20231116_213838 (resized).jpg
20231116_203253 (resized).jpg
20231116_210301 (resized).jpg
20231116_203240 (resized).jpg
20231108_163259 (resized).jpg
20231108_163305 (resized).jpg
20231108_163308 (resized).jpg
20231108_163326 (resized).jpg
There are 1,149 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 23.
#151 8 years ago

1. So, The plate was quite easily "unscrewed", and came off.
2. Then I cut a papir in th desired size to cut behind the badges. Careful not to cut to close to the screw holes.
3. Remove the badges by unscrewing the scews, easy peasy. Then draw an outline around the paper template.

02.jpg02.jpg
04.jpg04.jpg
05.jpg05.jpg
06.jpg06.jpg
07.jpg07.jpg
08.jpg08.jpg

#152 8 years ago

1.When both outlines are done, we used a fein saw to saw out the holes. Fantastic tool!

09.jpg09.jpg

10.jpg10.jpg

11.jpg11.jpg

12.jpg12.jpg

13.jpg13.jpg

15.jpg15.jpg

16.jpg16.jpg

#153 8 years ago

1. I touched up some parts where the saw made some marks, but most of it is under the badges anyway.
2. Then fasten the badges on the front, and on the back I screwed on a .555 base I bought form pinballcenter.
3. Solder on a wire on each lug, be sure to make it long enough to reach the playfield-badge bulb. Better safe than sorry.
4. Then reattach the plate while having the playfield resting on the backbox.
5. And the last challenge is what I wrote in some posts above; how to piggyback on the badge bulb under playfield.HELP

17.jpg17.jpg

18.jpg18.jpg

20.jpg20.jpg

21.jpg21.jpg

22.jpg22.jpg

23.jpg23.jpg

24.jpg24.jpg

#154 8 years ago

Super neat idea. Hopefully someone can chime in and help you figure this out. I'd love to see this in action. (and then do the same to mine, haha)

3 weeks later
#155 8 years ago

Havent come around to the final operation; Add diode to the new bulb bases and then piggyback the wires of the playfield badges. Will hope fully. Meanwhile I finally got to install the illuminated flipperbuttons! I ordered a kit from pinball center which is strangely lacking of any guide. I got a very short description and with the help of some cleverly drawn paint-images, managed to sort out how to hook it up. Will take some photos of the actual wiring soon, but here is the result:

xfbutton2.jpgxfbutton2.jpg
xfbutton1.jpgxfbutton1.jpg

#156 8 years ago

New member in da house! Going through the whole thread tomorrow!

#157 8 years ago

Welcome! Is it a probect you have bought or a pay and play, so to say?

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Welcome! Is it a probect you have bought or a pay and play, so to say?

I made a deal to trade my Stern Catacomb for it. Need to get through a whole restoration project by the former owner before I get it delivered, so unfortunately it will still take a few months before it arrives home! New cabinet is being made, the PF will be coated, new parts (plastics, toys, ramps...), will be added! Anyway, I'm thrilled!frente.JPGfrente.JPG

1 week later
#159 8 years ago

80e0fe28c6815523e37279abb208c3cc_(resized).jpg80e0fe28c6815523e37279abb208c3cc_(resized).jpg

x-mas-files_(resized).jpgx-mas-files_(resized).jpg

x_files_christmas_victorian_balcony_by_alexandradeufemia-d4qh1n3_(resized).jpgx_files_christmas_victorian_balcony_by_alexandradeufemia-d4qh1n3_(resized).jpg

#160 8 years ago

A cool video done about (one of) mine...

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Havent come around to the final operation; Add diode to the new bulb bases and then piggyback the wires of the playfield badges. Will hope fully. Meanwhile I finally got to install the illuminated flipperbuttons! I ordered a kit from pinball center which is strangely lacking of any guide. I got a very short description and with the help of some cleverly drawn paint-images, managed to sort out how to hook it up. Will take some photos of the actual wiring soon, but here is the result:
xfbutton2.jpg
xfbutton1.jpg

Dig the lit buttons!

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Dig the lit buttons!

Thanks, it turned out very nice. Its not too flashy and gives a nice look.

1 week later
#163 8 years ago

Awesome I found this place!

#164 8 years ago

Hi. Can someone shoot me a photo of the wiring bridge under the playfield where the bop pumpers get wired to. I have to wires off that look like they got to that.

1 week later
#165 8 years ago

Looking for nice ideas for a X Files topper...... anyone?

2 weeks later
#166 8 years ago

images_(resized).jpegimages_(resized).jpeg

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from BumperNets:

Season premiere was great!

Haven't seen it yet.... please, tell me nothing!!!!

#169 8 years ago

Looking forward to see it later today!

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from BumperNets:

Season premiere was great!

My wife and I agree! But honestly... it could have been the worst X-Files episode ever and we would have still agreed!

#171 8 years ago

I am watching the new season now and it is just as good as I remember,I miss my x files

#172 8 years ago

What do you guys think about these bumper caps?

XFs_bmprs_(resized).jpgXFs_bmprs_(resized).jpg

#173 8 years ago

Hmmmmmmmm I actually think they look quite cool. Done them yourself?

#174 8 years ago

A friend of mine is making, but I think the set is coming a bit costly (about US$ 150.00)....

#175 8 years ago

Yeah that aint gonna happen, for that price ill stick with the original hehe. Besides....I dont fancy to remove those ramps again to reach the bumpers... :/

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

A friend of mine is making, but I think the set is coming a bit costly (about US$ 150.00)....

Awesome looking! But too expensive for me.

#177 8 years ago

Looking to buy one please lmk if you might have one for sale guys
Thank you

1 week later
#179 8 years ago

My recently restored PF.

12628508_556059814564815_7101728651333240332_o.jpg12628508_556059814564815_7101728651333240332_o.jpg

12658009_556059731231490_8105521159034151667_o.jpg12658009_556059731231490_8105521159034151667_o.jpg

#180 8 years ago

Just a double post for the old and new club readers:

I finally managed to get the FBI badle ligth mod working today!

It was not perhaps the extreme effect i was imagining, I have a flexible strong white bulb begind the badges, will try with a white LED strip around on the inside behind the badge. Maybe Ill even try to build the badges a centimeter or two out from the panel to get more spread of light. Anyways Some pictures and also some videos I uploaded can be found below:

Scully mode:

Ball is drained light show:

xfiles_badge_scotchlok_(resized).jpgxfiles_badge_scotchlok_(resized).jpg
xfiles_bulb_diode_wiring_(resized).jpgxfiles_bulb_diode_wiring_(resized).jpg
xfiles_scully_badge_lit_(resized).jpgxfiles_scully_badge_lit_(resized).jpg

#181 8 years ago

Hey X-Files CLUB! Two years ago for a customer I was asked to shop and mod a super nice unconfirmed HUO (It still had the goody bag inside) X-Files. This has premium Cointaker LED kit, blue XPIN LED DMD, Pinblades, and blue LED undercabinet glow. I wish TITAN competition rings were around then!
Xfiles_Completed9_(resized).jpgXfiles_Completed9_(resized).jpgXfiles_Completed8_(resized).jpgXfiles_Completed8_(resized).jpgXfiles_Completed6_(resized).jpgXfiles_Completed6_(resized).jpgXfiles_Completed5_(resized).jpgXfiles_Completed5_(resized).jpg

#182 8 years ago

Here is the completed "Before and After" thread I had created while working on it...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-x-files-restore-work-and-blue-led-dmd-upgrade

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Here is the completed "Before and After" thread I had created while working on it...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-x-files-restore-work-and-blue-led-dmd-upgrade

BEAUTIFULL!!!

4 weeks later
#184 8 years ago

Did anyone apply internal art-decals? Found these locally but didn't like it at all....

amostra_side_art_X_files_(resized).JPGamostra_side_art_X_files_(resized).JPG

#185 8 years ago

Oh damn those were ugly. I havent come across any panels worth having yet..

#186 8 years ago

I recently picked up one of these, and am really enjoying it. I can't believe Sega only put in one panel speaker though. I've already upgraded the speakers and went to a complete set in the panel, sounds much better, and the extra bass in the cabinet really adds to the atmosphere as well. I've also LED'd it. I'm happy with most of it. I replaced most flashers with "Super Brite 8 SMD" from Comet. I used red ones by the cabinet and really like the effect. I like the light show and blinding flashes from the green domes. Looking for any other ideas for improvements. I want the bumper flasher to really go off, also looking to improve on the FBI-popup/tunnel lighting, and the big X. I see the pics above with green LEDs on the X. I might try that, definitely seems to stand out more. I have 4-SMD non-ghosting blues, but could be brighter I think.

#187 8 years ago

Oh, mine came with mirror blades, and it seems to work well with the lighting / flash effects, you might want to consider that.

#188 8 years ago

Is anyone working on colorized DMD for this? I might look into one of the homebrew solutions and do it myself, but curious if anything is already out there or already working on this?

#189 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Oh, mine came with mirror blades, and it seems to work well with the lighting / flash effects, you might want to consider that.

I would but shipping costs to brazil are way too expensive....

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Looking for any other ideas for improvements. I want the bumper flasher to really go off, also looking to improve on the FBI-popup/tunnel lighting, and the big X.

On the top of this page you can see my xfiles back panel badge mod, also in mine i have a blue led strip in the fbi hole, looks great! Added a spotlight on the fluke man, and added a led strip in the top of the alien cannister. Led backbox kit, speaker light kit and pinball pro speakers+woofer. The x is default green but i like the blue leds in it better, gives it a colder look.

#191 8 years ago

A short video of my machine can be seen here:

Its before the badge mod and dont remember if i got super pops so you see the cool led ring lightning.

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Is anyone working on colorized DMD for this? I might look into one of the homebrew solutions and do it myself, but curious if anything is already out there or already working on this?

I have thought of the same and sent an email to colorDMD and asked if they have some sort of quick start guide for coloring a game, like how to get started with software etc. If so i could be interested in giving it a try. But havent got a reply...

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

On the top of this page you can see my xfiles back panel badge mod, also in mine i have a blue led strip in the fbi hole, looks great! Added a spotlight on the fluke man, and added a led strip in the top of the alien cannister. Led backbox kit, speaker light kit and pinball pro speakers+woofer. The x is default green but i like the blue leds in it better, gives it a colder look.

Nice, I'm going to have to go through this whole thread to pick up ideas. LED strip for the hole is a great idea.

#194 8 years ago

I installed a DMD Extender in our X-Files a while ago. Thought I posted pictures in this thread but I guess I didn't...

I attached one picture and there are a bunch more here...
http://vidiotarcade.com/pub/X-Files%20DMD%20Extender/

I would *love* a fully colored version but this is a pretty nice improvement imho.

dscf4427_(resized).jpgdscf4427_(resized).jpg

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Do you think the Pinball Pro upgrade was worth it? I have two upgraded speakers already but I'm curious if the (sub)woofer would make nice bass with this game.

4 weeks later
#196 8 years ago

I put in upgraded backbox speakers (really a shame this only has 1 by default - that's a must fix!) and put a car woofer in the cabinet and it sounds great. The pop bumper sound effect is also awesome now: deep and booming. Top pop bumper effect along with the two flashers I recall off hand.

#197 8 years ago

Because of the value as far as $/fun, I gave X-Files my vote as my top find when asked in this thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-type-of-pinhead-are-you#post-3094613

Has anyone else thought of TOM when playing X-Files? Maybe it's more because I had played that one recently when I got my X-Files, but it definitely has a few similar feeling features: the inner loop, and the trap door in front of the ramp.

After I upgrade the speakers, the multi-ball audio effects also reminded me of an upgraded-audio Tommy and the mirror shattering effect. It has those similar crisp clanking-type audio effects.

I'm really enjoying my X-Files!

#198 8 years ago

I'm finally joining the club this evening and looking forward to giving this game a deep clean and the LED treatment. So many possibilities for mod & lighting experimentations with this theme.

I do have one question - anyone ever experience a slow boot / long load times? This one is very slow to start up. And after a ball drains, it takes up to a minute sometimes for it to process and kick out the next one. I'm assuming this may be common with some Sega games because I had a Starship Troopers that was also slow to start up. But it did not have the delay between balls.

#199 8 years ago

No delays like that on mine. I would check the switch diagnostics, and perhaps remove the balls and drop them back to see how the trough switches are behaving.

#200 8 years ago

Has anyone investigated whether any of the audio is stereo? I have heard some conflicting information. I hooked up the second speaker to the same channel as the left, but from what I have learned, there is actually a third channel that can be activated on the board by populating components. It only seems worth the effort if there's actually some stereo audio.

Maybe time to play in PINMAME and see if anything stereo can be identified, would love to know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,149 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-and-rules-to-x-files/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.