Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ypurchn
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 20fb8624774048ae5f65c2ebc4120030 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Notpinhead:

I understand LE puts extra dollars in the pinball industry. However, it is hard to believe the LE tag when there are thousands of the sister model.

People like to collect things that are rare or limited. I know a few collectors who only buy LE models. And I know a few collectors who mostly just buy pro models. Different products for different types of collectors.

Quoted from Notpinhead:

Maybe it is, in some way, the TAF of these days.

Well, not nearly as many GB's were made. Buyers/operators were simply trying to capitalize on the recognition and nostalgia of the GB theme--plus it was the timing when pinball manufacturing was on the upswing and operators started taking notice of the rise in popularity. However, I've noticed a lot of collectors don't tend to keep GB for too long, and the come up for sale fairly often. So, it doesn't seem to have much staying power in a collection.

Quoted from lurch:

All of what Phil-Lee said is 1000% accurate.

I disagree with many of his points.

Quoted from phil-lee:

In my opinion it is going to die after this current wave of popularity.

While I agree there will probably be a downturn at some point (as with most things), I doubt there will be a total collapse (as long as there aren't any other outside world-changing factors).

Quoted from phil-lee:

This was fueled by the 50 up crowd reaching back to familiar things. There are not enough site-placed machines, tournaments or frankly young people to keep it going.

A lot of younger Gen X'ers and a good number of millennials are jumping in. It's not just limited to 50+. At the show I just hosted, there was a good range of ages in attendance. I've been noticing a shift at other shows to where younger people are visiting.

Location games have been increasing a little bit, but it's not an explosion.

Quoted from phil-lee:

They are in a way "Disposable" machines, with built in obsolescence, no schematics provided to the customer, and limited production for replacement parts, including price-gouging replacement boards.

Not *all* manufacturers are doing this.

Heck, all the classic games were only meant to be in operation for 3-5 years before they were tossed out. It's only been through the dedication of collectors and long-term operators the games have survived.

Quoted from phil-lee:

Of course pinball will live on in some fashion with EM and SS machines as long as The Pinball Resource continues and Altek makes boards.

There are several other suppliers than just PBR. And several other board makers supplying after market boards.

Quoted from phil-lee:

A recent thread highlighting thousands of once-common electronics parts no longer being produced is a big sign.

Yes, it is concerning that obsolete parts are ceasing to be produced. But it's not a surprise considering some parts have been in active production for 20, 30, 40 or even 50 years. But, there are still sizable stockpiles left, so it's not a mad scramble yet. Aftermarket boards have already been produced for certain sound boards that used specific sound chips have been NLA for a long time. Heck, there are two different companies producing aftermarket MPUs for gottlieb system 1--the original boards have chips that have been NLA for decades. I imagine other boards will be reproduced in the future if sourcing components for original boards starts becoming a problem. Techs, engineers, and designers are creative problem solvers.

Quoted from phil-lee:

The only saving grace at the moment is the insanely high prices on new machines, not a lot have to be built to see a profit. I sense that a lot of people are starting to balk. How long will it last?

I wouldn't consider that a "saving grace". The price point is simply the manufactures trying to maximize their profit. Most manufacturers make their money on mass production, rather than individual units. The pinball industry is a bit unusual.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I think pinball will continue on but an increase in interest is just an illusion created by 40 and 50 year old men with money driving the prices up trying to put a piece of their youth in the basement gameroom.

Demand and limited supply are what I think are driving prices up. It's been harder and harder for me to find project games--both because there are fewer of them out there and that competition for them is fierce.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-after-years-offline?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.