20231116_213838 (resized).jpg
20231116_203253 (resized).jpg
20231116_210301 (resized).jpg
20231116_203240 (resized).jpg
20231108_163259 (resized).jpg
20231108_163305 (resized).jpg
20231108_163308 (resized).jpg
20231108_163326 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skyking2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#660 5 years ago

Hey X-Files fans, just joined the club myself a few months ago. I love the show -- on my favorites as a teenager -- and fell in love with the pin at Free Play Florida in November. I was considering bringing a new game home, and the theme & gameplay of the pinball really grabbed me ... so now I own it! It had dim & ghosting LEDs when I got it, which I've since swapped out with nice non-ghosting ones, so now it's beautiful and I can finally understand what's going on, lol.

I agree with some of the comments I've seen that many of the shots are tough because they're narrow -- but I find that makes a shot all the more satisfying when you hit it. Plus, there's a lot to do on this game, between the two different multiballs and all the different 'X-file' modes. With seven different lanes to shoot for -- some of which can have multiple exit points (e.g., orbit -> orbit or pops; ramps -> normal exit or sneakouts; left ramp -> left or right inlanes), I feel there's a lot to do and it's always fresh and challenging.

If anyone ever runs into a problem where the ball gets stuck in the filing cabinet, it may be because the edge of the cabinet broke off down below the playfield.
I ran into this issue when I first got the machine, but I was able to resolve it. More info on the issue & my fix are here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-files-ball-getting-stuck-in-filing-cabinet

Finally, just thought I'd share a toy I added -- I found a nice hi-fidelity Todd McFarlane-designed X-Files action figure (reference https://mcfarlane.com/toys/docile-alien/ ) and picked one up on ebay for under $10. He/she/it fits perfectly in the spiral of the right ramp, so it balances out the toy arrangement (fetus on the left, cabinet in the middle, alien on the right), and makes for a cool effect when the ball spirals around it when you hit that ramp. The lighting on it is also nice (not shown well in these pics since I used the flash on some) as it's generally lit from below but also occasionally by the flasher in the top right corner.

good balance with a toy on the right side toogood balance with a toy on the right side too

a more detailed looka more detailed look

without flash to try to show normal lightingwithout flash to try to show normal lighting

#662 5 years ago
Quoted from balt:

That looks awesome skyking2301! I nabbed an alien from ebay just now and the seller combined the shipping with in a Mulder and Scully as well. Have you tried to improve the sound on your machine? I know it's possible to upgrade to stereo speakers and add an external sub.

Thanks, I figured there'd be some other owners out there who might want the same! I considered getting a Mulder & Scully too but I wasn't sure where I'd put them plus didn't have the funds to drop on them at the time anyway. Thanks for the tip on the sound -- I haven't looked into anything like that yet. I have a separate project machine I'm working on right now so that'll be getting most of my pinball funds at the moment!

1 month later
#671 5 years ago

Is there a definitive 'list' of all the differences between playing as Mulder or Scully? I know the primary difference is Scully works more easily toward Truth multiball and Mulder toward Cabinet multiball, but I wonder if there are any other subtle ones too.

For example, this rules post (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/proud-new-owner-of-an-x-files/page/3#post-2230183) explains that the Talitha Cumi mode flashes the location of the hidden stiletto during the intro. Since reading it, I've seen this in action, and it made this mode easy. Until today, when I was playing as Scully -- Talitha Cumi was chosen, I looked down at the playfield and ALL FOUR shots were still flashing. So, if you're Mulder do you get this helpful hint, but not if you're Scully?

And so this made me wonder -- what other little differences are there?

#672 5 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

when I was playing as Scully -- Talitha Cumi was chosen, I looked down at the playfield and ALL FOUR shots were still flashing. So, if you're Mulder do you get this helpful hint, but not if you're Scully?

You know, now I'm not even so sure about this ... my son was playing and he SAID he'd chosen Scully, but when he started Talitha Cumi, it was showing the one specific location this time. He's five, though, so perhaps not the most reliable witness... Will have to continue watching for this.

2 months later
#710 4 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

trap door LED strip, VUK LED strip

Ooh, tell me more about these please!

#713 4 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

My X-Files has a problem with the trap door we cant figure out. It wants to open, but doesnt. In test, it sorta half flaps trying to open, but doesnt work. In game, it basically doesnt move. Coil was replaced, no change. Any ideas?

Perhaps have a look at whatever makes it pop closed when it's up and it gets hit by the ball? I don't know if it's a switch or what ... but when the trapdoor is up, and the ball touches it from above, it's supposed to drop just long enough to keep the ball moving. I haven't looked at it so I don't know if it's a switch or whatever -- but perhaps on yours this switch is maladjusted and always telling the door top pop closed.

Just an idea.

