You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-04-23 13.39.22.jpg
indydecal3.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Pinfest is coming up. Looking for something new, preferably wpc
Would love bsd and that's what I'm leaning towards.

I have a lead on a really nice indy.

Thoughts on the pin? Prices? How's it compare to bsd?

#2 10 years ago

Fun, fun pin. Neat shots, and the layout is different than most. I'd go for it.

If you do, make sure you get the checkered flag sideboard decals. They really brighten the game up and make it look great.

Later,
EV

#3 10 years ago

I bought my Indy 500 almost two years ago for $3600.00 with no cabinet fade and a completely shopped out playfield. It's a great game with a lot of things to do. It's definitely underrated, as the game plays very fast, similar to the Getaway which I also have. But Indy just has more things to do, and is more challenging.

I would pick one up if the price is right as they are difficult to find. You sometimes will see one for sale on Ebay, or better yet here on pinside.

#4 10 years ago

What happened to Wh20?

#5 10 years ago

My line on the wh20 didn't pan out

#6 10 years ago

Always thought it was a pretty vanilla game. Nothing special about it. If I saw one for $1500 I would consider, beyond that, so many other games I would spend money on first.

#7 10 years ago

I've had my Indy500 for almost 3 years now and love it. It's not a very common game among the local collectors I know and you should check out Bowen's tutorial on it here to get an idea of the game play, modes and shots.

http://papa.org/2013/10/23/indianapolis-500-tutorial/

#8 10 years ago

I have only played it a few times, but I really liked it. Neat shots and a theme that I enjoy. I hope to have one someday.

#9 10 years ago

I500 is a solid 90s game and very under-rated imo. Nice combination of fast flow with a bit of stop-and-go, great theme integration, good dots and humor, deep ruleset, good tournament machine with balanced scoring, etc.

You asked how it compares to BSD....I think I500 is a much better game, although I like BSD too (I own both).

#10 10 years ago

its a great game if you want to improve your playing skillz. comparing it to bsd is tuff. they play totally different. bsd can give you an a** kicking at a moments notice. indy 500 you can play more consistent.
both of those games would be awesome to have in a players collection..not just to stare at and admire, but actually play.
you dont need mods or any nonsense...keep em stock, shop em out, set up em challenging for you, and go to town

#11 10 years ago

if you need a inside decals set, i ll be in A-town and i can sell you one...custom made

#12 10 years ago

Seems like it has a lot of shots, but I've never played it. I'm guessing there are a lot of people who have never got a change to really get into this or buy it.

#13 10 years ago

The layout is pretty similar to Elvira and the Party Monsters, if that's of any help.

I prefer Dracula, because I find it more of a challenge, but Indy is still fun.

#14 10 years ago

Sold mine and regret it very, very... very much. Having a devil of a time finding another one. Make sure the LED targets work as they are hard to find and can really take a beating. The game has a few quirks with the s/w and a few modes are useless, but the game really sticks to the theme of a race and never stops.

There is no wizard mode, just oodles of points to be had for completing the 4 major tasks and then... the game keeps racing on. It's a true player in my book. if you want a true challenge... set all 4 major tasks to completion with the last mode being 3x PF. When I owned the game the most tasks I had lit up was 3 out of 4 and only once got more than one task lit with 3x PF running. Check my rating for more details.

Best of luck!

#15 10 years ago

best game ever...i love mine!!!indydecal3.jpgindydecal3.jpg

#16 10 years ago

Fun game, don't see many around, especially one without fade.

Would be even better if the upper flipper shot had more options...

#17 10 years ago

Fun and fast. Rare game to find unfaded.
$1500-3500 range.

#18 10 years ago

For me Indy 500 is a top 10 game. I did a post awhile back calling it the forgotten gem of the 90s. It has jumped up the ratings lately. Awesome game that is challenging, has great music, humor and modes. Fast and fun game I highly recommend if you can find one.

#19 10 years ago

I'm getting one of these soon. Can't wait!

I've noticed lots of people mention that they are difficult to find. Looking at the production numbers though I see other games with similar production quantities that people don't mention are hard to find. Games like Jack•Bot, Congo, Who Dunnit. Is it possible that more Indy 500s were parted out than other games because of the tendency for unique parts to get damaged, like the light-ups?

#20 10 years ago

I think a good deal of these games went to europe.

#21 10 years ago

Which would be funny because I wouldn't expect Europe to care much for Indycar. They love F1.

#22 10 years ago

There is no end to it. No wizard mode, just a race that never ends. It's like Daytona going on and on and on until you run out of gas. The game seems a bit pointless.

#23 10 years ago

While I can understand the disappointment about the lack of a wizard mode I certainly can't agree that it makes the game pointless. In fact, it is quite the opposite: the game is literally all about points. And it is regarded as a very balanced tournament-worthy machine. Which can't be said of many games that also have cool wizard modes.

For sure the victory lap could be cooler and more thematic. If it was more like an actual lap, say, making all the shots on the playfield from left to right, finishing with the turbo shot.

But then, considering there are three main objectives, does this wizard mode happen after you complete each one or all of them?

The way it is right now, the victory laps are very tactical. It's a players game. Players only care about scoring the most points.

#24 10 years ago

Let's just say the lack of a wizard mode has never been much of a problem for me

#25 10 years ago

There's some people that like games that are all about the points, and others that like games where you need to accomplish objectives (like certain modes, or all modes, if you're good.) So your point is well taken, it just depends what you like in a modern game. Personally i like completing objectives versus just going for higher point values. Thus Indy500 really is "pointless" (no pun intended) for a guy like me.

#26 10 years ago

I've had my I500 for almost 3 years and the thought of ever selling it has never crossed my mind because I love it. I saved this 45 min tutorial video I watched many times before actually got my game. I uploaded it to my youtube account for you guys to watch.

Enjoy!

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

There's some people that like games that are all about the points, and others that like games where you need to accomplish objectives (like certain modes, or all modes, if you're good.) So your point is well taken, it just depends what you like in a modern game. Personally i like completing objectives versus just going for higher point values. Thus Indy500 really is "pointless" (no pun intended) for a guy like me.

I understand. I also consider myself the kind of player that likes to accomplish objectives and progress through the game. I tend not to play for points but play to accomplish all of the goals in a game (no matter how lame the points might be). But I still don't find Indy 500 to be pointless. I agree that it can feel disappointing but I don't consider the lack of a finale or wizard mode to render all preceding gameplay meaningless.

#28 10 years ago

It's a damn fine game.

#29 10 years ago

It's a fun game. I thought it was actually pretty difficult, but maybe I just lack the skill. Super fast gameplay with some exciting moments. I had mine for about a year, and I think I that was long enough for me to get enough enjoyment out of it.

#30 10 years ago

I almost wonder what purpose the inlanes have besides ramp returns since any ball that gets slightly outside of slings is an automatic drain. And I still love the game. I gravitate toward longer ball time games but this one is 10 games in 5 minutes fast. Owned it a week and have only seen a few animations.

#31 10 years ago

Cracker pin

2014-04-23 13.39.22.jpg2014-04-23 13.39.22.jpg
#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Cracker pin

2014-04-23 13.39.22.jpg 377 KB

The nicest one I have seen Mike. Really fun game.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I'm getting one of these soon. Can't wait!
I've noticed lots of people mention that they are difficult to find. Looking at the production numbers though I see other games with similar production quantities that people don't mention are hard to find. Games like Jack•Bot, Congo, WHO dunnit. Is it possible that more Indy 500s were parted out than other games because of the tendency for unique parts to get damaged, like the light-ups?

Did you find one locally Josh? Pin number 3 or are you moving something on ?

#34 10 years ago

Yeah there's a local op who wants my Road Show so I decided to swap for his Indy 500. I haven't had your RS long but I've wanted an Indy 500 for ages and they're hard to come by! Plus I enjoy the thrill of something new and I don't have the money to afford pin #3 yet (especially since I emptied what I had in the Pinball Fund on an espresso machine ).

#35 10 years ago

great outer left orbit upper right flipper blind shot!

11 months later
#36 9 years ago

Never been able to play one where everything worked. Last one I saw was on an operators route at a pizza place (year ago). Half the machine didn't work properly. My guess I need to play a fully functioning one to better appreciate it. Seemed empty and void of anything to draw me back.

#37 9 years ago

I'm going to be in the minority, but here goes:

Really enjoyed playing this game on location and at another friends house. Was on my wish list for a long time. Finally got one (it was really nice too) and after 2 days I knew it wasn't for me.

I listed it for sale within the week of owning it. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

It goes down as the shortest amount of time that I ever owned a pin. Didn't care for it at all. There is nothing compelling about the game.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Really enjoyed playing this game on location and at another friends house. Was on my wish list for a long time. Finally got one (it was really nice too) and after 2 days I knew it wasn't for me.
I listed it for sale within the week of owning it. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
It goes down as the shortest amount of time that I ever owned a pin. Didn't care for it at all. There is nothing compelling about the game.

damn dude you just ruined my pursuit buzz lol... yeah that was a joke, kinda.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It probably still is on my wish list, but I think I might get bored of it if I owned it also...and I usually have fun playing it.

#40 9 years ago

Great game and am currently on my second one. This one seems way faster than my first. It has depth, humor and staying power. I'd like to know how many laps "bored Pinsiders" said they have finished?! I've never even come close to 200 laps. Traded my beautiful Getaway for my first Indy 500 and never regretted it-such a better game. Keep on the hunt, You'll enjoy it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

€ 17.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-indy500 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.