20231116_213841 (resized).jpg
20231116_213843 (resized).jpg
20231116_213838 (resized).jpg
20231116_203253 (resized).jpg
20231116_210301 (resized).jpg
20231116_203240 (resized).jpg
20231108_163259 (resized).jpg
20231108_163305 (resized).jpg
There are 1,156 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 24.
#1001 1 year ago

I am curious to know what you all have your volume set to.

The default is 15. But that is very loud on my game.

I am setting mine to between 2 and 6 depending on environment.

Can you all take a quick look and let me know? Just open door and hit the red volume button on the left one time and it will show you current volume setting.

If yours is less than 15, please try turning it up to 15 for a little bit and let me know what you think of that volume level.

#1002 1 year ago

So excited to see Chad finally has the game ... so sad that I no longer have mine.

Good luck Chad, make it awesome!

#1003 1 year ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Can you all take a quick look and let me know? Just open door and hit the red volume button on the left one time and it will show you current volume setting.
If yours is less than 15, please try turning it up to 15 for a little bit and let me know what you think of that volume level.

I don’t keep my games all that loud but I have mine set to 3. I cranked it to 15 to see and it was horrible. The audio quality on those Segas was so poor but at default volume the peaks were just unbearable.

#1004 1 year ago

Sold mine too, but the new owner had one when she was a kid and wanted one for her kids to enjoy.
So when your code is done I’ll get it over to her ASAP.

#1005 1 year ago

Read that often that the sound is not so great.
In my opinion the sound especially the music in X-Files is very good.
I have replaced the woofer in the cab (4 Ohm) replaced and added a second BB speaker (2x Visaton FR10).
Only the voice samples are not the best but with the speaker upgrade much better.

#1006 1 year ago
Quoted from MG7322:

Sold mine too, but the new owner had one when she was a kid and wanted one for her kids to enjoy.
So when your code is done I’ll get it over to her ASAP.

New code, how cool would that be?

#1007 1 year ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

Read that often that the sound is not so great.
In my opinion the sound especially the music in X-Files is very good.
I have replaced the woofer in the cab (4 Ohm) replaced and added a second BB speaker (2x Visaton FR10).
Only the voice samples are not the best but with the speaker upgrade much better.

So the Visaton FR10 did you find the sound better than stock ones? I just bough six of those speakers to replace all three of my machines stock speakers. Figures for the price i would give it a try

#1008 1 year ago

So, finally getting around to messing with the Opto’s to try and get the magnet to work correctly and hold the ball during the truth mode.
Any tips for aligning and then keeping them aligned?

#1009 1 year ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

So the Visaton FR10 did you find the sound better than stock ones? I just bough six of those speakers to replace all three of my machines stock speakers. Figures for the price i would give it a try

Yes I used the Visaton FR 10 (8 Ohm) also in my Starship Troopers.

#1011 1 year ago
Quoted from ChadH:

ChadH, yes 15 is very loud. I turned my game down to 3 which seems a much more reasonable level

#1013 1 year ago

For those of you X Files owners that have removed the metal protector from the magnet area, any tips for doing so? I really don't like the athestics of it and am hoping there isn't damage undernearth it or isn't too bad. I'm guessing maybe little heat to losen up the glue then maybe pry up and pray!!

#1014 1 year ago
Quoted from ChadH:

We are on 3 in a loud pinball bar. Anything higher is murderous. I've always assumed something is broken in the sound area. I did a bunch of googling a couple years ago and there may be differences in some resistors in the sound section or something. Not a ton of whitestar info out there.

#1015 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I don’t keep my games all that loud but I have mine set to 3. I cranked it to 15 to see and it was horrible. The audio quality on those Segas was so poor but at default volume the peaks were just unbearable.

Quoted from Bugsy:

ChadH, yes 15 is very loud. I turned my game down to 3 which seems a much more reasonable level

Quoted from supermoot:

We are on 3 in a loud pinball bar. Anything higher is murderous. I've always assumed something is broken in the sound area. I did a bunch of googling a couple years ago and there may be differences in some resistors in the sound section or something. Not a ton of whitestar info out there.

Thanks for the feed back. So it's not just the machine I am working on. The default volume level of 15 is way too loud. I will be adjusting it down so whenever you reset your machine (or update the code ) then it will not wake the neighbors.

#1016 1 year ago

I really hope color DMD is working on this game!

#1017 1 year ago
Quoted from V8haha:

I really hope color DMD is working on this game!

I put a PIN2DMD in mine. It's awesome in Color!!!

1 week later
#1018 1 year ago

I am curious to know everyone's thinking on Mulder vs. Scully.

If you are playing for fun, which character do you choose... Mulder or Scully? And why?

If you are in a tournament for high score, which would you choose? And why?

#1019 1 year ago
Quoted from ChadH:

If you are playing for fun, which character do you choose... Mulder or Scully? And why?

ChadH

I always go for Scully because she helps get the X’s lit faster for that multiball, and the file cabinet multiball is easy enough to get without choosing Mulder which makes it even easier.

Unless I’m missing something with what either choice rewards, that was always my take on it.

As for scoring, I think it may be easier to get higher scoring with X multiball than the file cabinet multiball. Although I don’t really pay much attention to how much each scores. for me, it feels easier to complete all the X shots then hit the cabinet a few times and start the X multiball over than it seems to be to try and get super jackpot on cabinet multiball at least once and maybe a second time or two.

Whether for tournament, scoring or for fun, my choice is always Scully.

#1020 1 year ago

I have mine set to the “hard” default settings, otherwise it’s incredibly multiball heavy. I do tend to play Mulder because I find it better to build up your jackpot values on the Scully X-multiball, otherwise it’s a super low scoring multiball (isn’t everything on here though?)

Mulder selection does make the inlanes completely unused though.

#1021 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I do tend to play Mulder because I find it better to build up your jackpot values on the Scully X-multiball, otherwise it’s a super low scoring multiball

Interesting. I never noticed it worked like that. I’ll have to pay attention next time I play it. Or maybe read the rules again. It’s been forever since I briefly glanced over them.

#1022 1 year ago

You increase the jackpot values by completing the 3-bank standup targets. Left (scully) increases the X-multiball, right (Mulder) increases the cabinet multiball.

#1023 1 year ago

ChadH I dont know to what depth you plan to go with a rewrite, but I remember I sketched down the start of some ideas for an eventual update several years ago. Not much, but if you want to have a look and feel something might be cool, my document is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xhZZAKlaK5ffAis5uKQYWwNCmtzsLtXjK1b2hAHChMY/edit?usp=sharing

#1024 1 year ago

I’ve been going someone would write new code for this game ever since I restored one back in 2019. Love the shots and the overall mood of the machine, but that damned Sega “everyone gets a Multiball” really diminishes all of their machines, IMO. XFiles is one of the best designed games of the era, it deserves a fully engaging rule set!

#1025 1 year ago

A friend asked me if I could make a X-Files file cabinet for his game. I had fun with the project and now I'm offering it in my PS Shop. If I sells out, I can make more but understand it takes over 23 hours to print (TPU material is 4X slower to print than PLA.) I will be in MGC (Milwaukee, WI) this Friday and Saturday so if you wanted it without shipping, it shouldn't be a problem.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1453-scottieia-mods/08135-x-files-file-cabinet

#1026 1 year ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

A friend asked me if I could make a X-Files file cabinet for his game. I had fun with the project and now I'm offering it in my PS Shop. If I sells out, I can make more but understand it takes over 23 hours to print (TPU material is 4X slower to print than PLA.) I will be in MGC (Milwaukee, WI) this Friday and Saturday so if you wanted it without shipping, it shouldn't be a problem.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1453-scottieia-mods/08135-x-files-file-cabinet

WOW these are awesome

#1027 1 year ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

WOW these are awesome

Thanks! The XFiles is a cool game and so much of it is focused on the cabinet.

#1028 1 year ago

With that new file cabinet you need the icing on the cake!

Both clear and Vapor Metallic glass LED bulbs for the filing cabinet.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1445-mitchell-lighting/07903-the-x-files-filing-cabinet-vapor-metallic-led-kit

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1445-mitchell-lighting/07326-the-x-files-filing-cabinet-glass-led-kit

B688C8F5-928F-4DCA-8E4F-83788DF5713C (resized).jpegB688C8F5-928F-4DCA-8E4F-83788DF5713C (resized).jpeg
#1031 1 year ago

"During the interview, Carter said, “I just spoke to a young man, Ryan Coogler, who is going to remount ‘The X-Files’ with a diverse cast. "

Diverse cast? Sounds like it will be a hard pass for me. The woke agenda is likely to trash it like they have with many other remakes.

#1032 1 year ago

Do you recognize any of these sound calls being used in the game? If so, where?

Mulder: "I think this area is being subjected to a controlled experiment"
Mulder: "Why are you here?"
Scully: "Hope it's nothing serious"

#1033 1 year ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Do you recognize any of these sound calls being used in the game? If so, where?
Mulder: "I think this area is being subjected to a controlled experiment"
Mulder: "Why are you here?"
Scully: "Hope it's nothing serious"

"Why are you here" is when you hit the start button with no credits. Heard it a lot when my X Files was on route.

#1034 1 year ago

Guess what's coming to X-Files?

Skill Shot!

Every ball you are offered a Skill Shot. If you are successful, you get the points and will be offered the next level Skill Shot on your next ball (including extra balls). If you miss, you are awarded no points and will be offered the same level Skill Shot on your next ball.

Skill Shot 1: Left Orbit - 250,000
Skill Shot 2: Left Ramp - 500,000
Skill Shot 3: Left Mini Loop - 1,000,000

Example...
Ball 1, you miss Skill Shot 1 (Left Orbit).
Ball 2, you make Skill Shot 1 (Left Orbit) and are awarded 250,000 points.
Ball 3, you miss Skill Shot 2 (Left Ramp) but during that ball you get an Extra Ball.
Ball 3 (extra ball), you make Skill Shot 2 (Left Ramp) and are awarded 500,000 points.

Another example...
Ball 1, you make Skill Shot 1 (Left Orbit) and are awarded 250,000 points.
Ball 2, you make Skill Shot 2 (Left Ramp) and are awarded 500,000 points.
Ball 3, you make Skill Shot 3 (Left Mini Loop) and are awarded 1,000,000 points, and during that ball you get an Extra Ball.
Ball 3 (extra ball), you make Skill Shot 3 (Left Mini Loop) and are awarded 1,000,000 points, you are hot tonight!

While the ball is in the Shooter Lane, the display will show the current Skill Shot and its value (alternating with showing the usual current player number/score screen, and the Push Button To Launch Ball screen). Also, the associated playfield arrow lamp will be flashing. If you make the Skill Shot, the display will show you made the shot and the value (with success sound effect). If you miss, the display will show you missed (with fail sound effect).

If your game is set to more than 3 balls, the Skill Shot is still capped at 1,000,000.

(everything above is subject to change based on testing.)

#1035 1 year ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Guess what's coming to X-Files?

Skill Shot!

Will the skill shot be on a timer, or based on a switch hit? For example, if you miss the skill shot, and don't hit any other switches but get control of the ball again, will you be able to take a second shot? Or say you cradle up just after launching the ball. Will you be able to take your time and measure up your shot, or will it be a more "on the fly" type shot?

If you miss the skill shot and do hit one switch, is that it, or do you still get a second attempt if able to cradle up?

Adding a skill shot sounds great regardless!

#1036 1 year ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Will the skill shot be on a timer, or based on a switch hit? For example, if you miss the skill shot, and don't hit any other switches but get control of the ball again, will you be able to take a second shot? Or say you cradle up just after launching the ball. Will you be able to take your time and measure up your shot, or will it be a more "on the fly" type shot?
If you miss the skill shot and do hit one switch, is that it, or do you still get a second attempt if able to cradle up?
Adding a skill shot sounds great regardless!

No timer. Purely switch based. As long as you don’t hit a wrong switch, it will remain active… so there may be times where you get multiple chances if your shot didn’t activate any switches.

#1037 1 year ago

Did you know that every time you start a mode (Herrenvolk, Terma, Smoking Man, etc) you are silently granted 200,000 points? Then the mode starts and it is well known that all modes have a starting bonus of 100,000 points which you add to by making the shots defined in the mode. Then at the end of the mode, it shows you the total of that 100,000 starting bonus plus any bonuses from the shots you made. That bonus shown does NOT include the silent 200,000 you were granted up front.

So really... every time you start a mode you are ultimately granted 300,000 points.

#1038 1 year ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Did you know that every time you start a mode (Herrenvolk, Terma, Smoking Man, etc) you are silently granted 200,000 points? Then the mode starts and it is well known that all modes have a starting bonus of 100,000 points which you add to by making the shots defined in the mode. Then at the end of the mode, it shows you the total of that 100,000 starting bonus plus any bonuses from the shots you made. That bonus shown does NOT include the silent 200,000 you were granted up front.
So really... every time you start a mode you are ultimately granted 300,000 points.

Yes that could really be the case.
I think in some missions like The Host points are also not added correctly.
The silent 200k can be the reason for this.

#1039 1 year ago

I would like to have more benefits from the Super Pops.
f.e.

- Bonus held
- Bonus multiplier held
- increase of MB Jackpots
- increase of Innerloop points
- after 3 or more Super Pops Extraball on the right ramp

#1040 1 year ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

Yes that could really be the case.
I think in some missions like The Host points are also not added correctly.
The silent 200k can be the reason for this.

Yep, The Host and Syzygy both have bugs with scoring.

Also, Terma isn't granting the Starting Bonus.

I'm fixing all these things. Plus a lot more stuff.

#1041 1 year ago

Another "coming soon"...

X Files Champ!

Found remnants of an unfinished implementation of a secondary "high score" feature. So I polished it up and finished it off.

X Files Champ will keep track of the player who has started the most X Files modes. If you beat the X Files Champ high score, you get you enter your initials at the end of the game (along with regular high score if you achieved one) and this will be displayed during Attract Mode just after the regular high scores are displayed.

#1042 1 year ago

I knew you'd finally get around to making these updates and I'd regret having sold mine....

#1043 1 year ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Another "coming soon"...
X Files Champ!
Found remnants of an unfinished implementation of a secondary "high score" feature. So I polished it up and finished it off.
X Files Champ will keep track of the player who has started the most X Files modes. If you beat the X Files Champ high score, you get you enter your initials at the end of the game (along with regular high score if you achieved one) and this will be displayed during Attract Mode just after the regular high scores are displayed.

Great

#1044 1 year ago

I don't know if these are well known but I found some flipper codes... try these during Attract Mode.

L, R, Lx2, Rx2, Lx3, Rx3
Lx2, Rx2, Lx2, Rx2
Lx4, Rx7, Lx8

#1045 1 year ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I don't know if these are well known but I found some flipper codes... try these during Attract Mode.
L, R, Lx2, Rx2, Lx3, Rx3
Lx2, Rx2, Lx2, Rx2
Lx4, Rx7, Lx8

Just tried, very nice found

3 weeks later
#1046 1 year ago

Looking at buying a X-Files

Anything i should look out for?

Any known plastics that break? anything that is hard to get for that that i should make sure is working or not broken?

One thing i noticed is the machine has a cover near the magnet. I have attached a picture. Anyone know who makes that? Im guessing its there to hide damage

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1047 1 year ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

Looking at buying a X-Files
Any known plastics that break? anything that is hard to get for that that i should make sure is working or not broken?
One thing i noticed is the machine has a cover near the magnet. I have attached a picture. Anyone know who makes that? Im guessing its there to hide damage
[quoted image]

Look for:

- smoothly working cabinet
- working trapdoor
- broken plastics (replacement not easy to find)
- wear at flipper buttons
- working optos 2 in front of cabinet and 2 in the outer loops

The metal cover in front of the cabinet is part of an Sega upgrade kit (SB105) to prevent (or hide) damage in this area.

#1048 1 year ago

The file cabinet on your picture looks good, most of them are badly broken.
But the blue plastics left and right are not the right ones.

#1049 1 year ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

Look for tear out around those wood-threaded posts in front of the cabinet toy. It’s a really bad design; once that area starts to go there isn’t much that can be done. Those posts are way too close to the edges of the plywood.
If the posts are torn out, the best option I can think of is to drill out and fill the holes with dowels; I would then move the posts in slightly so that you’re getting purchase in new wood. I did an XFiles playfield swap onto an NOS playfield; knowing this was a problem I moved those posts in slightly and used t-nuts rather than wood thread posts. Gameplay was not affected, and if a post wants to break, it won’t tear out the wood.

#1050 1 year ago

FYI - I'm currently making a mod to help with speaker hum/buzz on this generation of boards (Sega / Stern Whitestar). I have a Simpsons Pinball Party, and the hum was bothering me. I ended up finding this pinside discussion (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-speaker-humbuzz-fixed) which describes how to make the mod and how they work. The first post on that page has a video showing the process. I have them on Simpson's and Ripley's and they help immensely. If you'd like a pair and don't have the time or tools to make them, I will ship a pair to your door for $22. If interested please direct message me as I'm not here often. Thank you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denton, NC
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,156 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.