Congo_#6.JPG
Congo_#5.JPG
Congo_#4.JPG
Congo_#3.JPG
Congo_#2.JPG
Congo_#1.JPG
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have a chance to buy a really nice congo and was just wanting to get some of your thoughts on gameplay. I guess a price check also, not sure what these are going for currently.

#2 10 years ago

There are many threads in this, I'm sure. It's a great pin, I would call it a "B+" pin in the same league as BSD, JM and The Shadow. $2000-3000 depending on condition.

#3 10 years ago

I figured there were several threads, but I ran a search and I didn't see a whole lot. not much current either. thanks for your reply though.

#4 10 years ago

The reviews are here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/congo/ratings

I'll add mine after coffee tomorrow. The quick summary is: good flow, good rules, cool toys, lower playfield gorilla is kinda meh.

Oh, and the price for a "really nice" one is probably 2700.

#5 10 years ago

cool, thanks for the link. never noticed that section on pinside before. great info.

#6 10 years ago

Great game with a lot going on. Volcano shot through the pops is cool. A lot of hidden awards in this game. Collecting diamonds is fun also. Nice video modes. Grey gorilla lower playfield is fun and gets harder each time you play it. Congo used to be a sleeper pin but now a lot of people are starting to see how good a game it really is.

#7 10 years ago

A lot of fun to play. Volcano shot and multi ball start are awesome. Amy's voice will make you stick knives in your ears. You get used to it though. The voice I mean, not the knives

#8 10 years ago

I have more than $5,000 in mine. $2700 will buy you a nice stock game, yes.

#9 10 years ago

Congo is a very fun game! It's on the easier side with longish ball times. The colors on the cabinet are often faded badly. Non faded examples will command a premium.

#11 10 years ago

I never get tired of seeing that pic.

#12 10 years ago

Probably the game most likely to never leave the collection.

#13 10 years ago

congo will never leave!

2500 gets you in the door.

2800 should get you a nice fully functioning example

4500 is top end.

2000 may get you a faded beater core in need of parts?

Keep in mind that there are some unobtanium parts for it so make sure your game has those things. Jump ramps are available, some plastics available form Germany, and sounds like full plastic sets are coming in the future?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Wow, I hope that's a HEP restoration - would love to see pics of that beauty. I got mine for $1600 10 years ago, and I think I've added another $600 for a new CPU, ramps and plastics. I highly recommend the replacement ramps, much thicker than the originals.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Wow, I hope that's a HEP restoration

Actually, it was a Goett restoration. It was a sweet game that I probably sold too cheap.
D

#16 10 years ago

If you can get a decent one at a fair price go for it. It is a fun pin that has a different layout and many interesting shots and features. It would probably be the last machine to leave my lineup because it seems to be the one game everyone enjoys and it is not easy to replace if you let it go. Price for a decent one 2600-3000

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I'm doing a restoration on one for a friend. He'll have a LOT more than $5000 into it when it's done but its one of his grail pins.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

^Agreed^

Fun game, got to play one at PAPA. Hope to maybe own one one day.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Actually, it was a Goett restoration. It was a sweet game that I probably sold too cheap.
D

Definitely sold too cheap IMHO. I wish I had hounded you more so i could have bought it originally from you. Mine is nice but yours was amazing!!!

#20 10 years ago

3200 is the number on this one. been described to me as collector quality with leds and no fade. couple of small nicks in black part of cabinet.

money is not the be all end all with me but, I guess im just concerned with value going forward. just seems like prices are softening a bit and I don't want to end up not being able to at least break even on it. just really on the fence as that price is REALLY stretching my budget at this time.

#21 10 years ago

Pinball is supposed to be fun and not an investment in anything other than enjoyment.

My advice is that if you are more concerned about the value of a game and the need to break even then you are 2 years too late for this hobby.

If you must factor in your cost then I always like to feel better by thinking of how many times I will play the game at 50cents per play. I can easily rack up 1000plays on each game in a year. Even if you buy at 3200 and sell at 2700 you basically just had a sweet pinball game in your very own home that you played 1000 times and playing pins in your own home is so much better than on route where they may not work 100%

Good luck in whatever you decide. Based on description 3200 sounds fair. I'd offer 3000 and see if it gets the deal done.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

3200 is the number on this one. been described to me as collector quality with leds and no fade. couple of small nicks in black part of cabinet.
money is not the be all end all with me but, I guess im just concerned with value going forward. just seems like prices are softening a bit and I don't want to end up not being able to at least break even on it. just really on the fence as that price is REALLY stretching my budget at this time.

