20231116_213838 (resized).jpg
20231116_203253 (resized).jpg
20231116_210301 (resized).jpg
20231116_203240 (resized).jpg
20231108_163259 (resized).jpg
20231108_163305 (resized).jpg
20231108_163308 (resized).jpg
20231108_163326 (resized).jpg
There are 1,149 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 23.
#951 2 years ago

- red lithography foil for the DMD
- red bumper caps
- some McFarlane Figures with extra Spotlights

20220316_204934 (resized).jpg20220316_204934 (resized).jpg20220406_182526 (resized).jpg20220406_182526 (resized).jpg20220406_182538 (resized).jpg20220406_182538 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#952 2 years ago

Hello. Recently turned on x files to find that only the general illumination is working on the playfield. I have never worked on a sega machine and feel a bit lost. Where should I start looking to get this solved?

#953 2 years ago

Did anyone ever do an upgrade on the software for this title? Anything to make it a better player?

#954 2 years ago
Quoted from Watkinsd13:

Hello. Recently turned on x files to find that only the general illumination is working on the playfield. I have never worked on a sega machine and feel a bit lost. Where should I start looking to get this solved?

Damn, so the game doesn't boot, you get no attract lights, no DMD, and NOTHING happens when you turn it on other than GI?

You're going to want to start with your CPU but you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

#955 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Damn, so the game doesn't boot, you get no attract lights, no DMD, and NOTHING happens when you turn it on other than GI?
You're going to want to start with your CPU but you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

Sorry I said this wrong. When I turn the game on it boots up and I can start a game. The dmd plays and the head of it also lights up. I double checked and it looks like all the flashers on top of the playfield are working as well just none of the insert lights are working.

#956 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Did anyone ever do an upgrade on the software for this title? Anything to make it a better player?

I am all set to do a code update for this game... just need the actual game in my house to be able to program it.

2 weeks later
#957 1 year ago

Just joined the club, I noticed inside the backbox those 2 "empty" connectors. One is carrying gray\green wires the other black\yellow.
Is this normal or they should connected to something else??
Am I missing something?
Thank you in advance

20220505_123944 (resized).jpg20220505_123944 (resized).jpg20220505_123947 (resized).jpg20220505_123947 (resized).jpg
#958 1 year ago

Wide question - how many who have the X-files and watched the show prefer the "monster of the week" episodes over those specifically about UFOs and aliens? For clarity, a "monster of the week" reference means an episode that stands alone from any greater arc - like Flukeman, "ICE" , "Tooms", etc..

#959 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Wide question - how many who have the X-files and watched the show prefer the "monster of the week" episodes over those specifically about UFOs and aliens? For clarity, a "monster of the week" reference means an episode that stands alone from any greater arc - like Flukeman, "ICE" , "Tooms", etc..

I personally prefer “monster of the week” so much more then the alien/clone stuff they had going on. I think the cancer man was kinda a interesting bad guy arc but even he is kinda all over the place. The monsters were the best and gave you enough info you were invested but left you wanting more.

#960 1 year ago
Quoted from Watkinsd13:

I personally prefer “monster of the week” so much more then the alien/clone stuff they had going on. I think the cancer man was kinda a interesting bad guy arc but even he is kinda all over the place. The monsters were the best and gave you enough info you were invested but left you wanting more.

I agree - Die Hand Die Verletzt, Død Kalm, Darkness Falls, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose - all good stuff. I had asked because I wish they had included more in the pin from other episodes.

#961 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I agree - Die Hand Die Verletzt, Død Kalm, Darkness Falls, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose - all good stuff. I had asked because I wish they had included more in the pin from other episodes.

All good episodes! I agree I wish there was more but I guess that is the way it is with most machines. It’s silly there are so many monsters they could have thrown in but some how Scully’s dog Queequeg made it in the game lmao

#962 1 year ago

I'm a monster of the week fan too.

#963 1 year ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I'm a monster of the week fan too.

Favorite episode(s)? I'm rewatching the series now. Have yet to see the new seasons.

#964 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I'm rewatching the series now.

Me too. I forgot how good season two was.

#965 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Favorite episode(s)? I'm rewatching the series now. Have yet to see the new seasons.

A couple that come to mind but not by title lol
- Flukeman, of course
- The werewolf one -- the scene where it's mauling someone in the background while in the foreground you're seeing a drink jostle around on the porch, that stuck with me for a long time
- the satanist cult evil devil lady at the school (remember the pig dissection scene?)
- the circus freakshow
- the Giovanni ribisi lightning one
-

#966 1 year ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

A couple that come to mind but not by title lol

- the satanist cult evil devil lady at the school (remember the pig dissection scene?
-

Die Hand Die Verletzt

One of my favorite too

3 weeks later
#967 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Currently rewatching (because my GF had never seen it), and I still very much prefer the mythology episodes over the MOTW ones. My GF prefers the MOTW, though, but she's wrong about a lot of stuff, so...

#968 1 year ago

Hi everyone,

Having a strange issue with my X-Files (just when I thought everything was fixed)!

It seems that the File Cabinet is registering double hits. Looks like it only happens when the File Cabinet is moving down, though. So, it'll go from all the way up to all the way down on "2 more times". You can hear it registering a second hit as well, it's not like the motor is just going all the way.

Has anyone else had this issue? The opto looks clean, and it was perfectly fine up until a few weeks ago. Granted, I hadn't played for a bit because I was on vacation and had other stuff going on.

TIA!
Mike

#969 1 year ago
Quoted from Techsture:

Hi everyone,
Having a strange issue with my X-Files (just when I thought everything was fixed)!
It seems that the File Cabinet is registering double hits. Looks like it only happens when the File Cabinet is moving down, though. So, it'll go from all the way up to all the way down on "2 more times". You can hear it registering a second hit as well, it's not like the motor is just going all the way.
Has anyone else had this issue? The opto looks clean, and it was perfectly fine up until a few weeks ago. Granted, I hadn't played for a bit because I was on vacation and had other stuff going on.
TIA!
Mike

Maybe the opto got slightly misaligned and is registering phantom hits?

2 weeks later
#970 1 year ago

I am doing the Stereo sound mod for a friend and noticed something weird when populating the 3rd channel. Everything went smoothly but when I compare the components to the channel next to it I noticed one difference. R21 was populated with a 4.7K from the factory on this board even though the schematic shows 100K. The channel that I just populated has a 100K in R19. Since both of these channels should be the same I have a couple choices:

Use a 100K in R19 and R21

or

Use a 4.7K in R19 and R21 so they match what came on this MPU board.

I also did my Independence day and it had a 100K in R21 so both sections matched.

Just curious if all the X-Files use a 4.7K in R21 and if so that there is an error on the schematics for this game.

1 week later
#971 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

R21 was populated with a 4.7K from the factory on this board even though the schematic shows 100K.

Probably late, but I can confirm that my board also has a 4.7K in R21 (if I'm reading the resistor properly, picture uploaded for reference).

While taking out the fluorescent tube for this picture, I managed to drop it and of course it smashed all over the place. Can I send you the bill?!?

IMG_3028 2 (resized).jpgIMG_3028 2 (resized).jpg
#972 1 year ago
Quoted from Techsture:

Probably late, but I can confirm that my board also has a 4.7K in R21 (if I'm reading the resistor properly, picture uploaded for reference).
While taking out the fluorescent tube for this picture, I managed to drop it and of course it smashed all over the place. Can I send you the bill?!? [quoted image]

Sorry to hear about the bulb! Hope it won't be too bad to clean up and luckily not the playfield glass.

Your board matches the one I got in to upgrade and populate that third section. It also confirms that the X-Files probably had that value for that one resistor changed but it was never reflected in the manual or schematics. So you picture may very well help others and at least document what was shipped in these boards and people can make a note of it in their manuals.

#973 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Sorry to hear about the bulb! Hope it won't be too bad to clean up and luckily not the playfield glass.

I broke ON the playfield glass, so I think I really dodged a bullet there. Nothing the vacuum cleaner couldn't take care of. Could have been much worse! To be honest, I was going to put in one of the LED kits anyways, so not a big loss. Just pushes that project forward a bit.

3 weeks later
#974 1 year ago

Strange thing happened this morning... took off the glass to retrieve a stuck ball, fired up the machine and now every time I turn it on, it is asking me to 'open the door' before I can do anything. It also appears from the attract mode that the machine has gone back to pay play and my high scores have been reset.

Any ideas?

#975 1 year ago
Quoted from WinterMillennium:

Strange thing happened this morning... took off the glass to retrieve a stuck ball, fired up the machine and now every time I turn it on, it is asking me to 'open the door' before I can do anything. It also appears from the attract mode that the machine has gone back to pay play and my high scores have been reset.
Any ideas?

If it doesn't have NVRAM, I would replace the batteries.

1 week later
#976 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Maybe the opto got slightly misaligned and is registering phantom hits?

Just to follow up here, I fixed the phantom / double hit issue today.

Indeed, it was the Magnet opto registering as always-on (confirmed this in the Diag > Sw menu). Not the File Cabinet opto, strangely enough.

I unscrewed the board to check it out and couldn't find any issues. After putting it back up onto the playfield to test further (without screwing back in), it seemed to be working fine. I screwed it in, and played several games, never once registering a phantom hit. All I can figure is that the Magnet Opto receiver board was screwed down too tight which was causing it to be slightly misaligned. I dunno, I never touched it before.

Playing around in the Switches menu did give me another clue as to why my game reboots when both flippers are pressed within 10 minutes of the game being on. Turns out it thinks that there's a series of switches that are activated, and it magically goes away after the game has been running for a bit. I didn't note what group of switches it was registering, because I was trying to fix the other issue.

Next time I turn the machine on cold I'll make note of the switches and report back.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction @nokoro,
Mike

Added 20 months ago:

EDIT: As a follow-up, the other switches the game was reporting being open were the ball trough ones that register how many balls are available. Not related at all to my rebooting issues.

#977 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

So I have mostly completed my X-files playfield swap, just a couple small bugs to work out, and will post photos soon. But, for any of you who may be inclined to do a playfield restoration, I thought I would upload this photoshop image of the magnet area. It's a long-ish story, but I was transferring everything over from an old damaged playfield to a NOS playfield which became damaged with the removal of the metal plate over the magnet. I scanned both play fields and had a friend composite the two images into a single clean image, which I was then able to print out as a waterslide decal. The result is very nice; I had to put down a partial decal first, to better cover the bare wood (since waterslide decals are translucent), then a second decal over the whole area. The file I'm uploading is adjusted to try and keep the whites as clear as possible; your playfield may be slightly different and may need some tweaking, which you can do in photoshop. I did a bit of trial and error but it was maybe the second or third try where it came out looking good. Not too difficult to dial in.
So, first, here is the decal image if you want to do this repair on your game:[quoted image]

Thank you for this image @sethbenjamin! I am looking into doing the same exact thing with the waterslide decals on that spot.

Added 21 months ago:

EDIT: If anyone is doing this same work in the future, the proper scale to print out the waterslide decal is 15.5% of the scanned image size.

Added 21 months ago:

EDIT EDIT: Also, be sure to set your paper type to "Glossy Card Stock".

3 weeks later
#978 1 year ago

ChadH Any updates on getting a game to do that code update?

#979 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

ChadH Any updates on getting a game to do that code update?

Unfortunately, no.

#980 1 year ago

I have found these entries in the menu audits.
Audit 83: Video Mode started
Audit 84: Video Mode complete

Is there a hidden Video Mode on X_Files?

20220815_181122 (resized).jpg20220815_181122 (resized).jpg20220815_181133 (resized).jpg20220815_181133 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#981 1 year ago

Do you know if there is anyone working on a new code for this game???
I have a couple of ideas would like to discuss to improve game experience - including adding Skill-shot and complete mission help

#982 1 year ago

ChadH has expressed interest and done some prelim work on code revisions. He’s done other updates to Data East games like Star Wars that are huge improvements. Just need someone to loan him an actual game to work with! I’d have dropped mine off ages ago if I wasn’t so far away.

#983 1 year ago
Quoted from A1k71:

Do you know if there is anyone working on a new code for this game???
I have a couple of ideas would like to discuss to improve game experience - including adding Skill-shot and complete mission help

I'll do an update once I get my hands on a game.

2 weeks later
#984 1 year ago

I bought my X-files NIB in 1997 and I still have all the original SEGA packaging for it.
my first NIB game (resized).jpgmy first NIB game (resized).jpg

#985 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I bought my X-files NIB in 1997 and I still have all the original SEGA packaging for it.
[quoted image]

Wow!!! Great pic

#986 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

[quoted image]

Wow NIB in 1997
And you have storaged 25 years the original Sega box unbelieveble.

1 month later
#987 1 year ago

Does anyone know how the ball actually gets into the pop bumpers on this game? Is it basically just by chance, like a weak or rattled loop shot that doesn't make it all the way around? I figured maybe my game was missing a one way gate or something, but the manual doesn't suggest anything in that area to feed the ball into the pops. Seems strange that the pop bumpers aren't really utilized at all in this game.

#988 1 year ago

There is a pop up post in the orbit that should stop the ball and divert it into the pops when you are not in a mode. It does not pop up in any mode or multiball.

#989 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

There is a pop up post in the orbit that should stop the ball and divert it into the pops

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

#990 1 year ago

Shopping out a rough x files i picked up. Noticed that the right orbit has slots for 2 switches my game is completely missing the top switch. I don’t see any sign of it being there in the past.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a switch there?

EBC2CFA2-ACEE-4A31-8123-A1F91869894B (resized).jpegEBC2CFA2-ACEE-4A31-8123-A1F91869894B (resized).jpeg
#991 1 year ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a switch there?

Pretty sure it's empty on most / all of them.

3 weeks later
#992 1 year ago

Does anyone know who is actively producing cabinet art/decals for xfiles in the US?

Thank you.

#993 1 year ago
Quoted from runpaulone:

Does anyone know who is actively producing cabinet art/decals for xfiles in the US?
Thank you.

I got mine from Retro Refurbs, but they’re not US based. I’m not aware of anyone actively making them at the moment.

#994 1 year ago
Quoted from qbass187:

I got mine from Retro Refurbs, but they’re not US based. I’m not aware of anyone actively making them at the moment.

Thank you. I may have to go with them. How’s quality?

#995 1 year ago
Quoted from runpaulone:

All retro refurbs sticker are extremely high quality you wont be disappointed

#996 1 year ago
Quoted from runpaulone:

I have yet to apply them. They actually showed up last Fri. But they look very well made.
Pretty psyched about putting and the art blades on.

1 week later
#997 1 year ago

I now have an X-Files in my house! Do you know what this means?

#998 1 year ago

OMG! FINALLY!

#999 1 year ago

Someone with better engineering skills, make the file cabinet act like the building in Godzilla. Use the cabinet as a diverter.

#1000 1 year ago

Not sure if this is general knowledge... but a warning for anyone who has done a "Film Star Reset" on your X-Files. If you do this, you are setting all the difficulty settings to EXTRA EASY. Also, there is no confirmation when you do a "Film Star Reset" so be careful. I guess the purpose of "Film Star Reset" was to quickly set the game to the easiest possible settings for red carpet events during the premiere of the game.

The regular Factory Reset will set the game like this:

Adjustment 06 - Game Difficulty: MODERATE
Adjustment 44 - Mball Restart: MODERATE
Adjustment 46 - Multiball Criterion: MODERATE
Adjustment 47 - Orbit Criterion: MODERATE
Adjustment 48 - Ramp Criterion: MODERATE

The "Film Star Reset" will set the game like this:

Adjustment 06 - Game Difficulty: EXTRA EASY
Adjustment 44 - Mball Restart: EXTRA EASY
Adjustment 46 - Multiball Criterion: EXTRA EASY
Adjustment 47 - Orbit Criterion: EXTRA EASY
Adjustment 48 - Ramp Criterion: EXTRA EASY

Another warning... when doing either a Factory Reset or a "Film Star Reset", the game volume defaults to something pretty high, at least on the machine I am using, so don't be shocked when suddenly the music is playing really loud. Be prepared to lower the volume right away.

I hope you haven't been accidentally playing your game on EXTRA EASY all this time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

There are 1,149 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-and-rules-to-x-files/page/20?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.