web2.jpg
web3.jpg
web4.jpg
web6.jpg
web5.jpg
web9.jpg
web7.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I just recently bought a Hyperball game and I was hoping to get a little feedback on what to expect when I get it. I paid under $500 for the machine and got some really detailed pictures of it. I wanted something different to add to a collection. I know from reading reviews on this site along with the IPD site that it is noisy, prone to mechanical breakdown and very hard with short games on the factory settings. It would be going into a collection of pins such as Champion Pub, Revenge From Mars, Frankenstein, Dracula, Black Rose, Theatre of Magic so it would probably be played occasionally or when we have people over. Is it hard to work on? Changing bulbs? Once it is running perfectly how long does it usually stay that way? Are parts readily available? Any info will be great. I figured someone on this forum owns one and can give me some better first hand experience then, "played it at a friend's house and didn't get it." If anyone has anything bad to say about it, I would like to hear that as well. The deal is already done so I could not change my mind at this point, and would want honest opinions both good and bad.

#2 11 years ago

I played a few of them. I will play a few games on one when I come across them. Fun for a few games but not something worth taking up space in a home collection, IMO.

#3 11 years ago

I think it has a custom driver board (does it get used on anything else?) and 40 pins of death. going to the one piece rottendog is not an option far as i know. so catastrophic/random failure could be rough.

#4 11 years ago

I've had one in my large collection for a while now. It's a hit when people come over to play. There isn't much to understand other than use the Z-Bomb, and blast away.

I have it set on the easier settings, which makes it much more fun.

They are sometimes hard to get running. I've gotten three of them running for myself and for friends. Mine, and the one at CP Pinball have run flawlessly since we got them going.

There is an MJ10000 transistor on the shooter PS. They are pricey, but you can sub an MJ10001. That transistor, IIRC, is driven by a dinky 2N4403. They can explode quite violently when the MJ10000 fails.

Auger alignment is critical to good operation.
The driver board is unique to Hyperball as is the PF display. Both pop up on ePay periodically.
Lamps under the PF are a bit of a booger to get to sometimes.

Fun game. I like mine...but I have a large collection.
It's definitely NOISY.

I grew up playing the EM gun games and thought I'd like one. I played a couple of those recently and changed my mind. Hyperball is much more fun.

Good Luck with yours!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#5 11 years ago

I've got one here for sale, I think its just missing the CPU board is all. Driver board looked pretty clean from what I remember. Cool game and I love how you can see the balls reloading into the game and down to the gun. Looking for $300 like it sits.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#6 11 years ago

I have one. Here's the downside in a nutshell: It is extremely loud, like taking a coffee can full of nuts and bolts and throwing it in a clothes dryer. The GI connector and pins have a tendency to burn up, but once you replace them it's all good. I used heavier pins and connectors than the factory, and replaced all the bulbs with LED's so I shouldn't have that problem again.
As for the ball feeder breaking, there were two different models of this game, the early models have the problem because they used an undersized auger motor and a few other problems, the later models corrected these errors. You can identify which one you have by the serial number. Other than that, the only problem I've found is the occasional opti sensor needs cleaned or resoldered. They used them in the top targets, really no big deal. And I've seen where the shooter tip gets mushroomed, but mine was ok. There are easy tricks to correcting that too.
The game itself is a blast! Once you really get the hang of it it even gets better. One of the problems I have is that people really really like it, and they want to play it 20 times in a row. But it's so damn loud it annoys anyone trying to play next to it, so I end up either telling people to lay off it for a while, or I leave it turned off until someone asks to play it. And even then I tell them, please just play a few games.
Like stated above, it's great in a large collection. But if you only have a few games I'm not sure how long the novelty will last.

1 month later
#7 11 years ago

I also recently bought a Hyperball and currently have it compleatly torn apart. This is the first attempt at a ground up resto I have performed. I have striped the playfield down to the wood (acrylic off). Everything is getting cleaned and rebuilt. Most of the parts I have found on the Internet. I sent all the boards to Keith at K's Arcade for repair (he has a Hyperball test machine). Keith has been a great source of help for me. I have performed a deep cleaning of the cabinet and I am now currently sand blasting all the mechanical parts and cleaning everything. I have the ball lift motor assemble finished and have moved on to the Hyper-cannon. I am also on the watch for a few plastics. Will post pictures! Make sure you look around the transformers for loose/missing balls. Thay could possibly short out on somthing. You should have 55 of them. There are some great tips on the Internet to quiet down this machine. I do plan on performing some of those mods. This is the 10th machine in my collection and I don't plan on selling it. Let me know if I can be of any help to you with pictures or advice. web7.jpgweb7.jpg web9.jpgweb9.jpg web5.jpgweb5.jpg web6.jpgweb6.jpg web4.jpgweb4.jpg web3.jpgweb3.jpg

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Looking for $300 like it sits.

