(Topic ID: 97436)

Thoughts on flintstones (non waffle edition)

By Blackbeard

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Looking for a fun pin for me and the wife and FS looks fun and lighthearted. I have a lead on one that needs some work with the backbox decals and some switches.

Fun game? Is like to hear from owners who have had it for awhile and not just people who have a game or two on it.

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Fun pin, loads to do, bowling rocks, tons of mods, and a huge following. I scored mine 4 years ago and "Bedrock" isn't leaving ever.~SpOoKy

#3 9 years ago

I had one, lasted a few months. Side art is ugly, but the art on the play field is really good. Fun game, fun rules, if you can get it cheap enough I think its worth your time. I'm not sure its a forever keeper though, it eventually got old for me.

#4 9 years ago

It's a fun game. One of Trudeau's better efforts. Decent amount of things to do and modes to play.

The Machine entrance switch is ALWAYS mangled. The up-kicker cup will break off resulting in balls in the lower cabinet. The little teardropped-shaped thing under the machine for the turn-around will work loose and trap balls. Drop targets need a good going over occasionally. The plastic form over the apron will dump balls off if it's screws are over-tightened.

Good game. Pretty dependable after a good shop-out.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

Fun pin, loads to do, bowling rocks, tons of mods, and a huge following. I scored mine 4 years ago and "Bedrock" isn't leaving ever.~Spooky

Agree! Had mine for about 6 months. There are plenty of cool things to do! The ball going behind the flipper is a nice twist. Not sure why it just got a bit boring for me. Note the play field is very dark in places. LEDS and some spot lighting are a must. Overall a fun game. If it was up to the wife it would still be in our collection! A favorite for non-pinheads when they came over as well.

#6 9 years ago

I personally dislike it. Might be bc it has Rick Moran ass and John goodman instead of the cartoon families. I really dislike those two bozo's and the sound is very repetitious. Game was a dog for me but that is only my opinion. Several others like it as much as I dislike it. I'm glad one person likes it... The guy who bought mine!

ck

#7 9 years ago

I've owned it for over a year and don't see it leaving anytime soon.
Definitely add a few spotlights to the upper playfield. And as for the other comments, I haven't had any issues with switches or drops or the teardrop return or up kicker at all.
Granted I did a full topside/coil/flipper/broken switch rebuild on mine but have had zero issues for the past year.
And as for the ball falling off behind the flippers, 99% of the time you just have to adjust the pitch and balance of the legs. It takes some small tweaks/mirco turns but once you balance it you're good to go.

Drop me a pm if you want to chat.
-Ran

#8 9 years ago

My mom loves hers. She had it shipped in from California because she was looking for one for awhile after playing one at the local retail shop. We got the McDonalds Happy Meal toys and painted them to make a nice topper. I got her the cartoon translite and decal so it looks much better now as the cartoon version, and we added a few LED strips in the dino and over the concrete mixer. Hers sits beside Addams so the cabinet artwork look good together, and she actually plays it more than Addams. A little adjusting on the flipper ramp made it work just fine, so as Ranhorton said above it's just a little poking/leveling issue most of the time.

#9 9 years ago

Yep' biggest complaint is the movie artwork, but with the cartoon pf overlay and cartoon trans, Rosie goes away for good.~SpOoKy

#10 9 years ago

Thanks guys and gals.

The one i'm looking at is very player condition. Backbox is dinged up pretty bad and could use decals, but I don't see any repros unfortunitely. There are also a few switches that need adjusting (hopefully just adjusting ) and a possible lamp matrix issue, although not sure yet. Worse case is I have to send boards out to Coin op for repair.

Needs a shop badly too.

#11 9 years ago

For a game like Flintstones, as long as the price reflects the condition, that's perfect. It's not the type of game you need CQ. It's a fun player, plus it's VERY easy to shop out.

Quoted from Blackbeard:

Thanks guys and gals.

The one i'm looking at is very player condition. Backbox is dinged up pretty bad and could use decals, but I don't see any repros unfortunitely. There are also a few switches that need adjusting (hopefully just adjusting ) and a possible lamp matrix issue, although not sure yet. Worse case is I have to send boards out to Coin op for repair.

Needs a shop badly too.

#12 9 years ago

Fellas: Is there supposed to be some sort of light board behind the "Turkey For" sign?

From IPMD, I see a pic that shows a connector on the right of this sign plugged into something.

Is this a light board? The FS I may go look at seems to be missing this board altogether, but has lights running into Dino.

See pic below. You can see there is nothing behind the sign. Any info?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgThe pins are there, but no light board (if it really is a light board).

#14 9 years ago

Yes, a light board goes there that holds two 86 bulbs. They are meant to light up the two X's when bowling. Not super noticeable anyway, you mainly see the flashing "Bowl O Rama" insert.

#15 9 years ago

Thanks Spidey.

I'm wondering if another owner used that lighting to light up Dino. Perhaps he rerouted the wiring into Dino instead of those flashers.

#16 9 years ago

I have to say, Flintstones LOOKED like a decent game with some nice ramp shots, but nothing special to me. That said, I always wanted to play one. Got my chance at Allentown and I gotta tell you, I had a lot of fun playing it and would love to own a nice one down the line. I loved bowling and that left ramp shot. It also looks really cool with the house toys stuck in there. Adds a lot to the looks of the game. The cartoon decals are a MUST on this game. Rosie has to be eliminated.

Anyway, good luck to you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

#17 9 years ago

Probably not, the light board is only active during bowling, whereas it appears your Dino is on GI. My Dino is actually lit pretty well from using a "super" LED in the pop bumper that sits below it, although I'm tempted to put additional lights in there. You can just take off the Dino and look, it's not attached with screws.

#18 9 years ago

theres a specific dino mod that lights him up pretty good.

#19 9 years ago

Wondering if that light board is available. Ugh. I hate missing parts.

#20 9 years ago

I can't even find a part number on that light board.. Looking in the manual.

#22 9 years ago

Yep, if you click on Product Compatibility, it shows Flintstones. Not in stock, though.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

theres a specific dino mod that lights him up pretty good.

Correct. EBAY sell Judgedredd in the UK. I have purchased many items from him and have always been pleased. Along with that I added an amber/orange under cab light from him for Flintstones. Looked good!

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I've owned it for over a year and don't see it leaving anytime soon.
Definitely add a few spotlights to the upper playfield. And as for the other comments, I haven't had any issues with switches or drops or the teardrop return or up kicker at all.
Granted I did a full topside/coil/flipper/broken switch rebuild on mine but have had zero issues for the past year.
And as for the ball falling off behind the flippers, 99% of the time you just have to adjust the pitch and balance of the legs. It takes some small tweaks/mirco turns but once you balance it you're good to go.
Drop me a pm if you want to chat.
-Ran

My comments were about games that had been on route for months/years, after years already on route and mostly neglected. This game sounds a little worse for wear and likely to have some of these same issues I saw repeatedly on two different machines in the field.

#25 9 years ago

I had mine for only 4 months and I couldn't get into it , the bowling is the only fun part ....I really thought was going to like it but it was a huge dissapoiment . Buy it and play it for a while , there's a lot of people interest in buying one, it a popular one .

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

My comments were about games that had been on route for months/years, after years already on route and mostly neglected. This game sounds a little worse for wear and likely to have some of these same issues I saw repeatedly on two different machines in the field.

My bad.
You are definitely correct about the abuse this game could take on route.
Mine was a route game that needed some loving but luckily not too much.
I invested approximately $200 in parts (including a ton of LEDs) into mine and haven't had any issues.
However, I too feel that the game Blackbeard is looking at May be a bit overly neglected

#27 9 years ago

I like the game but was very disappointed in the fact that the flashers were barely used at all. It is obvious the game code is far from complete.

#28 9 years ago

Well I decided to pass. After spotting that missing 2 lamp board, I got a little nervous about what other things were missing.

I guess the hunt continues!

#29 9 years ago

Good luck with the search! I also saw Fish Tales on your wish list. IMO a lot more fun for a price point (depending on condition) thats not too much more than Flintstones.

#30 9 years ago

When we got my mom's machine, the audits showed that it had made over $47,000 while on route. The only part on it that doesn't look great are barely raised inserts at the bottom targets (shells?) showing a little wear, but everything else looked and played great. I know I baby all my machines, but I guess they were made to take a beating.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Well I decided to pass. After spotting that missing 2 lamp board, I got a little nervous about what other things were missing.

I think you made a wise choice.
I have had a bear of a time finding certain parts for flintstones.
I can't believe it's easier to find parts for my sorcerer than it is for my flintstones.

#32 9 years ago

Agreed.

FS is such a strange pin. Some hate it with a passion, others love it. It seems to sell for all over the place.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Agreed.
FS is such a strange pin. Some hate it with a passion, others love it. It seems to sell for all over the place.

A lot of the fun comes from the stacking. You can stack just about everything, but as usual, there are limits as to the order in which you can start them. It's a rush to have bowl-a-rama, concrete multiball, a regular mode and a dict-a-bird mode all going at the same time. You can even have 2 regular modes doing during this, although they time out rather quickly so it's hard to get too many 1/2/3 modes going at once. Fred's choice is a good one to start before mb because you'll get credit for every auto-launched ball, so just let 'em drain until the ball save timer expires. Super jackpot is a challenge because you typically have to bank it in, although from the looks of the pf, you'd think it's always a 3rd flipper shot.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

I like the game but was very disappointed in the fact that the flashers were barely used at all. It is obvious the game code is far from complete.

good point re: the flashers. very underused in this particular game.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

good choice, find a nicer one. they are out there.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

good choice, find a nicer one. they are out there.

thanks. After spotting that missing board, I just wondered what else.

I couldn't get seller sub $2,000.00, so I didn't think it was worth it. Heavily routed too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6.95
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-flintstones-non-waffle-edition and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.