20231116_213838 (resized).jpg
20231116_203253 (resized).jpg
20231116_210301 (resized).jpg
20231116_203240 (resized).jpg
20231108_163259 (resized).jpg
20231108_163305 (resized).jpg
20231108_163308 (resized).jpg
20231108_163326 (resized).jpg
There are 1,149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 23.
#1 9 years ago

I've read some pretty bad things and some pretty good things in regard to this title. I like hard games, and many of the complaints seem to be the lack of flow at times ( because of the narrow left ramp) and the difficulty in general of the game.

I do not like games like Iron Man and Gilligans Island with unbalanced scoring, where a 30-50 million point score gets dumped on you for completing something while the rest of the shots score peanuts.
Is X-Files scoring balanced?

Being a Sega doesn't bother me and the difficulty doesn't scare me. What are some other concerns or thoughts?

thanks

138192.jpg138192.jpg

#2 9 years ago

I just picked up a nice X-Files yesterday. Unfortunately it's too early for me to comment much on the gameplay. I like it so far. I love the theme too, so that helps. I think it's a lot of game for the money.

#3 9 years ago

I believe there aren't any unbalanced scores in X Files.

There are 8 missions in X-Files. Each mission is started by shooting the right ramp 3 times and then the trapdoor. Along with the missions, there are several progressive rewards and 2 multiball modes - one from shooting the file cabinet and another from making every major shot.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from mikeatsparkys:

I just picked up a nice X-files yesterday

Me too lol,
Did some tweaks, everything seems to be playing well. So far I'm really digging it, I like the challenge of getting the modes, the ramps are super tight and feel great to hit and are easy to miss.

I'm trying to figure out what builds your bonus. I got the 8x max at the top lanes, the next completion of the rollovers lit extra ball at the right ramp. When I drained my ball I only had 400,000 with 8x bonus!? I know an earlier game I had maybe a 2x bonus and a million or so, so I'm curious to know what builds it. I know the f-b-i targets on each side build jackpot and truth shots value.

''Manhole'' shot is neat, little touches like the magnet in front of the cabinet and the alien that lights during super pops.

The scoring is spot on, you earn it. The first multiball is easy, the second not so much, and neither are getting the super jackpots.

I don't know, I think it's a very cool, fun pin and I don't see that opinion changing. It's been dogged down so bad, it made me curious. It's a real shooters game. Sure, you can bang off a lot of posts, but that's because of poor shooting. I can see many players with a lower skill set having a very difficult, frustrating time with this one but personally I enjoy the challenge

#5 9 years ago

I played this at a friend's house only a few times. I am not a great shooter, so this one frustrates me to no end. My wife, who usually just flips for the heck of it, lit the machine up and now she wants one. I guess that'll be the next pin.

#6 9 years ago

The game does a good job of making you feel like you're playing poorly because those ramps are tough to hit and the gameplay scores low. Combine that with timed modes, it becomes frustrating for many I'm sure.

#7 9 years ago

Being that it's on the lower end of price for a dmd game, it's a nice step up from my current pinside cheapskate collection. I'm sure as I got better at it I would appreciate it more.

#8 9 years ago

I'm diggin mine. Lots to do for the money. Ramps feel fun and rewarding when hit.some games are duds and alot of post bashing, but when you get a good game going this pin is as fun as any out there. Light show blinds you at times. Didn't like sound at first and seemed lacking, but it has grown on me. The magnet is implemented well. The loop in the middle is fast and furious. Hate the shape of the back box but the graphic is pretty cool. I was never a fan of the show, however I might have to check out cuz if it's anything like the game it's gotta be good.

#9 9 years ago

Of all the machines I have sold I miss the xfiles the most! Really strange game with great music! The only complains I had were the soundclips and the lack of a way to see how many missions you have completed.

A great underdog pin.

