(Topic ID: 292222)

This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!

By zpinman370

6 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,426 posts
  • 797 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by wisefwumyogwave
  • Topic is favorited by 207 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!”

• Who's In 425 votes
    44%
  • Who's Out 198 votes
    21%
  • Don't Care 338 votes
    35%

(961 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tie Fighter Mod 1 (resized).jpg
Tie Fighter mod (resized).jpg
IMG_5623 (resized).jpg
IMG_5624 (resized).jpg
IMG_5622 (resized).jpg
D552F2B5-C68E-4001-81F4-9E4D7F86B508 (resized).jpeg
Mezel Mods foundry scoop light (resized).jpg
20211004_170546 (resized).jpg
20210818_193825 (resized).jpg
20210910_195820_capture (resized).jpg
Bare Post Mando LE (resized).jpg
65893667-A247-4E6A-9CC3-677954BA59DD (resized).jpeg
39F87BE0-04DF-401E-B143-859B04F92E40 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7908 (resized).JPG
IMG_0676 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0685 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2976 Super Awesome Pinball Show interview with Brian Eddy. Posted by jellikit (5 months ago)

Post #3298 First look and initial impressions. Posted by ZMeny (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 months ago

ManDELOREAN! Super fake out.

#9 6 months ago
Quoted from LordHumungus:

Sounds great to me but I would much prefer a OG take. StarWars bounty hunter? Yep but comic style art, animated graphics with each mode being a new Alien that needs to be found and captured to collect the bounty etc. Based on the show? still interested just prefer it OG. Either way better than a new starwars game based on the terrible trilogy woke douchebags just gave us. Best case. A dedicated Darth Vader pin.

Original take could be cool or be like Avengers with odd static animations flying out and terrible callous. Maybe Mando will say "It's time to go binary"!

#69 5 months ago

Trying to get on a "for sure" LE spot list has been crazy, everyone I've contacted is already full...

If someone knows of a distrubtor with LE spots please message me. Thank you.

#73 5 months ago
Quoted from LordHumungus:

Is that a reference to me being a member of Pinside for a year? Fooilish mistake kind sir. Use to be Hazoff and this is year 8 for me. Not that it should matter anyway. Also its shows 1yr for u so is a yearling really calling another yearling a yearling. Never even heard that term before. Sounds like something from a 60's western. "Dat boy der be a yearling"

Glad u love the game, so many pins come close and most far surpass it for me. Maybe u have to be huge GnR fan but the theme and live concert thing just wasn't for me. I'll take Maiden, Met and Ac/Dc long before GnR, even Aerosmith.

Glad you like the Stern ones. Will take GNR over any of the Stern music pins. The Stern ones are fun but not anywhere near close to being on the same level as GNR in my opinion. Sold both AC/DC and Metallica after a while, too many dull modes focused on hitting the same shot over and over again versus working the playfield in interesting ways.

#118 5 months ago

New details from Kaneda are rumors of a rotating mini playfield with 6 drop targets, and a ship with a target below that when hit reveals a hidden ramp.

Who will be on code though? I'm very happy with what Dwight eventually did with Ghostbusters but it took 3 years and what seemed like the Supreme Court ruling for the code to be completed properly. Code for Munster's seems incredibly shallow and disappointing. How deep is Turtles compared to say Ghostbusters?

#128 5 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

(Okay, will restate it in the public forum, as more of a public discussion then.)
We all know JJP machines, including GNR don’t shoot all that well. That’s precisely why they are loaded with lights to distract from all the deficiencies. Let’s face it, JJP has way overpriced their games because of years of fiscal irresponsibility, which we all pay for when we buy their machines. LEDs are cheap, drumsticks are a couple bucks, plastic cymbals are a few cents from china, rotating hat has no ball interaction, guitar neck doesn’t do anything of real interest. GNR the band put out a handful of albums with tons of covers. Not sure how or why these few items listed here have some how raised the bar to anything in pinball. If lots of irritating flashing in the eyes is an immersive experience: I can’t figure that one out at all. No one has ever played anything like that at Stern, because they know how to make fun pinball, that shoots great. After all, most all the pros at Stern once worked at Bally/Williams who set the real bar/standard years ago.
I wasn’t excited for Mando at first, but now after thinking more about it, it could be a winner with Eddy doing it in the vain of The Shadow. It’ll be a sell out.

This is the most fanboyish post I've ever read on Pinside in over 10 years damn lol. I'm not even wasting my time defending JJP here. Just damn dude.

Stern should send you one of those $1,000 plastic TMNT toppers that "tracks" you with a plastic eyeball for free. You deserve it after that performance.

You've won!

Capture (resized).JPG

#130 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If not Mandolorian but something in star wars world could it not be something from last trilogy and the first order?

I sure hope not as the new trilogy is 90% garbage in my opinion. Disney rushed those 3 movies out of greed to make as much money as they could as fast as they could. They didn't care about making a quality well thought out trilogy. The worst and saddest thing about the whole mess is they blew the one opportunity to reunite Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford on screen together. What a waste. Also, the first order is such a lame concept. The Empire is destroyed but within 20 years or whatever there's a new more evil group with an even more evil weapon called The First Order? Just lame, The First Order is a terrible enemy too compared to The Empire.

