20210815_152919 (resized).jpg
B88CFB9A-DFEF-4157-873F-CBE914A39F46 (resized).jpeg
D30B98C8-C079-4333-B311-FDA2A752CE16 (resized).jpeg
7876F821-526A-4D65-A5B5-0A1C39506001 (resized).jpeg
6F16019D-65E6-4364-ACC1-87D818940659 (resized).jpeg
11CBBDE9-A385-49A7-8F65-EDE959546042 (resized).jpeg
09F4AEE7-C5D7-44E6-98C7-F54A799AD97C (resized).jpeg
EC140E90-0265-445B-8161-C677895CFD53 (resized).jpeg

There are 909 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 19.
#201 5 years ago

Cool, thanks for the tips, I'll start there probably. I'll have it in a few hours and will dig into it really good then. I was assuming the RAM was going bad or poor quality, if that's even possible, but that's what it seems like to me, like the game just doesn't have enough power for the CPU processing.

#202 5 years ago

One of the switches in the auto-launch sequence on mine was out, so ball was getting stuck there until fail-safe was activated and coils were fired. When the machine was turned off, several balls could be in the secondary launch "trough", and then when the machine was turned off and later on, it would report "missing balls". Previous operator simply added more balls. When I bought my X-files it had this switch issue and 8-balls in various areas: trough, subways, lol. Removed the extra balls and fixed the switch and everything was great.

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Because of the value as far as $/fun, I gave X-Files my vote as my top find when asked in this thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-type-of-pinhead-are-you#post-3094613
Has anyone else thought of TOM when playing X-Files? Maybe it's more because I had played that one recently when I got my X-Files, but it definitely has a few similar feeling features: the inner loop, and the trap door in front of the ramp.
After I upgrade the speakers, the multi-ball audio effects also reminded me of an upgraded-audio Tommy and the mirror shattering effect. It has those similar crisp clanking-type audio effects.
I'm really enjoying my X-Files!

hehe yeah It has quite some similarities with TOM. Someone called it a "poor mans TOM" but I dont agree with that.
Good to hear you are enjoying it, always nice to see more xfiles owners and more posts in this club

#204 5 years ago

Anyone in for a set of repro plastics from Brazil? A friend of mine is selling those, but only by demand.

That means you've got to, first, pay 50% in order to have your set manufactured, and the remaining value is paid when the set is ready to ship (approximetaly one month after first payment).

The current cost of the complete set is US$ 300.00, shipped worldwide! Separated parts can also be ordered...

Pricey, I know, but in the last couple of months the US dollar has been suffering a major devaluation against the Brazilian currency! Anyone interested, please PM me!

IMG-20160416-WA0000_(resized).jpg

#205 5 years ago

Well my tech came out today and after removing the board and putting it back in, all the GI lighting works and the game boots at full speed now. Stranger things have happened I guess. And as a bonus, the condition of the game got some good compliments from him and they're not easy to come by.

#206 5 years ago

Cleaning out the shop and found these, thought I would offer them here first. Looks like a decal set and slingshot plastics. The decal set looks to be more decals than the ones offered at Marco. Not sure where they came from. Was thinking $50 shipped. Let me know if you have interest. Thanx,

2016-04-17_16.46.15_(resized).jpg

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Cleaning out the shop and found these, thought I would offer them here first. Looks like a decal set and slingshot plastics. The decal set looks to be more decals than the ones offered at Marco. Not sure where they came from. Was thinking $50 shipped. Let me know if you have interest. Thanx,

2016-04-17_16.46.15_(resized).jpg

PM sent!

1 week later
#208 5 years ago

Mine is ready to go on route. Wish it luck!

image_(resized).jpeg

#209 5 years ago

#210 5 years ago

X-Files NOS play field available - ebay.com link: Sega X files Pinball machine NOS playfield very rare

#211 5 years ago

jwwhite15 - I'm interested. PM sent.

Greeting Xfiles Fans. I picked up an xfiles yesterday and spent more time reading about it then shopping it. So far looks to simply have a layer of grime a dust with one small flaw - when you make it in the file door the ball gets "lost" - one solenoid ball find and the game continues (with multi ball). There are no mods, zip, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys have done and creating some new ones. pictures coming soon.

