Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10292523_882626048422659_532068485866749595_n.jpg
Coins.jpg
hobbit-playfield.jpg
AFM TH.jpg
AttackFromMars.jpg
Hobbit-uk_thorin_erebor_hbfa-peter-jackson-and-the-hobbits-prepare-for-battle-with-new-posters.jpeg
2-peter-jackson-and-the-hobbits-prepare-for-battle-with-new-posters.jpeg
1-peter-jackson-and-the-hobbits-prepare-for-battle-with-new-posters.jpeg
image-11.jpg
Disney-7-dwarfs.jpg
swarfs-452.jpg
image-953.jpg
51633.jpg
51633.jpg
image_1.jpg
6823.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 9 years ago

The problem with the Hobbit playfield art isn't that it's Photo vs. cartoon...or even the colors. It's just...empty. It's just a whole lot of nothing. It looks boring. I know it's subjective, but I'm a big fan of the LOTR playfield art...I think it tells you a lot of information in a limited space, with good composition, "action lines" on the shots, main characters (I like how the fellowship inserts are above their respective characters near the middle of the PF), the armies rushing at the bottom by the flippers, and lots of other little tidbits...it's very organic and classy looking, IMO...one of my favorite "photoshopped" playfields for sure. The mountain, dragon and SKY SKY SKY with little heads off to the sides on Hobbit playfield just don't work. I think some more interesting and dynamic work could have been done on the playfield with Smaug & the various characters. Maybe the thought was that the LCD would be telling you the story with Smaug & the characters....but still, you want an attractive playfield to look at while you're playing. It's just weird that an 11 year old Stern game looks better...from the same licensor, no less - so I don't think it's quite fair to blame them in this instance. They approved it, but they didn't design it.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Hmmm...same thing can be said about AFM as one example...empty! It's amazing that most 20 year old games look better than most of the recent games too. Just sayin'.

Disagree. AFM's artwork is clear, bold, cohesive, graphic, and is composed well. There are action lines on all the shots. Sure, the layout is "open" and "empty"...but, it's not a widebody...Hobbit's openness on a widebody coupled with the "empty" art gives it a negative visual double whammy.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I almost feel for all pin manufacturers when even AFM is seen as boring.
If you really think that, you should quit pinball and go base jumping or something like that.

Well here's the thing - if a machine accomplishes what it sets out to do -create a fun world under glass - it doesn't matter if it's "empty" or "full". A game can be super simple like AFM or IM...or ultra complex like TZ or JD ...as long as what's there is fun and the player enjoys it, there's no "right way" to design a game. Sometimes less is more. Sometimes more is more. If it works, it works! Finding that "magic" must be extremely difficult for designers...I'm not sure they even know the secret behind it...they try their best, and if it resonates, success!

That being said, I think current manufacturers are expected to provide "more" due to the price models of today.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thought-on-the-hobbit-art-and-theme?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.