Mark Hamill talking about The Last Jedi, "In Hollywood, remember kids, it’s not important if it’s high quality. It only matters if it makes money".

Sorry for the rant lol.

#131 5 months ago

Latest from Kaneda. Carl Weathers on callouts sounds awesome. It may all come down to who is coding the game it seems...

Designer: Brian Eddy
Artist: Randy Martinez
Coder: ???
Callouts: Carl Weathers
Full music and clips from show (all assets)
Reveal Date: May 11 (teaser May 4)
LE #: 600
Beskar Steel Mirrored Backglass on LE
Rotating Upper Playfield with 2 flippers and 6 drop targets
Ship toy with hanging target that reveals ramp

#134 5 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

[quoted image]

Lol. I really hope someone releases a custom sound package for the game that features Carl Weather callouts from the Rocky films, Predator, and Happy Gilmore. Press the flipper buttons and here "There is no tomorrow" and after giving a bounty puck "He got me, but I tore one that bastards eyes out" haha.

#141 5 months ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Can you give examples of working the playfield in interesting ways with GnR that isn't just shoot the rotating lit shots?

There are pins that have modes where the player is forced to hit the same shot over and over again. I think that's repetitive and boring.

In GNR you are shooting rotating shots (as on a majority of pins) but there's a set number of them per song, the shot requirements can change as you progress through a song (or collect a song jackpot to stop), and there's mode choreography (animations, music, sound effects, etc) being played as shots are made.

The shot requirements in GNR change by song, and each has a sense of stages as shot requirements change as the song is played through. Each song can be played a multiball or single ball mode, it's up to the player adding another layer of depth. That's entirely different and unique compared to a majority of main modes in say ACDC or Metallica that has a player bashing the same shot over and over again with the same single animation playing. Hit the ramp 10x, hit the orbit 10x, hit the snake 10x...ugh.

#143 5 months ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

For Metallica specifically, I used to think that was what it was about too. It has some pretty great depth with regards to strategy actually. Combos, stacking, Crank it Up, Justice, and all those things can be done in ways that can save shots, get multipliers, etc. I am still learning it now that it is back in my house for the second time.

Yeah those Crank it Up modes are awesome. I was just bummed that to get to them you had to play through a good number of bash modes. Metallica is still an awesome pin, I enjoyed its ruleset more then ACDC.

#147 5 months ago

The one thing that would be a deal breaker for me is if the game is only based on the first season. The first season is good but the second season heavily expands on the show and has far bigger moments in it. The fist two seasons feel like they can represent a beginning, middle, and end for the story even though more seasons are coming. Just the first season though? No way, that's really just the beginning of the story. The second season is just so damn good.

The second season came out just last October, that doesn't really sound like enough time to have the 2nd season represented in the game but who knows. I don't see Disney giving Stern details about the second season months prior but who knows.

#152 5 months ago
Quoted from alveolus:

They charged extra for a code update?

Well, there's a terrible but unique mode that is only unlocked if you have the Stern JP topper.

#155 5 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Code/rules come very late in a game’s production. You can make any rules and content once a physical design is done...usually inserts are vague enough to go along with any rules you want to create. The game will have both seasons worth of content/story.

That's great to hear about it having both seasons, I sure hope so! Kaneda said he thinks the game will be based on season 1, not season 2...However, he also said that (spoilers) a model of Slave 1, Bobba Fett's ship is in the game which doesn't make any sense if the pin is based just on season 1 as Slave 1 doesn't appear until season 2.

Now I'm imaging a mode with this scene and sound affects in it. Yup, take my money lol.

#158 5 months ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

It really is a huge IP. Baby Yoda/the child was full on meme status along with "this is the way". The show has some really great moments, music, casting, etc. It has a "feel" that is the closest thing to the original trilogy out of pretty much anything else released in film or tv type content.

Agree! I know what you mean by having that original trilogy feel.. The time period it is set in is also very interesting. The Empire has been defeated, the new Republic has control, you know Luke, Han, and Leia are out there and best of all none of the stupid crap from the new trilogy has occurred yet.

#175 5 months ago
Quoted from Indypin:

I hope Kaneda is wrong about the spaceship going to be the Slave 1. C'mon, as much as I love Boba and his ship it's gotta be the Razorcrest.
That being said, wouldn't it be cool if somehow Stern puts in a mode when Boba releases the seismic charge bomb from the back of his ship? Hit a scoop with a video playing Boba releasing the bomb, the pin goes dark and silent and when it explodes we get a light show with a multiball!
Sorry, I just had a nerdgasm. Getting a napkin now.

Oh yeah! There's some awesome ideas there.

I can see the Slave 1 seismic charge being dropped, the playfield going dark briefly and then once its denoted an insane light show going off that starts spreading out from the center of playfield with the explosion sound playing. That's a must!

Thanks for the petty downvotes Thunderbird, sad lol.

#196 5 months ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Sounds expensive...who's ready for a real nice price increase?

Sure hope not, games are already insanely priced for what we are getting.

I can say that one distributor I contacted quoted me a price of $9200 for an LE. That should be the same price as LZ and AIQ LE?

#206 5 months ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Been a long time and I come back and still see you promoting anything made by jersey jack, hehe. Tried GNR here in LA and it shoots like crap. Did like all the lights, but the game play has little to be desired. It seemed like multiball after multiball, just like Hobbit. Hehe. Not sure what else there is to this table except a good light box, with lots of multiballs. Wanted to like it, but everyone I’ve talked to, said pretty much the same thing, not much to the table except the music is fun. But a CD playing does that for not much money, hehehe
One thing we can agree, ugh at hitting ramps 10x, orbits 10x, etc. GNR has similar doing that, because there is not much else to do, except lock balls. Hehehe You’re right GNR is quite boring, with same shots forced ad nauseam into multiballs.

Haven't seen you in a while and within minutes of being back you are bashing JJP again, I expect nothing less haha. Welcome back lol.

I'm not getting in a debate again about JJP versus Stern. I just prefer games, whether made by Stern or JJP, that primarily have objective based modes with great mode choreography over modes solely focused on points. Stern did this great with Ghostbusters and Star Trek modes for example. Hoping for something similar with Mando. On a few lists for an LE.

#213 5 months ago

Kaneda is now also reporting that Mando will have full assets from seasons 1 and 2. Sounds like this game is gearing up to be a huge hit for Stern.

Let's just hope the code is great and has an epic deep ruleset.

#220 5 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is the LE sold out everywhere? Is the rumor true that they will make 800 of them? That is wild if they make 800 and they are sold out prior to announcement. Good for Stern if so.

Seems just about based on the 4 larger distributors I contact but that's just people on lists without putting any money down. Once the "Your $9200 payment is due" calls and emails start I bet we see a good number of people drop out, seems to happen with every new LE.

Kaneda mentioned something about 600 LE's being made, not sure how accurate that is...

#272 5 months ago
Quoted from arcadem:

It's Mando. 100% it's Mando as assured to me by someone in the know...sorry but I can't divulge who it is but I trust him completely.

Cool. The timing seems to good for it to not be Mando with tomorrow being May 4th. Hopefully there's a teaser tomorrow showing the playfield.

#277 5 months ago

Should we expect to see playfield pictures today or just logos? I would think Stern would make the announcement soon if they are revealing anything today.

#288 5 months ago
Quoted from jellikit:

[quoted image]

Getting closer hopefully.

#296 5 months ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Ppl tomorrow lol
[quoted image]

Today please! (doesn't look like it at this point)
tenor (resized).png

#536 5 months ago
Quoted from roar:

The lead characters are entirely void of any sort of depth, one wears a mask all the time and offers very little in terms of range or even dialogue and the other is an animated baby, a baby that can't talk, can barely communicate and every couple of episodes does something interesting

Will disagree with this. I've never seen so much range from an actor that wears a mask nearly 100% of the time, you can tell his emotions through his body language. There are a couple scenes (spoilers) where his mask does come off and when that happens the depth of the character comes out even more. You see Mando in the first episode as this emotionless badass and as the show goes on, as he meets baby Yoda, and cares for him you see his emotions come out. It's very well done in my opinion and is the best Star Wars content since the original trilogy.

As for Baby Yoda, same thing. Disney used a puppet for the character (thankfully instead of CGI) and puts a lot of emotion into the character. You can see Baby Yoda's body language reacting to events, facial reactions as he's figuring things out, learning, thinking, etc. There's some great comedy moments in there as well.

#709 5 months ago

So I called back one of the distributors where I'm on a list for an LE. I was told they still don't know how many LE's they are getting and this is one of the larger distributors.

#761 5 months ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

lol thanks for spoiling the show dude, what the actual fuck

It's not Luke, he's pulling your leg. Jar Jar is who actually pops up at the end and says "Mesa Back", then fade to black.

#796 5 months ago

There's been a lot of crap given to Dwight in this thread but he's probably created the best story based pinball rulesets for Stern in recent years. A majority of Stern's other coders seem focused on points style modes for tournament play with little mode choreography (shots, stages, animations, moments, music etc time to shots). Coding moments is something Dwight is great at, I wish we would see more of that from Stern's other coders. Sure Munsters was a dud code wise but maybe that was the designers vision for a more simple ruleset? Ghostbusters code is amazing (yes it took 3 years to complete lol), Star Trek is great, and most recently TMNT seems incredibly deep and well received.

#836 5 months ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

Posted on Kaneda FB page..
[quoted image]

What rank do you have to be to get access to the preview? Is this admiral level only?

#873 5 months ago

Hoping for no more then 600 LE's, that was Kaneda's rumored number. An LE should be rare, counts above 500 start to become too much.

#892 5 months ago

Kaneda is now reporting 750 LE's, up from 600 due to pressure from distrubtors or something.

Will that high of count versus 500 impact resale values? Who knows. A good chunk though will go overseas.

#935 5 months ago

Just doesn't seem cool to charge over MSRP at these insane prices. I'm glad there are some distrubtors that won't charge over MSRP for this title.

MSRP + free shipping + no tax = buy from that distributor if you can!

#955 5 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:

750 units is not limited in my book.

JJP laughing

CourageousUnknownDingo-size_restricted.gif

#975 5 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

JJP CE = Stern LE

I don't think so. Stern just doesn't do an SLE model with every release as JJP now appears to be doing with every title.

JJP LE = Stern LE

JJP CE = Stern SLE

#991 5 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

JJP also doesn't make a Pro so.... LE = CE

A JJP standard would be equal to a Stern Premium considering what's in it and the price point. The main reason we see people say JJP CE = Stern LE is they may want to portray that JJP charges nearly $3k more over Stern for what they believe is a "similar" model which isn't true. If we play that game a JJP LE has more in it then any Stern SLE, Platinum, Double Diamond, and Couch edition model.

#1087 5 months ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

You keep telling yourself this, but the market says differently. BTW, with JJP recent $1,000.00 price increase, CEs go to $13,500.00, the difference is not “nearly $3k”, it is $4,300.00. (Stern LE $9,200 JJP CE $13,500) Do the math. Lol (no way JJP puts $4,300.00 more LEDs and plastic in their machines than Stern, since JJP has pretty much abandoned mechs.)

We are not doing this again, we can't, it's not healthy for either of us lol. Don't make me bring out my lists or JJP mechs and features by game haha.

I wonder at this point if distrubtors know their allotment numbers or if we will have to wait until Tuesday?

#1117 5 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Two seasons of watching this show and I’m still waiting for something to happen. Maybe 2/16 episodes over the two seasons really had anything exciting happen all. A lot of it is a slow burn. Maybe that was the plan. What could the modes possibly be like?

With Stern having the license to assets from both sessions there's a ton of different story based modes that can be created. Getting "the egg" could be an example of a story based mode from season 1. Mini wizard and super wizard modes can be based on larger events such as rescuing Baby Yoda. Hopefully there's bounty puck side missions where you are given missions for bounties to collect, have that tied to unlocking different pieces of Beskar armor. The more Beskar armor collected the greater the scoring multiplier or something. Stuff like that.

#1122 5 months ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

I would just like to see the cabinet armor finished in Beskar, with the Empire marking stamped somewhere..![quoted image]

We may all be in for a rude awakening when Beskar armor turns out to be flat grey paint.

#1143 5 months ago

Game Exchange sent out an email a few hours back for LE preorder deposits. All were gone in minutes...I saw the email 30 minutes after it arrived.

#1149 5 months ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

What price did they have the LEs listed at?

No final price listed, hopefully not over MSRP.

#1152 5 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

JJ doesn't pull that shit. Great distributor.

I misread the listing, price is listed at $9200!

#1245 5 months ago

Should all distrubtors have received their allotment numbers by now?

I know JJ at Game Exchange had LE pre-orders go up and sold out within minutes so there goes one list for me lol.

#1301 5 months ago

Coin Taker confirmed no more LE's, I emailed them 2 weeks ago to get on a list... There goes 2 / 5 lists I was on.

#1332 5 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Will be an interesting day!
[quoted image]

591l4v (resized).jpg

#1455 5 months ago

Looking forward to the full reveal, seems like a lot going on in the game but if Baby Yoda takes up that much room and does nothing it would be a bummer. If the Baby Yoda sculpt is just a stationary doll similar to the ones I saw selling at Costco around Christmas time that would be a bummer. Artwork is just meh but need to see high resolution photos.

#1474 5 months ago

So far I just like that the playfield appears not traditional or a fan layout. It looks unique and as if Eddy has finally been unleashed. Excited for the full reveal and for higher resolution photos.

#1476 5 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I want the distributors to make as much money as they can. Same for stern. Might price me out, no big deal.

Gary at home seeing this.

2539433-2642583531-24674.gif

#1546 5 months ago
Quoted from Otto110:

I really wished they wouldn’t have put a big doll in the corner of these games. I understand it is cheaper than a mech of some sort and eats up real estate for Stern, but I’m just not into dolls.
Also, I’m pretty sure we’re getting really bright, colorful, comic art on all three instead of the cool western styled art that is shown in the credits of the show.
I like the artists style, but I really wanted something different than the Star Wars comic edition.

I'm with ya. I really hope Baby Yoda is an actual toy in the game and not a larger one of these that does nothing...

fgfg (resized).JPG

#1548 5 months ago
Quoted from jellikit:

What are you saying? That one bounced up and down!

Now you are making me wonder if it really is a doll that Stern has modified to rotate left and right a bit lol.

#1636 5 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Ramp is super steep. Perhaps Grogu helps the ball up the ramp?

There looks to be something going on at the top of the ramp. Maybe a divertor?

