20210815_152919 (resized).jpg
B88CFB9A-DFEF-4157-873F-CBE914A39F46 (resized).jpeg
D30B98C8-C079-4333-B311-FDA2A752CE16 (resized).jpeg
7876F821-526A-4D65-A5B5-0A1C39506001 (resized).jpeg
6F16019D-65E6-4364-ACC1-87D818940659 (resized).jpeg
11CBBDE9-A385-49A7-8F65-EDE959546042 (resized).jpeg
09F4AEE7-C5D7-44E6-98C7-F54A799AD97C (resized).jpeg
EC140E90-0265-445B-8161-C677895CFD53 (resized).jpeg

There are 909 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 19.
#51 6 years ago

So I bought this from a pinsider here (thanks again bud!), and wow... I don't think I've ever been this early impressed. Had some buddies over last night and played the hell out of it. I think it's a great game, modes are diverse and very well done, MB's are diverse as well, it has superb flow coming out the ass with great stuff (magnet for the cabinet, trap door, inner loop)

I love it so far. The fact that I'm in the middle of the series again, it got announced Gillian, David and Chris Carter are all signed up for a new show, and that I'm still in love with Scully , makes this buy so perfect right now.

#52 6 years ago

I bought mine about 4 years ago from a huge x files collector,He had it as the center piece for the collection,bought new and played very little,came with a lighted translight also,I paid real money for it though,I did a few mods like extra spots and ufo bumper rings and you can add a right speaker and just jump it off the left speaker,not stereo mod but sounds much better and a lot easer and a sub woofer also helps sound,my family were big fans as an excited to see what the new show will be like

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

...and you can add a right speaker and just jump it off the left speaker, not stereo mod but sounds much better and a lot easier and a sub woofer also helps sound...

For those wondering, the stereo mod is outlined here...
http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/speaker/

I've done it to SST and XF and then I also updated the speakers to Kicker brand. These updates make the games way better imho.

And yesterday I started playing around with a DMD Extender...

Unfortunately the video washed the colors out as it looks much better in person. Just waiting for a 15.6" LED display and controller and then I'll start the installation.

1 month later
#54 6 years ago

Dont know how much activity there is in the restoration forum, so just attaching my last post here, maybe some other Sega/X files lovers have an opinion

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-files-repairing-damaged-insert-caused-by-mylar

What is the best way to repair the red mini hot dog insert in front of the file cabinet?
Put on a red transparent sticker on it and then a mylar, or as a quick fix is it sufficient just slapping a mylar directly on the red damaged insert?

filecab.jpg
1 month later
#55 6 years ago

Got a very nice shopped X-Files this weekend and bonus that it was tastefully LED'd with bright, crisp, whites for the GI. The clear ramps on this are terrific to look at and they (IMO) need to be brightly lit with white so they gleam and sparkle. Putting colors under the ramps take away from their appearance.

Nice to get a game that I don't HAVE to do anything to except play. That said, I bought mirror blades ($50 at Allentown), metal flipper button area protectors, green star posts for the slings, and added a spotlight for Flukeman because it is just too dim without lighting. Just used an incandescent bulb because that produced the creepiest lighting versus all the LED colors I tried.

20150503_151437.jpg 20150503_151453.jpg
#56 6 years ago

I'm working on s friends x filles. The metal plate in front of the file cabinet on this one is held in place by 5 small brads. Not sure how the factory service kit was meant to be done. I need the metal plate to be more flush with pf. Ball is jumping at lip. Any help would be appreciated

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Dont know how much activity there is in the restoration forum, so just attaching my last post here, maybe some other Sega/X files lovers have an opinion
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-files-repairing-damaged-insert-caused-by-mylar
What is the best way to repair the red mini hot dog insert in front of the file cabinet?
Put on a red transparent sticker on it and then a mylar, or as a quick fix is it sufficient just slapping a mylar directly on the red damaged insert?

Put the plate back on. Why did you remove it? It was installed factory near the end as the magnet wear can be very bad with these. It looks better without, but it would not look nice in the long run.

#58 6 years ago

It had been in storage for many years, and was already starting to tear loose and bending. Only option would have to be to "slide" more glue under the open part of it and stick it down. but better to remove it and give it a good cleaning. Putting a mylar over the magnet area should prevent any wear?

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

It had been in storage for many years, and was already starting to tear loose and bending. Only option would have to be to "slide" more glue under the open part of it and stick it down. but better to remove it and give it a good cleaning. Putting a mylar over the magnet area should prevent any wear?

It may for home use, but there was a reason they decided to go with a metal protector above mylar, which is the industry standard, so you may wish to consider that.

#60 6 years ago

If I should consider that it would be handy with a "new" plate, since it has started bending. But it seems nowhere to be bought. But thats another issue.

My question was: What is the best way to repair the red mini hot dog insert in front of the file cabinet?

#61 6 years ago

PoMC, flukeman looking good, will consider that lightning too

#62 6 years ago

this thread is still going? figured the 3 people that actually like this game would have talked it out already.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this thread is still going? figured the 3 people that actually like this game would have talked it out already.

