20231116_213838 (resized).jpg
20231116_203253 (resized).jpg
20231116_210301 (resized).jpg
20231116_203240 (resized).jpg
20231108_163259 (resized).jpg
20231108_163305 (resized).jpg
20231108_163308 (resized).jpg
20231108_163326 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#485 6 years ago

Just joined the club! Bought a player's condition X-Files for a decent price. It could use some love -- cleaning, new rubbers, new bulbs -- but it plays well.

What a fun pin! I love the middle orbit, and the ramps feel great when you hit them. I'm also a long time fan of the show.

I need to read up in this thread and am sure I'll have some questions. I'll post some pics later. Just wanted to say hi.

UPDATE: Now with picture.
X-Files (resized).JPGX-Files (resized).JPG

#486 6 years ago

Hey guys, I have a list of questions I was hoping you could help me out with:

1. I want to buy LEDs for the whole thing. Am I right that I should get non-ghosting LEDs for the inserts but regular LEDs for the other areas? Also, is the manual right as to how many bulbs you need? For instance, on pages 66-67, it says you need 52 #44 bulbs and 13 #89 bulbs. I don't see that many bulbs in the game in addition to all the #555 bulbs that there are.

2. Has anyone added Titan silcone rings to their game. I'm wondering what color to do. I'm thinking blue. Ideas? Also, is the manual correct in its ring count? I know some manuals are wrong / have errors in this department.

3. Has anyone installed the NVRAM? Is it as simple as popping the old chip out and inserting the NVRAM? I'm thinking about getting the one from pinballlife. I don't have the skills to soder directly to the board so I want to make sure this is socketed, and all I have to do is put it in.

4. I'm thinking about ordering a new metal plate from Cliffy as mine is pretty old and discolored. It is also peeling. How do I get the old one off? Does the new one come with an adhesive back?

5. Do you know what type of machine screws to get to connect the ramps to the hex posts? (see pictures below) The posts say 6-32 tap in the manual. Does that mean I need 6-32 screws? (Sorry for the basic question.)
XF Ramp 2 (resized).JPGXF Ramp 2 (resized).JPG
XF Ramp 1 (resized).JPGXF Ramp 1 (resized).JPG

#488 6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

#493 6 years ago

Thanks again all. I ended up doing a combination of looking at the manual and looking under the playfield. Hopefully, I got it right. This is my first full LED conversion on a pin. I didn't realize how expensive it is . . . .

1 week later
#494 6 years ago

Rules question: It seems like the difference between choosing Mulder or Scully at the start is that for Mulder, you need less shots to start the cabinet MB, and for Scully, you have more X shots spotted to start the Truth MB. Is that right? Also, I believe the lit X return lanes lights another X on the main playfield to help you get closer to the Truth MB. Is that right as well? Finally, how do you light the X in the return lanes?

#496 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

yes yes yes and yes.
Hmm I dont think there is a way to lite X in the return lanes, i seem to recall they happen to be lit whenever the ball rolls down a ramp towards it? Hmm.

Thanks for confirming. It would be weird if hitting the ramp lit the X in the return lanes. I'll have to pay more attention and see if I can figure out what causes it.

#497 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks for confirming. It would be weird if hitting the ramp lit the X in the return lanes. I'll have to pay more attention and see if I can figure out what causes it.

Played a few games -- probably not enough to say for sure -- but what I think I figured out is that the X in the return lanes is not lit at all for Mulder. For Scully, it is lit initially, and then relit after each made shot up until you get Truth MB. After that, it seems the X in the return lanes doesn't light anymore. So, I'm guessing that the bonus ability of choosing Mulder or Scully only lasts until the first MB and then goes away.

1 week later
#502 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Played a few games -- probably not enough to say for sure -- but what I think I figured out is that the X in the return lanes is not lit at all for Mulder. For Scully, it is lit initially, and then relit after each made shot up until you get Truth MB. After that, it seems the X in the return lanes doesn't light anymore. So, I'm guessing that the bonus ability of choosing Mulder or Scully only lasts until the first MB and then goes away.

I was a little off about the Scully rules. I believe the X in the return lanes lights a hurry-up X on the playfield, giving you an extra X to get. If you don't get it in time, the X on the playfield goes away, and the X in the return lane lights again.

#504 6 years ago

When I used to play Truth MB, I could shoot a ball to the cabinet and have the magnet hold it while I continued to play with the other balls. However, I just replaced the metal Cliffy magnet protector with a brand new one from Cliffy. Now, the magnet seems too weak to hold the ball. If I hit it there, the ball is not captured by the magnet. If I gently place it there with my hand, it is captured. The magnet seems to work in all other modes and can still throw the ball around. I read somewhere that some people have the ability to have the magnet hold the ball in Truth MB and for some, this doesn't seem to work. Could there be something about the new Cliffy that is more shielding to magnetism than the old?

#506 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

When I used to play Truth MB, I could shoot a ball to the cabinet and have the magnet hold it while I continued to play with the other balls. However, I just replaced the metal Cliffy magnet protector with a brand new one from Cliffy. Now, the magnet seems too weak to hold the ball. If I hit it there, the ball is not captured by the magnet. If I gently place it there with my hand, it is captured. The magnet seems to work in all other modes and can still throw the ball around. I read somewhere that some people have the ability to have the magnet hold the ball in Truth MB and for some, this doesn't seem to work. Could there be something about the new Cliffy that is more shielding to magnetism than the old?

I figured it out. The first opto was misaligned. It is that opto that triggers the full magnet to hold the ball during Truth MB. It must have gotten misaligned when I was doing work in that area. Tricky thing to keep aligned. . . .

#511 6 years ago

Had some people over last night and we played a four player game. The DMD showed six scores, and it took a while to realize that it had us playing in teams with players 1 and 3 scores showing with a total combined score; the same with players 2 and 4. I couldn't find a setting to turn team play on and off. Is this just the default when four or more people play? Is there a setting?

#515 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Not as I know, its just a Sega thing But yeah, it might be confusiong at first.

Ah, so it is standard for Sega pins? I didn't realize. Kind of cool.

#517 6 years ago

My cabinet is developing a slight crack. I would like to reinforce the skin with bondo fiberglass and resin from the back side. Anyone ever do this before? Any issues with fit in terms of putting it back on? How easy is it to get the cabinet assembly out of the game? Does it just unscrew from under the playfield with one connector to dettach?

Thanks!

#518 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

My cabinet is developing a slight crack. I would like to reinforce the skin with bondo fiberglass and resin from the back side. Anyone ever do this before? Any issues with fit in terms of putting it back on? How easy is it to get the cabinet assembly out of the game? Does it just unscrew from under the playfield with one connector to dettach?
Thanks!

Well, I figured this out on my own today. Just in case anyone needs to try this themselves, it is very easy getting the file cabinet out of the game. There are 3 connectors under the playfield, all within easy reach, that need to be detached. Then, there are about 6 bolts to unscrew if I remember correctly. The hard part for me came in removing the plastic skin from the filing cabinet. I really had to pry it off after removing the screws, and I was afraid I was going to create another crack. Fortunately, it held up, as it is fairly flexible. I think over time the skin developed a suction like grip around the filing cabinet assembly, but I got it off.

I then used a Bondo fiberglass and resin kit. You mix the resin with hardener, brush it on to the other side of the skin, apply some fiberglass, brush on more resin, and repeat a few times. You can get the kit off of Amazon. It is not too expensive and easy to use. It takes two hours to cure. Luckily, the skin fit easily back over the filing cabinet. It seems much more solid now and really reinforced the crack that had developed. Time will tell whether it will stand up to the constant pounding of the ball, but I think it will (knock on wood).

One thing I noticed when I took the file cabinet out is that I was missing one of the screws that held the skin onto the assembly. That let the bottom portion of the skin move back and forth some and not rest firmly against the metal of the assembly. I'm not sure if that contributed to the crack, but I replaced the screw so everything is tight together now.

#521 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Mine has gotten a crack too, but i just ordered a new replacement cabinet, marco got them in stock now again

Nice to hear. If mine ever gets worse, I may order one, but they're pretty darn expensive. It might be worth reinforcing the back side like I did before you install it.

1 week later
#526 6 years ago
Quoted from Stal8080:

Were your optos passing tests??

No, the first opto (closest to the player) was misaligned and not working. That was causing the problem. When I got it aligned again, the magnet would hold the ball during Truth MB. That is likely your problem.

#528 6 years ago
Quoted from Stal8080:

so only with TRUTH MB the magnet is suppose to suspend/hold the ball correct??? Now I need to get to drilling out these locks to test and make sure opto's are aligned.

Yes, I believe so. There are other modes where the magnet is active, but Truth MB is the only one that holds the ball.

Good luck with the locks. That sucks.

#531 6 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

but then the last shot for truth MB is to go into the cabinet so it then becomes a PITA because it makes that harder.

I actually find it a little easier to Newton one ball into the other and into the cabinet than to try to hit the cabinet outright where too hard a shot can brick back at you.

#532 6 years ago

I have a question about how the extra ball gets lit. I read somewhere that it is lit when you hit the left ramp three times, but that doesn't seem to do it for me. Instead, hitting the left ramp three times activates Tooms which allows you to hit the launch button repeatedly to increase the value before the short timer runs out. The only time I get extra ball lit is when I have a really crappy first two balls. It is like the pin is saying, "You suck! Here's an extra ball to help." Can someone clarify the rules?

