20231116_213838 (resized).jpg
20231116_203253 (resized).jpg
20231116_210301 (resized).jpg
20231116_203240 (resized).jpg
20231108_163259 (resized).jpg
20231108_163305 (resized).jpg
20231108_163308 (resized).jpg
20231108_163326 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#813 3 years ago

Does anyone have an X-Files that lives in the Chicagoland area that would lend it to me? I would like to do a code update for this game but I need to get my hands on an actual game for an extended period of time in my basement.

I have done several code updates that can be found here:
https://www.pinballcode.com/

Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!

#818 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Does anyone have an X-Files that lives in the Chicagoland area that would lend it to me? I would like to do a code update for this game but I need to get my hands on an actual game for an extended period of time in my basement.
I have done several code updates that can be found here:
Please PM me if you are interested.
Thanks!

If everything goes as planned, in approximately one month, I will have an X-Files in my basement.

I've been reading up on the rules to this game. I found this here: http://pinball.org/rules/xfiles.html

Is there a better rule set written out? Or a good video explaining this game's rules in detail?

#821 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

There's no skill shot, per se.

That's interesting... I found these:

skillshot1 (resized).PNGskillshot1 (resized).PNG
skillshot2 (resized).PNGskillshot2 (resized).PNG
skillshot3 (resized).PNGskillshot3 (resized).PNG
skillshot4 (resized).PNGskillshot4 (resized).PNG

#825 3 years ago

Question for X-Files owners... does Audit 83 (Video Mode Started) or Audit 84 (Video Mode Complete) ever increase to anything above 00 for you?

#827 3 years ago

Video mode?
Is there one buried in the code unimplemented? Possibly just remnant of the Sega menu template for other games?

Actually looks like there were two video modes... but there are no video assets for them so these are probably lost to time.

Also, looks like there is an unused "Extra Ball Hurry Up" type mode... where you have 15 seconds to shoot the Right Ramp. I don't think that is in the game, right?

#831 3 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Digging in for a potential code rewrite chadh ?

Yes!

Feel free to send any suggestions my way.

#838 3 years ago

Would be great if someone could take this...

https://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/4137/XFILES.HTM

...and fill in the details, correct anything wrong, and clarify the existing rules.

Or does a more complete write up exist somewhere already?

#841 3 years ago

I don’t have any adjustments made to modes other than setting the game to “hard” (it defaults to “very easy”).

From what I am seeing, v.3.03 (from ipdb.org) has a default of Moderate for Adjustment 6 (Game Difficulty).

Is everyone running CPU v.3.03 and DISPLAY v.3.00? Are there any other versions out there? ipdb.org only has the versions I mentioned.

#843 3 years ago

I just made an assumption after I accidentally “star reset” my game, it was suddenly on very easy and all my audits and HSTD were reset (fortunately/unfortunately I have yet to knock down the default GC score lol).
Those are the versions I’m running.

If you are going to do some rules documenting, then I'd first recommend doing a Factory Reset (since everything is wiped anyways). At that point, your game should be set to Moderate difficulty. Best to document with all the defaults.

#844 3 years ago

Scoring bug:
I can’t remember if it’s Flukemen or Hambug but first shot made is 300k, second shot is 400k, final shot is 500k but when the mode ends you get a total of 1mil. I’m no math whiz but something doesn’t seem right to me.

Confirmed bug. This is how The Host (Flukeman) mode is supposed to score:

Start of mode = 100,000 (not displayed, all modes start with granting 100,000)
First ramp shot = 200,000
Second ramp shot = 300,000
Hole shot = 400,000
Total Mode Bonus = 1,000,000

However, the game is displaying the ramp and hole shot scoring incorrectly... it is instead showing these wrong values:

Start of mode = 100,000 (not displayed, all modes start with granting 100,000)
First ramp shot = 300,000 <<< wrong value displayed
Second ramp shot = 400,000 <<< wrong value displayed
Hole shot = 500,000 <<< wrong value displayed
Total Mode Bonus = 1,000,000

Actual scoring is correct, only the display of the scoring is bugged.

#846 3 years ago

That reminds me of the other scoring bug I’ve noticed in Syzygy. Assuming you do get 100k for starting the mode, which is awarded if you drain a ball without making any shots, ending the mode. If you hit a single ramp you’re awarded 200k and if you end the mode, you only score a total of 200k.

