20231116_213838 (resized).jpg
20231116_203253 (resized).jpg
20231116_210301 (resized).jpg
20231116_203240 (resized).jpg
20231108_163259 (resized).jpg
20231108_163305 (resized).jpg
20231108_163308 (resized).jpg
20231108_163326 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Edenecho.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 9 years ago

Dont know how much activity there is in the restoration forum, so just attaching my last post here, maybe some other Sega/X files lovers have an opinion

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-files-repairing-damaged-insert-caused-by-mylar

What is the best way to repair the red mini hot dog insert in front of the file cabinet?
Put on a red transparent sticker on it and then a mylar, or as a quick fix is it sufficient just slapping a mylar directly on the red damaged insert?

filecab.jpgfilecab.jpg
1 month later
#58 8 years ago

It had been in storage for many years, and was already starting to tear loose and bending. Only option would have to be to "slide" more glue under the open part of it and stick it down. but better to remove it and give it a good cleaning. Putting a mylar over the magnet area should prevent any wear?

#60 8 years ago

If I should consider that it would be handy with a "new" plate, since it has started bending. But it seems nowhere to be bought. But thats another issue.

My question was: What is the best way to repair the red mini hot dog insert in front of the file cabinet?
Put on a red transparent sticker on it and then a mylar, or as a quick fix is it sufficient just slapping a mylar directly on the red damaged insert?

#61 8 years ago

PoMC, flukeman looking good, will consider that lightning too

#64 8 years ago

I have been waiting for this game for over a year, so hopefully will have it fixed and up and running in 2-3 weeks! Will be amazing

#68 8 years ago

Todays effort was:

1. Discovering the opto issue was misalignment.
Fixed both sets.
2. Discovered that the ball trough issue was caused by the two lower switches dont have a leaf!!:p
3. Cleaned the x- plastic under playfield.
3. Changed the X bulbs to led just to see the effect.

So will order new switches and flipper coil this week.

20150508_211739.jpg20150508_211739.jpg 20150508_210804.jpg20150508_210804.jpg 20150508_204925.jpg20150508_204925.jpg
#69 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this thread is still going? figured the 3 people that actually like this game would have talked it out already.

Its not our fault you cant hit the only two ramps in the game

#71 8 years ago

Well that excuse wont help you in tournaments

#73 8 years ago

For the "alien cannister" bumper ring led mod, any suggestions to shere to connect the bumper ribg led to? Thinking of the one that goes to the topside of the cannister.

#76 8 years ago

Will try that, the vuk ejects balls so hard i fear my right ramp below it will break above the inlane hehe

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Be nice Neo. I love my Xfiles. I'm a fan of the show so that helps. Has anyone else heard that they are doing a limited maybe 6-13 episode reboot in the near future? All of the original actors are supposed to be signed on.

yeah heard it! Excited Just hearing something new with the intro music will be great.

#83 8 years ago

So i would assume soldering or somehow tying the led ring together with the red bulb in the cannister, should work. It is on during superpops. Will look into it.

#86 8 years ago

Parental advisory: Alien fingering and brain torture..

20150513_235735.jpg20150513_235735.jpg 20150514_001406.jpg20150514_001406.jpg
#88 8 years ago

Thanks, ill have to play it for a while to see if i think it will work, but I did the following:

Used one of the red 555 bulb sockets in the cannister for the led ring, so in super pops mode it will alternate between green ring and red bulb. This might not be optimal but i will try it for a while.

It was really tight and complicated getting things fastened in teh cannister, I thougth first the top could be taken off, but no. I ended up removing the baby, pulled out the top screws holding the bulb brackets, and then fastening the led ring between the top and the bulb-bases. Im open to other suggestions, but it seems to work. For fastening the bulb brackets again, I did the screws opposite. the nut is on top of the cannister and the screws was entered from the inside.

#90 8 years ago

Will do, Ill probably get it playable tomorrow, so will try to get some footage then

1 week later
#92 8 years ago

Great to hear PoMC, I didnt get around to shoot a good video yet but the game is up and running and moved from the "repair room" and into the playing area, and so far it looks and plays great. My first impression was actually that it felt slightly like playing Stern ST when I tried it the first time, mainly in how the balls floats/rolls/feels over the playfield. But that is probably just because of the thorough cleaning/waxing and new rubbers.

I understand though, why many people might dislike this game if they cant hit the ramp shots, because the ball is clunking around alot if you miss. But I love the theme, the challenge, have been waiting for an x-files for a year-ish, and it feels brand new so I am determined to learn those ramps and also looking forward to play through the whole game.

We are using it in our Oslo Pinball Club tournament tomorrow, will be interesting to see how it goes.
anyways, will post a good video soon. Planning on doing a papa-style video soon also to really show the gameplay, as there is no such video online.