#534 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Three left ramp shots starts tooms. After the next three shots (i think it is three), extra ball is lit. So six left ramp shots should lite it.
In tournament mode extra ball awards 500 k

Thanks. And, I assume the extra ball for doing crappy on the first two balls is normal too?

#546 6 years ago
Quoted from Kensurfs:

Gents, I just picked up my first X-Files pinball machine last week. The filing cabinet has a bit of a crack, and I bought a replacement cabinet from Marcos. Any tips on how to remove the original? The two screws on the lower part of the file cabinet look hard to remove from the top of the play field. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ken

I would definitely remove the filing cabinet assembly from underneath the playfield. It is simple to do, and you will have a much easier time removing the rubber skin, which as I said above, can grip the assembly fairly tightly. I wouldn't want to try to peel it off with the assembly in place from the top of the playfield.

#547 6 years ago

SXYZXYS (or however its spelled) X-File mode should be a 2 ball multiball, is that right? Because, lately, the game is only kicking one ball out. All trough switches work. Is there a setting or something that I might have gotten messed up that I need to adjust?

#548 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

SXYZXYS (or however its spelled) X-File mode should be a 2 ball multiball, is that right? Because, lately, the game is only kicking one ball out. All trough switches work. Is there a setting or something that I might have gotten messed up that I need to adjust?

Actually, this is an intermittent problem, which may suggest a switch issue, but I'm not sure which switch would cause it. Any ideas?

1 month later
#561 6 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Hey guys just picked up xfiles! It's kind of a work in progress! My question is I don't think my Optus are working! They are lighting up in front of the file cabinet but if I put a ball up to them nothing happens! Also it's ejecting multiple balls into th shooter lane. Is this just an opto problem or board? Thanks for any help!!!!!

Make sure the optos are aligned properly with each other. They move out of position easily.

#565 6 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Trying to make sure every thing is working right! So I have two questions. When does the diverter pop up in the back of the play field and causes it and what triggers the file cabinet to drop a drawer? I guess that's three questions ha ha.
Thanks guys

The diverted pops up unless you are shooting an X shot or in a mode. In those cases, it is down for the orbit.

The filing cabinet takes a certain number of hits to get ready for MB. On the last two hits, it starts dropping down. If you are playing as Mulder, the number of hits is less, and on the start of each new ball, it drops one. Playing as Scully requires more hits, and you don't get any free drops.

1 month later
#578 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

This thread makes me happy to know I'm not alone in really digging this game!

It’s a fast, brutal and fun game. It is my go to pin for a quick fix.

2 months later
#583 6 years ago
Quoted from cutlerkeith:

Does anyone know where I can get a magnet plate for my X-Files part number 535-8265-01

The metal plate over the magnet that prevents wear? Cliffy sells them. You may have to email him. I’m not sure if they are on his website or not.

3 months later
#625 5 years ago

Has anyone experimented with different color LEDs for the inserts in front of the drain? I have white in there, and it just doesn’t look right when they shine through the artwork on top. Everywhere else I have color matched the LED to the insert, and the game really pops. I thought I saw someone do blue, but I could be wrong.

3 months later
#644 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

What is the going price for an X Files these days? Good shape with no mods and a filing cabinet that still looks good

Probably $2200 plus or minus depending on condition.

3 months later
#648 5 years ago

Most of my shots into the filing cabinet are rejected. It takes a soft shot or a richochet off of a post to go in. Is this normal? Is there a way to adjust it so more direct shots go in?

1 week later
#652 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Most of my shots into the filing cabinet are rejected. It takes a soft shot or a richochet off of a post to go in. Is this normal? Is there a way to adjust it so more direct shots go in?

Bump. Anyone?

#654 5 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Is the filing cabinet leveled correctly to the playfield?

I thought so, but is there a way to adjust it? If so, I can play around with it.

#656 5 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Yes it attaches from under the playfield

That much I know, but I thought it was just four screws. I didn’t see anything to adjust the height. Is there something specific for that, or are you just talking about putting something between the screws and the playfield, such as washers or something?

#658 5 years ago

Thanks. I took a close look at mine, and it seems level. I took some slow motion videos, and the ball seems to go in and then bounce back. I think it has to do with the cabinet flap not fully folding back into the cabinet but only going part way and hitting the back end of the cabinet at an angle. This means that a hard shot is likely to bounce back, while a softer shot will more likely drop to the bottom of the cabinet. I'm surprised if I'm the only one who has this issue, but I'm not sure there is more to do to fix it.

5 months later
#716 4 years ago

I just noticed that there are two empty switch slots on the orbit. Anyone know why? Was it a redesign after the playfields were made?

