(Topic ID: 292222)

This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!

By zpinman370

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,622 posts
  • 817 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Oneangrymo
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!”

• Who's In 440 votes
    45%
  • Who's Out 198 votes
    20%
  • Don't Care 337 votes
    35%

(975 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0962 (resized).jpeg
mandalorian-mudhorn-1 (resized).JPG
mandalorian-mudhorn-2 (resized).JPG
IMG_4425 (resized).JPG
IMG_4423 (resized).JPG
IMG_4422 (resized).JPG
IMG_4424 (resized).JPG
mythosaur (resized).jpg
IMG_5792 (resized).jpg
manda22 (resized).jpg
IMG_0740 (resized).jpg
IMG_0739 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210840 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_205916 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210650 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230714_211645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2976 Super Awesome Pinball Show interview with Brian Eddy. Posted by jellikit (2 years ago)

Post #3298 First look and initial impressions. Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2045 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

To be honest i don’t understand how it « flows » in the child lanes. Where balls fall?

It goes up the center ramp and then falls down to the PF next to the C lane.

The Baby Yoda area just looks like some rubbers in increase ball play with the magnet that seems opto based.

#2051 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

It seems to get a physical lock at the end of the ramp before falling down to the left orbit, correct?

If it was a physical lock, they'd advertise it as such.

#2279 2 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Is it me or could they better use of space for the mini pf? Like put it under the pf like in AC/DC.
Then put something else in its place like a Krayt Dragon popping out of the pf to swallow the ball randomly. Or move the Razor Crest to 3 load balls, then fire them at the player randomly when all 3 locked.
[quoted image]

I agree this looks better, but then you're getting way too different for the pro model

At least based on the assumption that a lower playfield is a non-starter on a Pro's BOM. Because if the premium helmet is a lower playfield, then it has a whole different upper right side...but the pro uses that area for its helmet...so then then the differences between the two start to get really drastic, which is probably a manufacturing headache.

#2292 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m in for a premium but am really bummed about there not being full RGB lighting for this game. All the hype about how loaded this game would be had me assuming it would have an amazing Lightshow of some kind to compete with games like GnR and R&M...

Yeah it feels like a step backwards from the expression lighting in LZ

Guess it got cost cut? Or maybe Mado was too far in development before the expression lighting on LZ was finalized?

Seems like the kind of thing that should be in all games.

#2294 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

This is a waste of a magnet.[quoted image]

At least there is a representation of force powers on this Star Wars

#2319 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

AFAIK the only FULL RGB games are Woz, TnA and R&M.. Hobbit, STLE both had white GI...

Aren’t American games all RGB? It’s been a while since I played one

Celts was all RGB as well to my knowledge. Fathom Mermaid as well

#2340 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why? Wouldn't you prefer Stern actually put thought into it vs spamming every game with it like it's necessary?

It’s not necessary. But it’s a fun accessory like shooter knobs and toppers.

Not every game needs them elaborately synched to the game soundtrack like LZ.

You know Dwight could do wonders with a bunch of extra RGBs to play with.

Just seemed odd to not make them a standard accessory

#2632 2 years ago

I think Baby Yoda is great for pulling in new players. If it did something, it would keep them coming back. It needn't be Rudy complicated, but whatever. It's good enough for most. Besides people will focus on the magnet whipping the ball around and forget the doll doesn't do anything.

The magnet over the roll over lanes and pops is a simple design, but I think they can do some fun magnet tricks with it. That could wow the novice player, and more experienced players don't have to complain about the magnet tricks sending the ball down the middle.

That area is definitely more interesting than the standard 3 pop and roll over cluster. Let's see how the code adds a level of skill to a relatively safe playfield feature

Overall a lot of the playfield seems safe. The Baby Yoda area, the helmet is almost like a bash toy that doesn't punish the player, a few ways to stop the ball to calm things down, a standard fan layout of 7 shots where most of the shots would appear to have safe ball returns.

Most Brian Eddy games have had big sucker shots/bash toys in them. So this is a bit of a departure. It has the target that raises up and down (fun idea, sorta like a drop target but the opposite?), but it's not exactly like the bash toys in MM/AFM/ST.

Theme doesn't do anything for me, but I'm always excited to pour over a new design. I look forward to playing it.

#3072 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I don't think it is going to be active all the time, it would be lazy coding?

Lazy is harsh. It’s a low priority luxury that could cause more gameplay issues than fixing a minor esthetic issue.

People would be a lot more upset if it didn’t flip when they think it should than getting them flipping when they maybe don’t need to.

I don’t disagree that they should stay static when the playfield isn’t in use, but I recognize how much additional testing and issues could arise.

That’s why most separate playfield flippers are always live. People point out the cabinet leaf switches for flippers. But what about the switches that are supposed to help track where the ball is? It’s not the end of the world if the switch before entering the playfield is misadjusted if the flippers are always live.

#3078 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

as stated before, a ball is continuously cradled in the mini PF by software. There is a diverter at the top already that triggers everything else. It captures the ball first and then diverts it I think. So the interaction with the 'switch' should happen there and then.
If the flipper can be held up by software, why not disabling it too? The same way the mini PF movement is disabled or active when needed...
There is also a FULL mode that controls power to the flippers, so there is extensive code done for this in the sense that it can truly be controlled by software. The mode is called impossible something, I don't care to remember...
Anyway... I would like them to be disabled, we can do it now... this is not the 90s anymore.

It’s irrelevant that the game can hold the flipper up. The issue is player frustration when the flipper doesn’t flip up when they expect it to.

The limited flipper hold meter game mode may apply to the upper playfield as well as the lower. (Or heck, the base game may have some no holds up there too for some modes)

#3355 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

That’s not “Baby Yoda” It’s Grogu, it’s an entirely different character. Make sure your kids know they before they get schooled by some huge playground nerd haha.

Are the Star Wars kids the school bullies these days? Times have changed....

#3396 2 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

John Wick for a ten year old???

This is America. Violence is fine as long as there is no naughty language or sex.

#3492 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Could this have been done with a "sacrificial" surface? Magnet under the playfield, but that "under the playfield" segment is a drop in flap that can be replaced and hooked up after wear becomes unacceptable to the owner? Every engineering issue has a solution. Just takes time to find it and make it cost effective in this case.

That's basically how we got the modern magnet design. A magnetic core with an protective metal collar around it, each replaceable/adjustable.

Some intrepid modder can make some stickers for it like they have on other games with this magnet design.

#3498 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I think they should have done a jump ramp, with two landings and a magnet on one side. Then when the ball is the air the child could force push or pull it as a diverter. Would be pretty easy and no wear.

Seems like it would have to be a very strong magnet to pull a ball flying through the air a noticeable distance. Some games have been good at using jump ramps to catch a ball (NBA, Goldeneye) or using magnets as a diverter (TOTAN), but that would be a pretty cool trick if they can pull it off.

While speaking of magnet tricks, bring back the wand from Capcom Magic

#3510 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Maybe just have it drop down so there is less momentum. Games with magnets seem to have no problem stopping a ball at full speed or pulling it in. I don't see any reason why this would be hard to figure out. I'm not talking Houdini throws on the ball. Even if he just pushed it as it rolled in front of him would be a way cooler toy then we got.

Well that's because the magnet is a lot closer to the ball, a few mm if not directly touching. Magnetic force is inversely proportional to the distance squared. So the magnetic force on a ball 3mm away is 100 times greater than if it was 30mm away. So a ball flying through the air would have some distance between the magnet and the ball and it would need to be a very strong magnet to affect the trajectory.

#3516 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The best use of that magnet would have been in the outlane or center drain ala Black knight or ACNC save.

Actually that Goldeneye/ACNC center magnet would be a pretty fun ball save on Mando. It was a good force power reveal on the show where he saves Mando from that one beast. Have the child save your draining ball just before dying

#3528 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You’re nuts. Shadow lock for sure.
Also the kraken on Legends of Valhalla is a very foot magnet too.

What does it do on LOV? Short video clip?

#3602 2 years ago

Yeah Monster Bash has more stuff on the playfield, but the code is shallow (fine enough for most people though).

Mando has more sculpts than a typical Stern, licensed video/audio from a modern hit TV show, a celebrity on voice call outs, and a much deeper rule set in comparison.

That’s the modern trade off. Depth for home collectors at the expense of playfield features (and considering how many calls I do to replace a simple coil stop, a lot of home owners don’t really want to maintain a complex game)

#3610 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

They can always buy " The Pin" or Virtual pinball
Unless you got some deep pockets owing a mechanical device means having to learn to service a few things.

I feel like most people buying NIB have deep pockets. Especially the ones who just want a few things in their gameroom that maybe get played five hundred times tops.

Paying someone $75 to fix a flipper is chump change on a $9,000 game.

#3668 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Great point. Usually the stream is a day or two after the release.

Wasnt AIQ a bit behind because they worked with Marvel to be on the front page of Twitch?

I was surprised that the stream announcement was so far behind and assumed it was because of it being scheduled for the front page. But I also remember Jack hyping the front page stream for AIQ in advance.

I’m sure theres a sensible boring business reason why the reveal and stream are so spaced apart.

Plus side is the extra two weeks gives Dwight and co more time to put on some initial polish. Some of these reveal streams of games clearly still in the oven do more harm than good IMO.

#3739 2 years ago

Baby Yoda bobblehead confirmed

#3748 2 years ago

First thing Dwight can explain tonight is what the word rotation means. A surprising amount of people need a geometry lesson

#3819 2 years ago

Plastic ramps are a lot cheaper than metal wire forms. Making the ramps compatible with either form is them reducing inventory to manage.

Sure it's only a few dollars difference per game, but it adds up.

#3822 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

About the livestream.
Any guesses on how long Dwight will go on (and on) about ALL the rules before the first ball gets played?
I assume for +/- 35 minutes at least.
Place your bets.

I think Dwight has gotten better about this when he comes with prepared notes. He's always super excited and can go on a mile long tangent on a very minor feature. It's fun in its own way. But yeah, probably 30 minutes lol.

I'm still surprised Stern doesn't do a more produced video that's a bit more focused. Then again, it's probably not worth the effort. Baby Yoda sells the game, not the ten minute overview video.

#3942 2 years ago

This is a great offering overall from Stern. Looks to shoot great, good art package, a fun RPG-lite code base, and they did an above average job with audio and LCD presentation. Definitely makes LZ look like crap in comparison

And I say this as someone who got bored of the show in the middle of the first season. The theme is whatever, the game looks good.

Promising reveal. I think it’ll be one of the better games from anyone the past few years.

#3986 2 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Thanks to everyone who tuned in. Personally I’m proud of how the show went tonight. We ironed out a lot of audio bugs the night before.
Aside from a dumb bulb, I think the game played great. I’m taking that very playfield back to my HQ end of day Monday.
Gotta get that 1 on 1 time.

Giving everyone but Mike a lav was a good call

#4162 2 years ago

I remember Munsters reveal stream where Dwight said the goal of the team was to make an easy rule set, which is why it defaulted to ball save off and such. I think it’s only major flaw is the second time through the code is weak. Definitely a game I put $10 into that summer of release and haven’t thought of since.

Batman 66 was a turd for a year. Now it’s one of the best games (code wise)

Ghostbusters code was ok, but it did need some extra work including the Are You A God super wizard mode that was teased

The difference is Stern was upfront about Batman 66 being a work in progress and they promised they’d come back to Ghostbusters for years before actually doing it

I think Stranger Things was poor when it came out, but you could see the skeleton of a game that they were going to fill out

Mando seems like a good framework. Just needs the polish and the wizard modes that few people will ever actually see.

#4165 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Different opinions are TOTALLY fine. It’s the shit talking after you bought a game too early for what you hoped it would be, and blaming it on others that chaps my ass. Just wait. Why can’t you wait??

If you want a LE you don’t get to wait. It’s annoying AF

#4167 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Is this the first game with spotlights in the apron?

No, plenty do

#4206 2 years ago

I saw a few people pointing out the ball would keep falling off the metal rails. Plastic ramps may actually be better?

#4320 2 years ago

Dwight (and co) is not lazy. He randomly updated GOT for seemingly little financial reason other than a last call on GOT when the update came out, which couldn’t have been that big of a run in 2019.

Munsters last call is coming up I believe. Maybe it’ll get a little love, but don’t peg your hopes on a substantial rework.

It always seemed like a niche title. I think the LE number being bumped up after reveal had more to do with their decision on the black and white vs full color art scheme. And worth noting they eventually ran the color version as a premium

Course I’m just speculating from the outside.

Anyway…I think Mando will sell very well and is going to get more resources than some other titles.

