• Latest reply 8 years ago by Craig
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141016_203456.jpg
20141016_203502.jpg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

I've not owned amh but have played over 30 games on it, on location, at pinb's, at expo, pinbash, York. I can say the layout is awesome and the guys that made the game make me personally want to own it for my home. I'm an operator of games, so from that side, I've seen it difficult on friends that have it on location. I can honestly say I've never played a 4 player game in which all players were able to finish the game or there was not a malfunction. I think once the crew that made this works out the bugs, the game will be considered in high regard but not in MM territory and I'm not a huge MM fan. Rather have the flow of AFM. layout on both is very similar.

Art = C
Layout = B
Callouts = C
Rules =B+
Animations = A
Overall I would say it's a B, shadow, junkyard, jd, dm, etc are great 90s tables. I would say it fits in the higher end of the B game category. Looking forward to their next game. I think I'm going to be on board for that.

C

#52 8 years ago

Amh is a fun pin that id like to have but being so limited I probably never will .you can get mm anytime so grab a amh if you can and if its not for you it will sell fast for what you have in it.seems like a no brainer to me

#53 8 years ago

Have not been able to have a game as yet...nothing in Australia until end '15. I have ordered one so hope to have it for Xmas.
I brought it because the game looks cool and Spooky pinball has done a great job from what I have read. Plan to keep it for a long time so not really worried what the market does re value. There are no more than 10 AMH coming to Oz. with so few I'm sure it will not lose to much, maybe even gain in Value!

Looking forward to Xmas this year as I could end up with two NIB. Thunderbirds is also due around the same time. Sweet

#54 8 years ago

wife and I were not fans the several times we played it at a few shows. At Allentown she wouldn't even wait in the short line with me to play it. Didn't even want to bother with it again when there were too many other pins to try. I think it's the back glass artwork and the "sheet over their heads" ghosts that to us looked cheesy.

But, it's great it was made, people are actually getting them and looking forward to seeing the next release.

#55 8 years ago

I finally got to play the finished AMH a couple months ago and loved it. I can only think of one other pin that truly made me laugh out loud. I really like it. Funny, fast gameplay, HARD.

Egghead: I think *you're* the one who needs to take an economics course. When I took mine they very clearly had TWO factors that affected price... supply in one but demand is the other. Just because something is rare that doesn't make it valuable. If there's little demand, then there's no value... no matter how rare.

Now, will AMH go up in price? Who knows. At least we know this is one boutique manufacturer following through...

Jaz

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Now, will AMH go up in price? Who knows.

more importantly. Who TF cares!

AMH is obviously liked by enough people to sell out 150 and that is the great thing. We now legitimatly have 3 companies making pinball machines and innovating along the way with new and interesting things.

I personally am rooting for spooky and what AMH represents alone is the important thing. I think AMH being out there is fantastic for all of pinball and I really am guessing we will see spooky morph into the botique pinball manufacturer as much as anything. Making games is obviously something they excell at so if someone designs a good game then I bet spooky could be the perfect company to help them actually make them.

On the whole, people enjoy playing AMH and find it to be fun and funny.
Many of us are collectors so the limited nature surely helped it along as having something unique in a collection is fun also.

We should all be cheering on the 1 small start up to actually do this the right way and bring games into the real world rather than being so concerned about if the FMV goes up or down...

#57 8 years ago

It's very easy to attach a high price tag with an item that is rare, and I don't blame eggplant for sticking to his guns because he is probably use to dealing with rare items that hold a high value. I had to learn the hard way that the same items I was selling for thousands of dollars in the past couldn't even get $20 today due to lack of demand. Thanks for btw75 and the rest for explaining everything in more economic terms. Although it seems trivial, it's always good to bring in the supply & demand charts which you tend to forget about .

Back to the topic at hand, anyone in Canada have an AMH? I'm dying to try one and couldn't make it to allentown this year

#58 8 years ago

I've just got done playing AMH and MMR for the last hour. While MMR is better overall, I'm not sure which one I personally enjoy more. AMH is brutal and you need practice on a well set-up example to make progress and form a real opinion.

The biggest negative may be that it is too hard to have broad appeal. I love difficult games but the ghost targets and VUK are unavoidable and create havoc, so either you need to have expert skills or a lot of luck to get deep into the rules and put up a big score. So far, the difficulty just makes me want to play another game.

#59 8 years ago

Rare doesn't even mean desirable or in demand. You could have atooth pick that is 0.5mm longer than the usual ones, it's rare but no one cares or wants it....