Confirmed bug.

During Syzygy mode, every time the game is telling you to "SHOOT A RAMP!" the score it is offering on the display is always wrong. The game will show an amount starting at 200,000. The next time "SHOOT A RAMP!" is displayed it will show the offered amount of 300,000. Then 400,000 and so on.

However! The ACTUAL amount the game grants when you do shoot a ramp is ALWAYS 100,000.

#848 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Confirmed bug.
During Syzygy mode, every time the game is telling you to "SHOOT A RAMP!" the score it is offering on the display is always wrong. The game will show an amount starting at 200,000. The next time "SHOOT A RAMP!" is displayed it will show the offered amount of 300,000. Then 400,000 and so on.
However! The ACTUAL amount the game grants when you do shoot a ramp is ALWAYS 100,000.

I should point out that after each "SHOOT A RAMP!" shot, there is a "SHOOT THE HOLE!" shot that increases each time... the hole shot is displaying and scoring correctly.

#850 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

How are you disassembling the code? are you reading the ASM or did you decompile it to C?

Reading the raw disassembled ASM.

3 months later
#860 3 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Chad, I appreciate this, your TFTC code has been very good to me. I have been playing The X-Files extra heavy as of late, in case I can answer any questions or contribute in any way.

I am excited to start working on this. Unfortunately, I don't have the game in my house yet. Hopefully I will get it soon. Until then, I can't proceed with the update. I'll let you all know when I get it and can get started.

3 months later
#870 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Any update on this as a more balanced scoring and bonus would be amazing....

Unfortunately, no. I still do not have the game in my possession. Once I get it, I'll be able to hit the ground running as I have already reverse engineered the code.

10 months later
#956 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Did anyone ever do an upgrade on the software for this title? Anything to make it a better player?

I am all set to do a code update for this game... just need the actual game in my house to be able to program it.

3 months later
#979 1 year ago

ChadH Any updates on getting a game to do that code update?

Unfortunately, no.

2 months later
#983 1 year ago
Quoted from A1k71:

Do you know if there is anyone working on a new code for this game???
I have a couple of ideas would like to discuss to improve game experience - including adding Skill-shot and complete mission help

I'll do an update once I get my hands on a game.

3 months later
#997 1 year ago

I now have an X-Files in my house! Do you know what this means?

#1000 1 year ago

Not sure if this is general knowledge... but a warning for anyone who has done a "Film Star Reset" on your X-Files. If you do this, you are setting all the difficulty settings to EXTRA EASY. Also, there is no confirmation when you do a "Film Star Reset" so be careful. I guess the purpose of "Film Star Reset" was to quickly set the game to the easiest possible settings for red carpet events during the premiere of the game.

The regular Factory Reset will set the game like this:

Adjustment 06 - Game Difficulty: MODERATE
Adjustment 44 - Mball Restart: MODERATE
Adjustment 46 - Multiball Criterion: MODERATE
Adjustment 47 - Orbit Criterion: MODERATE
Adjustment 48 - Ramp Criterion: MODERATE

The "Film Star Reset" will set the game like this:

Adjustment 06 - Game Difficulty: EXTRA EASY
Adjustment 44 - Mball Restart: EXTRA EASY
Adjustment 46 - Multiball Criterion: EXTRA EASY
Adjustment 47 - Orbit Criterion: EXTRA EASY
Adjustment 48 - Ramp Criterion: EXTRA EASY

Another warning... when doing either a Factory Reset or a "Film Star Reset", the game volume defaults to something pretty high, at least on the machine I am using, so don't be shocked when suddenly the music is playing really loud. Be prepared to lower the volume right away.

I hope you haven't been accidentally playing your game on EXTRA EASY all this time.

#1001 1 year ago

I am curious to know what you all have your volume set to.

The default is 15. But that is very loud on my game.

I am setting mine to between 2 and 6 depending on environment.

Can you all take a quick look and let me know? Just open door and hit the red volume button on the left one time and it will show you current volume setting.

If yours is less than 15, please try turning it up to 15 for a little bit and let me know what you think of that volume level.

1 week later
#1015 1 year ago

I don’t keep my games all that loud but I have mine set to 3. I cranked it to 15 to see and it was horrible. The audio quality on those Segas was so poor but at default volume the peaks were just unbearable.

