Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 127 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by branlon8
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AF39E355-1E76-4B54-B30F-7397183D9E5E (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    29113CCC-0276-41EE-8E26-AD584BF3A0CC (resized).jpeg
    pinside (resized).jpg
    7F93A73D-EBE0-4DE2-9A80-D59111183B5A (resized).jpeg
    FORKED_UP (resized).png
    There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 2 years ago

Whatever it is Ill take one!

3 weeks later
    #102 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

How can't u know whats disturbing? its not just a theme to one game its pattern of bad kiddie themes, super heros and old rock bands that has gotten boring, oh and disturbing, also thanks for letting me know I don't have to buy it. I was under the impression it was the law and I had to purchase the next JJP game. Haven't met anyone yet that thinks pinball is anything other than fun, many won't buy them but so far everyone likes to play them. The "attract younger crowd" thing that constantly comes up with pinsiders is in a word, crap. I've said it before this hobby dies with us middle aged guys living the dream. Obviously u care or u wouldn't have responded at all.

Oh I meant the 1984 version. Dune 2021 isn't even out yet, I don't think and even if it was I'd like the OG.

You want a pin, based on a movie, that was a total flop? Are you in marketing lol.

#103 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

You want a pin, based on a movie, that was a total flop? Are you in marketing lol.

Shadow, Congo, BarbWire, Last Action Hero, BS Dracula, Johnny Mnemonic - All terrible movies

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Shadow, Congo, BarbWire, Last Action Hero, BS Dracula, Johnny Mnemonic - All terrible movies

Dune was super expensive to make, but good point.

#105 2 years ago

Only 1,500 being made… Is this a sign??

AF39E355-1E76-4B54-B30F-7397183D9E5E (resized).jpegAF39E355-1E76-4B54-B30F-7397183D9E5E (resized).jpeg
    #106 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Quoted from woody76:

Quoted from Roostking:

Dune was super expensive to make, but good point.

I would 100% buy a Dune themed pinball. Sign me up.

#107 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I would 100% buy a Dune themed pinball. Sign me up.

I should probably watch it LOL that was an early teen when it came out and with Sting in it it was a for sure not going to watch lol.

#108 2 years ago

I have Wonka, Hobbit, and POTC. I also have JPP (read that carefully!) and LOTR. I just sold Star Wars Premium. I have AIQ on the way. So - I like Stern and JJP both. They're all great machines and they play very differently.

But Jersey Jack's attention to all artwork, and *especially* the digital artwork and display is far, far beyond anything of Stern's. e.g. Jurassic Park is an amazing game and I intend to *never* sell it, because the gameplay/shots are fantastic and the ruleset is as well. It's just fun and challenging!! But relatively speaking, and completely objectively - the animation scenes on this game are sophomoric. They're embarrassing. IMO the cabinet art is lackluster (I concede that this is entirely subjective). It all looks... well... really...cheap. Margins are important but regarding art, "good enough" seems to be the general rule at Stern. Go watch The Hobbit in demo mode and play the game. Now these people understand digital art! They aren't saving nickels paying interns to design the animation. Or if they are, they're getting them from top-notch animation/art schools. There's a huge gulf between these 2 companies in this regard. I really wish Stern would up their game here.

But build quality? Service? Warranty? I can't speak to JJP quality issues because I haven't had any issues. They must exist, because lots of people complain about them, I just haven't had any (yet?). I feel for those that have had such poor experiences that it's driven them away. JJP needs to get with it because on their current production schedule, with poor customer feedback - one bad theme could do them in.

Jersey Jack is an upstart innovator, Stern is the established 800 lb gorilla. Stern is a much larger company, with hammered out processes, steady funding and long-standing supplier relationships. One day a comparison of these firms could make an excellent case study. I own my own business and in the past have taken multiple firms through A,B,C rounds of funding, worked for PE firms, etc. When I read about JJP's issues regarding support and production schedules, etc. - if they are true, it sounds to me like JJP is not scaling well - if at all. I don't know anything about their business operations, but with those issues I might guess that they're trying to make everything work without too much outside funding or investment. You usually can't scale without it - at least not quickly. Counter intuitively enough, you can actually "grow to death" if you try to scale too quickly with only organic growth. But maybe they don't want to scale. Sometimes slow growth is wise, but sometimes it is not. I wonder if it's the "Rich/King Dilemma" at work? If it is, that's too bad. I've worked at places where that was in play and those companies could have been so much more if not for this issue. JJP has creative gifts and an amazing vision that has already changed this market for the better forever. Securing outside funding, access to better supply chains, and perhaps more professional management could make a big difference on its legacy - and even survival.