#718 4 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I noticed the same thing. I think they had to move them up in order for the diverter post in the back to become effective.

Makes sense. So they didn’t test things in the 90s before making playfields?

2 weeks later
#724 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have a question for fellow X-Files owners, just picked up one for my wife and after going through it noticed something odd.
There is a 906 flasher under the FBI trapdoor which never seems to work. One would think logically that as soon as the door is open, it would be going off. I can trigger it in the test menu but have never seen it go off during game play. Is this normal?

What about during that mode — I forget the name — where you first shoot the trap door while points run down backwards, and then once you get it, all shots are worth that number of points. I’m pretty sure it flashes there while the door is open for the first shot.

#732 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Watched two videos on youtube, not seeing any flashing. The video above is linked right before it goes into Terma.
Curious.

It’s subtle. May be hard to see in a video.

6 months later
#748 4 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I've been shopping an X-Files that I took in trade. The cabinet was in rough shape, but boards were good and playfield decent (typical metal covered magnet area). Did a 95% topside teardown, 3 stage buff and polish, followed by a coat of 1Grand wax. New Titan rubbers, tweaked some lighting, added a couple more spotlights, flipper rebuild, file cabinet tweak, as well as installed custom carbon fiber magnet cover and "trap door" area. I completely stripped and painted the cabinet prior to installing RetroRefurbs cabinet decals, and "Sideblades". I refinished the entire "Showcase" backbox, and added LED tube light. Added Flipper Fidelity backbox speakers and cabinet speaker. Refinished the side rails and lockdown bar using "HEP" inspired products and procedures. New DMD and translight lexan. Lit the start button, and the "back wall" Scully and Mulder badges, installed purple lighted flipper buttons. The game now looks great and plays fast.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice job!

Looks great!

#750 4 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Just a tad different from when it came to me.

Well, the high score is still there.

3 months later
#773 3 years ago
Quoted from jerrydman:

I am moving this machine in a pod. Since it does not good flat, any suggestions?

Are you talking about putting the backbox down and worried about the stress on the arms over a prolonged period of time? If so, put a folded or bunched up blanket in the space between the head and the playfield glass to even out the pressure.

#776 3 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Nokoro......That is your old X-Files above.

Yeah, I saw that my initials are still there. Either you guys aren’t playing enough, or I’m that good. I don’t think it’s the latter.

The blue DMD looks great, by the way. Really nice job with the pin.

3 months later
#800 3 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Thanks for the info! I ended up just putting a few washers where the subway connects to the playfield so it’s further away from the play field. It works perfectly. Ball clears it every time. Easy fix.
Also wondering your guys opinion on getting some non ghosting LED’s or should I just get led ocd? It already has LED’s in it and it looks really nice but they ghost like crazy. Figure I would spend around $75 or so on leds for the inserts or I can get that ocd board for $135.

Non ghosting LEDs worked perfectly for me when I had the game.

1 year later
#926 2 years ago
Quoted from MG7322:

My X-files has been on free play at Pintastic NE since Thursday and it is still going strong! Lots of plays and it seems pretty popular! One file cabinet issue (stopped working) but reset the connector and so far so good.
[quoted image]

Saw this there today. Looked great!

4 months later
#949 2 years ago
Quoted from Cudasales:

Brand New Xfiles Cabinet ready for installation.
Has anyone here ever replaced the "FILE CABINET?" Are there any videos or a writeup going into detail on the process of doing this? Mine works but has seen better days as it's pretty torn up with pieces of the plastic missing and looks terrible. I have a NEW, Minty Fresh file cabinet and would like to get an idea of the steps required in performing the replacement.
Any information is appreciated.
Thank you
[quoted image]

I repaired mine way back when. I don’t remember specific steps, but I think it was pretty straightforward. Unplug the connectors, remove a few screws and just pull out the mech. I think the skin isn’t too bad to take off once you have the mech out. You may have to make sure the cabinet is in the right position before removing, but I don’t recall whether it was up or down.

2 months later
#969 1 year ago
Quoted from Techsture:

Hi everyone,
Having a strange issue with my X-Files (just when I thought everything was fixed)!
It seems that the File Cabinet is registering double hits. Looks like it only happens when the File Cabinet is moving down, though. So, it'll go from all the way up to all the way down on "2 more times". You can hear it registering a second hit as well, it's not like the motor is just going all the way.
Has anyone else had this issue? The opto looks clean, and it was perfectly fine up until a few weeks ago. Granted, I hadn't played for a bit because I was on vacation and had other stuff going on.
TIA!
Mike

Maybe the opto got slightly misaligned and is registering phantom hits?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-and-rules-to-x-files?tu=nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.