Such a dick...

#64 6 years ago

I have been waiting for this game for over a year, so hopefully will have it fixed and up and running in 2-3 weeks! Will be amazing

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

How's your complete collection sale, is that deal still going?

Go away Neo.

#66 6 years ago

Positive opinions are just as important as negative ones. great games get hi praise, crappy games get negative praise. Least it's a game that gets some attention somewhere and not just an average game that gets lost in the middle that you don't talk about either way.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Positive opinions are just as important as negative ones. great games get hi praise, crappy games get negative praise. Least it's a game that gets some attention somewhere and not just an average game that gets lost in the middle that you don't talk about either way.

Seriously, get out of a fan thread with your crap, this is not the place.

#68 6 years ago

Todays effort was:

1. Discovering the opto issue was misalignment.
Fixed both sets.
2. Discovered that the ball trough issue was caused by the two lower switches dont have a leaf!!:p
3. Cleaned the x- plastic under playfield.
3. Changed the X bulbs to led just to see the effect.

So will order new switches and flipper coil this week.

20150508_211739.jpg 20150508_210804.jpg 20150508_204925.jpg
#69 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Its not our fault you cant hit the only two ramps in the game

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Its not our fault you cant hit the only two ramps in the game

it's because I fell asleep while playing.

#71 6 years ago

Well that excuse wont help you in tournaments

#72 6 years ago

i'll take my chances. In all the years i've been doing tournaments, I have never seen an xfiles used in tournament. Same with SF2.

#73 6 years ago

For the "alien cannister" bumper ring led mod, any suggestions to shere to connect the bumper ribg led to? Thinking of the one that goes to the topside of the cannister.

#74 6 years ago

One mod this game desperately needs is new slingshot graphics. Two boring heads sitting on each sling, plus with Mulder and Scully on the playfield, there are four boring human heads on the lower playfield.

Thinking down the line I will make clear sling plastics and print graphics on waterslide decals.

#75 6 years ago

If anyone else's VUK ejects balls wicked hard and fast, I've fixed mine simply. Damn balls would often fly out of the VUK back into the shooter lane, outlanes or jump everything and go SDTM.

I just stuck a square of 3M double sided tape (leave the backing on one side) at the top of the VUK where the balls ejects. That was enough to dampen the ball's force and now the balls eject without such violence and they don't fly off the ramp on the way down to the right flipper.

#76 6 years ago

Will try that, the vuk ejects balls so hard i fear my right ramp below it will break above the inlane hehe

#77 6 years ago

Yeah I want the alien baby tube to glow. THe bumper ring mod in green would be great if It could sit up top and plug in somewhere.

#78 6 years ago

Be nice Neo. I love my Xfiles. I'm a fan of the show so that helps. Has anyone else heard that they are doing a limited maybe 6-13 episode reboot in the near future? All of the original actors are supposed to be signed on.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Be nice Neo. I love my Xfiles. I'm a fan of the show so that helps. Has anyone else heard that they are doing a limited maybe 6-13 episode reboot in the near future? All of the original actors are supposed to be signed on.

yeah heard it! Excited Just hearing something new with the intro music will be great.

#80 6 years ago

Cannot wait. Hopefully it won't suck. Wonder where they will be picking things up?

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Yeah I want the alien baby tube to glow. THe bumper ring mod in green would be great if It could sit up top and plug in somewhere.

You'll get to that before I do - since I'm still working on the TFTC - but if you want the alien tube to always glow, then you can just run wires to the nearest GI. Not sure if I want mine to always glow though because it does look cool when it flashes during Super Pops.

#82 6 years ago

Forgot it was tied into pops. I would want the ring to glow when supposed to then

#83 6 years ago

So i would assume soldering or somehow tying the led ring together with the red bulb in the cannister, should work. It is on during superpops. Will look into it.

#84 6 years ago

wanted to see if any other x files owners added lollipop sides to cover the flipper button wear I always see on Sega's Shopping this on for a friend. When I put the siderails in the existing holes It is a little off center. Anyone else add these? thinking I may move it forward and drill 4 new holes.

lolli side.JPG
#85 6 years ago

For the alien tube, I was thinking wiring up the circle LED to GI and put whites in the existing sockets that go off with super pops. So you will have a cool constant color, but then have it flash when it's supposed to.

#86 6 years ago

Parental advisory: Alien fingering and brain torture..

20150513_235735.jpg 20150514_001406.jpg
#87 6 years ago

Looks great. So how did you secure ? Wire in ?

#88 6 years ago

Thanks, ill have to play it for a while to see if i think it will work, but I did the following:

Used one of the red 555 bulb sockets in the cannister for the led ring, so in super pops mode it will alternate between green ring and red bulb. This might not be optimal but i will try it for a while.

It was really tight and complicated getting things fastened in teh cannister, I thougth first the top could be taken off, but no. I ended up removing the baby, pulled out the top screws holding the bulb brackets, and then fastening the led ring between the top and the bulb-bases. Im open to other suggestions, but it seems to work. For fastening the bulb brackets again, I did the screws opposite. the nut is on top of the cannister and the screws was entered from the inside.