Looking forward to your mod ideas! I was thinking about putting a strong led inside flukeman, to see if the plastic is thin enough to give it a cool green/yellow glow from the inside..anyone tested this?

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

For the alien tube, I was thinking wiring up the circle LED to GI and put whites in the existing sockets that go off with super pops. So you will have a cool constant color, but then have it flash when it's supposed to.

I wired the led ring to the 555 bulb inside the flask, I think it will take away from the effect if the flask is lit all the time. Now, it REALLY pops (pun..) when you get super pops. A shame the super pops is only lasting for a short time, I initially thought it would be on for the rest of the ball.

1 month later
#94 8 years ago

Getting closer to "perfecting" this machine, finished the DIY backbox led kit from http://www.superfluxshop.de/. It was abit more work than I thought, since I had to sketch up where to have the led strips and flasher strips myself, drill holes, solder on wires between everything, but at least looks much better than fluorescent tube, and can also adjust the brightness.

Sorry for the low quality photos.

xf_backbox1.jpgxf_backbox1.jpg

xf_backbox_2.jpgxf_backbox_2.jpg

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

I was thinking about putting a strong led inside flukeman, to see if the plastic is thin enough to give it a cool green/yellow glow from the inside..anyone tested this?

To quote myself... A bright led inside flukeman did not work, was too thick plastic. Ended up buying some spotlights and soldering the lamp to a GI circuit. Tested different leds, currently have the one in the attached photo. Im very careful about not going over the top color-wise, but this makes flukemanr eally creepy. Also tried with different colors; white, sunlight, yellow, purple. Guess Ill swap it out when I get tired of him being green

xf_fluke.jpgxf_fluke.jpg

#98 8 years ago

Feel free to post some photos of it

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from Stal8080:

So there is actually a bulb somewhere inside of the Flukeman???? Mine might be out because I never noticed it....what size bulb???

haha no, its not, I just soldered on a bulbbase and wires and tried it No luck.

Quoted from Stal8080:

So can you just remove the flask by itself or do you need to remove anything else. I tried with the screws on top first but no luck...to nervous to proceed without further researching.

I had taken off all ramps and everything to top shop it, but of what I recall there is only a couple of screws that you need to take out. there is a wire harness going into the flask but im sure you can pull it out a little. Was abit more PITA to get the alien screwed back together but aboslutely doable

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Maybe I installed the spotlight that shines on Flukeman? I can't remember if the light was there or not. Either was, just a regular #555 incandescent bulb.

I think he misunderstood because I maybe confusingly wrote I tried a bulb inside flukeman =) Which was purely custom

#104 8 years ago

replied to your PM now, billsfanmd

1 week later
#106 8 years ago

So i tried to take a photo without unscrewing the cannister (didnt have time), but maybe this gives you some answers?

I seem to recall that the ring is actually held in place by the bulbs.

alien_led_ring1.jpgalien_led_ring1.jpg

1 month later
#111 8 years ago

Unfortunately no, no stacking possibilities. I used to go for modes and truth ,ultiball, but one of those who got the grand champion and hi scores in our pinball club, just went for Mulder multiball all the way.

I love the game, but I would also like to P-roc some changes into the code, would be awesome to be able to stack mb's and modes in this game

#112 8 years ago

Finally brought out my video camera and thought id shoot a quick and (skill lacking) gameplay video, primarily just to show off some of the LED mods I have done and how it looks when playing. Will post a PAPA style gameplay video later when I have the proper equipment.
Hope it can be of amusement to some other sega x-filers who either are in the club or are considering joining.

Again: It is a HARD game if you dont really practice the aim =)

1 week later
#117 8 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

What is everyone's high scores? I've had the game for a week and really dig it. Looking into putting in a second speaker soon.
LEDs in the alien above look great!

drspite it being my own game, i am struggling getting over 10 millions. It is set on extra hard, tournament mode and no extra ball.

1 week later
#119 8 years ago

Had X-Files in our monthly tournament in oslo pinball club on friday, I must say it is a great tournament machine! it has naturally relatively short ball times, and it is also very balanced in the scoring! Will absolutely include this more often in our tournaments

sigx.jpgsigx.jpg

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

My high score might have been close to 60 million

I was about to say "what the fuck", but then I read that you have enabled extra balls which makes it slightly more possible to get some more chances. Played x-files for an hour this evening, never got to the fourth mode or over 9 millions. I have it on extra hard settings, no extra ball etc so guess Im just tormenting myself -_-

But I have to practice more to get the FBI shot/ramp into my fingers, so i can hit it every time. Will require some long hours

Grats on the almost 60 mills!

1 week later
#133 8 years ago

Why would you play without tilt? Wheres the challenge in moving the game indefinently and saving every ball?

