Topic poll

“This or that. MM remake v BM66 ”

• MM remake 73 votes
    48%
  • BM66 79 votes
    52%

(152 votes)

#1 4 years ago

I would like advice regarding these two pins.

If you would not mind posting comments as well as the poll.

#2 4 years ago

I have played these two pins but not in a home setting more just casual playing on location.

My take:

MM rules are a bit simple (like AFM) I have AFM and prefer most everything about AFM (over MM). But that's not to say that I don't like MM just that my preference is to AFM. Not sure how the two games will be in my collection.

BM66 love the theme and the video clips and the rules are bonkers (this is my main reason to pick BM66) a lot more rules to discover and play around with than MM. Bad aspect was that it doesn't shoot as well as MM.

MM remake with color chip seems to be priced higher than BM66

BM66 is spike system which is not well loved

#3 4 years ago

does anyone have any advice/opinion??

#4 4 years ago

i had a MMr and I currently have a BM66. It is all about what type of game you like. MMr is simple and great toys. But you can systematically beat it. BM66 has much deeper code. shots are tougher on BM than MM. BM code is amazing. So many different ways you can play that game and tons of stuff to stack.

If you are worried about boards or build materials that is all part of the hobby. If you get an original MM you will have issues, if you get a remake it has its own set of issues, and as for spike i personally havent seen any problems. But luck is all part of the hobby.

For me MMr kinda got old especially after i have beat it. BM66 has lasted and is still part of my collection.

#5 4 years ago

Batman 66 is a great game. It's got a bit of clunk but some great rules. The theming is well done and really hits home with alot of people too. It is a Stern so you do get that quick and cheap feel, but it's a well made game.

Medieval Madness is an ALL TIME CLASSIC for a reason. Great rules, shots, toys, sound (amazing voice work). The comedic medieval times theme with the dragons, princesses, castles and kings is timeless. The remakes are very faithful and well made. The color upgrade is fantastic.

I don't think you'll go wrong either way, but MMR all day for me.

#6 4 years ago

Get the remake! unless you live next to a fire station...

#7 4 years ago

When I got back into the hobby a little of 2 years ago after being out of it for 10 years the first pin I bought was a MMr, as the thought of getting the grail pin from WMS new in box was mind boggling. I sold it within 6 months as I discovered the depth and rules of modern pins is hard to beat. I replaced it with a BM66, which I've now had almost 2 years, and it's not going anywhere....

#8 4 years ago

AFM & MM are like flipping a coin. Both classic, similar mode-based code, fan layouts, same designer. I am not made of money, so IMO it's not worth it to me to own both. I'd I had to pick one, it would be AFM without a doubt.

BM66 has Lyman on the code. Nuff said. Deep, balanced modes, good variety, challenging, always fun. You'll get years of enjoyment from BM66.

You've already answered your own question

#9 4 years ago

Get BM66 because you already own AFM (and AFM and MM are too similar in gameplay).

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Get BM66 because you already own AFM (and AFM and MM are too similar in gameplay).

Agreed. Those two pins would be too similar for my small collection. BM66 isn’t the smoothest but strong rule set and integration make it a worthy consideration.

#11 4 years ago

I have an AFMr and I’m also considering a MMr. I’m not into BM66, but I recently played DP and that is starting to make me think. I was also considering Wonka.

There isn’t much not to love about MM, but I only have room for four and I wonder if it’s smart to get a game similar to what I have. I don’t have any games with any upper playfields or more than two flippers. Hard to resist MM though.

#12 4 years ago

With your collection, I’d go with BM66

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

With your collection, I’d go with BM66

I love the larger display/TV of the newer pins.

#14 4 years ago

I love the larger display/Lcd of the newer pins.They are supposed to have the XL display in MMr in the future. They had one on test location over a year ago. I do agree the new lcd screen is integrated very well with BM66 and the awesome code. Perfect for home use

#15 4 years ago

An observation, You own Spider Man , Star Trek , AFM, and Tron. You don’t seem to mind having games with similar layouts and prefer games with flow.

#16 4 years ago

Get BM66. You already have MM's sister (AFM).

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

AFM & MM are like flipping a coin. Both classic, similar mode-based code, fan layouts, same designer. I am not made of money, so IMO it's not worth it to me to own both. I'd I had to pick one, it would be AFM without a doubt.
BM66 has Lyman on the code. Nuff said. Deep, balanced modes, good variety, challenging, always fun. You'll get years of enjoyment from BM66.