#89 6 years ago

Looks good and I was considering doing the same thing. If you feel like, take some video of it when in super pops mode.

#90 6 years ago

Will do, Ill probably get it playable tomorrow, so will try to get some footage then

1 week later
#91 6 years ago

Been playing the heck out of X-Files the last week. I love playing teams against myself. The flow of the ramps and orbits and horseshoes are so damn fun when you can make them. Wish the audio quality was better and there were proper callouts. But the trap door is awesome and the pops are super.

Have some mods in mind and will post when I get them done. One I have in mind I think will be super looking.

#92 6 years ago

Great to hear PoMC, I didnt get around to shoot a good video yet but the game is up and running and moved from the "repair room" and into the playing area, and so far it looks and plays great. My first impression was actually that it felt slightly like playing Stern ST when I tried it the first time, mainly in how the balls floats/rolls/feels over the playfield. But that is probably just because of the thorough cleaning/waxing and new rubbers.

I understand though, why many people might dislike this game if they cant hit the ramp shots, because the ball is clunking around alot if you miss. But I love the theme, the challenge, have been waiting for an x-files for a year-ish, and it feels brand new so I am determined to learn those ramps and also looking forward to play through the whole game.

We are using it in our Oslo Pinball Club tournament tomorrow, will be interesting to see how it goes.
anyways, will post a good video soon. Planning on doing a papa-style video soon also to really show the gameplay, as there is no such video online.

Looking forward to your mod ideas! I was thinking about putting a strong led inside flukeman, to see if the plastic is thin enough to give it a cool green/yellow glow from the inside..anyone tested this?

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

For the alien tube, I was thinking wiring up the circle LED to GI and put whites in the existing sockets that go off with super pops. So you will have a cool constant color, but then have it flash when it's supposed to.

I wired the led ring to the 555 bulb inside the flask, I think it will take away from the effect if the flask is lit all the time. Now, it REALLY pops (pun..) when you get super pops. A shame the super pops is only lasting for a short time, I initially thought it would be on for the rest of the ball.

1 month later
#94 6 years ago

Getting closer to "perfecting" this machine, finished the DIY backbox led kit from http://www.superfluxshop.de/. It was abit more work than I thought, since I had to sketch up where to have the led strips and flasher strips myself, drill holes, solder on wires between everything, but at least looks much better than fluorescent tube, and can also adjust the brightness.

Sorry for the low quality photos.

xf_backbox1.jpg

xf_backbox_2.jpg

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

I was thinking about putting a strong led inside flukeman, to see if the plastic is thin enough to give it a cool green/yellow glow from the inside..anyone tested this?

To quote myself... A bright led inside flukeman did not work, was too thick plastic. Ended up buying some spotlights and soldering the lamp to a GI circuit. Tested different leds, currently have the one in the attached photo. Im very careful about not going over the top color-wise, but this makes flukemanr eally creepy. Also tried with different colors; white, sunlight, yellow, purple. Guess Ill swap it out when I get tired of him being green

xf_fluke.jpg

#96 6 years ago

Try a normal incandescent bulb for Flukeman. To me that was the creepiest and allowed the detail to come through.

#97 6 years ago

Picked up an Huo X Files(yup really) which is gorgeous and a rare find indeed. Just enjoying the heck out of it.

#98 6 years ago

Feel free to post some photos of it

#99 6 years ago

First off great to see X-Files getting some deserved attention!!!

Quoted from stretch2:

Picked up an Huo X Files(yup really) which is gorgeous and a rare find indeed. Just enjoying the heck out of it.

glad to see you got another one, because we are loving your old one--thanks again!

Quoted from PoMC:

Try a normal incandescent bulb for Flukeman. To me that was the creepiest and allowed the detail to come through.

So there is actually a bulb somewhere inside of the Flukeman???? Mine might be out because I never noticed it....what size bulb???

Quoted from Edenecho:

I wired the led ring to the 555 bulb inside the flask, I think it will take away from the effect if the flask is lit all the time. Now, it REALLY pops (pun..) when you get super pops. A shame the super pops is only lasting for a short time, I initially thought it would be on for the rest of the ball.

So can you just remove the flask by itself or do you need to remove anything else. I tried with the screws on top first but no luck...to nervous to proceed without further researching.

These machines all look great guys keep up the good work!

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from Stal8080:

So there is actually a bulb somewhere inside of the Flukeman???? Mine might be out because I never noticed it....what size bulb???

haha no, its not, I just soldered on a bulbbase and wires and tried it No luck.

Quoted from Stal8080:

So can you just remove the flask by itself or do you need to remove anything else. I tried with the screws on top first but no luck...to nervous to proceed without further researching.

I had taken off all ramps and everything to top shop it, but of what I recall there is only a couple of screws that you need to take out. there is a wire harness going into the flask but im sure you can pull it out a little. Was abit more PITA to get the alien screwed back together but aboslutely doable

There are 909 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 19.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside