(Topic ID: 292222)

This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!

By zpinman370

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,622 posts
  • 817 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 43 hours ago by Oneangrymo
  • Topic is favorited by 159 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!”

• Who's In 440 votes
    45%
  • Who's Out 198 votes
    20%
  • Don't Care 337 votes
    35%

(975 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0962 (resized).jpeg
mandalorian-mudhorn-1 (resized).JPG
mandalorian-mudhorn-2 (resized).JPG
IMG_4425 (resized).JPG
IMG_4423 (resized).JPG
IMG_4422 (resized).JPG
IMG_4424 (resized).JPG
mythosaur (resized).jpg
IMG_5792 (resized).jpg
manda22 (resized).jpg
IMG_0740 (resized).jpg
IMG_0739 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210840 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_205916 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210650 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230714_211645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2976 Super Awesome Pinball Show interview with Brian Eddy. Posted by jellikit (2 years ago)

Post #3298 First look and initial impressions. Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shaub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1292 2 years ago
Quoted from Raiders36:

Croc from Happy Gilmore that took his hand lol

haha, that's so good.

#1936 2 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

I don't think this upper playfield is meant to be skillful. Seems more of a flail type game up there...Not sure how that is going to play out over time. Might get boring like ACDC and Munsters.

That's my worry for sure. But when it goes super steep, flailing might actually work out well.

#1951 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

And now, do we know who is on the code?

Dwight Sullivan on code.

#1958 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern tries to make the most basic of features sound like an amazing incredible mech to the point that it becomes confusing. It's no longer just a spinner but a "Super action double movement spinner with player interaction".

Flipper: direct ball interaction using a 3" plastic bat controlled by analog player input

#2006 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Im ok with that mini Upper PF but I hope the ball isnt there all the time like BK SoR.

What's nice is that there is a diverter on the ramp so the ball doesnt have to go through the upper playfield. Thats what BKSOR is missing. So if the code calls for it, send the ball up there. And if it's spending too much time up there, the code can be adjusted for it. In theory at least.

#2020 2 years ago

There is a center ramp that gets around grogu, the ball falls in left orbit, correct or am i wrong?

Correct. The ball goes past that swinging razorcrest target to a small ramp that feeds left and falls into the left orbit coming back toward the player. I believe there is also a diverter on that center "ramp" to diverter to the Grogu rollover lanes.

#2033 2 years ago

So it is a ramp, isn’t it?

Technically yes. But for me, I wouldnt exactly count it the same as the left, right and the 180 degree (prem) ramp.

We can see clearly the entrance on the pic posted by Rockytop

Yep.

#2063 2 years ago

It seems to get a physical lock at the end of the ramp before falling down to the left orbit, correct?

You start a bunch the multiballs and the mini-wizard modes on that center ramp thing so that diverter probably stops and holds the ball while animations play and the multiball starts

#2072 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Maiden has five modes; I didn't hear any complaints.

Good point. Compare that to something like Stranger Things which has like a thousand different modes, I feel like it makes it hard to really connect with any of them. IMDN nails it because all 5 modes are well thought out, fun and difficult.

#2175 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

what did the chick do to get banned from the show?

Quoted from thewool:

Shared an opinion on social media.

She compared being a Republican in the USA to being a Jew in (early) Nazi Germany. Admittedly not the end result of the holocaust but basically a slippery slope argument that Republicans are beginning to be demonized and that is how "it" starts.

Whether you agree with Disney's choice or not, I can at least see why they made it.

#2181 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Its not a upper playfield on the pro correct?

Correct. It's a self contained playfield area but it is part of the main playfield.

#2298 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I think it's a mistake still giving pro owners a mini playfield since many are trying to avoid it by getting the pro model

There is no mini-playfield on the Pro. It's just a flipper and 6 targets.

#2695 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Two ramps are obviously visible, I think I see the third deep up the middle, where does that feed?

It loops back into the left orbit coming back toward the player.

#2776 2 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I like everything in the game so far, except for the mini playfield

Am I the only one getting banzai run vibes out of that upper pf when it goes really steep? sure at 6.5 degrees its kinda bland but jack it up to like 45+ degrees and that tiny flipper gap is gonna feel like Ghostbusters.

I could be wrong and I have no idea just how steep its gonna get but Im excited to try it for sure.

#3148 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Actually it is an issue, it's distracting

Flippers moving on a pinball machine is distracting? Ive heard alot of complaints but that one might be the greatest.

#3157 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Youtubers like, 'A pinball podcast' marvloco are damn near in tears cradling themselves on this game.

Boo! Boo this man!

#3304 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Some people can't stand reading any criticism about a game they plan on owning or already own.

I think I'm the most critical of games I own or have owned. And that is for one simple reason, I know them thoroughly and have thought a lot about what works and what doesn't. I've probably also thought alot about tweaks and changes that would fix "issues" I have with the game.

With that being said, I definitely judge games when they're revealed, but I generally have a "wait and see once I actually play it" mentality. That's what I don't understand about people passionately bashing a game or an element of a game upon reveal.

#3380 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

In Dwight's Super Awesome Pinball show interview, he talked about using different steepness positions at different times during gameplay. I think that's a very cool innovation. Wonder how steep it can go before the ball falls off after a couple fast hits.

He also said for the no-rotating pro version, he was going to simulate the levels of steepness by chanigng flipper power. For example, lower flipper power could give a similar effect as a steeper mini playfield position. Will be interesting to see what that ends up playing like.

I was really curious just how steep it gets and I believe he said 65 degrees, that's pretty steep. Plus it can also go less steep than the normal playfield which could make for some interesting gameplay. For the Pro, youd think a weaker flipper would actually make it easier to keep the ball alive, no?

#3823 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I got the impression nearly every mode ended with an encounter. But if not, cool.

Encounters are their own set of modes, separate from Missions and Razorcrest Multiballs.

#3999 2 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Should have had grogu bash toy

why would the player beat up a small child?

#4117 2 years ago
Quoted from tr8785:

and they believe Gary Stern is the anti christ.

I think that's meant to be a compliment. After all, the anti-christ is also apparently responsible for some of the most kick ass rock music we've got.

#4318 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

To all the nagging Munster owners:
Sell your machine if you don't like the code and try to go on with your life. Maybe you will find some happiness.

A big part of the problem is that no one really wants to buy them.

#4333 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Really? Just sold mine. Granted the price on them has fallen

Thats kinda what I meant. People dont typically wanna take a big loss on a machine, especially at a time where lots of used games are selling for nib prices or higher.

1 week later
#4819 2 years ago
Quoted from November:

Still looks like production problems at Stern...

I don't know that a backlog of games that already have customers is a "problem" for Stern, as long as that line keeps moving, Stern is probably more than happy.

2 weeks later
#5531 2 years ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

This is NOT the way. First NIB and first refused delivery. What a massive disappointment to go from playing Mando this evening to not being sure when you'll even get one (if ever). I blacked out any identifying info as the distributor hasn't had an opportunity to rectify the situation yet. The picture is the first spot I opened to check the game and after that I said take it back. Has anyone dealt with this before? At this point I just want a refund and I'll wait for a local game to pop up for sale eventually

Oh wow, what a buzzkill. Hope they get you sorted out asap.

#5573 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

Can we expect the rules manual soon or not before V1.0?

That's a good question, the problem with those manuals is that as the code continues to develop, they need to continue updating them. As far as I can tell, that isn't something they've done with any of them, though I could be wrong.

In the meantime, I recommend checking out the tiltforums wiki rulesheet. There's a handful of committed people continuously trying to update the rulesheets on the newer, evolving games.

#5607 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I dont care what anybody thinks, Dwight is my favorite coder and makes the most fun coded games in my opinion. Ive hands down had more fun on SW, GB, GOT, and TMNT then any other coder has ever done and expect the same with Mando!

That really is great! Not everyone wants/needs the same things out of a pinball machine. Personally I think Dwight has great ideas but often falls short on the follow through with things like score balancing, tweaking the existing rules to better balance the overall gameplay or under-utilizing playfield features. I owned GB for a long time and I currently own a TMNT, on both of these games, I feel like they could be so much better overall with relatively minor changes and balancing. But again, a lot of my criticisms probably just boil down to personal preferences.

But damn do I love his enthusiasm on the reveal streams.

#5718 2 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Well, I just got word that unless something changes, my pro is will be on the October run which means I'll probably get it in November. #firstworldproblems.

Hey, it may be a firstworldproblem, but its OUR collective firstworldproblem! This is a safe space.

1 week later
#6056 2 years ago

A buddy of mine just set up his Mando Pro last night and I'd like to help him get a few things dialed in.

First off, what does the machine screw for everyone's upper playfield area star post look like? I would have expected something like this: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4424-2 but his is just a philips head screw fastened to the PF with a nut, with the star post sitting on top of it.

Secondly, the ball seems to fall from the ramp diverter and hit the plastic before hitting the playfield, which then prevents the ball from getting any momentum and not making it to the upper flipper most of the time. Has anyone had to adjust that ball feed to work better?

If it was my machine, I'd just start poking around but the more time I spend figuring it out at his house is less time I spend playing it, so any guidance would be appreciated.

#6066 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

played the pro last night, killer game.... but the plastic ramps across the playfield was a bad choice

I still think metal habitrails would be (will be) better than the plastics, but after playing Mando for 4 hours the other night, I can't say I even noticed them once while playing.

#6077 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

plans for wire ramps coming?

Haha, not from me, no.

I just figure someone is likely to do it.

#6314 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Of course there are. Anything that costs less than 100 beskar.

Does anything cost less than 100? Armor is 200 from what I remember, but I can't remember seeing anything for 100.

#6471 2 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

He read all the wire ramps vs. plattic ramps Comments and he commented that plastic ramps were non issue when playing game didn’t even notice them.

I definitely agree that they haven't bothered or distracted me or noticeably obstructed my view in the 30 or so games I've probably played on a Pro. But the wireforms on the Premium still look way better from a strictly cosmetic standpoint.

2 weeks later
#6816 2 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

Finally was able to play this for the first time the other day. I don't think I've ever instantly viscerally disliked a playfield layout/shots more.

There are definitely parts of the layout I dislike but overall Id say it's solid. I like the Razor Crest shot being a nice bail out shot and both ramps shoot pretty good but I despise the way that "u-turn" style shot bounces off the ball guide for such an inconsistent return. My overall biggest complaint about the game is probably the repeatability of the Razor Crest shot combined with the way it's coded. I think if the actual lock shot was different from the lock qualifying shots, it would have felt much less grindy.

1 week later
#6943 2 years ago
Quoted from N101AA:

I'm helping a new location out by getting their games setup. I'm not doing pinball tech stuff for them....I'm just making sure their games are level, pitch is set correct, tilts are reasonable, and etc. While I was leveling a Mando Pro today, I started a test game and immediately got rapid fire phantom switch hits. It jacks up the score and the beskar value real fast, even when a ball is not in play.

I went into the switch test and the problem switch was #40 - 10pt switch. I was at the end of today's visit when I discovered this issue, so I disabled replays and GC/#1 high score credit awards to prevent a million credits going on the game due to the switch issue.

What is the 10pt switch on this game and where is it located? I'm not a pinball tech, but I told the site I would look at it when I'm back tomorrow. Thanks in advance for the responses!

If you look in the manual (found here: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Mandalorian_Pro_web.pdf) you can go to page 16 and 17 to see which switches are where. Switch 40 is near the pop bumpers.

#6950 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

Yep that's it! It was me. This was not spaced appropriately.

Crazy ol' switch#40, always messing around!

#7020 2 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

So looks like they put a nut and washer under the post... is this right or do i need to remove it and make the post flush to the pf?

I wonder why they did it that way instead of putting the nut about the star post or using a post stud like this: https://www.marcospecialties.com//images/products/02-4002-3/detail.jpg

2 weeks later
#7234 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

U missed the whole point I was trying to make. I’m not butt hurt about anything so try not to be a dick .I’m saying if every game is so deep coded that young people coming up don’t take interest or likening to it because of rules n codes then we don’t grow the interest in pinball. If you have games like Munster n others that are simple in codes n rules that people just enjoy n have fun on them we attract more of the younger generation to pinball n keep it growing n alive . This is my point.

The thing about "deep code" is that it has a lot of things to progress through and to. It doesn't mean that it only has that. If a game has nothing intuitive and obvious for beginners to understand, then it's not the depth that is to blame, that is just poor rules design. If you listen to interviews with designers and coders, they often refer to things being "close to the start button" which basically means something obvious that everybody (including beginners) will activate/see and can easily go for.

So I guess what Im saying is, a game like Munsters could be simple for beginners AND deep for better players without having to pick between the two. In fact, that is what I believe makes truly great games.

7 months later
#7589 1 year ago
Quoted from WillieMaysHayes:

How did you handle the install over the hinge bolts? The stern blades have a hole cutout but the wiz blades do not. Thx.

I would install over the hole and then use a scalpel to trace the edges of the hole. Or just leave it maybe and only cut it out if you need to access that bolt?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
11,500 (OBO)
€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Cheap Drainz Shop

$ 19.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,999.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Findlay, OH
$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JK Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 129.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 495.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shaub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-the-way-stern-mandalorian-pinball?tu=shaub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.