#136 8 years ago

Nope, havent had any issued with those lamps. But have issues with the bulbs on top of cabinet jumping out of their bulb sockets, and also the lamp near the left ramp being "turned" so that it blocks ball in the ramp

#140 8 years ago

Hmm yeah might be the same as mine haha, it just looked so smooth

#141 8 years ago

So, just droddling a little bit about different strategies, especially for tournament play.
The most obvious and most used one is choose Mulder, dare/not dare to raise the his jackpot value with right standups, then start multiball and shoot the ramps and cabinet for SJ, repeat.

After trying this myself I know I have a real issue with hitting the left ramp consistently, and although I usually backhand the right ramp, while in multiball It never works So, while it sa big earner points-wise if you can repeat the above some times, it is almost wasted if you dont cash in some double jackpots and super jackpots.

So I have tried another strategy, which I will explore further on friday:
1.Choose Scully
2. Shoot the left orbit to get into bumpers, work towards Super pops and that also build up the bonus to 2x,4x etc.
3. While sometimes missing the orbit you hit scully targets to raise jackpots to 300 - 400 K.(these targets is what makes up eob-bonus)
4. After super pops, and hopefully getting some points from that, shoot for tooms, which will earn you roughly 800 k.
5. While going for tooms and orbits, the idea is to build towards scully mb by shooting x's, so this should be starting mb shortly after the above. Maybe get 1-2 millions in Truth.
6. After this go for some modes and try get to Terma, and dont loose the ball when you just have started it.

After this, either build up more super pops and some modes, or tr for truth mb again.

This is basically my new strategy to try. Any thoughts?
Our machine is on Extra hard and is really challenging, so the total average score in our last tournament was on 3,8 million.
Thats why I am thinking that the above strategy might be just as good, although its a longer path to the points.

#143 8 years ago

Yeah in tournament mode which my machine is set up with, the order is the same.
Colony, Talitha cum(i), Terma..and after that i have yet to discover

#146 8 years ago

Though mine is not for sale, it is great to see interest in aquiring an x-files

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

I know the game get a bad rap, but I played it for the first time at PAGG in May and really liked the game. I suppose it help we loved the show, but in the end it was just fun to us. I have a nice solid lead on what appears to be a HUO game. Shipping will kill any deal to be had, but sometimes we do crazy things in this hobby...
I'm excited to possibly land this game and use it as a tournament game at our next party!

Its a GREAT tournament game. We have in our tournament tomorrow, at Oslo Pinball Club, and also had it last month. There is noe "one shot" gives you 90 % more score than something else, and no "repeat this ramp x times for multiplied score". It is very balanced. And difficult. But if you get an X-Files that is in good shape, or if you put it back in shape yourself its a winner!

3 weeks later
#150 8 years ago

Finally got started on my badge mod operation. Almost done, just need some help from you guys for the last part: Piggybacking of the badge lights. I have 2 red/black wire going from a 555 bulb behind the badge in the back, but..how do I connect this one to the idc-base that holds the .555 under the playfield badge? :s

first I thought it would be to lugs, and just solder onto them, but no... See attached photos.
Also, the photos of the whole process will come in the posts below.

26.jpg26.jpg

27.jpg27.jpg

#151 8 years ago

1. So, The plate was quite easily "unscrewed", and came off.
2. Then I cut a papir in th desired size to cut behind the badges. Careful not to cut to close to the screw holes.
3. Remove the badges by unscrewing the scews, easy peasy. Then draw an outline around the paper template.

02.jpg02.jpg
04.jpg04.jpg
05.jpg05.jpg
06.jpg06.jpg
07.jpg07.jpg
08.jpg08.jpg

#152 8 years ago

1.When both outlines are done, we used a fein saw to saw out the holes. Fantastic tool!

09.jpg09.jpg

10.jpg10.jpg

11.jpg11.jpg

12.jpg12.jpg

13.jpg13.jpg

15.jpg15.jpg

16.jpg16.jpg

#153 8 years ago

1. I touched up some parts where the saw made some marks, but most of it is under the badges anyway.
2. Then fasten the badges on the front, and on the back I screwed on a .555 base I bought form pinballcenter.
3. Solder on a wire on each lug, be sure to make it long enough to reach the playfield-badge bulb. Better safe than sorry.
4. Then reattach the plate while having the playfield resting on the backbox.
5. And the last challenge is what I wrote in some posts above; how to piggyback on the badge bulb under playfield.HELP

17.jpg17.jpg

18.jpg18.jpg

20.jpg20.jpg

21.jpg21.jpg

22.jpg22.jpg

23.jpg23.jpg

24.jpg24.jpg

3 weeks later
#155 8 years ago

Havent come around to the final operation; Add diode to the new bulb bases and then piggyback the wires of the playfield badges. Will hope fully. Meanwhile I finally got to install the illuminated flipperbuttons! I ordered a kit from pinball center which is strangely lacking of any guide. I got a very short description and with the help of some cleverly drawn paint-images, managed to sort out how to hook it up. Will take some photos of the actual wiring soon, but here is the result:

xfbutton2.jpgxfbutton2.jpg
xfbutton1.jpgxfbutton1.jpg

#157 8 years ago

Welcome! Is it a probect you have bought or a pay and play, so to say?

