(Topic ID: 13427)

This month's contest: What's the dirtiest machine you've ever shopped or seen...

By jar155

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by devil_rider
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fPFflash.JPG
    fTOPpf.JPG
    fPAID.JPG
    fMEGA.JPG
    fHOTRODS.JPG
    snackjets.JPG
    rightsling.JPG
    playground.JPG
    leftramp.JPG
    kisslane.JPG
    snackcaulk.JPG
    IMG_4088.jpeg
    IMAG0164.jpg
    desimp.jpg
    tz.jpg
    dirtypotc.jpg

#1 7 years ago

...on location?

This month's contest on The Pinball Podcast is simple. Just describe the dirtiest machine you've either shopped out or seen on location. We're giving away a couple of cans of one of my favorite products: Crazy Clean.

You can post your stories here. I'm not going to make you visit our site or even download the episode. So...let's hear them!

Here's mine:

I picked up a Taxi for a song, but it was so dirty I don't think anybody would have paid much more. The machine had been in a room where the home owners had put up sheetrock, mudded/taped, and painted. The thing is, they didn't even cover the machine, but to make it worse, they didn't even have glass on the game! White dust was all over in the machine, on top of a good previous 10 years of unshopped dirt and grime.

Every tiny but of the machine had to be disassembled and cleaned deeply. That dust had stuck to every screw, wire, assembly, and bit of wood. Luckily the machine cleaned up nicely, but it was unrecognizable when I got it.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I picked up a Taxi for a song, but it was so dirty I don't think anybody would have paid much more. The machine had been in a room where the home owners had put up sheetrock, mudded/taped, and painted. The thing is, they didn't even cover the machine, but to make it worse, they didn't even have glass on the game! White dust was all over in the machine, on top of a good previous 10 years of unshopped dirt and grime.

I think I tried to buy that taxi from him, I should have bought it from you when you relisted it and had done all the work!

This is still the worst to date.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-path-of-adventure

#4 7 years ago

I don't think that was the same Taxi, actually. I never listed that one locally. I sold it to a guy in California who considered Taxi his grail game. Actually, I never planned on selling, but he's someone that got me to let it go.

#5 7 years ago

Crazy, someone got a great deal on a Taxi around here then. Guy sold it for $500 and it was relisted two weeks later for $900 and sold really fast. I figured that was yours. It was about three years ago.

#6 7 years ago

This PoTC was so dirty that I had to double-check IPDB that it was dirt and not art meant to make the playfield look like a realistically aged treasure map.

dirtypotc.jpg

#7 7 years ago

How about my TZ project? It's still in the queue, I have more projects than many people have pins in their collection

tz.jpg

#8 7 years ago

Holy cow....there as TZ under their )

#9 7 years ago

Wow...nice grammer on that one^

There is a TZ under there??

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

How about my TZ project? It's still in the queue, I have more projects than many people have pins in their collection

This one gets my vote..

#11 7 years ago

Honorable mention for a DE Simpsons I rescued from a retired op after 10 years in his 'shed', which turned out to be a condemned house on his property.

It had squirrels living in it. Seriously. Piles of acorns in the backbox. Mice too probably. I got a TAF, FH, DE Simpsons and Teed off from him. All 4 survived with massive cleanups.

desimp.jpg

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

How about my TZ project?

OMG - you win.

#13 7 years ago

I got my old Swords of Fury from a campsite. It actually had large branches inside of the cabinet. Approx 2-3 feet long, and about 5-6 of them. How the hell does that happen?? hahaha

#14 7 years ago

All you need is for someone to take a hot steamy dump on the playfield and you win hands down!

#15 7 years ago

Haha, that TZ is how my Taxi looked. Good luck when you get around to it. It's a big undertaking getting all that dust out.

I also have an OXO that had mice living in it. Luckily they didn't chew any wires, but it's taking a lot of cleaning to get back to presentable status. They actually stole a bunch of insulation though, and by doing so, the playfield was amazingly well preserved. So on one hand I had to deal with mouse poop and scraps of insulation, paper, and trash all over in there, but on the other hand, the playfield looks excellent.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

johnwartjr said:How about my TZ project? It's still in the queue, I have more projects than many people have pins in their collection
    This one gets my vote..

I don't think it's eligible as it's not yet finished The guy who got the TZ for me restored a few pins from the same flood, a CC, TOTAN, etc. 232 pins perished that day!

http://papa.org/flood.php

The ironic part? I looked up my TZ in the owners registry, trying to determine where it fell in the production cycle, and found it had once been owned by a friend, Rob Bell from California.

I sent Rob an e-mail, and asked him what happened to his TZ. He responded that he sold it to PAPA, and it had been destroyed in the flood.

I like a challenge.

I bought a new playfield for the TZ. The original was perfectly sound, and I sold it to someone, because the touchup/clear that being drilled for the 3rd magnet would require would cost more than a repro. But, the cabinet has a new floor in it, I had a new back for the head made, and a new lamp insert panel CNC'd, just a matter of cleaning and rebuilding at this point.

#17 7 years ago

I think my Kick-Off find has still been the best I've seen for worst. Though, not "on location" .. unless you count under a bridge.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kick-off-rehab

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

John, that is impressive lol

I would hate to see the underside.

Todd

#19 7 years ago

is that twilight zone a pinball machine from the PAPA flood?

pics: http://www.papa.org/flood/

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

I think my Kick-Off find has still been the best I've seen for worst.

I was looking for that thread. It wins hands down

#21 7 years ago

Holy Carp John. You have to be the winner.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Attachments tz.jpg (90.9 KB, 0 downloads) 1 hour old

#22 7 years ago

OK, I'll now have to rename my thread the 'sexy but a little bit dirty' Genie - it doesn't even compare to some of these.

#24 7 years ago

FH that I picked up awhile ago....

IMAG0164.jpg

#25 7 years ago

BBB. Oh, you meant grime? sorry

#26 7 years ago

There is a CFTBL under there somewhere

IMG_4088.jpeg

#27 7 years ago

While it only have about 9K games on route, I don't think it had the glass off since it was put in service

Before and after

// Error: Image 22085 not found // // Error: Image 22086 not found // // Error: Image 22087 not found //

#28 7 years ago

Nice job cleaning up that Spider-Man. Mine shined up like brand new as well and I got it in a pretty dirty condition. Yours looks dirtier, however.

#29 7 years ago

have shopped out plenty of "container pins" but this CFTBL was pretty bad

Dirt, sludge & Caulking

cleaned up altright though

DR

snackcaulk.JPG kisslane.JPG leftramp.JPG playground.JPG rightsling.JPG snackjets.JPG

#30 7 years ago

and heres the "beast" after a spit & polish

cheers

DR

fHOTRODS.JPG fMEGA.JPG fPAID.JPG fTOPpf.JPG fPFflash.JPG

#32 7 years ago

About 3 months ago the wife and I were in Minneapolis. When ever there we head downtown to Mortimer's to play. They had a Tron that looked dirtier than the playfield pic of the CFTBL in this thread. It looked like it was played non stop in a small room by a group of chains smokers. I was shocked the machine was still fast as hell. I was going to take a pic but my phone was dead.
    A close Second would be the playboy located in the Bismark Bar in Fargo. I don't think the glass has ever been taken off but the grime isn't accumulating very fast. Hasn't worked correctly for years so no one plays it.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from devil_rider:

and heres the "beast" after a spit & polish
    cheers
    DR

Attachments fPFflash.JPG (414.2 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old fTOPpf.JPG (472.7 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old fPAID.JPG (466.3 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old fMEGA.JPG (479 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old fHOTRODS.JPG (440.8 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old

Whats up with that hologram, That doesnt look right!! bobblehead???

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from TJ141:

devil_rider said:and heres the "beast" after a spit & polish
    cheers
    DR
    Attachments fPFflash.JPG (414.2 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old fTOPpf.JPG (472.7 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old fPAID.JPG (466.3 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old fMEGA.JPG (479 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old fHOTRODS.JPG (440.8 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old
    Whats up with that hologram, That doesnt look right!! bobblehead???

Hologram was very blue so thought could do better

Funko Force bobble got the "green light" & a new home

Relocated the "side to side" mirror motor assy to the
    hologram support plate & mounted the bobble on that

my real 3D creature rocks "side to side" now in the
    lagoon when you "find him" during multiball & I love it!

and thats only the initial step....theres a bunch of custom
    parts now added since these images

DR

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 89.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside