(Topic ID: 89628)

This just HAS to be legit

By FightNightFZ

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

So I'm selling 3 pins in a package deal on CL, here, and Mr. Pinball.....

I get a text from a Las Vegas area code asking if I still have the deal going and to please email him back at a specific email. Here is the email reply I received.....

"I hope it is in good condition? and there wont be any cause of disappointment if i purchase it from you? I want to buy it for my son as a birthday gift and I am ready to pay the asking price. I'm an Ocean Engineer and am currently on sea right now which is strictly no calls. My Mode of payment is PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the Paypal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account with paypal, it's pretty easy, safe and secure to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make this transaction as fast as possible. Less I forgot, I have a Mover that will come for it once payment is cleared in your paypal account and they will be handling the title for me, as I look forward to hearing from you with your paypal information as requested below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
    Full name:
    Firm Price:

Many Thanks"

What do you think? Legit?

#2 9 years ago

sounds completely legitimate.......

NOT

#3 9 years ago

As long as he pays gift, I'd consider it fairly legitimate.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from FightNightFZ:

What do you think? Legit?

If you are giving away free pins, yup, sounds good to me.

Have their mover bring CASH ONLY. Then you'll never hear from them again.

LTG : )™

#5 9 years ago

gift can easily be reversed FYI...

#6 9 years ago

gag me. As a seller, it is always exciting to get an email inquiring about a game you have listed for sale - however, when you open the email and see it is just a scammer - well, it then disappoints.

Your 3-pin package deal is a good one - I hope to find a WWF in the near future.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from rad:

gag me. As a seller, it is always exciting to get an email inquiring about a game you have listed for sale - however, when you open the email and see it is just a scammer - well, it then disappoints.
    Your 3-pin package deal is a good one - I hope to find a WWF in the near future.

Yeah, I get all excited............and then let down. It's almost as bad as the guy who acts like its the best deal ever, makes you take time out of your busy day to show him the pins, says he's interested and will call you in a bit..............then nothing.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If you are giving away free pins, yup, sounds good to me.
    Have their mover bring CASH ONLY. Then you'll never hear from them again.

I'm going to email him that right now and see what happens

#9 9 years ago

That is a pretty standard scam. The only difference between this one and one I saw 5 years ago was the use of paypal instead of money order. But then again, I just bought a pin sight unseen and I am in Africa with no way for the seller to call me, unless you work for the military. It helps that I have some cred on the site though.

#10 9 years ago

I'd visit paypalsucks-dot-com and read the nightmares about paypal itself, people scam through it all the time too!

#11 9 years ago

Yeah I haven't used it very much except for through ebay. It's funny, their corporate offices are like a block from where I work. They're always hiring.

#12 9 years ago

I asked him to have his movers bring cash. Here is response #2:

"I am glad to read back from you. I would have love to handle this transaction face to face but due to the nature of my job time does not permit me and neither could I make a call, i really need to get it for my son. Please, i want you to get back to me with your paypal info so that i can proceed with the payment and as soon as payment clears my shipping agents will come for the pick up..."

This is getting fun, what should I ask next?

#13 9 years ago

Most of the Paypal sucks stories are from buyers getting screwed by sellers... Everyone jumps on "scam!" but what is the exact method of scamming OP through PayPal? Paypal is way more on the side of the seller, the opposite of CC companies.

What is the scammer going to do with OP's email address other than send him money? If OP withdraws the money to his bank account before shipping, how does he get scammed?

#14 9 years ago

I mean I would love to believe this guy, trust me it's a win for both of us. 3 pins for 4300OBO and I get the money I need to move on. But I have no experience with PayPal and it just reeks of sketchness.

#15 9 years ago

I'm an Ocean Engineer and am currently on sea right now which is strictly no calls

Haven't we heard this part of the story before, like last month, and the month before that?

#16 9 years ago

If anyone has the link to those threads please share.

#17 9 years ago

I mean I would love to believe this guy, trust me it's a win for both of us. 3 pins for 4300OBO and I get the money I need to move on. But I have no experience with PayPal and it just reeks of sketchness.

Scam the scammer's all I'm trying to say.

#18 9 years ago

This is getting fun, what should I ask next?

If you can go to his house and F his wife.

If she's any good you'll knock $5 off the price of your games.

#19 9 years ago

If anyone has the link to those threads please share.

Here, this one's better.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scammer-alert-watch-out-for-this-guy

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

If OP withdraws the money to his bank account before shipping, how does he get scammed?

PayPal will put your account into a negative balance and any funds you add or receive will first go towards that negative amount. If you keep a negative balance for over 30 days, they will send you to collections and close your account. This will eventually appear on your credit report and you will be constantly hounded to repay the negative balance. It doesn’t matter that you were scammed out of your money; you’ll have to dispute the payment and likely take the matter to court to have it resolved.

This is one of many ways. Google Paypal scams.

#22 9 years ago

If you have to ask, then yes it is a scam.

#23 9 years ago

I told him I'd take 500 bucks off if I could bang his wife but he has to send me a pic first. We'll see how this goes.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If you can go to his house and F his wife.
    If she's any good you'll knock $5 off the price of your games.

Is his wife's name Brandie? Is she a fine girl? (Google Looking Glass).

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

PayPal will put your account into a negative balance and any funds you add or receive will first go towards that negative amount. If you keep a negative balance for over 30 days, they will send you to collections and close your account. This will eventually appear on your credit report and you will be constantly hounded to repay the negative balance. It doesn’t matter that you were scammed out of your money; you’ll have to dispute the payment and likely take the matter to court to have it resolved.
    This is one of many ways. Google Paypal scams.

That may be the case, but if you get SIGNATURE confirmation for anything over $250, you have nothing to worry about at all. Anything under $250 with delivery confirmation and you are covered. People love to hate on Paypal (not saying you are Lloyd) but I've had some really bad situations turn good thanks to paypal. I'm not kidding when I say that that they gave me literally $900 back to my account thanks to someone who tried to scam me out of 2 Xbox Ones last year. They took a massive headache off of my hands!

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Is his wife's name Brandie? Is she a fine girl?

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

(Google Looking Glass)

No need.

#28 9 years ago

I kinda miss the Nigerian twist on these mails .... God Bless and your family !!

#29 9 years ago

If anyone thinks this is even remotely legitimate is an idiot waiting to lose their money.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from redmamanora:

If anyone thinks this is even remotely legitimate is an idiot waiting to lose their money.

Hey, hey now! Stephen just wants to surprise his kid with pinball machines on his birthday. He's having a tough time as an Ocean Engineer right now and he can only send a text to link a person to his email. Life is hard out there on the rig and he's just strengthening a father/son bond through pinball.

His heartwarming story of sadness, perseverance, and ability to rise above it all to deliver a 3 pinball package to his son on his birthday is the thing movies are made of. There is no way someone would lie about this! I have to go off my instincts and say this is legit and make the deal happen.

#31 9 years ago

I have to go off my instincts and say this is legit and make the deal happen.

When you are done there, I've got a great deal on an old bridge.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When you are done there, I've got a great deal on an old bridge.

Probably an easier sale than what I've got going on right now lol.

#33 9 years ago

I have ben struggling with this from the opposite end. I'm in New Zealand trying to buy a pinball to ship over here. People automatically assume that since I can only pay with PayPal and that I'm overseas and don't call them that I'm scamming. I don't understand how I could. If I'm the one making the payment as a gift, how could the recipient get scammed? Especially if I make a deposit.

Surely it's not hard to simply not let the pinballs out the door if you haven't yet received the money for them …

#34 9 years ago

I think there are just so many variables that people don't understand when it comes to PayPal and shipping. Things that aren't understood tend to scare people away and scared people make rash judgments (Oh it must automatically be a scammer). I have little knowledge of PayPal and zero when it comes to shipping a pin, so I guess I fall in the boat of being a little leery. I don't want to, trust me. I'd love to sell these pins!