You've already answered your own question

Lyman coded both games. So not enough said? Haha

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Lyman coded both games. So not enough said? Haha

Yes, I was watching the BM66 dead flip video

great stuff. Lyman was saying that the older games were limited physically by the ROM size, he can put a lot more into modern games. Not saying one is better or worse but different. He said his favorite non-stern pin is AFM.

I'm not a great player so anyway even a simple game like Tron, AFM etc is very challenging for me.

#19 4 years ago

Echoing what others have said I would not add MM to a small collection with AFM. I bought an MM NIB 20 years ago and it will never leave but given your situation I’d go with BM66 hands down if you like the theme. It absolutely has the best theme integration of any pin (including JJP) in the LCD era and Lyman has made the code epic (with more to come apparently). There are so many ways to play Batman you won’t get bored with it. And the main toys (turntable and crane) are more fun then they they seem. Not as cool as the MM castle, but very few playfield toys are.

I own Batman despite my dislike of and concern for the long term viability Stern Spike system (but I have similar concerns with the CGC remakes like MMR). I also don’t believe the CGC remakes play as well as good condition originals but the differences are easily overlooked. You can’t go wrong with either game, but I’d go with Batman in your case.

#20 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice.

#22 4 years ago

At this point the poll is exactly tied. You know it’s a good poll when you get a tie.

#23 4 years ago

I own them both and I would go with BM66 all day. But I grew up watching BM so theme is better for me. The sound and video on BM are really good. MM is a great game too and why I have both, but it would be the one to leave if I couldn't keep both.

#24 4 years ago

Personally, I prefer Medieval Madness. However, since you already have AFMr (which like others have said is very similar) I'd recommend Batman 66.

If you can't decide, you could always trade your AFMrLE for a Medieval Madness to switch it up, AND get the BM66. I bet dollars to dollars you'd get offers if you put that trade up.

#25 4 years ago

MM gets stale quickly IMO. Especially after you beat it. Want to buy mine? haha.

#26 4 years ago

I would say between the two BM66, but have you considered either BK or DP? Personally I lean towards either of them.

Good luck.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

MM gets stale quickly IMO. Especially after you beat it. Want to buy mine? haha.

I’ve had mine almost 22 years, longer than any other game in my collection. Beaten it many times. Never gets old. Still one of the most popular games when people visit. AFM and MM are simply awesome games from that era. Can’t wait to see what Brian Eddy can do now.

If money was no issue for the OP, BM66 and MMR would be the way to go. As for any of the newer Sterns, they’ll be footnotes in pinball history while Batman will go down as one of the best games in the LCD era.

#28 4 years ago

If AFM and MM were the only pinball machines ever made then they are radically different games. But considering how much variety there is across the thousands of different designs that have been made, they are almost the same game.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I think MM is one of the best games ever made (I have an original).

In a small collection like yours, I would therefore advise you to get almost anything other than (almost) the same game you already have. BM66 would do just fine. Also not a good time to get MMr as the large screen update is not out yet.

#29 4 years ago

Everyone keeps saying the OP has a small collection, but is 13 games really considered small? I think that’s a good size and is fine with a game that is somewhat similar.

#30 4 years ago

It's tough. I prefer the layout of MM and the rules on BM66. I would go with MM, but since you already own AFM and SM, BM66 would probably give you more variety. Still it's really close.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

It's tough. I prefer the layout of MM and the rules on BM66. I would go with MM, but since you already own AFM and SM, BM66 would probably give you more variety. Still it's really close.

Very close.

I’m going to play BM66 a few more times and decide.

#32 4 years ago

Spoke w PPS last week and another run of MMRs is happening in 3-6mo, after MBr. If they include the larger LCD, it’s gonna be excellent. If you haven’t owned MM or MMR, you should at some point. There are some fun mods you can do as well. BM66 is a harder game imo.

#33 4 years ago

Love bm66 theme, may be a top 10 for me, but just don't like how it shoots at all. Maybe I am missing something. I do want to love it, but just don't.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Spoke w PPS last week and another run of MMRs is happening in 3-6mo, after AFMR. If they include the larger LCD, it’s gonna be excellent. If you haven’t owned MM or MMR, you should at some point. There are some fun mods you can do as well. BM66 is a harder game imo.

I love the larger screen, but I wonder can they push the price of a MM even higher?

#35 4 years ago

For sure, it will cost more. And will be an add-on option for previous MMR owners.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

For sure, it will cost more. And will be an add-on option for previous MMR owners.

Doesn’t seem in line with AFM and MB, those games are essentially 6k for what MMr is. I understand they don’t want to piss early adopters off, but prices of things change over time.

#37 4 years ago

I hope so, $8k for MMR with the larger screen would be equivalent in cost to AFMRLE, which is much more loaded with the topper and rgb color changing inserts and gi. But what do they do with all the customers who paid for the lcd color upgrade? Perhaps there will be a discount or at cost sale to those owners.

#38 4 years ago

Both games are fantastic.

Batman has so much more depth. IMO, Batman is a must for every collection.

#39 4 years ago

Mmr is a great location game. Batman66 is a great home collection game. The choice is easy for me. I recently almost got sucked in to buying a mmr. Luckily, I played it for an hour and won’t need to again for a long time.

#40 4 years ago

I have both and had AFM. I would get both and sell AFM. MMR is a little better than AFM imo.

#41 4 years ago

Have question, do you think the new run of BM66 will be better than an older build?

I know pre owned is cheaper but new is nice sometimes as well.

It’s not always that much price saving to buy used. Depending if you can find one local too.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Have question, do you think the new run of BM66 will be better than an older build?
It’s not always that much price saving to buy used. Depending if you can find one local too.

Depends. If you can find a BM66 LE no question. Otherwise I suspect the new is the same as used depending on price.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Define older. A Batman built after June/July 2018 will have all the hardware fix kits and the cabinet reinforcements (not sure about the new lock bar). Don’t know if they now have the more solid cabinets like the newer games (but it would make sense that they do since the cabinets are interchangeable)

I would buy a new production game unless you can find a great deal on an older model.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Define older. A Batman built after June/July 2018 will have all the hardware fix kits and the cabinet reinforcements (not sure about the new lock bar). Don’t know if they now have the more solid cabinets like the newer games (but it would make sense that they do since the cabinets are interchangeable)
I would buy a new production game unless you can find a great deal on an older model.

I agree.

I may wait for there next game cycle to see how that pin looks but more than likely thinking about BM66.

#45 4 years ago

I owned a MMR LE and sold it fairly quickly. It really doesn't have a lot of depth to the code, and although the castle toy is really cool it wasn't enough to keep it. The shots were good, but it is a standard fan layout similar to AFM and Met - both of which you have and have better rules. Some of the MMR had play fields with insert text that was barely readable so you might want to look closely at the one you buy. For me the joy of playing the original 20 years ago was never recaptured.

The code in BM66 was slow to develop, and some are still bitter about the early code but today it is perhaps the best in any game available. Unlike MMR there are a lot of ways to play the game and a lot more to see and do that make it more attractive in a home collection. The turn table has to be level for it to play well, and it seems that is rarely done at the factory, and I think this contributes to the feeling of clunk people complain about, but I'm not sure what people mean by that. I have heard of node boards failing but it seems rare and Stern seems to replace them for free. There are a lot of cool mods for this game, so a discount on used one with them installed could be more attractive than a new stock game.

I can see the argument for MMR winning on shots/layout and toy (castle). BM66 has a lot better rules, sound, display, and lighting. I resold my MMR for what I bought it for, so it is hard to say it was a mistake. BM66 has been a long term keeper.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I owned a MMR LE and sold it fairly quickly. It really doesn't have a lot of depth to the code, and although the castle toy is really cool it wasn't enough to keep it. The shots were good, but it is a standard fan layout similar to AFM and Met - both of which you have and have better rules. Some of the MMR had play fields with insert text that was barely readable so you might want to look closely at the one you buy. For me the joy of playing the original 20 years ago was never recaptured.
The code in BM66 was slow to develop, and some are still bitter about the early code but today it is perhaps the best in any game available. Unlike MMR there are a lot of ways to play the game and a lot more to see and do that make it more attractive in a home collection. The turn table has to be level for it to play well, and it seems that is rarely done at the factory, and I think this contributes to the feeling of clunk people complain about, but I'm not sure what people mean by that. I have heard of node boards failing but it seems rare and Stern seems to replace them for free. There are a lot of cool mods for this game, so a discount on used one with them installed could be more attractive than a new stock game.
I can see the argument for MMR winning on shots/layout and toy (castle). BM66 has a lot better rules, sound, display, and lighting. I resold my MMR for what I bought it for, so it is hard to say it was a mistake. BM66 has been a long term keeper.

You hit the nail on the head with the short time frame of owning the game. It’s not deep enough for long-term ownership...if you’re good at pinball.

One of my friends own it, so I play it at his house. The 50 or so times I play it per year is more than enough. I could never justify buying it.

I say go all in on the Catwoman Edition and don’t look back. You won’t be disappointed.

#47 4 years ago

Considering your collection, I'd go for a BM66.

#48 4 years ago

BM66 it’s the best game in my collection hands down and will be the last to leave, phenomenal code work from Lyman.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-or-that-mm-remake-v-bm66-v-bk-sor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.