Got the machine yesterday, figured I'd give an update, maybe get some suggestions.
- Playfield is in really good condition. Some worn spots, but nothing terrible. There's a couple clear stickers near the bumpers by the flippers that are peeling ever so slightly, and have some brown spots under the peeling spots (more on that below).
- The balls need to be replaced. I already have some on-hand that are magnet-resistant.
- The rubber all looks good, but I'm going to replace it anyways. I bought a full set of silicone replacements.
- My parents couldn't find the keys. We picked the backbox easily, but the vault door was too hard for the tools we had, so we just drilled it out. Once we got the door open, we found the keys to the backbox, so that's good. Does anyone know the right replacement for the vault lock? Or some other way to nicely secure the door? I don't expect I'll be charging people to play.
- Having been in a New England basement for 20 years, there's definitely mold (which is what I expect is under the peeling stickers on the playfield). There was some mold spots from moisture under the glass, which cleaned off easily. However, the wood on the inside of the cabinet seems to be where most of the mold settled. Nothing too bad, but the bottom of the cabinet is sagging a bit, probably from moisture absorption and the weight of the transformer sitting on it. Luckily, the underside of the playfield seems to be unaffected. Any suggestions on what can be done? I expect the mold smell to go away after a few months of being in California, but it should probably still be cleaned or something, right?
- The adjustable feet are rusted really bad. I'm going to replace them, but dont know the best way to get them off. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone know the exact size of the feet?
And now for the coup de grace:
I turned the machine on and it flashed "OPEN THE DOOR" at me. This was before we drilled out the vault lock. After opening up the backbox, I found there were batteries still installed (as expected). Luckily, they somehow hadn't leaked after 20 years! But, not wanting to play around with batteries, I took them out and put in the NVRAM chip I bought to replace the existing 64K CMOS. Well, I apparently put it in upside-down because the machine refused to do anything after that (and the +5V LED on the PCBs were all out). So, feeling regret, I put the CMOS back in with some new batteries. Whelp, being the idiot that I am, I didn't take a picture of how the RAM was installed to begin with, and promptly fried that, too. So, needless to say, I ordered two more NVRAM replacements which are on the way. Hopefully I'll put one of them in the right way this time.
EDIT: Suggestions to "be less of an idiot" will fall on deaf ears. I've been trying for many years and it's just not happening.