Thoughts on High Speed

By Jgel

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I have a lead on a High Speed. I love fast games and ramps. Is this a good one. It's Richie right? Anything you love or hate. I am not really into older titles so what would I be missing?

#2 12 years ago

Easily one of the best Ritchie games ever. High Speed in some ways, saved pinball and kept the silver ball going during the golden age of arcades.

#3 12 years ago

I love HS, it's a very simple game but it's what really set the pinball bug for me back in the day. it doesn't have the toys or DMD like HS2 but still a fun game, IMHO.

#4 12 years ago

Used to love this game as a youngster, haven't played it in my adult life. not sure how it would translate. I would love to own on though. Although the movie goonies translated well to my adult life, that movie still is awesome. lets make that pin, sorry im rambling...had a red bull for lunch.

#5 12 years ago

Hey Jgel, i just bought a HS2 Getaway a few weeks ago and I love it. From what i can tell HS looks very similar without the DMD and supercharger. If you would like to play a few games on it some time give me a shout.

Alex

#6 12 years ago

Have you played Getaway? It's basically the same layout and premise, with a lot more "heart and soul". Simple rules but tough as nails. Fast orbits with great spinners. Has the ST:TNG "Picard Maneuver" side ramp shot (though of course HS was first). Lots of character. Great art, sounds, speech, light show. Beacon on top adds great ambiance. Loading up the hideouts to start multiball will have you sweating bullets. Multiball will never last long. Jackpot is hard to get and the light show celebration for hitting it makes it feel very special. Extra ball and specials have a very nice celebration light show/sound too.

It also has some nice little touches like keeping the ramp diverter open after hitting the skill shot so you can nail the ramp a second time (good luck with that), the ability to rev the engine with the buttons before launching the ball, two ways to start multiball after "running the light" (ramp shot to hideouts or relight all the lights then hit the eject hole to escape).

Go for it. Set it up fast and furious. Enjoy. If you don't click with it, there's always a demand so resale won't be an issue. It is one of the highest regarded games from its era for a reason. Pure classic.

#7 12 years ago

Had one...Loved it for what it was....Don't miss it, but wouldn't pass on one again at a good price.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from boostedskex:

Hey Jgel, i just bought a HS2 Getaway a few weeks ago and I love it. From what i can tell HS looks very similar without the DMD and supercharger. If you would like to play a few games on it some time give me a shout.

Alex

From what I understand HS2 is better in almost every way. I tend to not like non-DMD games.

#9 12 years ago

HS is a great machine and did save pinball back in the 80's. I was looking for a HS recently but ended up picking up a Getaway. After a month or so of playing it I really wish I would of waited and bought the original. But, thats just me. Many feel the exact opposite.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

boostedskex said:Hey Jgel, i just bought a HS2 Getaway a few weeks ago and I love it. From what i can tell HS looks very similar without the DMD and supercharger. If you would like to play a few games on it some time give me a shout.
Alex
From what I understand HS2 is better in almost every way. I tend to not like non-DMD games.

I couldn't disagree more. Much like Pinbot to Jackbot, High Speed did it first and did it better. Getaway sucked out all of the soul and added a stupid racetrack thingy that you can't even interact with. Yuck. If you want something like that supercharger, at least get a No Fear where it takes some skill to keep it up there, rather than just watching it go around.

If you limit yourself to only DMD games, you are missing so many wonderful games that this hobby can offer. I never met a System 11 game I didn't like, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Just my opinion of course, and I respect that opinions differ..

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I never met a System 11 game I didn't like, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm with you there....While I like newer DMD games too, system 11 games were the best designed, best era of SS games and really saved pinball in the 80's.

#12 12 years ago

nice game

#13 12 years ago

I owned one - and If I had more room I'd be looking for another one. VERY fun pin - a classic from the 80's. Yes, it's a Steve Richie design, and some say one of his best.

"Dispatch this is 504 - He got away"

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Jediturtle said:I never met a System 11 game I didn't like, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm with you there....While I like newer DMD games too, system 11 games were the best designed, best era of SS games and really saved pinball in the 80's.

Own it love it. System 11 +1. I own transporter the rescue also, another sys11. Also a fun game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-high-speed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.