#35 9 years ago

Hey, hey now! Stephen just wants to surprise his kid with pinball machines on his birthday. He's having a tough time as an Ocean Engineer right now and he can only send a text to link a person to his email. Life is hard out there on the rig and he's just strengthening a father/son bond through pinball.
    His heartwarming story of sadness, perseverance, and ability to rise above it all to deliver a 3 pinball package to his son on his birthday is the thing movies are made of. There is no way someone would lie about this! I have to go off my instincts and say this is legit and make the deal happen.

Your kidding right?

#36 9 years ago

No, dead serious. He just emailed me saying he needs to pay the $900 commission fee to his agent but has no access to his bank account on the rig. He needs me to western union the money to his agent to complete the transaction. At least he'll add the $1000 to the paypal to cover the costs. Ugh, looks like I'm heading to western union after work. The things dads do for their kids birthdays, luckily he found a nice guy like me.

#37 9 years ago

What the hell is an Ocean Engineer, anyways?

#38 9 years ago

"Ocean Engineering is a multidisciplinary engineering field aimed at solving engineering problems associated with working in the ocean environment and wisely exploring and harnessing the ocean’s resources. Ocean engineers design, build, operate and maintain ships, offshore structures and ocean technologies as diverse as aircraft carriers, submarines, sailboats, tankers, tugboats, yachts, oil rigs, underwater robots, and acoustic sonar."

#39 9 years ago

See. Totally. Legit.

#40 9 years ago

So... What exactly IS the preferred method most pinsiders use to complete sales of pins?
    I assume I'll be needing to know eventually.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

So... What exactly IS the preferred method most pinsiders use to complete sales of pins?
    I assume I'll be needing to know eventually.

Because you're going to sell me your TSPP right with the money I get from this Ocean Engineer right?

#42 9 years ago

So you gonna bang his wife or what? You make me laugh dude. I love messing with these bastards too.

#43 9 years ago

I assume I'll be needing to know eventually

COD baby! And that has nothing to do with the ocean.

#44 9 years ago

So far he hasn't responded to that question yet. I assume he's wrangling up a way to scan his pocket pool picture of his wife so he can email it to me. But from what I can tell, he's really excited that I care about his son's birthday and am committed to getting the pins to his house. I see a dumb and dumber road trip coming.

#45 9 years ago

Patrick, nice collection. Looks like I know whos house i'm chilling at in the near future.

#46 9 years ago

So... What exactly IS the preferred method most pinsiders use to complete sales of pins?I assume I'll be needing to know eventually.

Cash and Carry for me. And not the grocery store chain in Florida, either.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

I have been struggling with this from the opposite end. I'm in New Zealand trying to buy a pinball to ship over here. People automatically assume that since I can only pay with PayPal and that I'm overseas and don't call them that I'm scamming. I don't understand how I could. If I'm the one making the payment as a gift, how could the recipient get scammed? Especially if I make a deposit.
    Surely it's not hard to simply not let the pinballs out the door if you haven't yet received the money for them …

Not sure how someone could get PAYPAL to recover their money if they sent it as a gift, but scammers always find a way around the system. Even if you don't think there is a way, why take the risk? It's easier to just deal with someone more local.

You don't have to be dealing with someone from another country to get scammed either.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is use your good reputation. Point people to pinside so they can see you exist and are who you say. If you have good EBAY feedback, point them to that as well.

If I'm a seller, I want to sell my machine to you, I just don't want to get cheated.

#48 9 years ago

He just emailed me saying he needs to pay the $900 commission fee to his agent but has no access to his bank account on the rig. He needs me to western union the money to his agent to complete the transaction.

Why doesn't he paypal his agent the $900.00 bucks?

#49 9 years ago

Because you're going to sell me your TSPP right with the money I get from this Ocean Engineer right?

LOL---I seriously doubt I'll ever sell it---but I DO hope to ADD another pin in the near future...

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

Why doesn't he paypal his agent the $900.00 bucks?

Because he said that the agent will only take a money order.

Quoted from cheesewhisperer:LOL---I seriously doubt I'll ever sell it---but I DO hope to ADD another pin in the near future...

Yeah I hear you, that's one pin that has me trying to sell 3 as a package right now. I want to get one!

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-just-has-to-be-legit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.