20231116_213838 (resized).jpg
20231116_203253 (resized).jpg
20231116_210301 (resized).jpg
20231116_203240 (resized).jpg
20231108_163259 (resized).jpg
20231108_163305 (resized).jpg
20231108_163308 (resized).jpg
20231108_163326 (resized).jpg
There are 1,149 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 23.
#251 7 years ago

Well here is one concept I've been thinking about for blades... A Mulder side and a Scully side. Don't judge the image I just threw this together to see if it would work and I think it could be cool. I also think the back wall needs some love. so i'm thinking the showing the badge image and move the plastic badges to fit the image and maybe back light them.

blades2_(resized).jpgblades2_(resized).jpg

#252 7 years ago

I definitely like the idea of a Mulder and Skully side, also not a bad example at all. Definitely a cool concept and great start. Nice you're including the center panel into the design also.

#253 7 years ago

did anyone replace the decals on the cabinet? Unfortunately cant find any (original) replacements for that (something to do with copyright)

Mine decals are damaged so changing them would be a huge improvement!

#254 7 years ago
Quoted from sandeman:

did anyone replace the decals on the cabinet? Unfortunately cant find any (original) replacements for that (something to do with copyright)
Mine decals are damaged so changing them would be a huge improvement!

Mine will be changed (repros)... I'll check how much would cost to send abroad....

#255 7 years ago

Jim5six

I like it...especially the idea of a Sully side and a Mulder Side. I've never been a fan of having the actor's faces on them though. I believe the images associated with them are more effective and better stand the test of time.

#256 7 years ago

Xfiles was one of the games in our tournament final this friday, and it was filmed! When the movie is edited and put online i will post a link here if it is of any interest. Seeing how some good players are tackling those tight ramps ☺

#257 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Mine will be changed (repros)... I'll check how much would cost to send abroad....

That would be great, thanks.

#258 7 years ago

one of you guys have a spare plastic to sell / share?

its the one left of the file cabinet, not the "large" Magnet Shield Plastic but the one with the honeycomb-look.

But if you have the Magnet Shield Plastic available for me that would help me out much also. Likely only to order for $ 12.00but shppingcosts of $ 44.00is just plain crazy..

img_3554_(resized).jpgimg_3554_(resized).jpg

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from sandeman:

That would be great, thanks.

All right, just give me a few more days.... Meanwhile, what do you guys think about that?

custom-cabinet-decals-x-files_(resized).jpgcustom-cabinet-decals-x-files_(resized).jpg

#260 7 years ago
Quoted from sandeman:

one of you guys have a spare plastic to sell / share?
its the one left of the file cabinet, not the "large" Magnet Shield Plastic but the one with the honeycomb-look.
But if you have the Magnet Shield Plastic available for me that would help me out much also. Likely only to order for $ 12.00but shppingcosts of $ 44.00is just plain crazy..

I can get any plastic from XF (reproduction), but the cost will be almost the same, if not, more expensive....

PS: Shipping costs from Brazil are a bitch.

#261 7 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Xfiles was one of the games in our tournament final this friday, and it was filmed! When the movie is edited and put online i will post a link here if it is of any interest. Seeing how some good players are tackling those tight ramps ☺

Actually, if one master the ID4 ramps, I guess one can master any other pin ramps!

PS: That's why I love SEGA's!

#262 7 years ago

Just curious if anyone has put a shaker motor in X-Files. I know there is a DE/Sega/Stern shaker motor board but I am not sure if it requires the game code to support the shaker. And since X-Files didn't come with a shaker I doubt there is game code for it.

#263 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Actually, if one master the ID4 ramps, I guess one can master any other pin ramps!
PS: That's why I love SEGA's!

I would disagree that ID4's ramps are tighter than X-files

#264 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

All right, just give me a few more days.... Meanwhile, what do you guys think about that?

In my opinion that cabinet artwork is not looking good..too vibrant, too photoshop-ish, but then again i prefer art a little bit more subtle.

I have been thinking about what I could paint on the backpanel around the badges, but havent settled on anything yet.
My best alternative until now is having airbrushed something in the style of this or something:

x-files-revival_(resized).jpgx-files-revival_(resized).jpg

#265 7 years ago

I know there has been much talk about the file cabinet and its availability... I just came across this on Marco today... FYI

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5778-00

-Jim

#266 7 years ago
#267 7 years ago

So.... does anyone know wtf is different on this "neiman marcus limited fucking edition"?

75d9431f725bf36d89a09e89a262165ecefc579c_(resized).jpeg75d9431f725bf36d89a09e89a262165ecefc579c_(resized).jpeg

#268 7 years ago

Alright, here is a video from the finals in our monthly tournament in May, on the X-Files:

No extraordinary playing, but you get to see my machine in action at least, with leds and everything.

A crash course in Norwegian: "Fitte" means pussy/cunt

#269 7 years ago

You guys gotta vote for her

Hillary Clinton wants to open the X-FILES

#270 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

You guys gotta vote for her

I like you, so I'll pretend you didn't just mention that lying, cheating, murderous thug and $hill. She sucks. Would never consider it. Let's get back on track here...

"Well, just remember, boys, this is America - Just because you get more votes doesn't mean you win."

#271 7 years ago

I have a game play question. When you shoot the right ramp the trap door pops open. If you mias the trap door and the ball rolls over it, is the trap door supposed to pop back open?
I thought mine did but after changing some bulbs last night it doesn't anymore. But it will open it on the next ball. Not sure what is supposed to happen.

#272 7 years ago
Quoted from Evilive69:

is the trap door supposed to pop back open?

Yes. If you roll over it or hit it but the ball doesn't go in, it should close long enough to allow the ball to pass over it, and open back up. It should stay open until you drop a ball in there, unless multi ball starts, then it closes until after multi ball I believe.

#273 7 years ago

Hmmm...time to figure out why it doesn't pop back open.

#274 7 years ago
Quoted from Evilive69:

time to figure out why it doesn't pop back open.

I'm gonna take a look at mine and see if anything jumps out at me for you to check and will report back soon. I'm assuming something got knocked loose on yours.

#275 7 years ago

Thanks Sevenrites but I figured it out. The green/black wire on the rolling switch came out of the connecter. Its the real skinny one that loops thru and goes to the subway switch.

By the way...you were dead on about using non-ghosting bulbs instead of the led ocd board. I got 4 smd color matched insert leds, 5 smd green and blue flashers and cool white 4 smd for the gi. I also got britemod ufo led pop bumper lights, they should be here by wednesday. I may have gone overboard but I really like it so far.

#276 7 years ago
Quoted from Evilive69:

By the way...you were dead on about using non-ghosting bulbs instead of the led ocd board

Whoa, awesome! I think I was supposed to send you a pic or video and forgot to get it to you prior... Sorry about that! I even took video & everything for you.

#277 7 years ago

Dude, I was kinda kidding, I'm not into politics, but thank you!

PS: I'd post but.... you know....

#278 7 years ago

Lol, in a totally straight way, simmer down. If you didn't have an X-Files you are actively working on to enhance, I probably wouldn't have even acknowledged you.

Scully: "What if there was only one choice and all the other ones were wrong? And there were signs along the way to pay attention to."

Mulder: "Mmm. And all the choices would then lead to this very moment. One wrong turn, and we wouldn't be sitting here together.

1 week later
#279 7 years ago

My trap door closes when hit and does not open back up. I do not see any wires off. Exactly what do i look at. Thanks

#280 7 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

My trap door closes when hit and does not open back up.

From post 271 above, same issue:

Quoted from Evilive69:

I have a game play question. When you shoot the right ramp the trap door pops open. If you mias the trap door and the ball rolls over it, is the trap door supposed to pop back open?
I thought mine did but after changing some bulbs last night it doesn't anymore. But it will open it on the next ball.

Solution:

Quoted from Evilive69:

I figured it out. The green/black wire on the rolling switch came out of the connecter. Its the real skinny one that loops thru and goes to the subway switch.