5 months later
#746 4 years ago

I was never really a fan of the other instruction cards out there, so I made my own. I tried to explain the rules more clearly for beginners. You can have the cards if you want -- download the full res version and the original PSD files (if you want to modify them) at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pnMaN7X_W3A441Xan2BwmS0HaPNPKJNQ ... note, they're sized to be printed at a shop on 4x6 prints, then you trim off the green border.
X-Files_Card1 (resized).jpgX-Files_Card1 (resized).jpgX-Files_Card2 (resized).jpgX-Files_Card2 (resized).jpg
20191108_003730 (resized).jpg20191108_003730 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#754 4 years ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

Looks great love custom cards

Thanks, glad you liked em. A great improvement over the illegible and nonsensical other ones out there.

1 month later
#760 4 years ago

I've been curious which callouts came from which episodes ... has anyone documented this?

I recently watched 'The Host' (Season 2 Episode 2) and a handful are from that episode:

- "You're way out of line, Agent Mulder!"
- "Success in our work is imperative, Scully."
- "We have a friend in the FBI."
- and of course (since it kicks off that mode), "It's called a 'fluke'. It came from the body they pulled out of the sewer."

3 weeks later
#768 4 years ago

Season 2 Episode 3, 'Blood' -- Mulder: "I think this area is being subjected to a controlled experiment."

1 month later
#777 3 years ago

"Your resignation is unacceptable. " --
Season 2 Episode 8

1 week later
#781 3 years ago

"Your investigation is faltering."
-Season 2 Episode 15

#782 3 years ago

"Your investigation, official or otherwise, is terminated!"
-- Season 2, Episode 16, 'Colony'

#783 3 years ago

"Whatever happened to 'trust no one', Mulder?"
"I changed it to 'trust everyone'. I didnt tell you?"
- Season 2, Episode 16, 'Colony'

#784 3 years ago

"No one got in ... but someone got out."
Season 2 Episode 20, 'Humbug'

#785 3 years ago

"Who do you answer to?!"
and
"I dont know how to explain it."
Season 2 Episode 23

(as you can see, I've been working my way through Season 2 lately, lol)

#786 3 years ago

"Sure...fine...whatever."
S3 E13, 'Syzygy' (obviously)

1 week later
#787 3 years ago

"Probably not a good idea to hide in there."
and
"This sounds like something we might've expected from Agent Mulder."
- Season 4 Episode 1, 'Herrenvolk'

4 weeks later
#793 3 years ago

""I dont utter another syllable until a CSM 25 countermeasure filter is activated."
-S4 E7, Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man

1 month later
#798 3 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Yes. Right after it shoot the cabinet. It gets stuck under there between the subway and cabinet. Any fixes for that?

I had this problem shortly after I got mine too -- here's how I fixed it: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-files-ball-getting-stuck-in-filing-cabinet

#801 3 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Thanks for the info! I ended up just putting a few washers where the subway connects to the playfield so it’s further away from the play field. It works perfectly. Ball clears it every time. Easy fix.
Also wondering your guys opinion on getting some non ghosting LED’s or should I just get led ocd? It already has LED’s in it and it looks really nice but they ghost like crazy. Figure I would spend around $75 or so on leds for the inserts or I can get that ocd board for $135.

Non-ghosting LEDs will do the trick. Mine came with LEDs that ghosted so badly I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to be doing. Bought some non-ghosting ones from comet, worked perfectly, suddenly everything made sense!

1 week later
#805 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Looking specifically for the lower part with Queequeg in tact.

Poor Queequeg...

2 months later
#816 3 years ago

Added my green posts to my X-Files and they look siiiiick

Screenshot_20201024-183337_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201024-183337_Chrome (resized).jpg

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/04369-bright-green-posts-for-accent-colors-on-playfields

#823 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Whaa? I'll test this out tonight but I've never seen those.

Do keep us informed! How! When! Whaaaaat?

1 week later
#835 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Yes! Feel free to send any suggestions my way.

So thrilled you're doing this, Chad, especially as a recent owner of JP DE with your awesome code there. I'll brainstorm and see if I can come up with anything.

In addition to the improvement of the sound clips, one thing I hope you DON'T change is how mode timers pause when the ball is up in the pop bumpers -- that's a great feature.

3 months later
#861 3 years ago

I love this game but I was beginning to consider selling it to get another wishlist game ... but with new Chad code coming, I'm holding onto it!

#862 3 years ago

Hey fellow X-Files owners ... I've been having a ton of fun making these new products, and since I own this game, naturally I had to make this one too...

There are plain old original stock coin reject buttons ... then there are aftermarket coin reject buttons with flat 2-D patterns -- I'm taking it to the next dimension with these new 3-D Coin Reject Buttons!

X-Files_1_RCP (resized).jpgX-Files_1_RCP (resized).jpg

These eye-catching buttons literally pop out at you! They're 3D-printed with multiple filaments, including a translucent base color of your choice and a creepy gray alien protruding from the button face! The eyes are colored with black ink to give it a more lifelike appearance. Honestly, I'm thrilled with how this one turned out! Spooky Mulder would be proud.

I immediately thought to print these in green, to match up with the green in the game ... but I really think yellow will look great too, since there's a lot of yellow on the front face of the cabinet. I'll post some pictures of the yellow version after I print some.