#1646 5 months ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Hard to tell a lot from the pic we have seen so far. But so far, I'm really liking what I'm seeing. The art is exactly what I was looking for. It's on the darker side of the color spectrum. The back glass is super cool. The armor looks awesome.
I know some people wanted the armor to look like it has lines in it like in the Beskar bars. But when the bars are melted down into armor, it really just looks more like steel. All those lines are gone.
I'm not overly excited about the giant Grogu doll on the play field. I'm not surprised that he's there, because that little guy sells product for sure! I just really hope he does something. I can't imaging it won't be interactive in some way. For Stern to give up that much real estate on the play field and not have it do something would be absolutely insane.
I'm excited to see more pics and better pics, but so far it looks really good to me! I've been in on an LE for a while. Can't wait to get it!

Baby Yoda being a toy or a doll will probably impact buying decisions for some customers. If its the Roller Coaster Tycoon troll 2.0 people will complain endlessly, on the other hand if its interactive people will love it. Now if it just swivels a bit left to right and doesn't pickup the ball? Yeah...

There is something going on below Baby Yodas right hand this is reached out. Hopefully he picks up the ball and it then drops down in that area. Then again, if Baby Yoda can pickup the ball shouldn't we see a magnet core in his hand?

#1660 5 months ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I wonder if the mini play field helps you forge Beskar into armor each time. You get full armor and you get a ball save.
That'd be cool. (Probably won't happen).

Could be. Hopefully there's some sort of rules element around collecting pieces of Beskar that helps you earn more multipliers, and or unlocking additional modes.

#1672 5 months ago
Quoted from Palmer:

If this is an actual leaked photo then I would say that Grogu is nothing more than a set piece. I hope I am wrong though. Game feels packed. LE looks cool. Probably one of the only games I would want to powder coat the door to match the trim because of how neutral the color is.

Hope so too. There looks like there's something going on in these two areas. Just below the left shoulder of Baby Yoda there appears to be some sort of green flat plastic? Then below his right hand that is reaching out there appears to be some sort of mech there or maybe at least an area where the game will give an effect off of Baby Yoda holding the ball in the air.

Capture (resized).JPG

#1699 5 months ago

Um so those 6 drop targets we heard about for weeks are really 6 standup targets representing the top of Mando's head? Baby Yoda is a doll and does nothing across all models. Upper playfield looks really odd, very little room and just hitting standup targets? WTF lol. Just initial impressions.

#1720 5 months ago

What the hell does this represent? 6 lights and standup targets on Mando's head? Just weird.

Capture (resized).JPG

#1727 5 months ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

1. space ship is on a spring - no coil
2. yoda doesn't do anything
3. mini playfield is just smashing a row of standups no actual shots in there
wtf?

I don't understand it either, just feeling kinda meh on it right now but need to see gameplay with the licensed assets. Baby Yoda being a stationary doll is...wow, Roller Coaster Tycoon troll 2.0 indeed, hell even that moved a bit lol.

The upper playfield is bizarre. What does that represent from the theme? Mando doesn't have lights on his helmet, it just looks weird. Also, hitting stationary targets as the main toy isn't fun in my opinion. What happened to the 6 drop target rumor? Same goes for the ship drop target, it's almost as big as the ship and again is just odd.

#1741 5 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Not feeling it-dammit
Love the theme and have an LE, but looks like a pass for me
When I heard upper playfield-I cringed a bit
I can't stand gimmicky upper/lower playfields. Then I was all stoked for the Pro-cool color scheme and art-then dammit another useless mini-playfield. If this is the way-you can have it.
Should be a great game for operators and earn well on location. There still may be a sliver of hope I could grow to like the Pro if Cleland does a custom sound package with Carl Weathers.
[quoted image]

Upper and lower playfields can be cool but Stern needs to stop making them about just hitting standup targets. That's dull and boring in my opinion.

Have a drop target, a ball lock, a shot that is revealed, etc. 6 standup targets with 6 odd lights on Mandos head? That's just weird and looks odd / boring with two full size flippers there.

#1771 5 months ago

Can't believe I'm saying this but I think Stranger Things Pro looks cooler.

#1790 5 months ago

So 5 main modes from the show, across two seasons of content, and that's it? Hopefully the encounter modes with multiple levels are great. 4 wizard modes is great to see!

Capture (resized).JPG

#1883 5 months ago

I'm passing on this game and just ordered a TMNT Premium. Not a fan of the Baby Yoda stationary doll and just hitting standup targets on what appears to be an odd upper playfield. Reminds me of the lower playfield on ACDC which got old really quick. Had a ton of hype for this pin but feel let down.

#1950 5 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Seems like everyone's missing possibly the biggest gameplay difference between the models:
"Dynamic inner loop up/down horseshoe scoop feeding left ramp return to left flipper for repeatable looping"
Sounds cool.

Stern tries to make the most basic of features sound like an amazing incredible mech to the point that it becomes confusing. It's no longer just a spinner but a "Super action double movement spinner with player interaction".

#1971 5 months ago

Mando just doesn't have that world under glass feeling in my opinion. First off there's the giant Baby Yoda doll that does nothing and seems just placed to say "HEY HERE'S BABY YODA" to sell games. Baby Yoda is supposed to be small but is larger then the ship and Mando's helmet on the playfield? Second there's the drop down target from the ship which honestly looks ugly and almost as large as the ship. Third, the upper mini playfield represents what from the show? Mando himself doesn't have a bunch of LED's lit on his helmet. Also, just hitting standup targets is going to get old very quick in that mini playfield.

Look at Ghostbusters. There's a subway track that drops into an subway, the Ecto Goggles toy, and slimer moving. With TMNT there's a spinning disk that looks like a pizza, a van that drops ball outs, a divertor molded like a glider. In JP there's the whole raptor pen area and the t-rex that eats the pinball. Mando has nothing like those items, no feature really stands out as an interactive toy representing something from the theme. The razer crest is an awesome ship but it doesn't have an awkward large target hanging off of it.

#1984 5 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's the Turtle Blimp (tm) Glider (tm), bro

Lol updated!

#2390 5 months ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Our buddy PanzerFreak will have great difficulty in an even-handed assessment on anything that is not JJP. Now if Mando had a JJP logo on it, it would be the 2nd coming of pinball...same machine. He’d be listing every feature and mech count. You’re right about GNR doing nothing, because it has no ball interactive mechs at all. It just has a PF screen with some ball locks, tinkling plastic cymbals and a spinning hat and yet it was crowned game of the year, because enough people were too tired giving that award to Keith Elwin again and again. Looooooooool!

Dude I just bought a TMNT Premium today instead of Mando so for once stop with your lies and nonsense. A game doesn't have to have a JJP logo on it for me to buy (also have a GNR LE on order and can't wait). Why did I go with TMNT Premium over Mando? Layout and toys. I'm not interested in owning a $6k - $9k+ pin with a giant doll of all things that does nothing, hell even the terrible troll doll in Roller Coaster Tycoon does something. The giant target hanging from the razer crest looks odd and ugly, it's almost as large as the ship. Third is the upper mini playfield which is not interesting in my opinion, it will get stale quick with only a bunch of standup targets, and looks very odd being Mando's helmet with a bunch of lights. Mando may turn out to be great but right now it's just not hitting with me.

One other problem I have with Mando is unlike TMNT, GB, Jurassic Park, and GNR is that it does a poor job of representing the themes world under glass. That giant baby Yoda is ugly and was put there to simply scream "HERE'S BABY YODA". Again there's a huge ugly target hanging from the razer crest versus the ship itself interacting with the ball. The upper mini playfield is for some reason Mando's helmet with a bunch of light inserts on it? So random and odd.

#2392 5 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The hat doesn’t spin.

Lol don't waste your time arguing with him. jimwe5t cannot say a single good thing about any game that isn't a Stern. If it's a JJP game he forgets half the features and makes up things about the other half.

#2418 5 months ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Are you saying this because none of your 5 sources are going to let you buy an LE? Lol

3/5 lists I'm on ended up not working out, sold out. Even if I get on one of the remaining two I'll give my spot (for free) to another Pinside member that sent me a PM earlier. After seeing the playfield and mechs I'm no longer interested.

#2499 5 months ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Going to translate what you really mean. PFreak was unable to secure an LE, so going to put this one down with derogatory comments. Only reason was let down is no one from your list of 5 companies you were on the waiting list for dropped out, because Mandalorian is such an awesome game and you don’t want to pay scalper prices.
Smog on your Hobbit is really a stationary figure too, but yet you like it. Upper PF right flipping ball endlessly around spinning house on WOZ got old really quick too, yet you like it. Dialed In Bob the Builder going back and forth endlessly blocking shots gets super boring, yet you like it. Lol

Now you are now throwing a tantrum. You have no idea what you are talking about, and spread lies. I was being honest with you when I said that if one of the other 2 distrubtors get back to me and say "Hey we have an LE" that I'll give my spot for free to another Pinside member that messaged me earlier.

The game is not for me, I'm not a fan of the mechs / doll, and it's not the world under of glass I thought it would be. That's why I'm not buying it so get over it that some people won't like it as that's life.

Quoted from jimwe5t:

We are actually brothers...banter back and forth like this all the time, since we were kids. (Mom has always liked me best although...just sayin. We just have different fathers. Jack is PFreaks father, Gary is mine. My father has been way more successful, lol!)

? Weird

#2515 5 months ago
Quoted from Supermans:

Like many of you I am disappointed in many aspects of this pin. I'm a huge original trilogy Star Wars fan and did like the Mandalorean show. Cara Dune was one of the best characters on the show, most definitely should have been included in the artwork at the very least. I see the design as a wasted opportunity. Many of the ideas floating around, including having the baby carrier as a target that opens up to reveal Grogu, and then perhaps even further having purposeful animatronics utilizing the magnets to do something more interesting with the ball capture. Heck, a Grogu head like in Funhouse that eats pinballs in a mission about his egg eating would have been interesting and fun. Overall I am passing on this.

I agree with many of your points. Mando has a feeling of having items tacked on, some of which (well Baby Yoda) literally do nothing.

