20140510_175941_resized.jpg
photo (87).JPG
bad strokers dracula.jpg
85520.jpg
85506.jpg
8640562958_83efa8ecf5_b.jpg
imagesCAQODL7G.jpg
image.jpg
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago

"Same hieroglyphics over and over...what do they mean?"

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

"Same hieroglyphics over and over...what do they mean?"

I've never seen the movie before and wonder if I should? I know the Shadow call outs make a hell of a lot more sense after suffering through it.

"The sun is shining but the ice is slippery"

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's the worst translite I've ever seen. Who's the maniac who makes those!??!?! Make him stop! lol

The gorilla ogling the woman is what makes that translite "worth it".

#54 9 years ago

My Congo just left about an hour ago

#55 9 years ago

I traded a GL+$ for my Congo in 2011 haven't regretted it...It ain't going anywhere anytime soon! Great game with lots of shots and stuff to do. I did a bunch of MODS to it and added a Color DMD Sigma in green. There's some pics of it on the "what MODS have you done to your Congo" thread.
Midnight Madness is cool, and it scared the crap outta me first time I got it.

Phoebe

#56 9 years ago

The ppl who own one think there sitting on a Gem.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from AhhhBisto:

We are.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from AhhhBisto:

Tomorrow i will be sitting on a gem. Pics coming...

#59 9 years ago

Found two different colors on Congo. Not sure which one i like the best. Your thoughts?

85506.jpg85506.jpg 85520.jpg85520.jpg
#60 9 years ago

I

Quoted from Skyemont:Found two different colors on Congo. Not sure which one i like the best. Your thoughts?
I like mine just the way it is.that orange and green are GROSS!

85506.jpg 293 KB

85520.jpg 279 KB

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Found two different colors on Congo. Not sure which one i like the best. Your thoughts?

85506.jpg 293 KB

85520.jpg 279 KB

Definitely orange n

#62 9 years ago

Personally I think the powder coat looks awful.

Amazing game though.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Personally I think the powder coat looks awful.
Amazing game though.

I agree. Maybe it looks better in person but I like the stock SS

#64 9 years ago

As soon as I get it tomorrow I will check it out. I have started to Mirror Chrome my AFM from Mike and it looks great.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's the worst translite I've ever seen. Who's the maniac who makes those!??!?! Make him stop! lol

I want to know! It seems like every alternate translite out there is made by the same guy who takes scantily clad models and poorly photoshops them into something vaguely resembling the theme.

I guess it's more of a statement of the target audience than anything else that they see any success. Such poor taste.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Midnight Madness is cool, and it scared the crap outta me first time I got it.
Phoebe

I know the feeling. It was my first pin and I had no idea it was coming. I thought the whole game crashed and for about a second all I could think about was how am I gonna fix this. Lol

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I know the feeling. It was my first pin and I had no idea it was coming. I thought the whole game crashed and for about a second all I could think about was how am I gonna fix this. Lol

Cant wait to experience this.

#68 9 years ago

Both are terrible. If you want to plus it up, chrome it.

Quoted from Skyemont:

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

i think this might be the source.
http://www.pinballpickers.com/pinballmachines/congo/home.html

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Both are terrible. If you want to plus it up, chrome it.

I agree on chrome or maybe gloss black. I'm not a fan of either powder coat color posted above especially the two tone coin door. I think regardless what color you do the trim the coin door should always be left stock black.

#71 9 years ago

Wow. That probably changes my mind. Mirror Chrome looks fantastic on Congo.

#72 9 years ago

Great bang for the buck pin, but it wouldn't be close to making my top 10, so no, not a keeper.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

I've never seen the movie before and wonder if I should? I know The Shadow call outs make a hell of a lot more sense after suffering through it.
"The sun is shining but the ice is slippery"

Both of these pins are a lot better than the movies they are based on. (But is that really so uncommon ?)
Of the two movies, Shadow comes closer to being a near miss, whereas Congo is a pretty bad botch all around.

I have favorable memories of having played the Congo pin, and would welcome the chance to do so again. There was a supposedly pristine one up for sale in SoCal not that long ago, but I think they were asking at least $3,600. for it.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

One of my least favorite WPC games.
Theme and art are horrible, rules seem to make T2 look deep, and the under playfield is one of the stupidest and most pointless gimmicks in the history of pinball.
And I'm counting the roulette wheel Williams put in every other game in the early 70s.
This one seems to be creeping up in price but for the love of god I couldn't say why.
This game is strictly for Ernie Hudson fanatics and for people who can't get enough of lame video modes.

Wow, who shat in your Cheerios?

Theme and art are a matter of personal taste, but you're simply wrong about the depth of rules... the game lets you start working on multiple things at the same time, and really provides about as many good scoring options as I've seen on a pin.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How do you like my new BSD translite?
bad strokers dracula.jpgbad strokers dracula.jpg

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I have the same green, mirror blades and had a artist paint the speaker panel to blend in with the translite. Try to get pics tomorrow. That orange and side decals look amazing. Tough decision for u

85506.jpg 293 KB

85520.jpg 279 KB

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

How do you like my new BSD translite?

bad strokers dracula.jpg 46 KB

It would be perfect with the common typo "Stroker's"

#78 9 years ago

Okay! Here are a few pictures of the Congo i got today. Boy she needs a complete tear down. Flippers rebuilt, all new rubbers, etc.. Lots of tlc. But i love doing this so its going to be fun. Question for Congo owners, this one is all white on the sides and backbox. Is this faded or were there two different color Congos around? If its faded, it sure looks evenly faded. LOL

photo (87).JPGphoto (87).JPG

#79 9 years ago

Okay! Here are a few pictures of the Congo i got today. Boy she needs a complete tear down. Flippers rebuilt, all new rubbers, etc.. Lots of tlc. But i love doing this so its going to be fun. Question for Congo owners, this one is all white on the sides and backbox. Is this faded or were there two different color Congos around? If its faded, it sure looks evenly faded. LOL

photo (84).JPGphoto (84).JPG photo (85).JPGphoto (85).JPG photo (86).JPGphoto (86).JPG photo (87).JPGphoto (87).JPG
#80 9 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Question for Congo owners, this one is all white on the sides and backbox. Is this faded or were there two different color Congos around?

BAM:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-story-behind-congo-black-and-white-art-work

#81 9 years ago

And BAM! That answered a question I posted on the Congo Club thread! Thanks!

#82 9 years ago

Thanks Rarehero. That takes care of that question.

#83 9 years ago

Are decals available? I have not been able to locate them.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Are decals available? I have not been able to locate them.

You'd probably only be able to find the B&W kit decals.

#85 9 years ago

Anyone on here wanna sell Congo?

1 month later
#86 9 years ago

I will trade mine plus cash for a Tron pro if anyone is interested. Otherwise it's a keeper.

#87 9 years ago

I'll trade mine plus cash for an AC/DC premium.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This game is strictly for Ernie Hudson fanatics and for people who can't get enough of lame video modes.

Aren't you forgetting the estimable Tim Curry ("Rocky Horror", et al), who rarely fails to go delightfully over the top, and who also figures in both film and pin for The Shadow ?

#89 9 years ago

Hell I wouldnt mind getting rid of mine for the right price or trade. I just recently shopped it too!

#90 9 years ago

I gave some thought to selling my Congo when Tron came out, because the layout is so similar. I'm glad I let that feeling pass...I had Tron for 3 months in a temp trade, and I prefer Congo.

#91 9 years ago

Used Congo pf with Roms translight n apron sold for $1550 plus 200 shipping on eBay yesterday.. Games on the up n up.. Wasn't even a cabinet lol

#92 9 years ago

I heard somewhere that Congo is the best Data East /Sega game Williams ever made!! I really enjoy my Congo. Rules are o.k. and shots are satisfying. I think the lower PF is a weakness in terms of design because of the square drive on the Grey Gorilla becoming worn or the weld broken. Clay Harrell addresses this in one of his Pinball Ninja repair videos.. If you want to see some interesting tournament play on Congo, look at the Louisville Arcade pinball expo video of the PAPA circuit coverage. They had some killer games.

#93 9 years ago

Congo is one of the best games on the planet in my opinion. It is unique in so many ways.

#94 9 years ago

Does anybody have any idea why some Congos have the stainless steel inlane/outlane dividers, and some are plastic with the green leaves on them? Is there a place to get the steel ones? (Although I think the leafy ones match the machine better...)

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Does anybody have any idea why some Congos have the stainless steel inlane/outlane dividers, and some are plastic with the green leaves on them? Is there a place to get the steel ones? (Although I think the leafy ones match the machine better...)

Steel is how they came from the factory. Leaves are a mod.

#96 9 years ago

Well, that was easy. Thanks!

#97 9 years ago

As Long as I have a Collection, Congo stays. Awesome game, and even though its gets more love lately its still a very under rated game.

#98 9 years ago

I remember someone selling decals for the outlanes but I have never seen plastics.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I remember someone selling decals for the outlanes but I have never seen plastics.

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/lane-plastics-for-congo-p-2605.html?language=english

EDIT - sold out, sorry

#100 9 years ago

Congo has a fantastic layout. It's so solid that they tool the left half of the game and put it in Tron. The rules are good, but not great as there is a bit of unbalanced scoring. Shots from the upper flipper are super valuable and worth a whole bunch of points (Amy). If there is an exploit, it may be the G-R-A-Y to the lower pf, but even then, there is too much to do in multiball and the mystery/video saucer (can these be set to a standard sequence in tournament mode??). Some people don't like the fact that it doesn't have a wiz mode, but I don't think that this an issue as the gameplay really never stops, it just keeps on going.

Midnite madness is a nice bonus and this game packs one of the best skill shots ever seen in a pinball game.

Congrats on the purchase!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-congo-1/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.