Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by BigDan
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hi ya'll, just wondering if anyone has the "This Old Pinball" DVD's. Are they any good? I just got my first Pin and want to learn about fixing them. I have a Dirty Harry from '95, so I'm thinking I'll be good with Video #3 ("Lost in the 'Zone" Restoring 1993 Bally Twilight Zone) and #4 ("Pinball Ain't Dead, It Just Smells Funny"). Thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

Yes, I have both of the videos you listed and have watched them many times. They are funny and helpful! A great value of information for your dollar

#3 10 years ago

Yes and yes. A wealth of info.

#5 10 years ago

For the cost its a no brainer to pick these up. At the very least you'll get a good laugh. But highly likely you'll get a lot more than that.

#6 10 years ago

All proceeds benefit the PHOF too, so a win-win. You might also donate to pinrepair.com and get access to the pinballninja.com web blog -- another well-worth-the-money endeavor towards learning more about pinball repair.

#7 10 years ago

mmm...Candy....

#8 10 years ago

"Lost in the Zone", (WPC), and "Banzai Wars", (System 11), are two very useful vids to own.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigballa81:

Hi ya'll, just wondering if anyone has the "This Old Pinball" DVD's. Are they any good? I just got my first Pin and want to learn about fixing them. I have a Dirty Harry from '95, so I'm thinking I'll be good with Video #3 ("Lost in the 'Zone" Restoring 1993 Bally Twilight Zone) and #4 ("Pinball Ain't Dead, It Just Smells Funny"). Thoughts?

didnt find them too helpful as a newbie also but funny and helps the phof. check out you tube randyfromm for some basic electronics as a start. wish i had the tapes in their entirety

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from yoshootme:

wish i had the tapes in their entirety

You can buy Randy's whole set from his Web site. It's a little pricy (~$250 I think), but available. I bought his pinball repair DVD for $30 -- it was worth it for the price, I think.

I still call myself a novice, but am getting better every day. I read through two heavy electronics books, got Bear's guide, 3-4 of the TOPS videos, Randy's video, pinballninja.com subscription, read through all the guides available and am a forum junkie for the past year. Every little bit helps, but nothing more so than troubleshooting the problems and a little of the old trial and error/hands on experience.

I feel pretty comfortable with Sys 11 (and by subtext DE board sets since it's essentially a copy), System 1 Gottlieb and Sega/Stern Whitestar. Haven't had many issues with WPCs yet (thankfully), but love learning more about these intricate machines and fixing them. For OP, just soak in as much as you can from every source and don't be afraid to try things for the first time (safely, of course).

#11 10 years ago

Lost in the Zone was great. Lots of really helpful info that can be applied to other late model SS machines. My only complaint is Norm. He is always interrupting Shaggy with something that isn't funny or informative. It is super annoying. I wish he would just let Shaggy do all of the talking.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

I wish he would just let Shaggy do all of the talking.

They did this in Banzai Wars more and I like its format a lot better. Some people really enjoy the Norm antics though. I bought for information more than entertainment, however, so I liked the sans-Norm style better personally.

#13 10 years ago

i have the more em-centric ones, and they are worth EVERY penny...

plus as other people pointed out, they are rather amusing...

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

"Lost in the Zone", (WPC), and "Banzai Wars", (System 11), are two very useful vids to own.

I like Banzai Wars because I'm in it... <grin>

But seriously, they are all awesome and contain proven methods of repair.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

I like Banzai Wars because I'm in it... <grin>

Did you get to meet "Candy" in person. She was a nice addition to that one

#16 10 years ago

Thanks for your imput guys, I bought "Lost in the Zone" and "Pinball Ain't Dead, It Just Smells Funny"

#17 10 years ago

I own the EM one, and its very useful. get all of them

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

Lost in the Zone was great. Lots of really helpful info that can be applied to other late model SS machines. My only complaint is Norm. He is always interrupting Shaggy with something that isn't funny or informative. It is super annoying. I wish he would just let Shaggy do all of the talking.

I'm in the same boat. Real informative but the bad jokes were distracting and didn't add anything to the videos. Shaggy does a great job explaining things but can be difficult when he's cut off every 30 seconds.

#19 10 years ago

Well worth it. Get anything you might be interested in. I've never owned/fixed an EM but bought the video anyway. Great place to start.

Clay also maintains the pinballninja.com website. A $20 donation will get you access to 700+ pinball repairs, usually 3 or 4 a week, the latest 200 or so with video. Search this forum for more info, but an incredible resource.

#20 10 years ago

just tried going to pinballninja.com all there is is a Word Press site asking for a user name and password with no option to donate. Anyone know what up with this?

#21 10 years ago

Here's info on how to get access:

http://www.pinrepair.com/donate/

#22 10 years ago

Get all of the TOP DVD's. They are a blast! The longer I am in this hobby, the more I appreciate and learn from the videos. When I first watched them it was all mumbo-jumbo to me!!

1 year later
    #23 9 years ago

I could see This Old Pinball as well as anybody else requiring its potential customers to send a payment, wait a few days for delivery, find and dust off the old DVD player and TV set, watch it, put it back in the box and then its hopefully off to a spot on a shelf.

Now day's for most of us middle aged guys I know, this whole send you money in, have to wait days to get it in the mail and repeat the steps in the first paragraph. Its just simply too much effort in contrast of what could just be a few clicks on every smartphone, tablet which is a way more convent way of sharing clips of the film to would be buyers because I don't invite all my friends over to watch my latest movies on a big screen like I use to 15 years ago when DVD's were cool. That was cool a while back but consumers now days want things now and they want it to be convient so they can watch it when on a ride home from work on a train, bus, airplane. etc. Heck my last to computers I purchased didn't even come with an optical drive.

Setting up youtube videos so that viewers can pay one second and be enjoying your film simultaneously on various of devices the next second can be easy, probably easier then dealing with physical media and everything associated with selling physical items.

I hope what I tried to say didn't upset you. I am only trying to help out your business because I see a lot of other people like you still selling dvd's to forums members via snail mail instead of making it an instant download off your site or have a third party kick in like Youtube.

I as well as other would buy feature length HD quality videos if they were availably instantly because there are more then a few nights when I get home and want to put on a well executed documentary, even if I have to press a few buttons on my device to make it happen which is good for everyone.
    Cheers

Dan

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-old-pinball-repair-restoration-dvd-videos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.