1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 287 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 38 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mockup-4b4a8c8e_1024x1024@2x.png
    IMG_20191006_1107101 2.jpg
    7EFB02CC-4334-40E6-8193-D0C84BD172F9 (resized).jpeg
    44424CA2-3419-4B87-AC54-48C8D246E907 (resized).jpeg
    ADFE1821-BC36-4D9E-91B8-77C09109B0E1 (resized).jpeg
    DB30BF25-4497-4CA3-97AC-35074716C16A (resized).jpeg
    936456A6-E36D-4F94-8224-18D59274A4C6 (resized).png
    0BC07B6F-12F3-419B-9FDF-2228A261600A (resized).jpeg
    9429BA50-5207-40B4-A2B8-6DEC341066EC (resized).jpeg
    EC4B3AE5-C077-43F2-BFA0-AA6629C5B8E2 (resized).jpeg
    7EB37A61-B4DE-4680-B9E6-9E5A4F5A5C72 (resized).jpeg
    B90D2107-1214-4D65-BFE7-552017BAC42D (resized).jpeg
    2E846F27-F84B-47D5-9331-158D29ECD84C (resized).jpeg
    CB351F62-7C6F-4671-A73E-E360CD477973 (resized).jpeg
    3B8E3833-1533-461D-B421-24FFA9605B6A (resized).jpeg
    71219AA5-3013-4D85-AAF6-0D40833A6945 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dennisk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 1 year ago

Good job, I enjoyed the segment structure, the audio volume was solid and well-balanced between the two hosts, and it had nice pacing as well!

1 month later
    #32 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Always fun to go toe-to-toe with this guy! A lot of good debate and discussion on this week’s list of pinball news.

Thanks for having me on. The debate was better than my voice work!

1 week later
    #37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Koos:

"Koos Goos" is sooo happy with his new pin!
    Thanks for not doing a redraw Jeff!!

That could have been a flaming pile of Back to the Future. But, ultimately, it is better to create than destroy!

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Koos:

I won't get much satisfaction on looking at a burning pinball machine. Not even if it's Back to the Future.

Precisely. Zach, let your anger go, recognize Back to the Future as a real (yet disappointing) pinball machine, and allow it to transition to its place in history (allowing you to dream about Goonies or Princess Bride instead!).

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I’ll never let go. Back To The Future has a stain that will not go away until a Data East is sacrificed or the property is picked up and made again.

Just accept and trust what the marketing flyer says. It'll be more fun for you!

backfutureposter (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #58 1 year ago
    Quoted from kevindrives:

Last night during my rec league play, we were on the Hobbit, when the ball coming down the right wire-form spun out of the hole with some dirty nasty English and went directly into the right drain. I was cursing Meny's name as it deserved to be and praising Dennis who is wise in all his words that that is terrible design flaw!
    In the end, I was more sober than the other 3 players and managed to win on that game bad ball English and all.

It's actually a very, very common outcome on that ramp. Glad your sobriety carried you over the edge!

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I have to say that "Face/Off" (is that what it's called?) wasn't my favorite segment, primarily because a person's like/dislike of a game is their own personal preference, and anything anyone will say to try to convince them otherwise is usually pointless. I do agree with Dennis though, that the upper right flipper is pretty useless, and that the game would have been better deployed as a standard sized game than a widebody. Lots of valid points made by both sides. I wouldn't say Hobbit is a dud, but it's not that super great.

I think Zach called it The Showdown (Face/Off I believe is his SDTM slap-fest thing).

Quoted from FatPanda:

Market Trends is still awesome (sorry Dennis )

You sound strangely not sorry...

2 months later
    #79 10 months ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Alvin Jones, of all people should understand the importance of dreams. He is misinformed, Harry Potter pinball will be made, damnit. Don’t cockblock my grail pin, Sir. Once invited to tea with JKR, bring the honey potient. Jackpot.

Alvin would never block a dream. JKR will do it all by herself. It is unavoidable. It is her destiny.

#81 10 months ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Dennis is passionate about his "opinions." I enjoy you guys butting heads.
    I already have a call. I will play it. haha

Why is opinions in quotes?!?

I can't believe anyone called; voice lines are so much work. It was probably Zach. Check and see if it is one of the 2.5 voices he is capable of.