2 weeks later
#162 8 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Dig the lit buttons!

Thanks, it turned out very nice. Its not too flashy and gives a nice look.

4 weeks later
#169 8 years ago

Looking forward to see it later today!

#173 8 years ago

Hmmmmmmmm I actually think they look quite cool. Done them yourself?

#175 8 years ago

Yeah that aint gonna happen, for that price ill stick with the original hehe. Besides....I dont fancy to remove those ramps again to reach the bumpers... :/

3 weeks later
#180 8 years ago

Just a double post for the old and new club readers:

I finally managed to get the FBI badle ligth mod working today!

It was not perhaps the extreme effect i was imagining, I have a flexible strong white bulb begind the badges, will try with a white LED strip around on the inside behind the badge. Maybe Ill even try to build the badges a centimeter or two out from the panel to get more spread of light. Anyways Some pictures and also some videos I uploaded can be found below:

Scully mode:

Ball is drained light show:

xfiles_badge_scotchlok_(resized).jpgxfiles_badge_scotchlok_(resized).jpg
xfiles_bulb_diode_wiring_(resized).jpgxfiles_bulb_diode_wiring_(resized).jpg
xfiles_scully_badge_lit_(resized).jpgxfiles_scully_badge_lit_(resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#185 8 years ago

Oh damn those were ugly. I havent come across any panels worth having yet..

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Looking for any other ideas for improvements. I want the bumper flasher to really go off, also looking to improve on the FBI-popup/tunnel lighting, and the big X.

On the top of this page you can see my xfiles back panel badge mod, also in mine i have a blue led strip in the fbi hole, looks great! Added a spotlight on the fluke man, and added a led strip in the top of the alien cannister. Led backbox kit, speaker light kit and pinball pro speakers+woofer. The x is default green but i like the blue leds in it better, gives it a colder look.

#191 8 years ago

A short video of my machine can be seen here:

Its before the badge mod and dont remember if i got super pops so you see the cool led ring lightning.

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Is anyone working on colorized DMD for this? I might look into one of the homebrew solutions and do it myself, but curious if anything is already out there or already working on this?

I have thought of the same and sent an email to colorDMD and asked if they have some sort of quick start guide for coloring a game, like how to get started with software etc. If so i could be interested in giving it a try. But havent got a reply...

4 weeks later
#203 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Because of the value as far as $/fun, I gave X-Files my vote as my top find when asked in this thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-type-of-pinhead-are-you#post-3094613
Has anyone else thought of TOM when playing X-Files? Maybe it's more because I had played that one recently when I got my X-Files, but it definitely has a few similar feeling features: the inner loop, and the trap door in front of the ramp.
After I upgrade the speakers, the multi-ball audio effects also reminded me of an upgraded-audio Tommy and the mirror shattering effect. It has those similar crisp clanking-type audio effects.
I'm really enjoying my X-Files!

hehe yeah It has quite some similarities with TOM. Someone called it a "poor mans TOM" but I dont agree with that.
Good to hear you are enjoying it, always nice to see more xfiles owners and more posts in this club

2 weeks later
#212 7 years ago

I have upgraded the speakers to pinball pro + sub, but havent installed the components on the cpu board yet...

3 weeks later
#236 7 years ago

We are having my X-Files as one of the games in our monthly tournament this evening, looking forward to it!
As mentioned before, it is a great balanced game for tournaments, no easy points. everything must be earned

#256 7 years ago

Xfiles was one of the games in our tournament final this friday, and it was filmed! When the movie is edited and put online i will post a link here if it is of any interest. Seeing how some good players are tackling those tight ramps ☺

#263 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Actually, if one master the ID4 ramps, I guess one can master any other pin ramps!
PS: That's why I love SEGA's!

I would disagree that ID4's ramps are tighter than X-files

#264 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

All right, just give me a few more days.... Meanwhile, what do you guys think about that?

In my opinion that cabinet artwork is not looking good..too vibrant, too photoshop-ish, but then again i prefer art a little bit more subtle.

I have been thinking about what I could paint on the backpanel around the badges, but havent settled on anything yet.
My best alternative until now is having airbrushed something in the style of this or something:

x-files-revival_(resized).jpgx-files-revival_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#268 7 years ago

Alright, here is a video from the finals in our monthly tournament in May, on the X-Files:

No extraordinary playing, but you get to see my machine in action at least, with leds and everything.

A crash course in Norwegian: "Fitte" means pussy/cunt

2 weeks later
#283 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

A topper would be nice. I'm messing with some inner blade art concepts (not my art, just re-manipulations of stuff I found elsewhere)

I like the feeling i get from the two middle ones, with the forest. Something down that path could be cool.

#290 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I was thinking keep them different on each side for some reason. Just messing around really.

Yeah I would not buy them just like that, but I meant that I preferred the middle style rather than the "too bright ufo thingy"

1 month later
#306 7 years ago
Quoted from Evilive69:

I installed the kit from led speaker kits. Email him before you order and let him know it's for X Files. He had me order one for Twister and put a note that it needs hardware for X Files. You do not need to order the Sega power cable, there is one already in the pin. You do have to drill out the speaker cover on the right side, and install a speaker because there isn't one. It sounds way more complicated than it is. If you go that route and need pictures I can send you some.

I did this also for my xfiles. sounded scary, but was some hours work at max. I bought pinball pro speakers and aded them in the same operation.

I also have some pictures of needed well worth it.

#308 7 years ago

With the stereo mod you mean soldering all the components on the cpu board for the third speaker?

Yes and no. With pinball pro speakers and sub, the music gets more depth and immersive, but I havent soldered on the third speaker components (although i have have the kit, just havent gotten around to it yet). So from what Ive read it is still mono (?), but dont know how much of the music and sound are stereo from the core samples?

I think its a great improvement with only the pinball pro speakers, the sound and music is more balanced naturally. and the subwoofer really adds to the bass especially on mode music as terma etc, and most important: The super pops arpeggiator sounds

4 weeks later
#325 7 years ago

I believe the first/lowest set of optos must be aligned for truth to hold a ball with the magnet. Mine stopped doing it and it was because the opto pair was misaligned ☺

1 month later
#351 7 years ago

The ball stopping in left outlane is prob due to either the game being too less steep, or the switch is too high. Or both ☺

1 week later
#356 7 years ago

Wow, was trying to figure out a new tournament strategy on my X-Files yesterday, and ended up playing for 20-30 minutes. Racked up 19 millions which is not that high, but our game is set up really hard, and the worst was that I finished all modes, and thought the wizard mode would either start right away or I had to hit the sewer, but.... no, I have to lite FBI and then hit the sewer. I think my nerves hit in and managed to drain that last ball after hitting FBI one time.

But, really fun and challenging round, eager to get back and nail that m********r

20161108_204730 (resized).jpg20161108_204730 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#373 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

It seems to be about the average price right now.
This game is so tough. I still have not completed all of the episodes during a single game or triggered a wizard mode. I've finished The Truth multi ball with over 4,500,000 for a personal best, and on the regular multi ball my personal best was hitting super jackpot 3 times during one. I can get past 6-7 episodes, plus a trivia or two, but still haven't gotten further. Currently have a 41,000,000+ high score on here.
Has anyone ever completed all of the episode modes and gotten to the alleged wizard mode at the end?

lol no, I was two fbi ramp hits away from starting wizard mode. That was quite fucked up.

#376 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Oh no! That would kill me. I was probably through a good 7 episodes earlier today, I figured I had one left maybe, either way I was crushed because it's tough getting through that many I think.

I've still never seen official rules or documentation or evidence this even exists. Lots of people talk about it as if it does and I'm not saying they're wrong, I just never see any conclusive info other than random comments.

Yeah it is 9 x-files/modes (IIRC) and the tenth will be blood. If you hold both flipperbuttons you can see on the status screen how many files remain til blood.

#386 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Holy cow blood mode exists and it is awesome!!! Just went down for a game after all the recent posts here got me thinking about my game more. Did that, made it back around another 6 episodes, had a few multi balls but no super jackpot on any of them but I also had a truth multi ball that netted over 10,000,000 alone! Killer game!

Without extra balls? :O

#389 7 years ago

Gratz!
I thought I saw the status screen thingy for remaining modes in this thread, but it might have been somewhere else
really strange they just did not add inserts for each mode, since it has alrady borrowed stuff from ToM =)

3 weeks later
#410 7 years ago

My X-files have been going strong for a long time, but a month ago the inner optos for the file cabinet stopped working. I tried adjusting the optos and see where they made contact, but it didnt really work, I got a switch hit once but impossible to get it in perfect alignment when tightening the left board (left from front view).

has anyone else had problems with this? I suspect the opto board has become a little warped, so pondering if I should just buy a new set of optos.

#412 7 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Try shimming it with a nylon washer or 2 that should do the trick I had this problem on mine and it worked.

Shimming? You mean you put a nylon washer between the opto and the bracket, and let the screw go though?

2 weeks later
#423 7 years ago

If by any chance someone should have a Magnet Bracket (515-6645-01) extra I would like to buy it
It seems it was very game specific since I cant find it in any webshop.

