(Topic ID: 326543)

SOLVED: Those darn kids killed my Meteor, can't get any power...

By DakotaMike

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

76B7B7EA-9108-45DD-B203-CC116DDD0DB5.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superchicken.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I will next time I'm back at the location. I know that you need to pull them to be 100 percent sure, but never fully understood why. Since the fuse tested good, and didn't visually look blown to me, I wanted to save stress on the fuse holders.

Appreciate the advice. I'll be following those steps when I go back.

Yeah, our location has cameras and when I went back and reviewed the footage I wanted to cry. We have plenty of new Sterns and JJPs that would probably have been okay with that abuse. But they picked our oldest game to do that to. Probably because it was the cheapest game at 50 cents-a-play.

The kids are not the issue here. Pressing flipper buttons is a core function that you literally can do all day long if everything is working. It is likely the 40 year old components, connectors and header pins on the power board and/or end-of-stroke switches on the flippers. Blown fuses are a symptom of other issues.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

That being said, I do agree that an older fuse and aging components would contribute to a fuse blowing earlier. But the fuses blow to protect the game, so a fuse blowing is technically a good thing.

Early Sterns have issues with the power. Pull the connectors off and flip them over. If you see burnt or melted connectors that is the pins turning into resistors. Whenever I get a new old Stern game, first thing I do is rebuild the power and replace the connectors in the cabinet. I have found that you have to spend the money and get the correct crimper.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from schudel5:

That's not a flipper fuse. That protects all solenoids on the playfield except for the flippers.

Thanks. I've never had to replace one, just assumed it was for flippers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superchicken.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/those-darn-kids-killed-my-meteor-can-t-get-any-power?tu=superchicken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.