#83 10 months ago

I'm just a simple hobbyist, trying to find my way. If you see a drop target in the middle of the road, take it!

EDIT: Makes less sense with the Yogi Berra statement gone. Still, the moral of the story is spinners all day is not the proper way to live.

#85 10 months ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

To emphasize the word opinion. No hard feelings.

Haha, I meant that to mean that you recognized such opinions were really facts, but you dared not admit (to protect Zach's feelings).

Now, how you were to infer that from my three punctuation marks remains for you to figure out!

#88 10 months ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Your Jedi mind tricks are useless as I have such a small target.

These are not the droids you're looking for.

...the droids you seek are the ones on the Star Wars topper. Or is it just one? It has been so long I think an extra droid is warranted.

#91 10 months ago
    Quoted from Koos:

How many people have already spammed Zacks voicemail telling him that the “astronaut guy” is Ultraman?!

Was "astronaut guy" not the most poorly executed description you ever heard? Until he mentioned the fin all Zach kept talking about was, as near as I could tell, any ol' regular astronaut! I kept thinking he just saw Space Camp and was getting really confused. Or his love of Buck Rogers was shining through. There were a lot of possibilities.

3 weeks later
    #99 9 months ago
    Quoted from Chrono86:

Thanks to Zach and Jeff for having me on. Also thanks to all that listened! If you liked me as a guest post it here.

I thought you did a good job. Don't know why Zach thought you sounded like Josh Sharpe though.

4 weeks later
    #107 8 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

New segment!

Half the impressions chosen were ones you do ALL... THE... TIME!

#109 8 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Hey wait now, Teolis had Sly and Petey.

Your Petey was better, so that was a trap.

#111 8 months ago

No, I'm was trying not to hurt his feelings. It was awful. His voice cracked more than a 13-year-old's. It was like when someone tries to sing like Minnie Riperton. You know the high note is coming, you know it won't be hit, but you are shocked every time how badly flat it lands.

It was like that.

#113 8 months ago

Maybe I didn't listen at all!

1 month later
    #126 6 months ago
    Quoted from Koos:

I’m curious to know how many like me were fooled by this whole April 1st meshup.

I'm not sure Jeff would trust me to run a bath, much less his almost award-winning TWIP Podcast.

1 month later
    #154 4 months ago

Dennis is more like cheese in the crust. Something not needed nor invited, but rarely unwelcome. If Dennis was a pizza he’d be veggie special with cheesy crust. Zach is more of a meat lovers special guy, he wants every inch covered with topping and no stuffed crust (unless it is deep dish).
    This simple example highlights how different these two host are. Zach already lost a competition against sdtm cohost Greg. If he loses this twip contest with Dennis, he may slit his wrists and commit harry carry. Dennis could you add a poll to speed things along - who do you prefer to listen?

No polls, my heart was broken when I lost the Market Trends one.

Greg has a level of charm that Zach probably had trouble combating. I have no charm, it's why I was compared to cheese. I think this is a social experiment to see how long it takes for Zach to break me mentally.

As an aside, I never order cheese-stuffed crust. I prefer thin-crust pizzas.

#156 4 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

It’s only a matter of time. You’re one more segment away from total shutdown

You have more segments in place than a centipede. It's weird!

#158 4 months ago

The sequel, but with Mr. Mackey.

1 week later
    #164 4 months ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

I would buy 10 of them just to shame Dennis.

That whole segment should have hit the cutting room floor.

#168 4 months ago
    Quoted from Coz:

dennisk trending UP!!!!!!

Yikes! I'm starting to feel like that colonist in Aliens who is cocooned near the power plant. "Kill... me...".

#171 4 months ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Aliens is one of my favorite movies. Used to play the arcade game when I was a kid. The arcade game was fun but nothing like the movie. What do you think about the game Dennis?

The pinball game? I like where the rules/code went with it, but I found the layout clunky and thus my overall assessment of it is "it's okay".

Quoted from dugmar:

This podcast, like so many others tend to have a sound level that stays somewhat consistent and then a host yells, or they play a sound byte and my speakers in my car nearly blow out. This latest TWIP they put in some obnoxious screaming sound byte (twice) that was 5x as loud as the hosts and I nearly drove off the road as I scrambled for the volume knob.
    Is there a way for listeners to keep a maximum sound level for amateur podcasts? I cannot find any settings in Apple's podcast player.
    Thanks.