2 weeks later
#427 7 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

My X-files have been going strong for a long time, but a month ago the inner optos for the file cabinet stopped working. I tried adjusting the optos and see where they made contact, but it didnt really work, I got a switch hit once but impossible to get it in perfect alignment when tightening the left board (left from front view).
has anyone else had problems with this? I suspect the opto board has become a little warped, so pondering if I should just buy a new set of optos.

SOLVED!!
The problem was actually the opto transmitter "bulb", it was worn out. IF it was kept some centimeters apart it worked, but in normal position no reaction. Replaced the opto with a new much stronger one, and now it works like a charm.

#428 7 years ago

Does anyone know the correct flipper button cabinet switch to use in X-files?
My switches work but on the right side one of the "contact" points are basically gone so it feels slightly different, albeit strong enough.

I ordered this one: http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/electronics-parts/switches/2254/cabinet-switch-williams-tungsten
but that switch is much "softer" and really screwed all the strength. I also now see it is a williams tungsten, dont know why i tried that one though.

1 week later
#433 7 years ago
Quoted from Evilive69:

I exchanged pm's with ChadH about updating a Sega game, either Lost In Space or X Files, and he said he was interested but would need access to a game for a while. Knowing its a 12 hour drive each way I kind of left it at that.

Would be really awesome with a rule makeover on that game!
Just thinking about being able to stack some modes with multiball, also amping up the value and importance of the side targets. Now they are dangerous as hell with little gain.

That said, I think the game is extremely well balanced for tournament play as it is
It just has so much potential code wise to be an even deeper game. Althought, two multiballs, a video-mash-button mode, 9 modes, super pops, loop hurry-ups, is already quite good for a Sega game actually

#435 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Technically there's 3 multiballs - the Truth multiball, the Cabinet multiball, then Blood Mode multiball if you get all of the episodes at least started. Plus at least one of the modes is a 2 ball multiball. It's definitely a pretty sweet game as is, but ChadH really made Tales from the Crypt better in a lot of ways so a code update by him would probably be well received on this game.

Right, intentionally did not count in blood as it is wizard mode (and ive never seen it ) but forgot the 2-ball mode. Our xfiles is on torunament settings so rarely get to that mode

Well, if Chad had lived in Oslo,Norway Id lend him my machine

#436 7 years ago

Abit inspired by these thoughts, I started sketching some ideas for new and enhanced rules. Feel free to chime in with something, but if Chad at a time would have the means to do something maybe he could get some ideas from this.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xhZZAKlaK5ffAis5uKQYWwNCmtzsLtXjK1b2hAHChMY/edit?usp=sharing

I feel the modes in them selves are quite good and balanced, maybe add possibility to extend timers, but I started focusing on making the ramps and the stand up targets more lucrative to hit.

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from Scorch:

I wanted to share with everyone my latest mod. It's a 5" screen attached to a raspberry pi and some speakers. I have it set to loop video of an alien autopsy which is a pretty awesome effect. I have a USB hookup in the backbox which allows me to change what is played. I had tried playing random episodes of the x-files, but they are typically filmed very dark, and with the small screen, and other LED's around it, you really can't see what's going on. The black and white of this autopsy film just works great.
» YouTube video

Thats cool!
Any chance you could post some instructions on how you achieved it, step by step sortof?
As mentioned in another x-files thread regarding a way to visualize what modes have been completed, if it was possible to find the cues for the modes then I assume this could be tied in with specific episode footage when the specific modes are active?

#444 7 years ago
Quoted from h_flex:

Is there something wrong with my software? I can only set the tilt warnings to either 0, 1, or 3 not the standard 2.
It says it should be possible in the manual, but I can't figure it out.

Yeah I seem to recall in one of the tournament settings, it is set to 2. but I seem to remember that it is abit misinforming, that 3 will give tilt on 3 tilt warnings or something. i can check it next time Im at our club.

3 weeks later
1 week later
#465 7 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

X files is hot
New cabinet decals available
New season
What's next ??
New edition pinball coming ?

Haha doubt it. But if one of you xfiles can loan one of your machines to Chad, we would get a better xfiles, almost as new!

Get your fingers out!

1 month later
#490 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'll elaborate a bit: by looking under the playfield, you can see which bulbs are mounted horizontally. For those you'll either need a bulb with good diffusion or a flex head that can point at the insert. Frosted bulbs can work alright in that situation too, but personally, I don't care for the foggy look of frosted bulbs for inserts. I generally only use those for GI / backbox. For bulbs pointing straight at the insert, I prefer the 4-smd best, especially for bigger inserts, but the 1-smd 5050 is almost as good.

I usually order the LED chart for the specific game at pinball.center, and then I go through them all manually and count and decide what type of bulb and color i want. More work, but it gets better in the end than buying game specific LED kits. Too much color GI.

#492 6 years ago

Btw..shit, "finally" my file cabinet started cracking open
I see the new replacement is out of stock at Marco..scheisse.

1 week later
#495 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Rules question: It seems like the difference between choosing Mulder or Scully at the start is that for Mulder, you need less shots to start the cabinet MB, and for Scully, you have more X shots spotted to start the Truth MB. Is that right? Also, I believe the lit X return lanes lights another X on the main playfield to help you get closer to the Truth MB. Is that right as well? Finally, how do you light the X in the return lanes?

yes yes yes and yes.

Hmm I dont think there is a way to lite X in the return lanes, i seem to recall they happen to be lit whenever the ball rolls down a ramp towards it? Hmm.

#498 6 years ago

Who on pinside was it that made the new File cabinet mold that was sold on Marco, anyone remember?

1 week later
#514 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Had some people over last night and we played a four player game. The DMD showed six scores, and it took a while to realize that it had us playing in teams with players 1 and 3 scores showing with a total combined score; the same with players 2 and 4. I couldn't find a setting to turn team play on and off. Is this just the default when four or more people play? Is there a setting?

Not as I know, its just a Sega thing But yeah, it might be confusiong at first.

1 week later
#520 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Well, I figured this out on my own today. Just in case anyone needs to try this themselves, it is very easy getting the file cabinet out of the game. There are 3 connectors under the playfield, all within easy reach, that need to be detached. Then, there are about 6 bolts to unscrew if I remember correctly. The hard part for me came in removing the plastic skin from the filing cabinet. I really had to pry it off after removing the screws, and I was afraid I was going to create another crack. Fortunately, it held up, as it is fairly flexible. I think over time the skin developed a suction like grip around the filing cabinet assembly, but I got it off.
I then used a Bondo fiberglass and resin kit. You mix the resin with hardener, brush it on to the other side of the skin, apply some fiberglass, brush on more resin, and repeat a few times. You can get the kit off of Amazon. It is not too expensive and easy to use. It takes two hours to cure. Luckily, the skin fit easily back over the filing cabinet. It seems much more solid now and really reinforced the crack that had developed. Time will tell whether it will stand up to the constant pounding of the ball, but I think it will (knock on wood).
One thing I noticed when I took the file cabinet out is that I was missing one of the screws that held the skin onto the assembly. That let the bottom portion of the skin move back and forth some and not rest firmly against the metal of the assembly. I'm not sure if that contributed to the crack, but I replaced the screw so everything is tight together now.

Mine has gotten a crack too, but i just ordered a new replacement cabinet, marco got them in stock now again

#522 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Nice to hear. If mine ever gets worse, I may order one, but they're pretty darn expensive. It might be worth reinforcing the back side like I did before you install it.

Yeah its kinda too expensive... but I am gonna play on with the current one til its cracked too much. And then swap, maybe ill reinforce it too as u mention

2 weeks later
#533 6 years ago

Three left ramp shots starts tooms. After the next three shots (i think it is three), extra ball is lit. So six left ramp shots should lite it.

In tournament mode extra ball awards 500 k

#537 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks. And, I assume the extra ball for doing crappy on the first two balls is normal too?

Yeah most probably

#544 6 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

Thanks! Now I am putting game back together. Ramps are going on last so I can confirm I like the LEDs, seeing how you can't change them from bottom.

Is that NOS platfield swap?

3 weeks later
1 week later
#557 6 years ago

Welcome! It is a relative hard game if you miss the ramps, but it has plenty of modes, simple but funny animations and the best super pops sound ive ever heard (not necessarily the audio quality but the sound itself )

2 months later
#576 6 years ago

I believe I have an x-files cpu board with a big amount of alcaline damage, I had to buy another for my x-files. So it is probably of no use though...

3 months later
#590 6 years ago

Is there really any difference between repro or original?

4 weeks later
#593 6 years ago

I can measure when im at our club. If i remember

3 weeks later
#621 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Guys, who has the backboard modded with a nice decal such as this one? And most importantly, where can I buy one too?

If i recall the art is from backpanel of medieval madness. It was a custom job so dont think anyone is selling a "finished" piece. I have only cut out holes behind the badges, wired up lights behind and wired it to the badge lights on the playfield.

4 months later
#631 5 years ago

I did for my X-files. Its good.

6 months later
#675 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I may be getting an X files soon and I have a couple of questions.
1. Which speaker led kit would work?
2. Where could I black speaker grills? (This one for some reason has green).
3. Is this speaker kit just plug and play? If not what should I do? (https://flipperfidelity.com/sound/sega-data-east-speaker-systems/sega-showcase-8.html)
4. Does the black cover over the magnet weaken the strength of it?
How hard is it to put a led pop bumper ring in the alien tube?
5. How could I add illumination under the pop up scoop?
Thanks!