X-Files_2_RCP (resized).jpgX-Files_2_RCP (resized).jpg

Available on my website (https://rocketcitypinball.com) or in my shop here on Pinside (https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/04870-3d-coin-reject-buttons-x-files). (My daughter gets a commission too; these 3D buttons were her idea!)

Installation instructions video coming soon, but this button type is ridiculously easy ... two screws and the bezel comes loose so you can swap out the button.
Simple as that! Note: please check your game before ordering -- this button replaces button type 891-1113-01; reimports, modded/swapped coin doors, etc. may have different button types. Compare to my pictures to be sure this is the correct one for yours.

3 months later
#868 2 years ago
Quoted from Mutilatedlips:

I really loved playing this at my local pinball. 2 ball, 3 ball and 4 ball modes. The 2 ball is from one of the timed games, the other 2 multiball modes are fairly easy to get. A lot going on with the playfield, great music and overall creepy x-files theme. I am not a diehard xfiles fan, but I did enjoy the show when it was on.
I ended up recently buying, kids love it, lots of fun and a lot of potential if you like modding. I picked up some of the McFarlane toys for the playfield, LEDs were added, translucent and glow in the dark rubber rings...etc.
I also had trouble with the VUK and "fixed" with some clear cut plexiglass creating a tube for the ball to flow through in that portion of the ramp. I had a pinball repair person look at fixing, but he could not figure it out. Next time I will mention the guide rail or see if I can solder myself, but for now it is working fantastic.

Welcome to the club! I love this game and all those mini-modes. The 2-ball mode (Syzygy) isn't timed (that I know of), it runs as long as both the balls are still on the table. Either that or I've never lasted long enough to time out, lol

5 months later
#916 2 years ago
Quoted from MG7322:

Have some dial-in to do but almost a wrap! Full playfield swap back into restored cabinet. Target to bring to Pintastic NE in a few weeks.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

giphy-downsized (resized).pnggiphy-downsized (resized).png
4 weeks later
#936 2 years ago

Hey X Files friends ... per a recent request I adapted my alien head 3D Coin Reject Buttons over to a Launch Button. But, even better, I finally decided to take the leap and work out the conversion of the boring non-lighted Start Button to my lit 3D Start Button!

LaunchButton (resized).jpgLaunchButton (resized).jpg

ReplaceThis (resized).jpgReplaceThis (resized).jpg

XF_starts_RCP (resized).jpgXF_starts_RCP (resized).jpg

The start button conversion is very easy and takes less than 10 minutes -- and requires NO SOLDERING. I include everything you need in a kit:

LightedKitRCP (resized).jpgLightedKitRCP (resized).jpg

In a nutshell, you're tapping into power at the coin reject buttons, and moving the start button's microswitch over to the new housing assembly. It's a simple as that! Here's a video to show the whole process:

Some pics of the different colors installed -- none of which really do them justice, since we all know LEDs don't photograph well or true to color.

GreenXF_RCP (resized).jpgGreenXF_RCP (resized).jpg

YellowXF_RCP (resized).jpgYellowXF_RCP (resized).jpg

PurpleXF_RCP (resized).jpgPurpleXF_RCP (resized).jpg

While I'm thrilled to have finally done this mod for my machine, I'm also sad because in all likelihood I'll have to say goodbye to this game soon -- I'm in line for a Rush Premium and I'll need to trade this game in to afford it. I do love this game and theme, but aside from the others I'm trading in, the rest are bolted to the floor so X Files was the next-lowest on the totem pole.

All items available in my shop:
Start: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/05585-3d-start-button-lighted-kit-the-x-files
Coins: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/04870-3d-coin-reject-buttons-x-files
Launch: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/05566-3d-launch-button-the-x-files

AllYellowXF-RCP (resized).jpgAllYellowXF-RCP (resized).jpg

4 months later
#962 1 year ago

I'm a monster of the week fan too.

#965 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Favorite episode(s)? I'm rewatching the series now. Have yet to see the new seasons.

A couple that come to mind but not by title lol
- Flukeman, of course
- The werewolf one -- the scene where it's mauling someone in the background while in the foreground you're seeing a drink jostle around on the porch, that stuck with me for a long time
- the satanist cult evil devil lady at the school (remember the pig dissection scene?)
- the circus freakshow
- the Giovanni ribisi lightning one
-

9 months later
#1002 1 year ago

So excited to see Chad finally has the game ... so sad that I no longer have mine.

Good luck Chad, make it awesome!

1 month later
#1042 1 year ago

I knew you'd finally get around to making these updates and I'd regret having sold mine....

2 months later
#1064 9 months ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

ChadH did an awesome job with improving TFTC code. I still have that game. I’m very much looking forward to his work on X Files.

Data East Jurassic Park too, phenomenal job. I was sad to sell X Files when it was initially rumored that Chad was going to work on the code, but it was lowest on the totem pole at the time. And that's not a bad thing, XF is an awesome game! I do miss it, hence why I'm still lurking around here lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skyking2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-and-rules-to-x-files?tu=skyking2301 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.