Greetings,

Bas

#10 9 years ago

My friend came over today to play, as he's a big fan of the show. He said it really does justice to the show, and liked the episodes for modes. Again, we both noted and agreed/understood why so many have dumped on this game, because there are a lot of dink and donk shots off the posts if you're not accurate, and to many this is a huge turn off. There really is no room for error with these ramps. We look at it like ''shoot better'' and when we did, it felt rewarding and great to nail the tough ramps.

Got to the wizard mode BLOOD today....was pretty rad I say, prettyyyy rad

dumped out a bunch of balls with ball saver for around 45 seconds/minute, every shot built the super Jackpot, which I cashed out at the cabinet for 5 million and change...not bad. DMD read KILL KILL KILL>>>>>
lol

#11 9 years ago

I have for sale on craiglist for 1700 in Oklahoma if anyone is interested in one. Fun game but have never watched the show so means very little to me.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I'm trying to figure out what builds your bonus. I got the 8x max at the top lanes, the next completion of the rollovers lit extra ball at the right ramp. When I drained my ball I only had 400,000 with 8x bonus!? I know an earlier game I had maybe a 2x bonus and a million or so, so I'm curious to know what builds it.

pretty damn sure each hit to "Scully" and "Mulder" targets add 10,000 to the bonus.

Nothing unbalanced in the scoring at all, no double your score or 100,000,000 point shot. even the super jackpots aren't that many points and take about 10 timed shots to get...nothing easy about it.

I love the game, glad haters kept the price cheap so I could land one!

#13 9 years ago

It's balanced. If you're a fan of the show like me it may be a keeper. The right combination of LEDs and a smoke machine makes this machine uber cool in a dimly lit game room.

#14 9 years ago

Pm sent lego

#15 9 years ago

Use the force to keep making the left ramp!

#16 9 years ago

can an owner scan me their fbi badge plastics? mine are missing

#17 9 years ago

heard good things? From where? The sales flyer at Sega?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

heard good things? From where? The sales flyer at Sega?

sorry, it doesn't have a center ramp for kids like mousin' around

#19 9 years ago

doesn't have mouse traps, good call outs, good layout either. or good anything. Artwork, sounds and overall design is horrible. It's the ONLY time i've played a game on route and wanted to stop playing in the middle of ball 2. Luckily a bulb fell out from somewhere and was rolling around on the field. If it wasn't for that to entertain me hitting with the ball, I would have walked away. But the dedication I had to try and get that bulb jammed up somewhere in the machine, made it worth while to play all 3 balls. dont' worry, xfiles is not alone. It's tied with SF2 as the worst DMD ever made in the history of pinball.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

doesn't have mouse traps, good call outs, good layout either. or good anything. Artwork, sounds and overall design is horrible. It's the ONLY time i've played a game on route and wanted to stop playing in the middle of ball 2. Luckily a bulb fell out from somewhere and was rolling around on the field. If it wasn't for that to entertain me hitting with the ball, I would have walked away. But the dedication I had to try and get that bulb jammed up somewhere in the machine, made it worth while to play all 3 balls. dont' worry, xfiles is not alone. It's tied with SF2 as the worst DMD ever made in the history of pinball.

Mousin' might have a decent layout with some fun shots, but it's a painfully easy and boring game.

SF2? bleh...no interest.

X-files has cool modes with a very fun wizard mode, the shots are fast, most of the music/sounds are also superb.
I truly believe this game gets a bad rap because people just can't flow and shoot it like other pins. It's a true shooters pin, the average player will feel like they're banging their head against a wall. One on route with weak flippers or something not working wouldn't be fun either.

I enjoy trying to chip away the modes while throwing in a truth multiball/cabinet multiball, the challenge of getting to blood...good stuff imho.

#21 9 years ago

Haters just need to take their time and get some more practice. Take Nadia For instance. She prefers a challenge, and has gotten quite good at it. Boring?? Come on far from it.

20141105_094418.jpg20141105_094418.jpg
#22 9 years ago

Totally reccomend adding the blue DMD, love the look. This is from xpin. I have some other mods in a post I update every here and there...image.jpgimage.jpg

#23 9 years ago

X-files was our families first pin. It's a theme that the wife and I enjoy, and it's been a great start to the collection. We absolutely love it. It's nice seeing some good feedback, there's plenty there to enjoy. If I can be of any help, let me know!

