Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Bobby
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I am considering buying a NIB #star-wars-stern-le from flipnout1 (awesome & highly recommended!), but he is going to have some show games available after the Grand Ole Gameroom Expo in Nashville.

Anyone have experience or thoughts on buying a discounted game that was used at a show or tournament? What % discount would make you pull the trigger considering the 3+ days of use and abuse?

#2 6 years ago

3+ days to get bugs out or problems fixed.

If Flipnout 1 offers new game warranty, I'd do it.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

technically they may still be considered new as ownership was never transferred. Just like a new car with 10 miles on it after the salesman took it home to try. In which case full warranty applies, and no discount. Youd be lucky to get anything off, sadly.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

technically they may still be considered new as ownership was never transferred.

Yes

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

In which case full warranty applies

Yes

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

no discount. Youd be lucky to get anything off, sadly.

Nope

#5 6 years ago

A game opened at a show and then sold immediately after will have fewer plays on it than if you bought one from me that I bought NIB...food for thought.

#6 6 years ago

I bought a pin that way amd would do it again. If it was only $200-$300 off I'd probably rather not, but for $500+ off I definitely would.

3 full days probably equates to 400-500 plays.

#7 6 years ago

You should definitely expect at least 200-300 off, whether that's worth it to you is another story.

#8 6 years ago

One dollar off for every play on it seems fair.

#9 6 years ago

Do it, the games are being sold for great deals and Larry is a great guy. 300-400 plays is nothing for a pinball machine and if you are lucky something that would break early already will at the show and be fixed.

#10 6 years ago

I kick myself for not buying a Met Pro at show pricing for SFGE. I can’t find a used met pro at that price point now to save my life.

#11 6 years ago

Would not think twice about it and Larry is great to work with. Nashville show is not as large as most shows yet so it probably will not have many plays anyway.

#12 6 years ago

If it would make you feel any better and if you can spare the time and the money to do it, go attend the Expo. Check in periodically on Larry's show game(s) you have in mind to buy. Play them yourself and watch how much play they seem to be getting and whether people are treating them gently. Then decide to buy or not with some knowledge instead of always wondering whether the machine got abused.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBJB:

If it would make you feel any better and if you can spare the time and the money to do it, go attend the Expo. Check in periodically on Larry's show game(s) you have in mind to buy. Play them yourself and watch how much play they seem to be getting and whether people are treating them gently. Then decide to buy or not with some knowledge instead of always wondering whether the machine got abused.

Curious, what exactly would be abused from a few hundred plays at a show? Just get thebugs worked outa d you gettosee it before buying. Go for it.

#14 6 years ago

Abuse shouldn’t even be a worry. Buy with confidence. Expect a minor discount. Couple 2-3 Hundo.

#15 6 years ago

Bump for Larry. He's a great guy and has great customer service.

#16 6 years ago

It depends....if I plan on keeping the game for life then I would Proably jus buy new...if I planed on jus keeping it for awhile then selling or trading it then I think its a good deal....

#17 6 years ago

I would just buy a new one if it was me. It’s kind of like buying a new car, it doesn’t feel new if it has 300 miles on it. If you were talking 500 bucks off then maybe it would be something to consider, but a couple hundred bucks, I’ll just get a new one!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I would just buy a new one if it was me. It’s kind of like buying a new car, it doesn’t feel new if it has 300 miles on it. If you were talking 500 bucks off then maybe it would be something to consider, but a couple hundred bucks, I’ll just get a new one!

Agreed, it would need to be pretty significant or it's not worth it. I have also seen these show "deals" and they don't seem to sell quick, so you are smart to have hesitation.

#19 6 years ago

All these people around here screaming for better QC and testing at stern. Here is your chance to have your game extensively tested for a whole weekend, and you get to go over it with a fine tooth comb, AND get it for cheaper than a NIB. To be honest, this is how you should buy every single new game.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

All these people around here screaming for better QC and testing at stern. Here is your chance to have your game extensively tested for a whole weekend, and you get to go over it with a fine tooth comb, AND get it for cheaper than a NIB. To be honest, this is how you should buy every single new game.

yeah, I am amazed at all the people saying they would just buy new. This is a win/win/win... You get t inspect the new game before purchasing, you are able to save a few bucks, and all the bugs get worked out (or they dont and then you dont buy it).

Granted we also have to remember that many of these same NIB buyers dont even play their games much, so 300-500 plays would be alot of plays in their minds.

#21 6 years ago

300 or so plays on a new game is nothing. Go look at the thread of the ST pro on route with 20000 or something plays on it. These things are meant to be played and contrary to what pinside seems to think, stern do not fall apart after 100 plays.

#22 6 years ago

Well..in a couple 100 plays on our SW we had 8 ghosting inserts (now 12) and a busted Tie Fighter wing. We've also had to replace a node board that failed.

I would think 4-500 is the magic number. There's no shipping involved...and a couple hundo off the price. Of course the sale tax thing might be a grey area as well

Quoted from jgentry:

300 or so plays on a new game is nothing. Go look at the thread of the ST pro on route with 20000 or something plays on it. These things are meant to be played and contrary to what pinside seems to think, stern do not fall apart after 100 plays.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Well..in a couple 100 plays on our SW we had 8 ghosting inserts (now 12) and a busted Tie Fighter wing. We've also had to replace a node board that failed.

Another reason to buy a show game. Also IMO, if your game is going to have these isssues, it’s going to have them regardless of the number of plays.

Now if you needed to rebuild the flippers, pop bumpers, repair broken welds, etc after 100 plays I would be concerned. But again, pretty easy to see all that after a weekend of play then make your decision.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Curious, what exactly would be abused from a few hundred plays at a show? Just get thebugs worked outa d you gettosee it before buying. Go for it.

Didn't mean to suggest there'd definitely be any abuse. Just recognizing the OP's comment about "3+ days of use and abuse."

Personally, I go very easy on most machines I'm playing. I nudge and bump as little as possible -- often to my own disadvantage as I suffer tons of drains that a good shake almost surely could've prevented.

#25 6 years ago

I have only bought my NIB games this way. If there is a problem it's instantly handled, if an adjustment needs to be made its adjusted by someone for me, and the price is a hair cheaper. To me, either of those are worth it. All three together? Absolutely.

I have bought five games this way.

1 week later
    #26 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will be taking home an SW Premium show game from Larry at Flipnout after the Grand Ole Gameroom Expo in Nashville. Super excited!

#27 6 years ago

I would have no hesitation buying a game at a show. They are NIB taken out for the show and if it needs an adjustment, it is made there. As a guy who has bought several games from Larry = buy with confidence; Larry is a standup businessman and a veteran as well!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-buying-a-show-or-tournament-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.