I did many of these things, but its several years ago and the game is sold, but from what I remember:

1. I bought a speaker led kit from http://speakerlightkits.com/, BUT, since X-files is a showcase back box (curved), it is quite alot of hazzlw getting this done. I have detailed email conversation with Doug on how to make this, but there is lots of manual stuff compared to normal which you just screw out, pop in, screw on.

3. I bought a Pinball Pro Speaker set, I think it was quite ok to install, I think the difficult part was the speaker LED kit as mentioned above. My memory might fail, but I believe so.

4. I put a LEd pop bumper ring in my tube, it is not that difficult in itself, its just very finnicky with screwing lose the alien baby and fastening it. But absolutely doable.

5. You just attach a small led strip to the inside of the Scoop. I was sceptic if the ball would damage it, but it never was a problem.

2 months later
#705 4 years ago
Quoted from Evilive69:

I finally got some time to finish up the code. I wanted the colors and effects to be as random as possible so it took a little longer than I anticipated. Disregard the horrible game play, its hard to stand behind a tripod and try to play without bumping the camera. The first 30 seconds show off the stadium style lights, the LED effects are triggered based on which playfield lights are lit. After that the ramps effects kick in during attract mode.

You make me miss selling my X-Files. I loved the game. Still do. Will probably get it again at a time.

1 year later
#830 3 years ago

Digging in for a potential code rewrite ChadH ?

#840 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Yes!
Feel free to send any suggestions my way.

I actually starting doing this several years ago (just some rules droddling), I wrote some stuff, I think this link to Gdrive should be public:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xhZZAKlaK5ffAis5uKQYWwNCmtzsLtXjK1b2hAHChMY/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to use something if it inspires something.

2 months later
#856 3 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I had to throw some sticky foam padding up in there to help calm it down, it only does it 1 out of 100x now instead of 1 out of 10 or less. It should also help protect the welds & shape of the metal guide it launches out of from the VUK.

Same, put in some sticky foam inside the vuk on the inner topside

2 years later
#1023 1 year ago

ChadH I dont know to what depth you plan to go with a rewrite, but I remember I sketched down the start of some ideas for an eventual update several years ago. Not much, but if you want to have a look and feel something might be cool, my document is here:

7 months later
#1136 5 months ago

Hooly crappety crap, I just became the owner of an X-Files AGAIN! I ragesold my heavily modded game in 2016, and been missing it after the rage calmed down. Finally picked one with MINT playfield condition, for 2200 usd. Cabinet is abit worn, but the pf is so niceee.

Misses the sub, and optos in front of file cabinet arent working, but got new on the way. Gonna have fun prepping this up new code is on its way.

I wonder, does anyone know if the pin2dmd colorization is compatible with the new code from @Chad?

20231108_163259 (resized).jpg20231108_163259 (resized).jpg20231108_163305 (resized).jpg20231108_163305 (resized).jpg20231108_163308 (resized).jpg20231108_163308 (resized).jpg20231108_163326 (resized).jpg20231108_163326 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1138 5 months ago

I brought my "new", and second I have owned, to our club and set it up today for some initial inspection.
Thought Id post some photos. The cabinet is worn, abit sun bleaked and not very beautiful.

Else the playfield is looking very nice, it has a 2mm wear at the magnet area which i will cover with mylar, and the lowest part of the file cabinet is showing some signs of cracking. I might replace it.

The backbox lacks locks on the side, but the cards look decent without any obvious damage, the battery holder has no battery and I have a NVRAM coming.

The magnet is not working, but I did not get to check the under pf fuse. The F20 fuse was blown so i replaced it.
The optos are not triggering in switch test, but I already have some replacement optos on the way so will troubleshoot it further when it arrives.

Else most things seems to be good, the playfield looks very good besides the 2 mm magnet wear, and I look forward to doing a full cleaning, changing rubbers, leds and adding some cool mods as I did with my former x-Files.

20231116_203240 (resized).jpg20231116_203240 (resized).jpg20231116_203253 (resized).jpg20231116_203253 (resized).jpg20231116_210301 (resized).jpg20231116_210301 (resized).jpg20231116_213838 (resized).jpg20231116_213838 (resized).jpg20231116_213841 (resized).jpg20231116_213841 (resized).jpg20231116_213843 (resized).jpg20231116_213843 (resized).jpg20231116_213845 (resized).jpg20231116_213845 (resized).jpg20231116_213849 (resized).jpg20231116_213849 (resized).jpg20231116_213853 (resized).jpg20231116_213853 (resized).jpg20231116_223313 (resized).jpg20231116_223313 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#1144 87 days ago

ChadH I have been starting to try out your new code, as I finally got my X files up and running. is there any way to turn off or shorten the ball save in this code? For tournaments etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Edenecho.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-and-rules-to-x-files?tu=Edenecho and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.