I love the stereo mod for it. There's a lot of other great mods to be found as well.

Glenn

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Mousin' might have a decent layout with some fun shots, but it's a painfully easy and boring game.
SF2? bleh...no interest.
X-files has cool modes with a very fun wizard mode, the shots are fast, most of the music/sounds are also superb.
I truly believe this game gets a bad rap because people just can't flow and shoot it like other pins. It's a true shooters pin, the average player will feel like they're banging their head against a wall. One on route with weak flippers or something not working wouldn't be fun either.
I enjoy trying to chip away the modes while throwing in a truth multiball/cabinet multiball, the challenge of getting to blood...good stuff imho.

Easy? How many jackpots have you gotten during multiball? It's insanely hard to score that jackpot. In fact, during league, not one person got the jackpot in practice or league. I only do it about 5% of the time.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Ha ha funny, but that honor goes to Popeye.

#26 9 years ago

Nope Popeyes is a good game. I always pick it for our league finals and most everyone changes there opinions once they see what's they are supposed to do.

I enjoyed xfikes. Bowling a,key down the street from me has one(even think it's FS). AlwYs had am issue or two and they wouldn't let me fix it. In fact last time I played it the game only could locate one ball. You started multivalve and nothing happened!

-Jim

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Easy? How many jackpots have you gotten during multiball? It's insanely hard to score that jackpot. In fact, during league, not one person got the jackpot in practice or league. I only do it about 5% of the time.

That Jackpot is not that difficult, and not worth going for imho. People ranked in the top 200 I've played with cringe at having to play a Mousin' Around, because all the points come from that center ramp. A gentlemans agreement is sometimes asked before hand, ''exploit ramp or no?''

At papa, they put monster rubber at that ramp to stop this exploit. Not saying Mousin' is a bad game at all, but I'd personally rather play X-files 99 out of a 100 times if given the chance in an everyday type setting, based on the toughness, modes and wizard mode it offers.
In a tournament, I would personally choose Mousin' if everything was game on, because I destroy that game.

#28 9 years ago

It was my first pin. I loved it... then I hated it....and now I want one back again. It's absolutely a love hate relationship for me with this one.

I think it's a good pin for a collection, but perhaps not the best standalone pin in the world. I would grab one up if I could find one for a decent price.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ha ha funny, but that honor goes to Popeye.

actually Popeye isn't a bad game at all. HAs a ton of inventive ideas, good solid ruleset and lots of unique features.

As for mousin around, like many other system 11's, the software has glitches that have to be addressed in a tournament setting. Remember your comparing a preDMD game (which is usually looked down upon as inferior to the unknowning) to a DMD which is suppose to be better and more advanced. If using mousin around for tournament, the center ramp switch has to be disconnected. It's stated in the game tournament guidelines for IFPA. Most system 11's have problems in tournament settings. Fire is darn right unplayable by more than one person in any competitive play. SOF, WW, ES. All of them allow stealing ball locks, but yet all them games are 10x's more fun, better art, better call outs and better layout than Xfiles. So xfiles is Segas bottom of the barrel turd. SF2 is Gottliebs. RS is Sterns. I'd have to say NBAFB would have to be Ballys. and williams is hurricane.

#30 9 years ago

Not a fan of mousing around but I'd take SOF, WW or ES over XF myself, RS is not made by Stern though.

#32 9 years ago

I had to come here to ask the fans what do you think about these custom cabinet decals:
x-files cabinet preview.jpgx-files cabinet preview.jpg

What do you guys think?

#33 9 years ago

Is there a way to make it sound better? I have always found the sound quality to be pretty awful!

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Cursed:

Is there a way to make it sound better? I have always found the sound quality to be pretty awful!

I think you can jump in another speaker in the backbox. Mine sounds really good but I've also added a Polk Subwoofer.