Syncing phone to the car system? You can set the max volume output from the phone via the media slider (at least on Android), but you'd need to play a loud sound to know what level you want that at (and the risk of course is the soft sounds might end up too quiet and you end up fiddling with the volume control during an episode).

#175 4 months ago
    Quoted from Coz:

No, I’m referring to the Konami aliens arcade game from the late 80s. Have you played it?

Not enough to have an opinion, sorry.

1 week later
    #194 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Fightin’ words!
    Good episode, but I was misquoted during last week’s episode. I said it was Jack’s prerogative to run his business as he pleases. I did *not* say it was okay to lie to his customers.

My apologies, I didn't remember the quote myself or I would have countered the statement before initiating my rant.

That said, it does appear a lie was indeed told to Jeff now that we know the games are shipping, so the topic seems timely and relevant. I get really mad at businesses that lie to the public. Not sure why it sets me off so much, but it does.

2 weeks later
    #200 3 months ago
    Quoted from daudioguy:

There was a quoted comment from EP 53 about how JJP uses JAVA for programming, integrating A/V. It was suggested that this accounts for Wonka synchronization problems. Nonsense. While I am no longer under NDA (probably) I still won't go into detail but it is safe to say in integrating A/V for three three big pinball games on the JJP system there never was any problem making the audio sync with display effects.

Thanks for the feedback. I had another programmer contact me with skepticism regarding what I mentioned. I reached out to the programmer who originally brought the issue up with me, who clarified it was off jre info in the bootstrapper not direct knowledge of how the assets work (note neither of these programmers were with JJP). I did reach out with a query to some at JJP but they refused to discuss the programming.

I appreciate the clarification and will be happy to note it on the next episode I am on (I can avoid citing by name if that makes things easier). I hedged citing as a fact but given confirmation it is not in play I want to get that out there (for those who care).

#202 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Another good show!
    Zach: *idea*
    Dennis: Your idea is terrible and won’t work
    Zach: Pinball Market Trends!

Quite frankly I suspect this is the formula. You probably do a better job disrupting it. I'm just ignored.

1 month later
    #214 66 days ago

My stance is objective. I believe the phrase relates to the "Bagatelle-​Table", a precursor to pinball in its present form, and continued on in the lexicon from there. The virtual side really latched onto the use of table to articulate differences between games and the main game (the software shell that runs them), and is the prime reason you hear it more often nowadays (a number of people in the hobby come from digital pinball at this stage, not a background with physical machines).

One can hate the phrase and refuse to use it. But it is no more wrong than saying "soda" rather than "pop." Just the way it is. I dislike referring to pins as decks, but it also seems to be a valid use (though I have no idea as to the history justifying it). So I avoid it but don't go around falsely correcting people on it. Just my take on things.

#231 64 days ago

Would be cool to see a rock skipping competition for robots. I’d like to see this guy’s robot compete against other bots and for the results to be measured. Must be an impossible task to define and implement a standard for counting skips. They should direct the worlds greatest minds towards cracking that nut. Maybe we can get Dennis K to look into it.

Why not just build robots to fight each other? It's already a competition and more appealing to the destructive inclinations of this hobby.

1 week later
    #242 57 days ago
    Quoted from davidlldennis:

Just cut out all of dennisk that'll shorten it up...

This is true. At least the laughing. That added about two minutes, and then he stuck it at the end again, so four minutes!

2 weeks later
    #259 37 days ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Zach, is this how you’d imagine Dennis with his market trends pillow?

Oh this is so creepy...

2 weeks later
    #265 23 days ago

I enjoyed the new segment. It was well researched and thought-out.

#267 23 days ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

As far as Dennis’ likeness on a t-shirt, I’m sure you could use a look-alike. Maybe there’s some kind of pinball machine that did something similar...

Or or or... Zach could just have a Market Trends shirt WITHOUT Dennis' likeness. Hurrah!

#273 22 days ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

So very kind of you and we appreciate the feedback. Sounds like people are asking for more Dwight in the future.

You could make him the permanent co-host!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 29.95
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 64.99
    $ 64.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 115.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 43.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dennisk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside