Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

In the style of SDTM, I thought I would do a "this or that" style post with some of the pins I'm considering.
I currently own one pin (Breakshot), and I'm looking to expand my collection. I want something that will hold my interest for a while. My options are....
Lord of the Rings (played this one and liked it. Hear that the rule set is deep)
or
Dr. Who + Extra cash leftover for next pin. (Love Dr Who, and this pin is in nice condition with moving Dalek)
or
The Hobbit Smaug SE (Used and routed)
or
Dialed In (The cost of this one would delay my next purchase for a while)

Having owned every one of these games, I would say FAR and away DI is my favorite. I play it every day, which I don't think I can say about any other pin I've ever owned.

2nd was TH, believe it or not. It is just really fun to play. But it can be LOOOOOOOOONG. I've had almost 45 minute to an hour games on that thing! It still has at least one remaining update to be released, too. And the price is good. Not everybody likes the layout where everything is at the edges.

I also really enjoy DW, which most pinsiders do not seem to. That's a game where you can get in a couple quick ones and it's fun every time, but there's not a long 'Story mode" to play.

The only game I never really got into that much is LOTR. It's a great pin, well integrated theme, but.. I don't know, it didn't grab me. It's fun, no question, and definitely one of the best (the best?) dry spell Stern games

PM me if you don't go for the DW, I'd really like to get that game again.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

The hold up I have on Dialed In is the price. They're also still in production, so I feel like the price will eventually go down in the next 2 years. I also have 3 of them nearby at different locations. Hmmmm.. sounds like I kind of ruled that one out on my own lol.

I hear ya - you're probably right; But that game is, by far, by FAR, the most fun out of all the ones you listed. If there's 3 nearby (where? Red Zone and VUK? and where else?) then you can get in a couple good games. The one at VUK has some serious issues and is not really playable as much as is needed to enjoy the game.

Reasonable for DW is 3K for a well-kept one. Cab fade is expected, but a working, complete Mini playfield is the most important thing

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

Can anyone jump in? If so
AC/DC Prem Vault
VS
TNA
I feel AC/DC would give more types of game play experiences, since I already have a couple EMs in my collection.

TNA is fun but it's so basic you may end up getting bored unless you have lots of newbie players around all the time. Feels like it's missing "something". AC/DC is a tried-and-true masterpiece, but YMMV

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

LOTR isn't even the same league as the rest of these games. The other three are like t-ball to the Majors by comparison. The only one I'd say is even remotely as deep and challenging is Dialed In, but the shot geometry and magnets on Dialed in sure seem to piss a lot of people off. I love magnets, but it's really just a big slap in the face when you get deep into the game and then get boned by a magnet, through no fault of your own really.
Also: Losing a SIM card to a magnet hit is enough to make me want to kick in a coin door and rip the legs off the cabinet with my bare hands.
Another also: Echoing the ridiculously long ball times on Hobbit. I *have* had games well over an hour on location, and it's not at all satisfying in the way that WOZ and DI can be. It's just a slog, and the only fun part of the game are the mini-wizards. Having your Smaug kill shot be cockblocked because you started monster multiball beacuse WTF MAN THERE'S BALLS EVERYWHERE HOW ARE YOU NOT SUPPOSED TO HIT THOSE GIANT 4 PRICKS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BLOODY PLAYFIELD is annoying as hell. They should've coded the game to not stack those multiballs, or at least to drop the monsters that would otherwise be blocking an active needed shot.

Totally disagree about LOTR, but your description of TH is pretty spot on. LOL. I have had those games!! The game is actually a lot more fun if you can reduce the frequency of the troll popup things; they do get in the way a lot.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Disagree all you like. History will speak for itself in a few years. I'm confident that one of us will be right, at least!

I disagree!! LOL

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-or-that-or-this?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.