#35 9 years ago

We've had ours for around 4 years now and it's not going anywhere!
http://vidiotarcade.com/x-files.html

#36 9 years ago

From Mono to Stereo. I've done this on X-files and Star Wars Trilogy.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/speaker/index.html

#37 9 years ago

I customized the sound on Starship troopers ,because it was so high pitched that the bugs would pierce your ears. So I added 2 4" woofers to the head. Added a L-pad to it and put a better woofer in the cabinet. then it sounded awesome.

#38 9 years ago

Nice to see some fellow X-Files fans here. Just curious to see what you guys have your leveling legs set at?? Currently my are all the way up in back and all down in front....thought I saw somewhere that was recommendation just wondering.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Stal8080:

Just curious to see what you guys have your leveling legs set at??

They game is hard as hell. OP are you sure you have it steep enough?

I was super excited to get mine but it got old fast. Everyone needs to own it for a few months first. It is fun and exciting at first and you think that everyone who hates it is nuts. But slowly but surely you start to dislike it as well.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

They game is hard as hell. OP are you sure you have it steep enough?

oh yeah, she's steep enough. Been to ''Blood'' twice, it's hard for sure.

I can understand it growing stale or whatever, but so can any system 11. You just have to approach X-files for what it is, and not expect it to be like a Williams/Bally from this era

#41 9 years ago

I loved my X-files while I had it. The ramps are tight but that keeps it challenging, I think a lot of people don't know how to play the game and focus on the file cab too much.

Only thing I didn't like about it is that stupid cab design it stood out so much in my line up I ended up selling it - still kind of regret that. If it was in a reg cab or if I would have been able to put it alone somewhere in my game room I would still own it.(what a stupid reason to sell thinking back)

#42 9 years ago

system 11's don't get stale at all. In fact a lot of them are better than the B/W DMD's. I'd take a ES over JM any day. SOF over JM, Popeye, Black rose, DM, FT, RS, NGG, NBAFB, GI, ect.... Era of games doesn't make it stale. Crappy layout and rules make a game stale.

#43 9 years ago

This game is fantastic!! It's difficult and with a lot of missions and good shots!!

#44 9 years ago

I really like my X files. Has anyone made a overlay for the magnet spot that gets worn.

#45 9 years ago

Nay sayers - quit crapping in a fan thread, it's not the place.

Seriously, for each game there are people that think it's the worst out there, and those that think it's the best, and that rings true for every machine, but in these type of threads, it's not the place to discuss the negative or start pissing on other machines.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Nay sayers - quit crapping in a fan thread, it's not the place.
Seriously, for each game there are people that think it's the worst out there, and those that think it's the best, and that rings true for every machine, but in these type of threads, it's not the place to discuss the negative or start pissing on other machines.

Funny, I was just about to say "Isn't this a thread for fans of the X-Files?". Ha!

#47 9 years ago

What is Blood mode like? I was never able to get there.

#48 9 years ago

I'm a fan. Had mine about 5 yrs. like the theme and gm is fun. I agree someone said people focus to much on the file cab. That's not the whole gm! Fun!

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

I'm a fan. Had mine about 5 yrs. like the theme and gm is fun. I agree someone said people focus to much on the file cab. That's not the whole gm! Fun!

I do not focus at all on the cabinet, but it's usually there for the taking, if I want some multiball points with little effort.

Quoted from captainadam_21:

What is Blood mode like? I was never able to get there.

Blood mode is a multiball that lasts about 45 seconds or so, where it keeps feeding balls to the playfield. Everything scores, the dmd says ''kill'' all over it,
I think it builds up all your shots and then you cash them at the cabinet, but I'm not 100% on that. The first time I got there, I seemed to have cashed out a 5 million plus jackpot, the second time I did not see this, though I thought I had done similar.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from mjpinballs:

I really like my X Files. Has anyone made a overlay for the magnet spot that gets worn.

I could not find the factory fix for mine that a putty and rolled steel so I patched the hole with JB weld which is very hard but can be sanded and painted and then put mylar over it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 1,149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-and-rules-to-x-files/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.