Now onto the rumor - Toy Story as the next JJP pin? ARRGGHH I hope this theme is not the next JJP theme! GNR - I love the band, but band themed pins don't do it for me. It's extremely unlikely that I would buy a Toy Story pinball machine. After this huge post-GNR wait, I would be extremely let down if I had to wait another 2 year cycle for a new JJP pin. So JJP - get some outside funding, expand your operations (including support). Just enough to make TWO high-quality, up market pins per year. Stay up-market. People will pay for outstanding products. I'd rather have 3 awesome pins than 6 pretty dang good ones. Who do you want to be?

And while I'm ranting here (forgive me, I'm in the mood this morning) - when are these completely unnecessary coin doors going to disappear? Put art or something creative that effects gameplay there instead. How many machines are being routed nowadays? Let coin-op vendors add the door. You might cry "tradition" or "nostalgia", but how about we admit that that era is gone and it's never coming back and we move on to bigger and better things?

Again - forgive the rant. JJP, Stern, Company X - do what you love. It's your money!

Flip on,
    Def

#109 2 years ago

I am curious to see what Steve Ritchie gets assigned and hope it sees the light of day in the future.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from Defil8de:

And while I'm ranting here (forgive me, I'm in the mood this morning) - when are these completely unnecessary coin doors going to disappear? Put art or something creative that effects gameplay there instead.
    Flip on,
    Def

How about a Jackass pin where instead of a coin door it punches you in the nuts when you make a bad shot. Or a claw that crushes your junk during gooch multiball.

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from Defil8de:

I have Wonka, Hobbit, and POTC. I also have JPP (read that carefully!) and LOTR. I just sold Star Wars Premium. I have AIQ on the way. So - I like Stern and JJP both. They're all great machines and they play very differently.
    But Jersey Jack's attention to all artwork, and *especially* the digital artwork and display is far, far beyond anything of Stern's. e.g. Jurassic Park is an amazing game and I intend to *never* sell it, because the gameplay/shots are fantastic and the ruleset is as well. It's just fun and challenging!! But relatively speaking, and completely objectively - the animation scenes on this game are sophomoric. They're embarrassing. IMO the cabinet art is lackluster (I concede that this is entirely subjective). It all looks... well... really...cheap. Margins are important but regarding art, "good enough" seems to be the general rule at Stern. Go watch The Hobbit in demo mode and play the game. Now these people understand digital art! They aren't saving nickels paying interns to design the animation. Or if they are, they're getting them from top-notch animation/art schools. There's a huge gulf between these 2 companies in this regard. I really wish Stern would up their game here.
    But build quality? Service? Warranty? I can't speak to JJP quality issues because I haven't had any issues. They must exist, because lots of people complain about them, I just haven't had any (yet?). I feel for those that have had such poor experiences that it's driven them away. JJP needs to get with it because on their current production schedule, with poor customer feedback - one bad theme could do them in.
    Jersey Jack is an upstart innovator, Stern is the established 800 lb gorilla. Stern is a much larger company, with hammered out processes, steady funding and long-standing supplier relationships. One day a comparison of these firms could make an excellent case study. I own my own business and in the past have taken multiple firms through A,B,C rounds of funding, worked for PE firms, etc. When I read about JJP's issues regarding support and production schedules, etc. - if they are true, it sounds to me like JJP is not scaling well - if at all. I don't know anything about their business operations, but with those issues I might guess that they're trying to make everything work without too much outside funding or investment. You usually can't scale without it - at least not quickly. Counter intuitively enough, you can actually "grow to death" if you try to scale too quickly with only organic growth. But maybe they don't want to scale. Sometimes slow growth is wise, but sometimes it is not. I wonder if it's the "Rich/King Dilemma" at work? If it is, that's too bad. I've worked at places where that was in play and those companies could have been so much more if not for this issue. JJP has creative gifts and an amazing vision that has already changed this market for the better forever. Securing outside funding, access to better supply chains, and perhaps more professional management could make a big difference on its legacy - and even survival.
    Now onto the rumor - Toy Story as the next JJP pin? ARRGGHH I hope this theme is not the next JJP theme! GNR - I love the band, but band themed pins don't do it for me. It's extremely unlikely that I would buy a Toy Story pinball machine. After this huge post-GNR wait, I would be extremely let down if I had to wait another 2 year cycle for a new JJP pin. So JJP - get some outside funding, expand your operations (including support). Just enough to make TWO high-quality, up market pins per year. Stay up-market. People will pay for outstanding products. I'd rather have 3 awesome pins than 6 pretty dang good ones. Who do you want to be?
    And while I'm ranting here (forgive me, I'm in the mood this morning) - when are these completely unnecessary coin doors going to disappear? Put art or something creative that effects gameplay there instead. How many machines are being routed nowadays? Let coin-op vendors add the door. You might cry "tradition" or "nostalgia", but how about we admit that that era is gone and it's never coming back and we move on to bigger and better things?
    Again - forgive the rant. JJP, Stern, Company X - do what you love. It's your money!
    Flip on,
    Def

Funny, would think a Wonka fan would also welcome Toy Story. If Toy Story shoots like Dialed In, I think it will be a mega hit. For me, it's a dream theme for the family. I also have GNR and Lebowski so we don't discriminate against adult themes.

2 weeks later
    #112 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheClownpuncher:

How about a Jackass pin where instead of a coin door it punches you in the nuts when you make a bad shot. Or a claw that crushes your junk during gooch multiball.

LOL that was funny...

How about a Kingpin Movie themed one where a cheese grater comes out when you make a bad shot with a Woody Harrelson callout? A Les Mis / guillotine?

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from Noma2017:

Funny, would think a Wonka fan would also welcome Toy Story. If Toy Story shoots like Dialed In, I think it will be a mega hit. For me, it's a dream theme for the family. I also have GNR and Lebowski so we don't discriminate against adult themes.

I see what you're thinking there but they're generations apart. Wonka was part of my childhood - Toy Story definitely was not. I am sorry to say I haven't played DialedIn yet, but I'd like to. I think the big thing is that I played it and didn't care for GnR. This will def be counter to many or most opinions, but I don't really think bands translate to pinball so well. What's the adventure? Make it through the tour alive and back to rehab? lol So since GnR represents a JJP gap for me, I really want a big boy theme from JJP more than a more kid themed pin. But - I've been thinking more about the possibility of Toy Story since I played Wizard of Oz, which I absolutely loved. I was leaning towards indifferent re: Oz theme but after playing it I want one - it's a lot of fun. It's got magic. I will pre-order a Toy Story if that's the next theme, it's just not my first choice. A LOTR remake would be my first choice. Any Marvel title would also be great. JJP brings so much heart to their designs. I have the Stern AIQ Prem on order and I've played it locally and it's got good / a lot of shots, etc etc but comparatively it's so...clinical. So...sterile. And Stern cheaps out whenever they can (made in China dollar store Thanos glove, anyone?) Wonka and Hobbit (and I don't own it but plan to - WoZ) elicit feeling, and they feel like a premium experience. At least to me.

So anyway, nothing against Toy Story in particular - I'm sure JJP can make that come to life in a way no one else could. And if that's the JJP pin, I will buy it.

OH - a Daniel Craig 007 would be great from JJP. Their digital storytelling is by far the best in the business.

#114 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I'll agree with you on 5 of the 6, but BSD is a great movie and pin and both were successful, but the other 5 movies failed badly, but I have 2 of the pins, and I'd take the others except LAH if I could find them!

#115 2 years ago

Has there been a reveal at TPF???

#116 2 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Has there been a reveal at TPF???

No and there won't be at this show.I think it will be at the MGC in April

3 weeks later
    #117 2 years ago

What if it turns out to be Fortnite, Halo or say Far Cry.

1 week later
    #118 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I am curious to see what Steve Ritchie gets assigned and hope it sees the light of day in the future.

It is Elton John.

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

It is Elton John.

That could be incredible.

#120 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

It is Elton John.

goodbye yellow brick road edition

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from Linkboy74:

this with a monkey!

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from Linkboy74:

And the goal of the game is to get to the final mode "Pinball Wizard" with the Elton John Who 'Tommy' scene playing on the LCD screen.

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

And the goal of the game is to get to the final mode "Pinball Wizard" with the Elton John Who 'Tommy' scene playing on the LCD screen.

So in fact another Tommy Pinball Wizard

#124 1 year ago
    Quoted from Linkboy74:

I laughed too hard at this.

#125 1 year ago

Elton John, featuring the hit song, "I guess that's why they call it the pools."

#126 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Elton John, featuring the hit song, "I guess that's why they call it the pools."

Ahhh…I see what you did there!

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Elton John, featuring the hit song, "I guess that's why they call it the pools.

You need to really listen to the words - the pinball wizard is singing “Oh man, another node board bid its adieus, I guess that’s why they call it the blues”

There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-2022-jjp-reveal/page/3?hl=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.