#4412 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Okay show us the evidence that Dwight was suppose to make a shallow no depth throwback game to last in the home environment? Who at Stern told him this: prove it! Suppose some people believe this nonsense because it’s been repeated enough times. John Borg never said or indicated this to be a so called throwback game, nor did Dwight. At no point did Munsters fall into the category of being known as a shallow no depth game, till Dwight suddenly announced the game code was done. Then a “worst code ever” thread was created here on Pinside. No other Stern game as ever had a thread created like that. No consumer of Stern products wants to pay the same price as all the other well supported Stern games and be ripped off code wise, i.e., making a so called “throwback” with today’s prices is absurd and Stern knows this.
Munsters was simply abandoned by Dwight and he didn’t even have the decency to clean up and fix various bugs, etc. Well acknowledged Dwight is a top programmer, but his flat out lackluster coding for Munsters is almost criminal. For Stern to charge the same high prices on Munsters as let’s say SW or TMNT that has code galore is criminal. There is no excuse that Dwight has not increased the value of Munsters as he’s done on all his other games.
All you Stern/Dwight apologists need to stick with your day time job, because all Munster owners are not buying your propaganda excuses that it is suppose to be a simple game. Simple is fine, but simple does not mean lackluster, no significant show material, rinse repeat Munster Madness 3 times, the list of lazy coding goes on and on by Dwight. He literally put so little time and effort into Munsters is a shame to the nth degree.
Obviously not a Munsters owner so you continue to support the lies about what Stern’s so called intentions were. If Stern actually said this from the beginning, this was going to have such shallow code and no depth, because we want to do a “throwback” simple almost no depth at all game, no one would have purchased Munsters and most everyone knows this to be true. Stern has badly treated all Munsters owners and has not given them their monies worth.
Tragic, as many have pointed out, it could have been one of the great top machines, if Dwight would get off his lazy behind and fix the code bugs, add some modes, make distinctions between Munster Madness 1, 2, 3. Give Marilyn, Eddy and Lilly actual modes and increase Herman and Grandpa to a more significant level that they deserve. Do this and Dwight will save his reputation. Ignore this and his reputation will continue to suffer no matter what project he works on. Many will continue to not buy a Dwight coded game, just as Squizz has done. This will continue to haunt him the rest of his career. He did this same nonsense on GB and now he’s done it again on Munsters. Dwight has a history that is well known amongst pinball. He’s a top coder, but needs to finish the job on Munsters and then the stench will fade away on all his other projects too. Stern needs to support him in doing this, with other coders help, if need be, like they did on GB. If not, refund a portion of everyone’s money on Munsters, since they didn’t get their monies worth.
Don’t tell the owners they should just sell at a big loss and move on, that is hogwash too!

Watch Dwight go over the rules from when they were first showing them off.

Starting around 27:45 he even talks about how the features were designed to be easy to get to, which is why it defaulted to the ball save being off

He really goes over the entire game in detail and says the later madness modes are just slightly harder versions. It’s on you.

And no duh Star Wars gets more resources than the Munsters.

#4492 2 years ago
Quoted from GoodOmens:

When is this forum going to get to the Tesla fan forum level of insanity and start counting trucks and doing drone flyovers of the Stern factory?

We have people doing reports on how full the deeproot parking lot is in that thread

1 week later
#4945 2 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

If that’s the case, why release a game if they can’t finish production?

Probably because there is a clock ticking on a licensing agreement and marketing releases were agreed and scheduled in advance.

2 weeks later
#5613 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I don't think they're deep at all, which is actually a plus. Path to the wizard mode is laid out plain as day in the middle of playfield. Gotta love it when just the color, size & placement of inserts can pretty much tell a story. Reminds me of NBA Fastbreak in that regard (shot layout as well). This is a game where most decent players will be able to reach the end, and great players could probably do it multiple times in a single game (again think NBAF).

I'd pay money to actually watch someone get that third championship ring. Such a pointless insert lol

#5619 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

as said above, dont feel Mando is deep
and yes it remind me SW (same coder of course) which is also not really deep (but its just perfect as it)

What do you think a deep game is if Star Wars isn't deep? Tons of modes and multiballs in that.

2 weeks later
#6070 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Wife complained immediately about cross plastics.
She sits on a stool to play and it turned out to be a major obstacle.
So to all you short folks or barstool sitters Beware!
For me the game turned out to be more enjoyable than anticipated.
Plastic not a problem I'm tall.

Did she have much issue seeing the helmet playfield?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,999.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Maine Home Recreation

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Cheap Drainz Shop

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin Wiz Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JK Pinball

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Wentzville, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 19.95
$ 495.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 35.00
Lighting - Backbox
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-the-way-stern-mandalorian-pinball?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.