Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by HowardR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey guys, just looking for a little direction as I blindly stumble through the EM world!

I recently bought a 1949 Double-Shuffle. When I went to check it out, everything worked just fine aside from a few burnt out bulbs. When I got it home I put it back together (minus the coin door), fire it up and it blew a 10A fuse on the bottom board. I figured it may have just been because of the coin door so didn't think much about it. Since then, I've stripped it, cleaned and waxed everything. I've replaced the line cord and cleaned up a pile of hacks.

Now that everything is back together, I went to go start it and the same fuse blew again. I know my problem can't be too deep as it was working two tries previous, but I otherwise have very limit knowledge with this stuff and have been learning as I go. I fashioned up one of those 5A breakers, I own a DMM as well as the schematics (completely greek to me), but nothing is labeled on the game, coil warpers are toast, all the wires have faded and look similar.

Initial questions!

1) In efforts to try isolate my problem, I'm guessing a short, would the machine continue to blow fuses if I disconnected the back box? What about the play field?

2) Would turning it on with the play field up vertical cause any faults?

3) Does the coin door have anything to do with the start up? It blew the breaker with the coin mech pushing the leaver under the play field the same way it did when I tried it by hand.

4) I tested al the coils to the best of my knowledge. One coil right next to the 10A fuses read .8ohm. When I desoldered it to test it read like 30, then went back down to .8 when I reinstalled it. Furthermore, I couldn't see any loose strands, and it otherwise works just fine. I think. When I turn it on, it engages to hold a switch shut...

Further information
- All of the steppers and gears move freely when I trigger the coils by hand.
- All of the switches look to be reasonably gapped.
• When I tried to start it, I could hear the stepper firing about 5 times in the back box, and all of the lights would flash at the same time.

Looking forward to some clues and sorry for all of the ridiculous questions, I have more where they came from!

#2 8 years ago

You got a healthy short someware.
you can unplug stuff to isolate,"somewhat", but, do not troubleshoot with it unhooked, too many things go up/down to complete stuff.
chk all the jones plugs, maybe one is one hole off?
chk out the coin door connections.

Quoted from Mahoyvan:2) Would turning it on with the play field up vertical cause any faults?

it can, but shud not blow fuses.

#3 8 years ago

Also check to make sure that all coils that have plungers do have the plungers in them and that they move freely. If a plunger is missing from a bell coil for example, it will draw a lot more current than it would with the plunger in place, and will blow a fuse.

#4 8 years ago

My Double Shuffle had several shorted coils in the relay bank under the playfield that blew that fuse when I first got it. Mine works without the coin door plugged in. If you leave it unplugged make sure the jones plug is not shorting against anything

#5 8 years ago

Jones plugs - scrubbed, cleaned, aligned and testing out with a good beep.

Coin door - Same issue regardless of being plugged in.

Coils - All coils have their plungers, and I double checked for shorts, still looking good!
Didn't know that about the plungers, thanks!

I had time to fool around with it further and I feel like it's beginning to narrow down.
When I plug the game in, nothing happens - Good. I press the big leaver under the playfield which disengages the Tilt then pop goes the breaker.

All of the bumpers, pops, and kickers still work even with the tilt off. I can hear the stepper working as well when I trigger these things. However, still no lights at any time.

I've checked all of the nipples on the sockets, and everything looks good. Who wants to come over for a beer!?

#6 8 years ago

Pushing the reset lever should trigger the 10,000 and 100,000 score steppers to reset (check those for shorts/bad coils), and also resets the under playfield red/green advance steppers.

#7 8 years ago

If everything is working except lights, then must be a bulb socket or any of it's wiring shorted. Nothing to do with scoring, steppers, flippers or any other coils.

Since you have the playfield on it's pedestal, and before starting a game, reach into the bottom of the cabinet and engage the "Hold Relay" manually, and with the fuse replaced. This should either light the game up, or immediately blow the fuse. You stated the fuse blows when starting a game. If this is the case, sounds like bulb socket wiring close to a stepper in the backbox, (since those steppers are the ones moving during reset). Check the bulb sockets behind bells and stepper units in the backbox, as well as the plugs and the plug area, (since you handled this area disassembling and re-assembling).

Check back, good luck! Ron

2 years later
#8 5 years ago

Wow, so two years have gone by and only now have I found time to get working on this ol' girl! I've made some progress, but still have some issues to iron out. I'm really just poking through everything blindly so any help would be appreciated.

Here's where I'm at:
- I plug the game in and nothing happens - Normal, right?
- I push the coin mech to start a game > A motor runs in the backbox, lights flash at the same time, then the same 10A breaker pops.
- I push the breaker back in, and it remains in.

Observations:
- Pop's pop, Flippers flip and Switches... switch.
- I have 5 warm-white LED's in the backbox where the title of the game would be on the backglass. After I push the breaker back in, these lights pulse on and off in exactly 1 second intervals. I went and put an incandescent bulb in one of those sockets and it hardly lights up, but pulses as well.

I put an LED where a character on the backglass would be and it lights up VERY dimly. I put an incandescent in the same spot and it hardly makes a glow.

I checked every single light socket on the game, albeit there's not very many, and they all look good. Hell, I looked over all the connections I could and everything seems to be in order.

Anyone wanna point me in the right direction?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

I push the coin mech to start a game > A motor runs in the backbox, lights flash at the same time, then the same 10A breaker pops.

I assume what you're calling a motor is really a stepper.
Blowing fuses aren't as straighforward to diagnose as some problems but there are some techniques that work. Does the fuse/breaker blow when the stepper is at the same position every time?

For more than that, see the reply I sent you in a private message.

#10 5 years ago

Anyone have any clues as to why the lights would be flashing in a very specific pattern?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I assume what you're calling a motor is really a stepper.
Blowing fuses aren't as straighforward to diagnose as some problems but there are some techniques that work. Does the fuse/breaker blow when the stepper is at the same position every time?
For more than that, see the reply I sent you in a private message.

Yeah! The noise in the back is a stepper, not a motor. My terms are pretty limited right now.
Seems the breaker pops only during initial start up. I can manually run the stepper and everything goes well.

#12 5 years ago

Which stepper is it?
Does the breaker blow at a particular position of the stepper?
If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your phone # in a private message, with your country code. I've made international calls with WhatsApp.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-ol-woodie?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.