Hopefully that helps.

#281 7 years ago

Somebody make a UFO topper!?

I've got mine on location at Video Game Rescue here and it looks damn good in the arcade area!

#282 7 years ago

A topper would be nice. I'm messing with some inner blade art concepts (not my art, just re-manipulations of stuff I found elsewhere)

x-files-blade_(resized).jpgx-files-blade_(resized).jpg

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

A topper would be nice. I'm messing with some inner blade art concepts (not my art, just re-manipulations of stuff I found elsewhere)

I like the feeling i get from the two middle ones, with the forest. Something down that path could be cool.

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

I like the feeling i get from the two middle ones, with the forest. Something down that path could be cool.

+1!

#285 7 years ago

My toppers and keychain ready to go as soon my machine arrives!

77643fd365dec27b11d352c2b0f8a565_(resized).jpg77643fd365dec27b11d352c2b0f8a565_(resized).jpg

#286 7 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

I like the feeling I get from the two middle ones with the forest.

But why are all four of the panels pictured right hand side pieces? You can't make a pair from any of them.

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

But why are all four of the panels pictured right hand side pieces? You can't make a pair from any of them.

Now let me ask.... who would have pinpoited that fact? Mulder or Scully?

#288 7 years ago

I own an X-Files pin and read this entire thread at work today. (shame on me) I loved it and I'm glad to see that some people have the same issue I have with the ball being launched too fast. Tonight I'm going to try to install the under cabinet lighting I received as my fathers day present.

#289 7 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I was thinking keep them different on each side for some reason. Just messing around really.

#290 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I was thinking keep them different on each side for some reason. Just messing around really.

Yeah I would not buy them just like that, but I meant that I preferred the middle style rather than the "too bright ufo thingy"

#291 7 years ago

I think what I wanna do is have the cityscape scene from the one episode fade around into the back board art and then fade into the woodsy UFO scene. Of course, lots of adjustments changes need to be made but that was my initial thought. Maybe I'll scrap it and go for something different. I just think both sides should be different, yet seamed together into one continuous worldly and outer-worldly scene while somehow keeping somewhat consistent with the play field & backbox colors and art.

#292 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I think what I wanna do is have the cityscape scene from the one episode fade around into the back board art and then fade into the woodsy UFO scene. Of course, lots of adjustments changes need to be made but that was my initial thought. Maybe I'll scrap it and go for something different. I just think both sides should be different, yet seamed together into one continuous worldly and outer-worldly scene while somehow keeping somewhat consistent with the play field & backbox colors and art.

I like that idea. Better than mine But you still need a left and a right...

#293 7 years ago

My X Files is clean and led'd. Plus new pop bumper lights, upgraded flipper coils, speakers and led speaker lights.

20160625_111046_(resized).jpg20160625_111046_(resized).jpg
20160625_111054_(resized).jpg20160625_111054_(resized).jpg

#294 7 years ago

#295 7 years ago

Definitely not level of mod you fine gentlemen are achieving but I think it looks really good.

X-Files_(resized).JPGX-Files_(resized).JPG

X-2_(resized).JPGX-2_(resized).JPG

#296 7 years ago

My repro plastics arrived!

2_-_IMG_1678_(resized).JPG2_-_IMG_1678_(resized).JPG

3_-_IMG_1679_(resized).JPG3_-_IMG_1679_(resized).JPG

1 month later
#297 7 years ago

I love to play The X-Files. It's a great game to learn advanced ball control on. People trash the sound, and yes, if you suck at the game and can't break 3 million, the sound is dull, repetitive, and static sounding, but the longer you keep the ball in play, the better the sound gets. I find that I just want to keep the ball in play to enjoy the music. Yes, you have to add a 2nd speaker in the backbox as a minimum sound upgrade. Better yet, get a replacement subwoofer for the cabinet speaker too. The stock cabinet speaker can't handle the low frequency attract mode sequence without serious distortion even at default volume level and the stock Sega backbox speaker is a pitiful joke. Wire the replacement backbox speakers in series, not parallel, to be sure not to overload the amplifier which requires a load of at least 4 ohms. Be sure your cabinet speaker also puts a load of 4 ohms or more on the amp. I think it sounds great on 8 ohm loads and I know the amps will run cool, so that's what I use by using two 4 ohm backbox speakers wired in series and an 8" 8 ohm woofer. You don't need a lot of power if you've got plenty of efficiency. Be sure to check the efficiency rating of any speaker you purchase. You should try to buy very efficient woofers of 87db 1w/1m or higher. The backbox speakers are smaller so efficiency is not as important. An increase of 3db in efficiency is equivalent to doubling the power of your amp. Of course, so is halving the impedance, so you might want to target 4 ohms if you like it loud.

Added over 8 years ago: Strike the 8 ohm subwoofer statement. See later post. Go all out with a car amp and regulated power supply. The stock amplifier is only 14 watts. The X-flies machine will vibrate your whole house with 200W going into a powerful subwoofer. The truth IS out there... and the truth is MORE POWER IS GOOD

#298 7 years ago
Quoted from JeremyON:

I love to play The X-Files. It's a great game to learn advanced ball control on. People trash the sound, and yes, if you suck at the game and can't break 3 million, the sound is dull, repetitive, and static sounding, but the longer you keep the ball in play, the better the sound gets. I find that I just want to keep the ball in play to enjoy the music. Yes, you have to add a 2nd speaker in the backbox as a minimum sound upgrade. Better yet, get a replacement subwoofer for the cabinet speaker too. The stock cabinet speaker can't handle the low frequency attract mode sequence without serious distortion even at default volume level and the stock Sega backbox speaker is a pitiful joke. Wire the replacement backbox speakers in series, not parallel, to be sure not to overload the amplifier which requires a load of at least 4 ohms. Be sure your cabinet speaker also puts a load of 4 ohms or more on the amp. I think it sounds great on 8 ohm loads and I know the amps will run cool, so that's what I use by using two 4 ohm backbox speakers wired in series and an 8" 8 ohm woofer. You don't need a lot of power if you've got plenty of efficiency. Be sure to check the efficiency rating of any speaker you purchase. You should try to buy very efficient woofers of 87db 1w/1m or higher. The backbox speakers are smaller so efficiency is not as important. An increase of 3db in efficiency is equivalent to doubling the power of your amp. Of course, so is halving the impedance, so you might want to target 4 ohms if you like it loud.

I do like it loud... but my wife and my neighbors don't...

220px-Ilil_cover-front_(resized).jpg220px-Ilil_cover-front_(resized).jpg

#299 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

My repro plastics arrived!

Glad you got your plastics Amendes, hope they helped improve your ownership experience!

Quoted from JeremyON:

People trash the sound, and yes, if you suck at the game and can't break 3 million, the sound is dull, repetitive, and static sounding, but the longer you keep the ball in play, the better the sound gets.

I've been going for the truth first and foremost, plus multiplier, and I'll do missions, and multi ball is least preference. Seems like I can score the most points working on those 4 things in that order, getting to the truth is just 5 shots and if you have a good run it's worth several million. Currently sitting at around 41 million with 20 million averages per game. Sound is killer. Plenty of different tracks as you work through the missions, multi ball & truth.

Also, thanks for the detailed write up / specs / tech info on optimizing the sound... I'm just running the Polk 10" sub at the moment, but that alone has made the game pump those hauntingly eerie and captivating sound riffs throughout my house.

#300 7 years ago

I replaced the speakers and sub and have been extremely happy, but I wanted more bass. So I had an idea...use the non-existent 3rd channel as a second input to the sub. I ordered the amp kit from Marco and after 30 minutes of soldering, and referring to the manual so I knew what went where, it is all done. It did exactly what I wanted...doubled the power going to the sub. I have to say I am very happy with the results. It's nowhere near a powered external sub, but it has more bass and was nice pretty inexpensive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 1,149 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-and-rules-to-x-files/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.