Subtract 150 for the LEDs.

In all seriousness, I have yet to see a Congo that was LED'ed tastefully. I'd rather buy a really nice stock Congo for 3000.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I have yet to see a Congo that was LED'ed tastefully.

Then you really need to come over to my place ...

Congo_#1.JPGCongo_#1.JPG
Congo_#2.JPGCongo_#2.JPG
Congo_#3.JPGCongo_#3.JPG
Congo_#4.JPGCongo_#4.JPG
Congo_#5.JPGCongo_#5.JPG
Congo_#6.JPGCongo_#6.JPG

#24 10 years ago

Congo will never leave my collection. WAY underrated game. Mine looks awesome with LED's throughout. This game was made for LED's.

#25 10 years ago

Theme can be silly but one.of my favorite pins. Top notch game play!

#26 10 years ago

I like it. Fun game to play. And Tron's shot layout is pretty much a copy of it.

#27 10 years ago

Fun game with a lot going on. I wouldn't pay $2,500 or more for one though.

#28 10 years ago
#29 10 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

i just bought one i hope she comes with it

Little late on that one.

#30 10 years ago

it didn't arrive yet maybe i will be surprised!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

ME too!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Then you really need to come over to my place ...

I love your color choices - "hell yes" to white GI, and I love the volcano. The main problem I have with LEDs is that the playfield art gets obliterated by the brightness of the inserts. Congo is really vulnerable to this because it doesn't have any spotlights, so it's dark to begin with. I'm planning to add 3-4 spots to mine, and then I'll think about LED-ing the inserts.

Quoted from freddy:

<Beautiful game blocked by a ghetto booty>

I could live another 10 years without seeing that.

#33 10 years ago

Own one, and one of my kids favourites. Much improved with the alternate translate that is available. Love the LEDs and the various shots available. Go for it.

#34 10 years ago

I dont know what ghetto you live in but if the girls look like that i am ready to move in

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

congo will never leave!
2500 gets you in the door.
2800 should get you a nice fully functioning example
4500 is top end.
2000 may get you a faded beater core in need of parts?
Keep in mind that there are some unobtanium parts for it so make sure your game has those things. Jump ramps are available, some plastics available form Germany, and sounds like full plastic sets are coming in the future?

What parts are unobtanium for Congo?

#36 10 years ago

The volcano ramp and some of the gorilla mechs are the two I know.

#37 10 years ago

Congo is an underrated pin, and will shoot up in value like the Shadow!

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Congo is a very fun game! It's on the easier side with longish ball times. The colors on the cabinet are often faded badly. Non faded examples will command a premium.

I don't think its fade. They did two runs. One with color artwork that has a nice green in it Nd one that looks more black and white. Luckily, I have the nicer green artwork on mine.

#39 10 years ago

Congo is a great game. Real fun and awesome gameplay. The volcano shot is one of the best ever.
I just let mine go to trade for a lotr. That is the only reason.
I miss my Congo... guess i will buy another one someday.
Go for it!

#40 10 years ago

I love my Congo and for what I have into it I doubt I would be able to replace it with anything else that will satisfy me for the same money. One of the most satisfying shots is through the pop bumpers and up the volcano too as other have mentioned. The sounds and music are great except some of the call outs can get a bit annoying. I also wasn't a big fan of the translite so I replaced it with this one

IMG-20130410-WA0010.jpgIMG-20130410-WA0010.jpg

I love the double and triple takes it gets when people come over. First they notice the girl and then they notice all the guys and gorilla in the back creeping on her.

#41 10 years ago

Yup, just traded mine away too. Really fun game albiet a bit on the easy side.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't think its fade. They did two runs. One with color artwork that has a nice green in it Nd one that looks more black and white. Luckily, I have the nicer green artwork on mine.

I also heard there were congo "kits" and those came with the black/white artwork

#43 10 years ago

All these alternate translites make me "Puke" in my mouth a little. Just not tasteful at all.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

All these alternate translites make me "Puke" in my mouth a little. Just not tasteful at all.

It's not a permanent mod and I can easily change back to the original one. Even with this alternate translite I am still well under $2k for my Congo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 37.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-congo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.