One my list; install components for "stereo sound", ??

#212 5 years ago

I have upgraded the speakers to pinball pro + sub, but havent installed the components on the cpu board yet...

#213 5 years ago

Is the source audio actually stereo? That might make it worth installing the 3rd channel on the board, but I'm assuming it isn't. I just installed an additional speaker on the same channel, still makes a significant difference in the audio.

#214 5 years ago

I'll be dropping a pic of my X-Files here pretty soon... With some extra added accessories to help fill the back of the play field more. Very pleased with the result.

I also took my metal protector that was made to cover the magnet and file cabinet area and just shaped a piece of mylar instead. So the art can be enjoyed and not covered up, but still stays nice and minty fresh like it just came off the press. A flex led bulb in the red insert by the cabinet helps light it up way better since that wedge socket is so tight in there. Blue LED flashers in there look sweet too.

#215 5 years ago

rear-playfield-detail_(resized).jpg

#216 5 years ago

Gorgeous.

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Cleaning out the shop and found these, thought I would offer them here first. Looks like a decal set and slingshot plastics.

Decals are sold and made it to their destination. I still have the sling plastics if anyone is interested. I think $17 shipped. Let me know. Thanx.

1 week later
#218 5 years ago

960_(resized).jpg

#219 5 years ago

If you haven't already hooked up an external subwoofer to this game, it's a must with all the music tracks in my opinion. Really brings the game to life.

I also put on some Stern Flipper Button Metal Guards on, a must have if you don't want wear around the buttons - this place has a pic, but not the best price - http://www.pin-protection.com/index.php/products/product/show/7-stern-flipper-button-protector I found them on GameRoom Guys eBay page for under $20 shipped.

Not sure what's next - probably adding some additional spotlights.

This thread needs more chatter! There's gotta be more than a half dozen X-Files owners here...

#220 5 years ago

Just added a 8" Flipper Fidelity woofer to the cabinet this past weekend and I totally agree. It's a great upgrade.

0510161030_(resized).jpg

Also have 4" Kicker coax speakers in the head and repopulated the right side amplifier.

0510161329b_(resized).jpg

0510161329d_(resized).jpg

Totally worth the upgrade IMHO.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

and repopulated the right side amplifier

Been wanting to do this upgrade myself & add better speakers in the backbox. I just have an external sub at the moment, but would prefer and internal setup, but I still haven't gotten to play a game that has Flipper Fidelity in it to know for sure how good they sound.

#222 5 years ago

New club member here. Picked up an x-files last weekend at Pin-a-go-go and I am so happy with it; been wanting one for a long time. This thread seems pretty quiet... I was wondering how hard it was to add in the bits on the board to get the right channel working? I think I saw a parts list here somewhere... (remember to find that)... I don't see it on the comparability list for PinSound so I assume this is the only option to get stereo sound, right? What are the gotcha's I need to look for on this table, what spare parts should I be on the look out for, what wears out the worst... and whats your favorite part of the game. I think mine is the "manhole" cover scoop.

-Jim

#223 5 years ago

Yeah, SEGA pins clubs at pinside are soooo quiet!

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

What are the gotcha's I need to look for on this table

First one I can think of is if you have no wear at the filing cabinet / magnet, and no metal plate the factory put out to cover it, get mylar in there! I made a template off my metal plate, so if someone needs me to trace it and upload an image, I will.

Speaking of Mylar, the bumpers can get a bit furious, so you may want some in there as well.

Oh, and the metal flipper button guards to protect your cabinet from fingers wearing the artwork off.

#225 5 years ago

I got a new in the box playfield as part of the deal. Both that one and the one in the machine have the metal plate. Its kind of a shame because I like the art of the ball with the electrical field/lightning around it that it covers. anyone got a good picture of that, that could be made into a sticker to cover the metal shield? I am thinking about clear coating the new playfield before I rebuild that machine... Anyone know if the art is there under the metal shield on the repop playfield so maybe I could get the metal off and clear it to protect the art there?

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

I was wondering how hard it was to add in the bits on the board to get the right channel working? ... so I assume this is the only option to get stereo sound, right?

As far as I know, there is no stereo in the source audio, so you wouldn't really gain much over just wiring two decent 4-ohm speakers in series to the existing channel. I found that a big improvement.

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

I was wondering how hard it was to add in the bits on the board to get the right channel working? I think I saw a parts list here somewhere... (remember to find that)...

Here's the article I followed...
http://www.vidiotarcade.com/SegaPins-AddASpeaker.html

And I think there may be one or two sound effects that may be a tiny bit stereo but overall the game seems like it's just mono. I did purchase a "stereo simulator" circuit that I plan to add to the game eventually but for now the speaker upgrades are a huge enough improvement.

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Here's the article I followed...
http://www.vidiotarcade.com/SegaPins-AddASpeaker.html
And I think there may be one or two sound effects that may be a tiny bit stereo but overall the game seems like it's just mono. I did purchase a "stereo simulator" circuit that I plan to add to the game eventually but for now the speaker upgrades are a huge enough improvement.

Thanks, I will check that out.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

As far as I know, there is no stereo in the source audio, so you wouldn't really gain much over just wiring two decent 4-ohm speakers in series to the existing channel. I found that a big improvement.

Thanks, good to know... might not be worth the effort.

#229 5 years ago

A friend and I both purchased X-files on a NIB closeout in 1997. Due to extreme playfield wear above the magnet in front of the cabinet on games in the field we were both shortly thereafter supplied with no-charge kits to prevent this kind of playfield damage on our games. My buddy had an earlier serial number X-files than I did, so his kit consisted of an ugly metal plate to stick on over the area, a clear plastic piece to mount to existing posts and span across the area in front of the cabinet (to prevent airballs from slamming down with force), and a new ROM that reduced the current supplied to the magnet and lessened its damaging effects. My later production game already came with the reduced current ROM, so my kit only had the metal plate and plastic shield pieces. Both of our games have always been HUO and neither of us ever installed the metal plate. We just keep our playfields waxed and watch for any sign of heavy dimpling starting in that area (none so far). If I hadn't seen a very early X-files (made before Sega even new a fix was needed) at Dave & Busters that had the area around the magnet badly worn through to bare wood, I would think the games don't need the kits. In a home-use-only environment maybe just the replacement ROM is enough to reduce the original wild magnet action and avoid playfield damage.

#230 5 years ago

Sounds like a good hard automotive clear coat over the playfield would be good then... here's hoping that art is under the metal on the repop playfield. I will pull it off and see i guess.

thanks for the info littlecammi

-Jim

#231 5 years ago

Man, what a sweet game to have NIB! Thanks for the back story on the magnet protection kit, I always enjoy learning more history of these games. I have the plastic protectors on but didn't use the metal plate, just made a mylar cut to the same shape and keep it super clean.

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

I was wondering how hard it was to add in the bits on the board to get the right channel working? I think I saw a parts list here somewhere... (remember to find that)... I don't see it on the comparability list for PinSound so I assume this is the only option to get stereo sound, right? What are the gotcha's I need to look for on this table, what spare parts should I be on the look out for, what wears out the worst... and whats your favorite part of the game. I think mine is the "manhole" cover scoop.
-Jim

I just completed adding all the components. I bought the complete set from Marco, labeled the baggies, printed good clean set of drawings, became familiar with the board and started soldering. Got it right on the first try. I would agree that for the $17 plus the cost of the new speakers it was worth it. My right speaker is quieter than the left and I plan to add a resister pot on the new channel to control the volume to match the left. I used a 40W pencil iron and some good rosen core solder. Take your time, have good lighting and a magnifying glass ( I bought the desk mount LED magnifier at Harbor Freight). It was a rewarding project.

It takes a little work to mount the other speaker. Plan on using a small drill, rivets and the flattest head screws you can find.

PM me if you need help.

Here are some pictures. I had to suck out all the solder to clear the holes. I started with the smallest components and worked my way up.

IMG_1366_(resized).JPG

IMG_1368_(resized).JPG

IMG_1370_(resized).JPG

IMG_1373_(resized).JPG

IMG_1359_(resized).JPG

#233 5 years ago

yesterday picked up an X-files machine, now the cleaning begins...

#234 5 years ago

Great pictures chuckcasey! thanks for that!
-Jim

#235 5 years ago

I think this area is being subjected to a controlled experiment.

#236 5 years ago

We are having my X-Files as one of the games in our monthly tournament this evening, looking forward to it!
As mentioned before, it is a great balanced game for tournaments, no easy points. everything must be earned

#237 5 years ago

After a few months (started around November/15), yesterday I finished revisiting all 9 seasons + The Lone Gunmen spin-off serie + the 2 movies + the all-new Season 10!!!!! Can't wait for more!!!!

giphy_(resized).png

#238 5 years ago

Definitely one of the coolest shows ever created. No wonder the pinball machine is so awesome. I always assume the haters just hate because for some reason the series and theme wasn't of interest to them or they're just not very good at pinball and this game is pretty unforgiving with the tight shots.

#239 5 years ago

I've been looking for pinblades for my pin. Outside of mirror blades, I have found nothing. Has anyone found anything of use?

#240 5 years ago

Maur, I haven't seen anything specifically made for X-Files in the way of blades, or any blades made for other games that might also work on The X-Files... However, I am considering designing some myself if that's what it takes. A good friend found me someone who can print them off properly as well as a template to design them on. So for me it's just a matter of experimenting with some different ideas for what to use on the art and finding time...

#241 5 years ago

I have been looking around for some blades since I got my machine as well... I can't find anything that looks right. I think I am going to go the same route as sevenrites and design something myself. I need to find a template however... Any chance you'd share that sevenrites? or point me in the direction you found yours?
-Jim

#242 5 years ago

Hi Jim - I'll PM you.

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

I have been looking around for some blades since I got my machine as well... I can't find anything that looks right. I think I am going to go the same route as sevenrites and design something myself. I need to find a template however... Any chance you'd share that sevenrites? or point me in the direction you found yours?
-Jim

Quoted from sevenrites:

Hi Jim - I'll PM you.

Hey guys, I'm interested as well!

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

After a few months (started around November/15), yesterday I finished revisiting all 9 seasons + The Lone Gunmen spin-off serie + the 2 movies + the all-new Season 10!!!!! Can't wait for more!!!!

Ooppsss, the pic did not upload as a gif file....

3102613600000578-3438161-image-a-31_1454984213905_(resized).jpg

#245 5 years ago

"I'm the key figure in an ongoing government charade, a plot to conceal the truth about the existence of extraterrestrials. It's a global conspiracy, actually, with key players in the highest levels of power and it reaches down into the lives of every man, woman, and child on this planet."

Amendes, you've got a PM as well. A little friendly competition never hurts... I'm told these things can be printed for much less than what they cost retail.

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

"I'm the key figure in an ongoing government charade, a plot to conceal the truth about the existence of extraterrestrials. It's a global conspiracy, actually, with key players in the highest levels of power and it reaches down into the lives of every man, woman, and child on this planet."
Amendes, you've got a PM as well. A little friendly competition never hurts... I'm told these things can be printed for much less than what they cost retail.

Replied!!!! Now, holding the anxiety...

#247 5 years ago

Sent. ..."we send those men up into space to unlock the doors of the universe, and we don't even know what's behind them."

#248 5 years ago

Jim5six, Sevenrites, Amendes

You guys come up with anything or find anything let me know. I'll be in as well

#249 5 years ago

I joined the X-Files club yesterday. Had to replace the game rom socket, acid damaged the socket but not the board. Other than that it plays fantastic. Based on some documents I found inside and what the seller told me it's been home since 1998. Can't wait to shop it out and led it.

20160527_231028_(resized).jpg

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from Evilive69:

Can't wait to shop it out and led it.

Nice score! Make sure you get non ghosting LED's for this one, at least in the inserts, the cheap LED's will definitely flicker and annoy you. I settled with PinballLife premium bulbs for those. The GI lighting does not seem to have a ghosting effect so you can probably get by with cheaper ones there, but premium ones will definitely brighten it up even better.

Such a tough game as far as making shots go. Probably the most difficult one I have to hit ramps & etc. with, always challenging, sometimes downright frustrating, but such a great game.

There are 909 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 19.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside