14 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by jrrdw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 14 years ago

I've been giving the pin a general clean and maintenance over the last couple of weeks, which is the first time I've really done any "discretionary" maintenance since buying the pin. The only things I'd done previously was fixing things that actually broke, like a stand-up target or a sound board that had a component fail.

I'd had a go previously at cleaning the playfield with some general purpose furniture cleaner, with unremarkable results. Then, on a whim, I decided to get some Mill Wax when ordering a rubber replacement kit, since I'd noticed that a few of the rubbers were definitely looking old and well past their use by date.

Anyway, the Mill Wax has been a revelation -- under all that dirt, there was still a very clean and bright playfield. I doubt the playfield had ever been properly cleaned since new.

Then I started doing some more systematic cleaning. One thing I noticed was that on many of the bulbs was a very fine layer of dust on the glass -- it left a sort of almost sooty smudge when the bulbs were wiped with the tip of my finger. I went and removed all the bulbs one at a time and gave them a wipe before testing and replacing them. Many of the bulbs were twice as bright after cleaning away the dust -- no kidding. Think about cleaning a really dirty window and suddenly all the light comes into a room. Like a poor man's LED upgrade...

Anyway, my wife was playing the game tonight and she complained it was now too bright and hard on the eyes. Uh-oh... I haven't even got the LEDs in there yet.

I might have to get her to acclimatise a bit before doing the LED thing. Either that or get her a special pair of pinball sunglasses.

Anyway, a bit of "discretionary" maintenance has made all the difference to my enjoyment of the machine. The new rubbers and clean playfield make a huge difference in responsiveness, and the brighter playfield just makes the whole playing experience so much more enjoyable (well, in my humble opinion, anyway...) I feel like I'm only now getting to know the machine as it was intended to be played... who woulda thunk it. And so now I'm buying LEDs, custom-made target decal sets, hole protectors...

So those are my thoughts on cleaning incandescent bulbs. My conclusion is that it leads directly to poverty by excessively stimulating enthusiasm for all manner of discretionary pinball upgrades.

#2 14 years ago

Oh yes I hear you, I love the pinball buzz too but not the cost!! I gotta have every part of pin running as clean and smooth as I can. I'm in the middle of a playfield strip down of Johnny M at the moment(about 10 hours so far), it's gonna be so sweet, this time i'm changing all black rubber posts for blue. I think the worst part of my deep cleaning is starting and then the parts and tools all over the place, I dont have a big games room so a strip down takes over the whole room cause i'm messy, this means no playing the others till the job is done, but I do know it WILL be worth every fiddly minute.

As for the LED upgrade i'm still learning/researching, my biggest fear is the cost of the trial and error in deciding which type, colour and position of LED's. I wish someone could create a virtual pin program so you could see different LED's in different positions of the pins you own, then after a few on screen tests you would know exactly which ones to buy. Simple eh!!!!!!

#3 14 years ago

Just get the wife a nice pair of designer sunglasses and don't forget to put on your "beer goggles"

It does get quite addicting .. I know I can't stand it when something isn't working perfectly. GOTTA FIX IT ... GOTTA FIX IT .. 3AM ? that's a good time since I can't sleep knowing about it.

BTW don't get the oil from your fingers on the incandescent bulbs. It is supposed to make them burn out quicker.

#4 14 years ago

"BTW don't get the oil from your fingers on the incandescent bulbs. It is supposed to make them burn out quicker."

That's a true statment. I use a piece of 1/4" fuel line (new) to hold bulbs while taking them out and in.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-cleaning-incandescent-bulbs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.