Quoted from Bugsy:

ChadH, yes 15 is very loud. I turned my game down to 3 which seems a much more reasonable level

Quoted from supermoot:

We are on 3 in a loud pinball bar. Anything higher is murderous. I've always assumed something is broken in the sound area. I did a bunch of googling a couple years ago and there may be differences in some resistors in the sound section or something. Not a ton of whitestar info out there.

Thanks for the feed back. So it's not just the machine I am working on. The default volume level of 15 is way too loud. I will be adjusting it down so whenever you reset your machine (or update the code ) then it will not wake the neighbors.

2 weeks later
#1018 1 year ago

I am curious to know everyone's thinking on Mulder vs. Scully.

If you are playing for fun, which character do you choose... Mulder or Scully? And why?

If you are in a tournament for high score, which would you choose? And why?

2 weeks later
#1032 11 months ago

Do you recognize any of these sound calls being used in the game? If so, where?

Mulder: "I think this area is being subjected to a controlled experiment"
Mulder: "Why are you here?"
Scully: "Hope it's nothing serious"

#1034 11 months ago

Guess what's coming to X-Files?

Skill Shot!

Every ball you are offered a Skill Shot. If you are successful, you get the points and will be offered the next level Skill Shot on your next ball (including extra balls). If you miss, you are awarded no points and will be offered the same level Skill Shot on your next ball.

Skill Shot 1: Left Orbit - 250,000
Skill Shot 2: Left Ramp - 500,000
Skill Shot 3: Left Mini Loop - 1,000,000

Example...
Ball 1, you miss Skill Shot 1 (Left Orbit).
Ball 2, you make Skill Shot 1 (Left Orbit) and are awarded 250,000 points.
Ball 3, you miss Skill Shot 2 (Left Ramp) but during that ball you get an Extra Ball.
Ball 3 (extra ball), you make Skill Shot 2 (Left Ramp) and are awarded 500,000 points.

Another example...
Ball 1, you make Skill Shot 1 (Left Orbit) and are awarded 250,000 points.
Ball 2, you make Skill Shot 2 (Left Ramp) and are awarded 500,000 points.
Ball 3, you make Skill Shot 3 (Left Mini Loop) and are awarded 1,000,000 points, and during that ball you get an Extra Ball.
Ball 3 (extra ball), you make Skill Shot 3 (Left Mini Loop) and are awarded 1,000,000 points, you are hot tonight!

While the ball is in the Shooter Lane, the display will show the current Skill Shot and its value (alternating with showing the usual current player number/score screen, and the Push Button To Launch Ball screen). Also, the associated playfield arrow lamp will be flashing. If you make the Skill Shot, the display will show you made the shot and the value (with success sound effect). If you miss, the display will show you missed (with fail sound effect).

If your game is set to more than 3 balls, the Skill Shot is still capped at 1,000,000.

(everything above is subject to change based on testing.)

#1036 11 months ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Will the skill shot be on a timer, or based on a switch hit? For example, if you miss the skill shot, and don't hit any other switches but get control of the ball again, will you be able to take a second shot? Or say you cradle up just after launching the ball. Will you be able to take your time and measure up your shot, or will it be a more "on the fly" type shot?
If you miss the skill shot and do hit one switch, is that it, or do you still get a second attempt if able to cradle up?
Adding a skill shot sounds great regardless!

No timer. Purely switch based. As long as you don’t hit a wrong switch, it will remain active… so there may be times where you get multiple chances if your shot didn’t activate any switches.

#1037 11 months ago

Did you know that every time you start a mode (Herrenvolk, Terma, Smoking Man, etc) you are silently granted 200,000 points? Then the mode starts and it is well known that all modes have a starting bonus of 100,000 points which you add to by making the shots defined in the mode. Then at the end of the mode, it shows you the total of that 100,000 starting bonus plus any bonuses from the shots you made. That bonus shown does NOT include the silent 200,000 you were granted up front.

So really... every time you start a mode you are ultimately granted 300,000 points.

#1040 11 months ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

Yes that could really be the case.
I think in some missions like The Host points are also not added correctly.
The silent 200k can be the reason for this.

Yep, The Host and Syzygy both have bugs with scoring.

Also, Terma isn't granting the Starting Bonus.

I'm fixing all these things. Plus a lot more stuff.

#1041 11 months ago

Another "coming soon"...

X Files Champ!

Found remnants of an unfinished implementation of a secondary "high score" feature. So I polished it up and finished it off.

X Files Champ will keep track of the player who has started the most X Files modes. If you beat the X Files Champ high score, you get you enter your initials at the end of the game (along with regular high score if you achieved one) and this will be displayed during Attract Mode just after the regular high scores are displayed.

#1044 11 months ago

I don't know if these are well known but I found some flipper codes... try these during Attract Mode.

L, R, Lx2, Rx2, Lx3, Rx3
Lx2, Rx2, Lx2, Rx2
Lx4, Rx7, Lx8

2 months later
#1055 9 months ago

My X-Files code update is nearing completion. I am looking for one or two beta testers.

1) Must have a good understanding of how the rules functions today.
2) Must be able to burn your own ROM. In this case, only need to be able to burn the single CPU ROM which is a 27C010 or 27C1001 or 27C101.
3) Must be able to offer timely feedback.
4) Must not share the beta ROMs with anyone to avoid confusion when I release the final version.

PM me if interested and provide me your email address.

#1057 9 months ago

Unfortunately my subway is doing a very weird thing in multiball right now. The game loses track of the 3rd ball in Cabinet Multiball. It's not a physical hangup or anything, just doesn't recognize the third ball in the VUK after it shifts down. So I end up with a one-ball multiball, then when that drains, I have to wait for ball search. Happens in about 90% of my cabinet multiballs. Not sure what to make of it.

Probably best to go into switch test mode and take a close look at all the switches in the same Row and Column as the Super VUK switch.

X-files-switch-matrix-VUK (resized).pngX-files-switch-matrix-VUK (resized).png

2 months later
#1105 6 months ago

X-FILES v.3.04 Unofficial Patch has been released!

This update involves only updating the CPU ROM.

Hope you enjoy it. A link to the download and all the changes made to the game can be found here:

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

1 week later
#1115 6 months ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Hey all, just got the new rom in the mail and i just wanted to verify that the correct placement is at U210 on the CPU board, yes? All the labels on my chip set are illegible and the online manual looks like drek. Thanks for the help!

Yes. U210 in the upper right section. Take note of the orientation of the ROM as it is possible to put it in backwards. X-Files CPU ROM has the notch at the bottom.

The CPU ROM can be found on the MPU board in the backbox at location U210.
Turn off power to game when changing ROMs.
Be very careful when removing the old ROMs and inserting the new ROMs.
Make sure the ROMs are oriented correctly and make sure all the legs are correctly aligned with
the sockets when inserting.
Installing new ROMs in your game will erase any high scores or game customizations. Be prepared to
change any settings (such as enabling X-Files Adjustment 28 - Free Play) after you replace the ROM.

2 weeks later
#1121 5 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Finally installed the 3.04 code update. Some really great changes, most noticeable is the skill shot.
Unfortunately, I'm so busy trying to see what's changed as far as scoring I look up to much. I can't get over 7 mil!
I look forward to getting deeper in the future and will definitely be making a donation for a job well done! Thanks Chad. I can't wait to get that GC score off the top of the board.

Thanks for the feedback. Happy to hear you are enjoying it!

1 week later
#1126 5 months ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

Today I have installed the V.3.04 code update.
It's absolut fantastic, there are so many little improvements.
Lightling effects, Skillshot, Ballsaver, new MB Rules, complete new mode rules for "Humbug" and more
Big thanks to ChadH and Midway-Man!
Donation is made

Great to hear your thoughts on the update! Thank you for the feedback.

Midway-Man and I would like to work on Batman Forever next. Hoping someone out there has one to lend me.

#1133 5 months ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

It’s not a bug, it’s the new dynamic progression.
The original Sega behavior always required the same amount of X shots to start Truth Multiball. No matter how many times Truth Multiball was started in one game.
With the New Software.
It is always +1.
So the first time it requires 5 X shots. The next time 6… then 7 and so on.
However. The game only shows the progress(at the big insert) if 4 shots are left. Unfortunately we couldn’t change that.

Yep. The display will always show the proper number for the amount of shots remaining. But the lit branches of the X in the display along with the associated lamps in the big X insert will only begin lighting when you've reached 4 shots left.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-and-rules-to-x-files?tu=chadh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.