Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ypurchn
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 20fb8624774048ae5f65c2ebc4120030 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brijam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 5 years ago

Pinball is fundamentally an entertainment product. It should be compared to other forms of entertainment, not a pure collectible market. It is ludicrous to compare pinball to beanie babies.

As long as people gather to drink alcohol in public places, there will be a market for pinball. Pinball is a unique entertainment form, since nearly all of them work the same way: two buttons and a plunger. You can be drunk AF and still have fun. You can play alone and nobody will shame you for it, or you can have a blast with friends or strangers.

There are also millions more Americans alive now than in the 1990s when pinball was in its golden age. Until we stop producing humans at a rate less than we are dying, on pure numbers alone the hobby will grow.

Sure, demand for new machines is very likely to drop when the next economic downturn comes. Some pinball companies will likely go under. But entertainment use, particularly cheap entertainment, always goes up during economic downturns.

Old pinball machines /may/ become less valuable. Maybe. EM's are very cheap compared to SS and DMD, maybe the floor will fall on SS prices, then DMD prices as LCD games become the norm. But this has nothing to do with the popularity of pinball.

I also totally agree that parts will /always/ be available as long as we have an Internet. The cost to create replacement parts keeps getting cheaper.

By the way, most people who play my pins on location are under 30.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

make pinball cool again

Just like America, pinball is already pretty fucking cool.

Quoted from Mike_J:

My teenage daughter had a party at our home last week for 30 or 40 of her high school friends.
    IM, Metallica Pro and Premium and Hobbit got around 10 plays over 6 hours.

Yeah because cyborg men, 70's metal, and dragons are what teenage girls are into?

Look, nobody in their right mind would design pinball for a teenage girl. They're not the demographic, and they never will be. This proves nothing at all.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Almost as cool as driving a Tesla. We should all drive Teslas.

And here I thought you'd never see the light. O-din, I'm so proud of you!

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from Anonymouse:

I thought that girls love dragons. How else can you explain why GOT is so popular?

You mean with women? It's because the show focuses on relationships and has many extremely strong female leads.

Girls love the right kind of dragons - the kind they can control. These dragons are metaphors for men, right? Thus Daenerys Targaryen's control over her dragons symbolizes her control over men - that's literally her story, and it is compelling as hell for women.

The dragon in the Hobbit is the antithesis of the kind of dragon girls like. In The Hobbit, the dragon was a metaphor for greed. Plus, the Hobbit tanked in the box office.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

There were 15-20 boys and 15-20 girls.
    It proves that 30-35 of those kids find pinball to be much less exciting than SuperChexx, air hockey and PacMan.

That's what I said.

You're trying to say that because these teenagers prefer Pac Man right now over pinball that pinball will fail when they grow up? That's a mighty leap.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps. But so might have GOTG if they had released the game when the movie came out. You are right though, they aren't stupid enough to take those kind of chances like they used to. Wait a few years and see if there is a profit to be made is smart business.

Except that GOTG isn't a good pin. All that a well known theme does is insure quarter drops from casual players who don't know the difference between a good pin and a mediocre one, so it insulates the operator. That's smart business.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sure, I could only play one game on it before I'd had enough. Of course I felt the same way about Iron Maiden, Kiss, Aerosmith, and a few others.
    But as long as others find them entertaining and they can sell them, that should help keep them in business.

On that I can agree with you 100%.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brijam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-after-years-offline?tu=brijam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.