Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zombywoof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 3 years ago

Passed on 2/9 after recent cancer diagnosis, 79 y.o.

Thankfully, we have decades of excellent recordings in a wide variety of settings to continue to enjoy.

A very super "supergroup":

#2 3 years ago

Damn.

They dropping like flies lately!

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Damn.
They dropping like flies lately!

Yup, so glad I didn't neglect to see some of these old-lion guys when I still had the chance!

I actually met Chick once in the 90s, one of the most gracious and friendly encounters I've ever had with a famous musician (I know he is a little niche in terms of overall fame and popularity, but to me he was bigger than the Beatles or Led Zep).

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Yup, so glad I didn't neglect to see some of these old-lion guys when I still had the chance!
I actually met Chick once in the 90s, one of the most gracious and friendly encounters I've ever had with a famous musician (I know he is a little niche in terms of overall fame and popularity, but to me he was bigger than the Beatles or Led Zep).

Yup. My gf always saying "Why you gotta see Judas Priest 3 times when they roll through town?"

Then I just show her the rock star obits!!!

Seeing Prince 5 times one year was a pretty good move!

#5 3 years ago

Bad year to be famous & it's only mid-February.

#6 3 years ago

I was led to Chick Korea primarily through a Bass player he once employed.
Listening for the hot licks I developed an appreciation for this Jazz.
This Guy is Lengendary and starting a new beginning in Heaven.

#7 3 years ago

Return to Forever!

#8 3 years ago

Yeah this blows. Saw him many times in many formats since the mid 80s. Fantastic musician and seemed like a really nice guy from everything I’ve heard and read. That RTF reunion that stopped in Chicago about 10 yrs ago was a legit face melter.

#9 3 years ago

A few mentions of RTF, but we need some primo footage to REALLY cheer up a bit!

#10 3 years ago

My buddy and I saw Chick years ago at the Park West (a small club) with Michael Brecker on tenor sax and Eddie Gomez on bass and the legendary Steve Gadd on drums. As incredible as that tight group was, I will always remember in between their two sets, when Chick came out by himself and poured the odd contents of a large cardboard box on top of the strings of a grand piano and then sat down and started running his fingers up and down the keys to get a feel of where the various pieces had landed and what kind of strange clanging or buzzing sounds were made by striking certain keys. He transitioned into a funky number by playing a dazzling solo over a driving rhythm featuring the raspy sounds from the strings affected by the contents of the box. Amazing!

#11 3 years ago

This is one of my favorite songs of all time.

I remember letting someone borrow one of my Corea albums and after he got done with it, he said he didn't like it because Corea played scales too much. Like the dude completely dismissed my taste in music, one of my favorite albums in three seconds. I never wanted to hit someone in the face so much in my life.

#12 3 years ago

Had the pleasure of seeing him play at Jazz Alley in Seattle a couple years ago with my son. Incredible artist - a loss to all of us!

RIP Chick Corea

#13 3 years ago

I was gonna say something snarky about the REALLY in all caps seeming to diminish the losses of other musicians, but upon reflection, I'm sure that wasn't the intent.

Death sucks, and the death of someone you love sucks the most!

Some solace can be taken in that these musician's outputs will live on, to be enjoyed by generations to come.

RIP Chick!

(And as much as I loved Peart's odd time signatures and fills, I should probably give Jazz more of a chance...)

#14 3 years ago

I still have, play, and enjoy some of his albums that I bought in the 70s. He was a really great musician. RIP

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

(And as much as I loved Peart's odd time signatures and fills, I should probably give Jazz more of a chance...)

I am a lifelong Peart fan, but anything released with Dave Weckl and Chick Corea playing together is pure gold. I have a ton of CC's music, he was amazing, and moreso, very versatile.

One of my favorite albums with some great Jazz standards is PLAY- a duet of Bobby McFerrin and Chick Corea. That could easily be a desert island album for me.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

This is one of my favorite songs of all time.

I remember letting someone borrow one of my Corea albums and after he got done with it, he said he didn't like it because Corea played scales too much. Like the dude completely dismissed my taste in music, one of my favorite albums in three seconds. I never wanted to hit someone in the face so much in my life.

Hahahah ... join the club. I am a huge prog rock / metal / fusion fan.

RIP Chick. Busted out Romantic Warrior the other day, and rediscovered Akoustic Band, which used to be one of my favorites of all time

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hahahah ... join the club. I am a huge prog rock / metal / fusion fan.
RIP Chick. Busted out Romantic Warrior the other day, and rediscovered Akoustic Band, which used to be one of my favorites of all time

THAT was the album he dismissed. ARGH.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I am a lifelong Peart fan, but anything released with Dave Weckl and Chick Corea playing together is pure gold. I have a ton of CC's music, he was amazing, and moreso, very versatile.
One of my favorite albums with some great Jazz standards is PLAY- a duet of Bobby McFerrin and Chick Corea. That could easily be a desert island album for me.

Huge fan of Weckl, but I have found his playing doesn't translate as well to many Rush fans. Not exactly sure why, but different players I guess. I do think it's fair to say that Peart always let the song lead his playing, and Weckl is intentionally taking a lot of 'solos' because that's the style of music they're playing.

Quoted from alexmogil:

THAT was the album he dismissed. ARGH.

LOL I had a feeling

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Huge fan of Weckl, but I have found his playing doesn't translate as well to many Rush fans. Not exactly sure why, but different players I guess. I do think it's fair to say that Peart always let the song lead his playing, and Weckl is intentionally taking a lot of 'solos' because that's the style of music they're playing.

LOL I had a feeling

I am a huge fan of power trios and now these have become power duos.... Tough losses for sure.
Peart, Lifeson, Lee
Weckl, Patituci, Corea

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I am a huge fan of power trios and now these have become power duos.... Tough losses for sure.
Peart, Lifeson, Lee
Weckl, Patituci, Corea

Oh damn.

#21 3 years ago

RIP CC. Akoustic Band is my fave. It’s reference standard stuff. I get something out of it every listen.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Schinny:

RIP CC. Akoustic Band is my fave. It’s reference standard stuff. I get something out of it every listen.

Truly! I was also today years old when I learned that the Elektric Band is the same guys!

2 weeks later
#23 3 years ago

Reviving this one.... His passing had me bringing his works around full circle again.... Which led me down the rabbit hole to where my musical core lies- Progressive Jazz/Fusion/Rock.

These guys are absolute monsters.... don't turn this one off, let it play all the way through just to appreciate what they have to offer. This one takes off at the 3:00 minute mark, and the Cory Henry (keyboard) solo near the 4 minute mark is one of the best I have heard.

Snarky Puppy-

#24 3 years ago

I heard about his passing but had missed this thread. I've been a Return to Forever fan since I was a teenager. I saw Chick with Bélla Fleck in 2019, one of my last shows pre-COVID. Two masters of their craft. I thought it an odd pairing at first, but they played really well together. I loved how Chick would reach into his grand piano and bend notes by pushing on the strings.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-one-really-hurts-rip-chick-corea?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.