Not saying AMH isn't wanted though, I haven't played it (and doubt I'll get a chance to in Australia) but it looks great.

#60 8 years ago

I agree, AMH is too hard.

Main issue is we had to use the largest coils available to make the jump shot work, and that increased risk everywhere else. I should have simplified that into a normal ramp early on. It also is a tough thing to dial in during assembly.

I did get an email, someone HAS managed to start Demon Battle, so it can be done.

We appreciate everyone who has bought the game / word of mouth. Unlike Space Shuttle, AMH is far from a perfect pin, but our buyers make it possible for Spooky to dial things in even better for the next game.

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Main issue is we had to use the largest coils available to make the jump shot work, and that increased risk everywhere else. I should have simplified that into a normal ramp early on. It also is a tough thing to dial in during assembly.
I did get an email, someone HAS managed to start Demon Battle, so it can be done.
We appreciate everyone who has bought the game / word of mouth. Unlike Space Shuttle, AMH is far from a perfect pin, but our buyers make it possible for Spooky to dial things in even better for the next game.

Got one coming and, as a customer i can say, this sort of honesty and transparency makes me want to do business with you guys in the future

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from Damon:

Got one coming and, as a customer i can say, this sort of honesty and transparency makes me want to do business with you guys in the future

^^^this^^^

#63 8 years ago

I only played a few games on it but I liked the humor. I would say that it is on par with other B level games like DM, JD, and JM. I thought it was a solid fun machine. Of the new games, I liked it better than Wrestlemania, The Hobbit, or the Predator (yeah, I know). I didn't get that deep into the Hobbit and maybe that has more depth.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Not saying AMH isn't wanted though, I haven't played it (and doubt I'll get a chance to in Australia) but it looks great.

Seven (?) are getting shipped down under at some point. Fair chance one of those winds up in Vic, I reckon.

#65 8 years ago

What's weird is, I read a post just enough irrational elsewhere to make me want to check out his other work. Suspicion confirmed; had to make sure I wasn't on Fark for a second there. The only gun more dangerous than an unloaded one is one that's half-cocked.

I've played AMH a couple dozen times now and still find it to be a delightfully interesting and entertaining machine that I want to play more. I'd barely heard of it the first time but within the first ball or two knew damn well I wasn't playing a B/W/Stern product. It had personality. The coils were way too hot and it was fast as bunnies testing cotton balls but damn if I didn't keep coming back. The originality alone had me.

That said, I'm getting annoyed with the investment mindset some are approaching this hobby with. I don't give a flying wink if a pin is going to appreciate or depreciate in value, that is not why I'm here - and those who are need to find another something to horde. Drive it like you stole it, play it like your life depends upon the next shot. If you want a legacy, write a book just like Jesus did. If you want $400 stickers for your new pin, you obviously are not an ROI pimp and I can respect that decision even if it's not one I'd make.

FWIW - i suspect the OP may have poorly articulated his argument and is frustrated by the lack of connectivity, a trait which he frequently expresses. wtf do i know, i was homeschooled.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Well, the challenge is on then ... Reach Demon Battle.

Honestly guys, you are much better to have a game that challenges you long term.

If you buy an easy game, the novelty of beating it soon wears off.

Although I have seen that some guys here on Pinside don't want the challenge of a tough game, maybe their egos don't like getting beaten. I'm just used to it lol

rd.

#67 8 years ago

I love mine, it has quickly become a hit in my house, it is very tough and unforgiving. This is a unique machine with a different, but fun theme. It has that "Just one more game" effect on a lot of people, even the none pinheads.

#68 8 years ago

hi all-I wanted this game from the moment I saw it.each person have different tastes and buys for their own reasons..i only get one vote out of 3 as my two sons each get a vote..game play and manufacturing company is base for any game we look at...my oldest son truly very good player,younger son so so..me..well bad..we play at their manufacturing building new years eve or the day before..i can say as ex-production manager I saw ALL the right things for a small place doing the right things.no need to take time to explain if you want to know pm me......my oldest son play before.his thinking was this game not easy and could keep us entertained as we learned game play.he wanted this game based on this as well as other factors...my younger son [age 28] thought the looks of this game would not get old in our arcade and also so this game would be fun for us and also our friends new to pinball....they play games each alone also together..im the banker on this but still only get one vote.it seemed to fit everything we wanted in our home arcade.everything going great.......then my turn to play...they watch me play 2 games or what should have been 2 games...we then play 3 more together..my sons step out for private meeting.this not good for me. they tell me sorry...this game much to fast for me on lower playfield and that I would never reach demon battle as during one game im still standing in front of machine ball long since drain.told me long term for them this would be perfect and if game for them order right now..but they could not let me order based on what they wanted and voted me down ..first time they ever did. I have problem with my eyes..well mostly blind but based on everything that happen I would not hesitate to recommend for long term home arcade.as far as future value we buy and play pins for entertainment.as for what people may think about about rarity and re-sale? tastes,the future and the market will determine later.i collect many things.buy whatYOU want and you never need to worry as if valuable to you how can you loss?

1 week later
#69 8 years ago

Rebooting this thread trying to look for the club I started...

Quoted from benheck:

Unlike Space Shuttle, AMH is far from a perfect pin, but our buyers make it possible for Spooky to dial this in even better for the next game.

I don't know if you're serious or not, but I'm a HUGE Space Shuttle fan, and I can easily say that AMH is a much better overall game. Space Shuttle objectively is a cool game to play because of a bunch of different features of it, but it does not hold up that well. Starting multiball is too easy and unless you set up the game brutally hard, I can play it for just about forever by locking balls and just continually playing multiball. I have played 30+ minute games on SS, and it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of depth needed to support that.

On the flip side, AMH is super deep, but the "overpowered coils" that speed the ball along so crazily make is so that you can't realistically keep it in play much. Luckily, the modes that you can start you can pick what you're going for, and this gives you a strategy toward what you are doing each ball to maximize your points - I play the game regularly trying to start different modes to try to determine what would be the best ones to maximize points. I have found about five different strategies that all seem to work about as well as one another for me, but they are all wildly different.

As for holding up, my life has been stupid busy lately. This is probably my first day posting in 6 weeks, and truthfully I'm avoiding doing some work I'm supposed to be doing when I'm posting, so... I should do that. I manage to find probably 15 or so minutes per day to stop by and play AMH. Basically nothing else has been touched since I got it. It's keeping me sane lately. My machine was used at the MGC, I believe was on the show floor at the TPF before that (although I'm not positive of that one), and it has had all the play here. So far, other than a couple of minor code issues that I've found and notified Charlie of, the game has held up pretty well. It broke the plunger that kicks the ball into position at the end of ball in the trough (Charlie sent me a new one and told me it has since been redesigned), and I'm starting to get near the point where I feel it might need a flipper rebuild, as the left flipper seems to raise slightly more than the right, although it may just be an adjustment. Nothing else has gone wrong.

I would buy AMH exactly how it stands right now above nearly everything else that I own. It's a top five game for me, which in no particular order for me are JP, VND, Metallica (PRO!) and IM other than it.

#70 8 years ago

My friend who bought mine is looking to sell if anyone is interested please pm me

#71 8 years ago

I didn't keep mine long. I think the person I sold AMH in MD has sold it also. Mine was number 001 and was at Expo in the free room advertised for 5500. Sold for 5k to Mike in MD. I have kept other pins like AFM from 1996 to last month when I sold it at Winston-Salem as I am ready for a new remake.

I probably would have kept the pin if it was later in the production as mine had lots of flow killing ball stick ups. I had the glass off alot. Love the theme and even the call out humor. I am eager for number 2. I want all pinball manufacturers to be successful as it helps our hobby and the coin op business. I have other rare games like Mystery Castle, Pistol Poker, and the ones from the dark days of Stern like CSI which I think is fantastic, Big Buck Hunter and even NBA. Sold 24 it's just whatever is your personal preference.

20141016_203502.jpg20141016_203502.jpg 20141016_203456.jpg20141016_203456.jpg
2 weeks later
#72 8 years ago

The very very early AMH's keep getting turned over. There have been changes made to some of the switches, mechs and the power supply since these machines. Some of the complaints I've heard about these, I've checked on my machine and my parts are completely different.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

The very very early AMH's keep getting turned over.

That sort of answers the original question.

#74 8 years ago

A great game hands down!!! Takes a lot of practice to get it mastered. Fun to play with the settings. I recommend this game if you can find one. As you know. They are sold out! I have a HEP MM and this is a better game overall for sure. MM is #1 for a reason. Come on. Anyway I love my AMH. Always a challenge.

#75 8 years ago

Like it or not, I am delighted that it's being made.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-americas-most-haunted/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.