(Topic ID: 9371)

Thoughts on buying a NIB machine in 2012...............

By iceman44

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rocky_and_Mugsy.jpg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

The sales pitch for AC/DC is coming in the next week or two, with the LE version created first, I assume to generate as many pre orders as possible......

Then WOZ will be coming out in March (since JJP is making them I'll go with what he says re production).....and when it's hugely successful, people like myself will line up for #2 as well....

And then we'll be talking about XMEN this summer as well......

That's a WHOLE LOT of inventory coming out in the first half of the year, we are about to find out how big this hobby is and what it can absorb......I also wonder how the operators are going to handle this when players don't want to play "PRO" models on location when they have seen or heard so much about the LE versions........

Because of all that inventory, I think if you like a Transformers or any other NIB, this spring will be the best time to buy cheaper as the distributors make room for these new titles and don't want to get stuck........

And how many times have you heard someone say, "I need to sell my ______ to make room for WOZ, or TFM or AC/DC or whatever".....the secondary pins have to go somewhere!

So to keep up at this rate, every single collector/player will have to own a dozen machines or more like some folks on here (congrats to them!)....

Will the hobby implode, explode or keep pace.....to keep pace, both Stern AND JJP are gonna expect us, the collector and pin enthusiast to keep shelling out big $$$$, I'll do my part because I love it and have the dough....where does it all end up!

#2 12 years ago

I've thought the same thing myself, and would like to get a NIB game this year to "get it out of my system" and due to the opportunities you just mentioned. The only thing I struggle with is laying out the dough for one NIB, when I could have multiple games to add to my collection. Oh well, it's only money .

#3 12 years ago

Only way I'm buying a NIB in 2012 is if I find one with a Bally/WMS logo on the box.

#4 12 years ago

I'm w John.

#5 12 years ago

At the moment it is cheaper to buy a SS or WH20 and add a new playfield etc. The NIB 2012 pins are going to have to be good as I can get a 'NIB' WH20 for less bucks and I know I will love it!!

#6 12 years ago

Great post Iceman as I was just thinking your exact thoughts. Pinball is not "back" by any stretch of the imagination from a business/operator perspective............However, it is on fire from a collector/hobby perspective, especially when you see Monster Bash selling for $7500 every other day. Given the new releases and the current inventory, it won't take much to saturate the market, which should cause price declines. All it will take for is for some impressive new titles to hit the market in 2012-2013. Stern & JJP need collectors, but what they don't need is secondary games being restored/maintained and cycled back onto the market without them getting a piece of the action. The aftermarket parts business has allowed collectors to bring games back from the dead which is not always good for new sales. I know JJP has mentioned leasing games to operators with the intent of taking them back to sell on the secondary market. I think this is a great idea, just not sure there are enough operators to build a business model around it.

#7 12 years ago

If there was a title I could fall inlove with I may pop on a NIB. Not really into the music themed pins. Talk about the Elvira 3 pin was the only theme that really sparked my interest. Am looking forward to people needing more room, hoping to find some deals.

#8 12 years ago

Jack said on the Spooky Podcast that JJP won't have another game out until 2013. He is dedicating all of 2012 to producing WOZ, and he expects the guys to start working on a new title around July 2012. He said that they might be helping someone else with a game that is being produced (John Popadiuk????), and that if that happened, we could expect that game in 2nd quarter 2013 and the actual 2nd JJP title (unlicensed still - and he said that the Elvira theme was not dead, just on hold until WOZ was done) for Christmas 2013.

He confirmed that he badly wants the Hobbit and intends to do whatever he needs to do to get the license. They are shooting for one machine per year, so that would be machine 3, for 2014.

#9 12 years ago

Ok stern isn't Williams! I get that (and agree)! But they are keeping pinball alive! I just wish Pat Lawler would design a Widebody for someone! Hint hint JJpinball!

As for buying NIB this year. Lack of $!

#10 12 years ago

i just don't see how NIB being 7000+$ is economical annually unless you have a lot of extra 'mojo' to throw around. its great to see another company (JJ) pushing stern to produce some quality pinball machines though.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The sales pitch for AC/DC is coming in the next week or two, with the LE version created first, I assume to generate as many pre orders as possible......

That may have changed. Which version comes first. With Steve turned loose both versions will have a lot, and the LE is going to have a heck of a lot more.

LTG

#12 12 years ago

the biggest hang up I have on a New in Box pin has always been
    "will you still enjoy it a year latter?"
    I feel the theme really has to pull you in 100% or dont bother - just my 2 cents

#13 12 years ago

No on WOZ due to the theme. So it looks like 2013 at the earliest for a JJP pin for me. No on AC/DC due to theme. X-Men is a good theme but it needs to be a step up from Transformers LE. Transformers LE was a very good effort but still lacking IMO.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Only way I'm buying a NIB in 2012 is if I find one with a Bally/WMS logo on the box.

Good luck with that!

#15 12 years ago

It seems to me that one reason the prices of used pins keeps going up is because the price of NIB pins keeps going up.

If people feel that they can get more pin for their money by buying used instead of NIB, it will drive those prices higher.

#16 12 years ago

Man, it would have to be a slam dunk theme and be designed by one of the greats for me to do it! No buying without seeing first. You guys that shell out $7500 up front without seeing anything are ballsy... oh, that was bad.

#17 12 years ago

I waited until the whitewood video came out before going in on WOZ. Widebody, two mini PFs, spinning house, wire form cross, LCD....all being designed by the guy that brought us TSPP on a shoestring budget? The whitewood video was enough to convince me.

#18 12 years ago

If WOZ delivers, i will consider a nordman pin contingent on proper theme. No way on the ac/dc or avenger theme and after all the qc bitching going on over tf...

#19 12 years ago

Yeah think a ton of weight or wait is on WOZ
    If it's good or better then any Stern will they take a big price cut?
    Or if WOZ is viewed by a large majority of players better then Spiderman what will happen?

#20 12 years ago

Good discussion Iceman. I was thinking the same thing as I started to re-arrange my gameroom with my wife yesterday. Discussion centered on my "max" based on room, what titles would get voted off if a new title came out and space was my issue, and what made sense to possibly store versus sell. Good talk but made me think - ALOT.

As we moved pins around and decided for right now no TV area in the basement, I thought to myself a few options (besides I'm nuts):

1. Sell/trade a few titles to get a MM and BBB - thus lowering # of pins but having a solid dream lineup of a only a handful.

2. Sell off half the collection, use the space and spend the proceeds on the best home movie theater.

3. Just keep two titles and don't be an active collector. I honestly believe the pinball market in general is at an all time resale high for many reasons stated above. I expect it will come dropping down in the next year minus a few rare titles as people rationalize old game versus NIB for similar price.

Then I shook my head and said not yet. But the voices continue ever so faintly.

I'm in on WOZ and happy to wait for it. Avengers or X-Men would be so hard to pass up - don't think I could. AC/DC which sounds like it could be cool with great music - theme just isn't enough for me. I'll just play Ac/DC music next I play IM. Plus with my home arcade real estate almost exhausted - AC/DC won't cut it. Passed on TF LE for same reason. Love theme but so far, more scrutiny for available real estate and decided Avengers or XMen would want more based on gameplay. Very hard to keep adding more NIB pins without higher scrutiny especially with competition.

I also wish that JJP comment on maybe helping someone else out was more clear. If it's for MM remake I'm so in. If it's John P and his magic girl mainstream - hmmm. If it's Gene with Kingpin I'm not in. But two of those titles do make me pause. What ta do what ta do what ta do?

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

qc bitching going on over tf...

Good point. We all keep saying JJP will be good for competition with Stern and then the qc is still poor. Their customer service is great though - should be mentioned - but they do need to up their product with the new prices.

#22 12 years ago

Thoughts? If I can't find my AFM and TF is as good as some of you claim...I just might do it, rabbit.

Rocky_and_Mugsy.jpgRocky_and_Mugsy.jpg

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I'm in on WOZ and happy to wait for it. Avengers or X-Men would be so hard to pass up - don't think I could. AC/DC which sounds like it could be cool with great music - theme just isn't enough for me. I'll just play Ac/DC music next I play IM. Plus with my home arcade real estate almost exhausted - AC/DC won't cut it. Passed on TF LE for same reason. Love theme but so far, more scrutiny for available real estate and decided Avengers or XMen would want more based on gameplay. Very hard to keep adding more NIB pins without higher scrutiny especially with competition.

I think that's a great point....isn't there going to have to be higher scrutiny on NIB's and the machines in the lineup?

With a LOTR LE, WOZ on the way and SM as soon as I can find one, I would like to eventually limit my collection to 6 games or so, that I would keep forever! Easier said than done...

I'd like to have a WH20, Totan, TZ, SS, BBB, etc., but so does everybody else! I guess patience is necessary in pin world.....

One thing is for sure, I don't think "the road goes on forever and the party never ends"

#24 12 years ago

Whoa, a lot to reply to...
    -AC/DC is welcomed
    -WOZ is welcomed, March production? Sure, first machine received? TBD...
    -X-Men would be welcomed
    -O.K. about whole PRO vs LE operated? I've never seen an LE on route.
    To me it doesn't make sense to route an LE.
    LE is for collectors or the very rare collector operator (I know one in FL).
    PRO to me is just fine to operate.
    -I don't know if TF pro or LE will drop in price, they'll be in inventory for sure still
    -I've personally heard of/seen people sell machines to make space for WOZ,
    these same people then make space for more machines or just buy more as well haha
    -Frankly STERN and JJP can put out machines at the rate they are, as long as they don't lose money they'll make X amount of machines, we don't know how many of X amount of Stern games have been released for a while, so it's not like they over make them.
    JJP will produce at rate of sales.

#25 12 years ago

I just don't see the point of the NIB machine. Every time someone posts a thread about looking at a machine everyone says "Don't buy a machine you have not played." It is too high of a risk. When was the last time a new machine went up in value a year or two after it was new? You can wait for reviews and pick up a machine at a discount. Most machines go down in price it seems. Avatar, Tron can be had for below new and you can find out if you like it or not by playing it. I can't think of a single title I would drop $7000 on before I could play it.

#26 12 years ago

There aren't going to be enough WOZ LE machines produced to take that chance, IMO.

Now, there will be a glut of regular WOZ machines out there for sale, when operators' lease agreements with JJP run out. I bet he leases out a buttload of these games on that plan. Plus, he is sticking them all of his accounts - one of his businesses is the biggest operator of coin ops on location in the US. Dave & Busters is placing them in their locations, too. Those machines will end up on the market in a year or two. So, you are probably right about the standard WOZ machine being more affordable down the line.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

- one of his businesses is the biggest operator of coin ops on location in the US. Dave & Busters is placing them in their locations, too. Those machines will end up on the market in a year or two.

Thanks Gambit.........You just answered one of my big questions. The last time I saw a pinball machine in Dave & Busters was a while back and they were Star Wars Episode 1 & Revenge From Mars. It will be good to see them back in their locations.

#28 12 years ago

I think B and C pins will slowly come down in price. A pins may drop a little but there will always be strong demand and a limited supply.

With JJP number 2 coming out in 2013, at least I have time to wait!

Stern's QC is a worry and I would have to just love the theme to bits to buy a NIB. Only a Pink Floyd pin could tempt me

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

There aren't going to be enough WOZ LE machines produced to take that chance, IMO

Agreed, this will be the only pre order I'll make ever, unless WOZ is great and I keep my #81 for title 2 from JJP, which I'm counting on.........otherwise....

Quoted from Jgel:

can't think of a single title I would drop $7000 on before I could play it.

Playing SM and TFM LE side by side made me want an SM and not a TFM LE Wow, didn't realize Dave & Busters was a JJP coin op account.....his coin op business will certainly help WOZ leasing....a great plan, lease em up and then sell on secondary market when lease is up!

#30 12 years ago

Dave & Busters isn't a location account for him. They buy everything they place on their floor, outright. I don't remember which podcast Jack gave out all this info on - Gameroom Junkies, maybe? He said that he was selling the crap out of that $25,000 WOz pusher, and that Dave & Busters buys exclusively through Jack and has promised to buy X number of WOZ pins.

Jack fully intends to make it very easy for this machine to get onto location. The op lease is a great idea. He wants this machine in grocery stores and malls and everywhere we remember seeing them when we were kids.

#31 12 years ago

Of the Top 40 rated machines only 1 machine, Earthshaker, was made in the 1980's and that was 1989.....by sheer numbers alone of new machines, and new technology, one would think that the second tier machines, many of the 90's, would lose value as they get pushed down the list and become less desirable.......

#32 12 years ago

Even if Stern continues to produce 2-3 titles per year, and JJP is putting out 1, it won't be a production anywhere near the number of titles coming out from W/B, Data East, Gottlieb, etc...in the 80's and 90's. Plus, Stern has been producing a bunch of pins for several years now, and only a handful have cracked the top 25 - and time will tell if titles like TF and Tron stay there. DMD games took over the industry and revolutionized those "Best Pins" lists. It will take an all new technology to do that same thing again, and maybe it is the LCD. But I have my doubts. Nonetheless, it will take years and years to get enough LCD titles out there to effect the market on DMD games.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Thoughts? If I can't find my AFM and TF is as good as some of you claim...I just might do it, rabbit.

Attachments Rocky_and_Mugsy.jpg (160.5 KB, 0 downloads) 2 hours old

Hey Gorilla, I have your AFM. But it will take some maneuvering, as I would have to end up with MM at the end of the swapping and horse trading. Anyone ever swung a 3-team trade on pins??

Here is the AFM....
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-shop-finished

#34 12 years ago

Having a chance to get under the hood of a few new sterns, I can't say I'd buy NIB unless something drastically changes in produt quality. The money is just not actually in the current product offerings.

Machines today are built cheap, play cheap, and feel cheap.

JJP has my interest with his "no expense spared" approach. I'm lucky enough to have a local arcade that's orded an Emerald Edition. If I see the money I put out in the product I buy, NIB will be an option for me again.

For now, "Costco" pinball NIB can stay on the shelf.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

When was the last time a new machine went up in value a year or two after it was new?

Well other than TRS-LE and Avatar-LE, pretty much every LE machine Stern has made!
    Have you shopped around recently for any of the favorites??? (SMB, LOTR-LE, TRON-LE?) They are holding their value and SMB is getting ridiculous $$$ as of late.

Quoted from Firebaall:

Machines today are built cheap, play cheap, and feel cheap.

Hardly the case...
    QC is a little more relaxed, sure- I get that... But I have had far less issues with the newer Sterns than with other B/W machines. The S.A.M. driver board works really well, PLUS you can get all of your games parts easily enough with little headache.
    Other than the muddled DMD animations, Stern has some amazing games IMO.
    I will continue to support ANYONE who keeps the Pinball torch lit... PERIOD.

NIB's just have a "Kid-on-Christmas-Day", feeling when opening one. That is worth at least $500 in the ol' "mental bank" right there! You can sometimes score a NIB for below used depending on the season and title. I did with IM and LOTR-LE...
    You just have to time it!

Had I been at the Costco Honda took pictures of in 2010 with that TDK, I would have snapped it up!
    Alas, mine just had the classic...
    I bet TDK's crane will most likely outlast JM's glove, LAH's crane and DM's claw combined!
    O.K. rant over...
    "We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread."

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

NIB's just have a "Kid-on-Christmas-Day", feeling when opening one. That is worth at least $500 in the ol' "mental bank" right there! You can sometimes score a NIB for below used depending on the season and title.

Ditto that on worth an extra $500!.....Plus, I'm mechanically challenged and need a machine with a good head start....so to speak

#38 12 years ago

I'd rather someone else takes the risk on a NIB and then I buy it off them for near cost price a month or two later That's how to avoid the Stern QC gremlins.

Nothing for me in 2012, well - as far as the speculative crystal ball goes anyway. I couldn't afford a WOZ and don't like widebodys that much anyway, no interest in AC/DC or X-Men as themes, I think I'll be spending more time fixing up some of my 'player' machines which lurk in the garage all alone. Black Rose needs a replacement playfield for example due to plenty of insert wear the seller told me wasn't there.

#39 12 years ago

Nothing NIB for me either in 2012. If JJP delivers on WOZ and the next theme is a good one, I'll be laying down a deposit on their next pin.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Nothing NIB for me either in 2012. If JJP delivers on WOZ and the next theme is a good one, I'll be laying down a deposit on their next pin.

So many people are saying this!

I am also thinking the same

#41 12 years ago

When I get my WOZ, which I will be toward the end of the LEs produced since I waited for the whitewood video to pull the trigger (they are shooting for 15 per day, starting on 3/13 - so whatever it takes to get to the mid 900s), anyone that wants to drop by to check it out will have an open invitation.

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Jgel said:When was the last time a new machine went up in value a year or two after it was new?
    Well other than TRS-LE and Avatar-LE, pretty much every LE machine Stern has made!
    Have you shopped around recently for any of the favorites??? (SMB, LOTR-LE, TRON-LE?) They are holding their value and SMB is getting ridiculous $$$ as of late.
    Firebaall said:Machines today are built cheap, play cheap, and feel cheap.
    Hardly the case...
    QC is a little more relaxed, sure- I get that... But I have had far less issues with the newer Sterns than with other B/W machines. The S.A.M. driver board works really well, PLUS you can get all of your games parts easily enough with little headache.
    Other than the muddled DMD animations, Stern has some amazing games IMO.
    NIB's just have a "Kid-on-Christmas-Day", feeling when opening one. That is worth at least $500 in the ol' "mental bank" right there! You can sometimes score a NIB for below used depending on the season and title. I did with IM and LOTR-LE...
    You just have to time it!
    Had I been at the Costco Honda took pictures of in 2010 with that TDK, I would have snapped it up!
    Alas, mine just had the classic...
    I bet TDK's crane will most likely outlast JM's glove, LAH's crane and DM's claw combined!
    O.K. rant over...
    "We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread."

I agree with most of this, well said!

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I waited until the whitewood video came out before going in on WOZ. Widebody, two mini PFs, spinning house, wire form cross, LCD....all being designed by the guy that brought us TSPP on a shoestring budget? The whitewood video was enough to convince me.

The irony is that some people actually asked for their money back when the white wood video was released. Hard to tell a lot at that point, but can you imagine what people would have thought if they had a chance to see an AFM white wood video? It wouldn't look like much of anything.

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

When I get my WOZ, which I will be toward the end of the LEs produced since I waited for the whitewood video to pull the trigger

I pre-ordered mine on January 9, the first day you could. I'll happily sell you my spot in line for $500.

#45 12 years ago

I wish they set the order on who was paid up first. I know they still have people making the scheduled payments thru 1/15, and I could jump up several spots that way. But alas...I will be waiting long after the reviews are already in.

#46 12 years ago

I can tell you one thing, I will be very hesitant about buying another NIB Stern after this whole TF-LE fiasco. I probably wouldn't have bought this one if it weren't for the fact that I'm already a huge Transformers fan (and my kids are as well). Luckily, the gameplay + theme are making up for the crappy decals + general lack of fit & finish.

Generally speaking though I'd say NIB is not worth what Stern is asking.

And I *like* Stern games.

#47 12 years ago

Those issues would be easier to swallow if that TF cost $4900.

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Those issues would be easier to swallow if that TF cost $4900.

I guess I'd say it's not so much about the exact dollar amount and more about what they're selling vs. what they're delivering. They're selling a premium, collector quality product but delivering it with economy class QC & manufacturing. I didn't feel that way about IM (which I also bought NIB) but I do with TF-LE.

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from Benaar:

They're selling a premium, collector quality product but delivering it with economy class QC & manufacturing. I didn't feel that way about IM (which I also bought NIB) ...

It does seem like Stern's QC has gone down quite a bit since IM. People always had some issues, but they appear to be much more prevalent on the last few games.

#50 12 years ago

I had the chance to get a TRON Pro for $3000 in November at SPF.
    The only thing was that it has a 1.5" hole in it for some reason.

I personally can wait and pick up a game a few months or a year old
    to get it for around $3000 used instead of $4500 new.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-buying-a-nib-machine-in-2012 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.