Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ypurchn
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 20fb8624774048ae5f65c2ebc4120030 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 3 years ago

I remember the days before pinball was discussed online.

Each game that showed up on route was a surprise, and in many cases presented itself as a mirror of culture or subculture as it was happening in the present, with a few nods to the past, sometimes the long past. In those days there was a sense of balance and at the same time some irreverence which is what attracted players and made them cool wherever they were located.

Fast forward to the present day, where it is home collectors with their dream themes discussed online that largely determine what games will be made, and that pretty much takes whatever cool and creativity there was about pinball and throws it all away. Perhaps better than letting pinball die altogether, but on the other hand perhaps not.

Somewhere, I'd imagine, there is a happy medium where greedy manufacturers and selfish home collectors can meet, and make pinball cool again. But in reality, except maybe in the far corners of the industry, that is a dream that will probably never happen and pinball will die anyway. Unfortunately with that death, it will leave an embarrassing legacy unlike if it had already died years ago.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I just don't think many young people care for pinball.

Maybe if they were to slap a theme on one that would pull them in, it might spark their interest a little more than what their dad or grandpappy might be into. And I'm not talking about some Toy Story as those kids have already grown up and it is mostly their parents with the nostalgic kick on themes like that.

Of course there is always some one that will prove me wrong showing a six year old kid having the time of their life on one of these not so currently themed games, but then again when my daughter was six she thought that 70s retro pop station was pretty cool. Shame they have to grow up and decide for themselves what cool more fits their generation.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I think you are 100% correct with respect to a modern theme, but what would it be? That is the $64,000 question.

At that age they can turn anti anything their parents like. So don't expect them to jump up and down about what you are or used to be into. In fact, expect them to avoid it.

All you gotta do is ask your teenage daughter. When I asked mine a couple years ago, she said Suicide Squad as that was the movie currently in theaters that her and her friends were going to see, and were all raving about. But again that is two or so years ago so they have probably moved onto something else since then.

You gotta strike while the coals are hot so to speak, and now pinball can't even do that with newer shows and movies like they used to. It takes them too long to decide if it will be profitable or not. Not like the days when the pinball and movie release coincided with each other.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

As a 20 year old dude, I can assure you, very few people under 30 are into pinball. Of those I know, I can count them on my fingers.
    I wish it wasn't the case.
    My friends would rather play video games. Women would rather see me do pretty much anything else. My mom would rather see me spend money on pretty much anything else.
    It's a dying hobby after this rush, no doubt.

As a 20 year old with probably a fairly fresh outlook compared to those that pinball seems to be geared to these days, what would you like to see as far as pinball themes, and what could they do to catch the eye of other people around your age if that is even possible?

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

Just like America, pinball is already pretty fucking cool.

Almost as cool as driving a Tesla. We should all drive Teslas.

And all restaurants should be Taco Bell.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If Stern had taken your daughter's advice and built a Suicide Squad game - you know that movie was a gigantic bomb, right, came and went in two weeks

Perhaps. But so might have GOTG if they had released the game when the movie came out. You are right though, they aren't stupid enough to take those kind of chances like they used to. Wait a few years and see if there is a profit to be made is smart business.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They'll be making Iron-man related movies for years. They'll be making GOTG movies for years. They'll be making Hulk movies for years. Dino rock bands will be selling tickets and music for years.

Sure, but when will we see the next pinball game where they actually have the foresight to release it when the theme is new? Oh yeah, the answer is probably never.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

If I told my daughters I'd give them $100 if they could name the title of a pinball machine I've owned in the last 5 years. There were quite a few. I'd probably be keeping my money.

My daughter got hooked at a young age when I gave her the Big Daddy challenge. She fought that thing for hours and hours until she finally pulled it off.

But even now she is kind of particular about the games she plays. She says "keep the Big Daddy, Stars, and TNA" And I don't really have a problem with that. She has good taste.

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Hmmmm...who are they gearing these machines for? Let's see what's coming up....Munsters, Beatles, Monster Bash, Elvira, Willy Wonka, Jaws.

Ya know Ted, that's a real good question, but it certainly wouldn't be me. Of course those making these games are a little older than I am so I guess it makes perfect sense.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

You're exactly right Levi. Stern had managed to keep the train on the rails for 18 years. Whatever they're doing, they're doing the right things. We can all be fans and wish for certain themes, but if Stern keeps making 'em, I'll keep playing 'em.

Yes as one of their number one fanboys, his opinion should not be discounted. How many of these games he actually buys is another story.

But for the last five years or so, Stern has struck gold with a combination of the economy being solid, the home collector market growing, and old rich dudes longing for themes from the past. And some of the other companies have followed suit.

It may not be for everyone like myself, but it must be profitable enough to get them into a larger facility, and keep them churning them out one after another. At this point in the game, it's whatever works and keeps the money flowing in. If the economy takes a turn like it did ten years ago, that may change, so not a bad idea to make as much money as you can while you can.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

Except that GOTG isn't a good pin.

Sure, I could only play one game on it before I'd had enough. Of course I felt the same way about Iron Maiden, Kiss, Aerosmith, and a few others.

But as long as others find them entertaining and they can sell them, that should help keep them in business.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I don't see this hobby dying.

The hobby will still be here long after the industry dies, that is a given.

What's not certain is how long this industry of new machines will survive. I see it dying a painful, pitiful death when that time comes, as sales of Doogie Howser don't meet anywhere near what was projected and the economy itself is once again in the tank.

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

SO you think we'll only be down to say, 6 pinball companies instead of 15?

Or are we talking serious contraction and it's just Stern and JJP again?

Or do you think we'll be down to JUST Stern again, pumping out poop like NBA?

Or do you think it's all over and the industry is nothing but a rotting corpse?!?!!

I think what we are seeing now is an anomaly in the history of pinball. Game sales must be at an all time high since the mid 90s. Eventually there are going to be so many machines and not enough new interest or money and there will be no where to put them all. So fire sales will abound as people try to get some of their money back to ride out the next impending economic downturn. New game buying will be the last thing on many people's mind as the economic crisis continues on. Who will survive? I can't predict how bad it will be, how long it will last, or who will. But I think I'll get by. You probably will too.

#101 3 years ago

As far as when this next economic downturn might happen, that's real hard to predict. It could be tomorrow, but more likely we might have a better feel for it come November 2020.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside