Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ypurchn
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 20fb8624774048ae5f65c2ebc4120030 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stangbat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

In my opinion it is going to die after this current wave of popularity. This was fueled by the 50 up crowd reaching back to familiar things. There are not enough site-placed machines, tournaments or frankly young people to keep it going.
    The machines being created and re-introduced are not tough as the Bally-Williams, nor Operator friendly with easily replaced parts. They are in a way "Disposable" machines, with built in obsolescence, no schematics provided to the customer, and limited production for replacement parts, including price-gouging replacement boards.
    Of course pinball will live on in some fashion with EM and SS machines as long as The Pinball Resource continues and Altek makes boards.
    A recent thread highlighting thousands of once-common electronics parts no longer being produced is a big sign.

I kind of agree on some points and kind of disagree on some.

I operate games at two locations and run a monthly tournament. We have a few high school kids that regularly play and most of the players are in the mid-30s range. So there is a bit of young blood out there.

I do think we'll probably see a downturn at some point, but I don't anticipate death. I don't think the current number of boutique manufacturers can be sustained long term, but I think we'll always have new games.

Regarding obsolescence of parts and lack of schematics, the counter argument is it has never been easier to figure things out and produce replacement parts. It is amazingly easy to design, prototype, and produce replacement boards and parts. In the last 5+ years we've seen tons of individuals reverse engineer stuff and sell replacement parts. It is only going to get easier as time goes on.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stangbat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-after-years-offline?tu=stangbat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.