When did the price go up within the last 30 days ?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-hyperball

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from pin-tastic:

Dayhuff said:
Looking for $300 like it sits.

They are getting more rare as we speak!

#10 11 years ago

More Pictures

web2.jpgweb2.jpg web.jpgweb.jpg web8.jpgweb8.jpg

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from pin-tastic:

When did the price go up within the last 30 days ?
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-hyperball

Yeah I think I got a little confused on the pricing on that game at times.....but I did knock it down to $200 for someone thats coming to get it next week.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#12 11 years ago

I have a cool HB topper for sale for 100 bucks.

HB_002.jpgHB_002.jpg

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

I also recently bought a Hyperball and currently have it compleatly torn apart. This is the first attempt at a ground up resto I have performed. I have striped the playfield down to the wood (acrylic off). Everything is getting cleaned and rebuilt. Most of the parts I have found on the Internet. I sent all the boards to Keith at K's Arcade for repair (he has a Hyperball test machine). Keith has been a great source of help for me. I have performed a deep cleaning of the cabinet and I am now currently sand blasting all the mechanical parts and cleaning everything. I have the ball lift motor assemble finished and have moved on to the Hyper-cannon. I am also on the watch for a few plastics. Will post pictures! Make sure you look around the Transformers for loose/missing balls. Thay could possibly short out on somthing. You should have 55 of them. There are some great tips on the Internet to quiet down this machine. I do plan on performing some of those mods. This is the 10th machine in my collection and I don't plan on selling it. Let me know if I can be of any help to you with pictures or advice.

Looking good! I'm really glad I sold it to you! I had a few guys wanting to scrap it. But it looks like its in a good home! Mine has been rock solid once you work out the kinks.

#14 11 years ago

I hope to have it all back together in a week or two. Still waiting on a few odds and ends. :Ill post the after pics shortly. Matt, if your thinking about it, could you scan your plastics for me? I still need to find one opto board also.

#15 11 years ago

I am looking for my scanner. (we just moved. It's here somewhere)

#16 11 years ago

I reproduced the chrome Z-BOMB decal several years ago. It came out great. Usually, most of the black silk-screened artwork on the plate has been scratched off.

If you would like to purchase one you can Paypal $8.50 plus $1.50 shipping as a gift to:

winslow_AT_earthlink_DOT_net

Be sure to include a note with your payment specifying what you are buying and the mailing address. They will go out the next day 1st class mail with Delivery Confirmation.

Thanks

Steve

PS - LOVE THIS GAME !

#17 11 years ago

Steve I stilll have your plunger

Quoted from 5280wzrd:I hope to have it all back together in a week or two. Still waiting on a few odds and ends. :Ill post the after pics shortly. Matt, if your thinking about it, could you scan your plastics for me? I still need to find one opto board also.

I have an opto board and a few plastics, how are your funnels?

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

do you have an "n-o-p" plastic??

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

do you have an "n-o-p" plastic??

No, I sold the last one a couple months ago.
Those get hammered and I made a shield for mine.
For the plastics on the sides I replaced the plastic nuts with rubber barrel nuts on the edges that break so they pop off instead of breaking the plastics.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/colorpost2/HBALL_007.jpg

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

As far as plastics go, Could use a "a b c" "h i j" "k l m" "n o p" and lower right triangle next to Hypercannon. For funnels, would like 4. I realy need one target opto board. What do you have? plastics.jpgplastics.jpg opto.jpgopto.jpg

#21 11 years ago

Only system 3 through 7 with a custom driver board. Just keep in mind that you cannot swap it out with another game to troubleshoot. Other than that, it is a good game.

Jim Knight
256 677 5300

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-and-what-to-expect-from-a-hyperball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.