(Topic ID: 251303)

Thoughts on Clear Coating a Backglass

By 850mph

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

672A2676-5A0C-49E3-B94D-EE943FD5A9F8 (resized).jpeg
    AA71C815-51CA-4039-8263-10519423AB14 (resized).jpeg
    123DD79B-0D84-4DA4-924C-01B24FCA04BD (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixtyfourbits.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Just don’t use this stuff. I ruined a perfect Shangri La backglass trying to “preserve” it. Didn’t even need done. It was fine but I saw so many posts about clearing old backglass I thought that’s what I HAD TO DO. Almost threw up after it dried and pulled the art. Now all the art is spider webbed and flaking. [quoted image]

Dang, I wish you had posted this sooner. I just sprayed this exact product on my haunted house backglass. It was damaged in a few small spots, but nothing too terrible. I just wanted to prevent any further damage. Once mine dries I’ll report back on if I had the same problems as you did.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Ahhhh Sorry man, I posted something in my 2X thread a while back but I think not many people saw it.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-major-recurring-problem-with-rustoleum-2x/page/2#post-5129729

Oh no need to apologize. I had actually searched on pinside for threads about clearcoating backglasses yesterday before spraying, but I didn't find yours at that time.
    When did you start to notice it cracking like that? Mine has been drying for the last 17 hours or so, and it still looks quite smooth, with no new defects or cracking (yet at least). I read that I should leave it for 48 hours though, so it still has a ways to go. My spraying technique was a bit different than yours, so we shall see if that makes a difference. If I read correctly, you did a few thin layers a few minutes apart. I did a light spray first, waited 30 minutes, then a heavier spray, waited 30 minutes, and then another heavier spray. I had a few areas where the art was curling up, so I wanted to put a heavy enough clearcoat on to hopefully press it back down. I'm also using seran wrap and small wood blocks to flatten to raised spots. I'm most nervous about how well the seran wrap will pull off when the clearcoat has dried.
    I'm currently running a dehumidifier in the same room as the backglass, to maybe help the drying process a bit.
    I'll keep you posted on if mine cracks like yours. Sorry to hear/see that happen to you.

672A2676-5A0C-49E3-B94D-EE943FD5A9F8 (resized).jpeg672A2676-5A0C-49E3-B94D-EE943FD5A9F8 (resized).jpeg

AA71C815-51CA-4039-8263-10519423AB14 (resized).jpegAA71C815-51CA-4039-8263-10519423AB14 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixtyfourbits.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-clear-coating-a-backglass?tu=sixtyfourbits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.