1. Baby Yoda: Does nothing
2. The Razor Crest ship: Has a huge ugly target with exposed screw heads hanging from it, it's almost as large of the ship.
3. The Upper playfield: What is this from the theme? Mandos head doesn't have a bunch of LED lights on it. Also, hitting standup targets only (no other shots on it) that are 3 inches away with get old fast

Stern has a done a great job with creating a world under glass on their other pins. In JP there's the T-Rex mold that eats the pinball, the raptor pen area that has mechs. GB has the Slimer toy that moves, the Ecto Goggles, the subway ramp and subway itself. TMNT, the Gilder diverter, the physical ball lock van, and the pizza spinner. There's just nothing like that in Mando in a sense of there being miniature interactive toys / features based on the theme. A stationary Baby Yoda doll, the giant target hanging from the razer crest, and the Mando head upper playfield...yeah.

I was expecting to see Baby Yoda grab the pinball at least, that would have been awesome. For the upper playfield that rotated with the 6 rumored drop targets I was thinking it would have moved to reveal additional shots. What was revealed though is a disappointment in my opinion. Code can certainty save it and we've seen that before.

#2595 5 months ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:I guess “Big way” means catchable by a claw machine, and “fun integration” means has a magnet in front of him.
It looks like his hand could have the possibility to turn on an axis when the magnet is activated? Would be nice at least if his hollow body twitched left/right real quick when the magnet activates.
Maybe Sterns working on a Hail Mary addition for Prem/LE and that’s why Jacks stream isn’t soon, or maybe they’re just waiting on code.
Or depending on how he’s mounted maybe the awesome mod community will save the day once again...
[quoted image]

Baby Yoda unfortunately does nothing. If his hand moved it would have been included on the Stern feature matrix as "Baby Yoda with 180 degree motion articulating super hand motion".

#2622 5 months ago
Quoted from GoodOmens:

From the Star Wars reveal site, although I take it to be more about the code and game features.

Source: https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-stern-pinball

Sounds like code surprises, anything hardware related would be on the feature matrix by now.

What looks like an area where Baby Yodas hand could moved is likely just a seam where the hand plastic part is attached.

#2822 5 months ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

struggling between really wanting this game and thinking it’s a turd. I love the look of the game (minus yoda doll) and the layout feels unique and packed... but when I dissect it every shot is basic and the upper pf might have the fewest “shots” of any upper of I’ve ever seen, It feels like it’s missing that one super satisfying unique shot and is relying on a potentially bad mini pf too much.... seems like code and presentation is going to make or break this game

Upper playfields that don't have at least a loop, a ball lock, or something that reveals another shot seem worthless in my opinion (at least at these crazy prices). Hitting 6 standup targets from 3" away is going to get old really fast. Also, what the heck does the upper playfield represent? Mando doesn't have lights on the top of his helmet or down the center of it. Just odd and feels like a waste of an area / mech.

#2826 5 months ago
Quoted from rai:

AcDc mini PF was way better and with short flippers loops and stand up shots, I can't see how much fun this can be but only wait and see how it plays.

Agree, having that loop and being able to hit either mini orbit is fun (just wish it was coded more into the game).

#2942 5 months ago

Grogu unfortunately doesn't move, Stern includes even the most minor of features in a games feature matrix.

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Mandalorian-Feature-Matrix-3adkjhf3.pdf

#2997 5 months ago

The seam on Baby Yoda's hand is so you can remove it and buy the official $500 "Baby Yoda Super 180 Degree Motion Moving Hand" mod.

#3066 5 months ago

When I read comments like below all I can think is how people have lowered their expectations of what can / should be in a game that costs $6k - $9k+. I guess myself and others in the community simply expect more for $6k - $9k+ in a pinball machine of all things.

Baby Yoda should actually do something and not be a giant hollow plastic shell. The Razer Crest Matchbox style "toy" shouldn't have an ugly screw head exposed hanging target from it. The upper mini playfield should have more in it then just 6 dull standup targets and no shots. All of the toys in Mando just have this tacked on feeling in my opinion versus being unique interactive miniature mechs representing something from the theme. Stern did toys and features right with GB, TMNT, JP, and Batman 66 to name a few with putting interactive miniature mechs based on the theme in the game, just not seeing it here on Mando.

"Pinball is fun, why complain"

"My non pinball fans are blown away when I showed them the game" (are they going to buy the game? no)

"Pinball was nearly dead, be happy it's still here"

"Who cares if Grogu doesn't do anything"

"There's so many shots in this game" (there's 7 main shots that either pass through or drop into an area, pretty standard if not 1 - 2 lower then most modern pins)

#3077 5 months ago
Quoted from Xelz:

Deadpool pinball reveal and early launch reactions on Pinside: Where are the interactive toys? Lil’ Deadpool is just a bash target, not a toy. Modes look lame on early code. Shots seem like a clunk fest. Video content looks pixelated. Eff Stern.
Deadpool results: Pinside top 10.
JJP GNR reveal/launch reactions on Pinside: No interactive toys. Axl upper playfield skeleton is just static. Layout isn’t interesting. Too many multiballs. Lame use of a magnet. Eff JJP.
JJP GNR results: CE sells out in a day. Voted TWIPY GoTY
Mandalorian reveal reactions on Pinside: Grogu is just a doll. Where are the interactive toys? No Cara Dune. It’s just another fan layout. There shouldn’t be lights on Mando’s mini PF helmet. Lame use of a magnet. Eff Stern.
Mandalorian results: LE sells out within a day. The future of the game...??
Maybe... just maybe... the Debbie Downers on these reveal threads are a vocal minority completely disconnected from the majority of pinball enthusiasts

I think your post helps prove just how important code is in a pin. I've hammered on Mando but know my view can change based on the code. All of these games are just a box of lights without code and great code can make a pin a hit. Deadpool, GNR, LOTR, and other near universal acclaimed games would all suck if it wasn't for the great rulesets and code work put into the games.

#3132 5 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Quoted for truth. Please play all the "empty" Stern games for a while that you and others have hammered and you might begin to realize how little tons of toys matter to the amount of fun you can have playing the game.

I'm with ya there. All modern Stern's are fun, no doubt about that! It's a question of value, what is being included in the games, code quality / depth, how much effort went into mech / toy design that is often where my criticism comes from. When spending $6k - $9k+ on a pinball machine of all things I just want to feel like I'm getting my moneys worth. Some games do that better then others.

There's a lot of value that can come from code alone. It's an invisible feature but one that is just as valuable, if not more, then mechs in my opinion. We discussed Stranger Things Pro in another thread and while there isn't a ton mechanically on the game the great code work really helps make it great.

#3225 5 months ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Posted two days ago, I found this comment noteable and I'm surprised it went unnoticed here. (Maybe poor translation)
I've always assumed that the LE hype meant the Premium would be an immediate bestseller. This tells me a different story.
Distributors would normally never say such a thing, at least publicly, and I'm wondering if this is a rare glimpse of the true market and sales psychology.
My mind has been spinning on a few different levels and I'm wondering how others might perceive this.

I think we need to wait for gameplay for any more hype to be generated. With that being said there's a lot of people that are underwhelmed with what is in, and or lack of, the premium and pro. There's also a lot of people still in but it's not at the levels of previous releases.

Hell I showed my wife the premium trailer of the game this morning and even she said "They could have done a lot more" and "It's unfortunate that Baby Yoda and the Mandalorian both don't do more", the last comment referring to the mini playfield.

Stern needs to go over the top with code or risk having this game sink like Munsters. Personally I think they won't make that mistake again and are going to deliver one hell of a ruleset.

#3255 5 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

7 main shits in the game

? lol That gave me a good laugh, I know ya meant 7 shots.

#3300 5 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I find that the posts that complain about threads not being an echo chamber ruin them a lot more.

Exactly. Some people can't stand reading any criticism about a game they plan on owning or already own. Criticism is fair game in general threads.

I've noticed a new type of "comeback" against any game criticism lately and its "This is pinball, it's fun, who cares what the toys and features are" or "Just be happy pinball is still around"...Good grief, sounds like an excuse for there not being a lot in a game or a lack of thought being put into mechs / features. When new pins cost $6k-$9k+ and for a majority represent a decent chunk of yearly income everyone should expect some critical comments regardless of the title.

#3302 5 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

This is true, but I vaguely remember you blasting anyone who dared criticize WOZ when it came out years ago.

Yeah, you're right, after a while I did as the threads back then about the game became so toxic. WOZ is the reason that we have clubs threads today. A few people back then relentlessly bashed the game and no one could have a civil discussion about.

The WOZ club thread to this day has a warning from a mod, who created it, as the first post about the thread being a club thread and not for bashing. Ever since then new games now get a club thread where owners and potential owners can discuss the game in peace lol.

#3318 5 months ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

What is Lyman working on these days? Is he on Godzilla?

My guess is another Kapow licensed game with that being Back to the Future.

#3450 5 months ago

If you think 4th dimensionally the entire game rotates as we are like rotating around the sun as a planet man.

image__1_ (resized).jpeg

#3493 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Why use an ugly metal round plate for magnet?
Would have been way more magical to leave art and have magnet under playfield art like GB and Addams.
Another reason I'm going Pro.
Oh that and the $

I think the magnet choice in Mando is due to it holding the ball before it's tossed down one of the C-H-I-L-D lanes, an exposed magnet core is needed for that as otherwise magnet burn can occur (Shadow). Games that have magnets hidden under the playfield don't hold the ball but just activate briefly to cause movement.

#3553 5 months ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Dwight is an amazing coder. Some people may not like his "style", but that would not take away from his skill and creativity with the code.

Agree! Personally I think Dwight is the best objective / story based coder that Stern has. A majority of other Stern's coders are too focused on points for tournament play in my opinion. I watched SDTM's TMNT and Avengers reviews and both Zach and Greg loved TMNT code but were not big fans (especially Zach) of AIQ code as it seems mostly focused on scoring points. I'll agree with that viewpoint, felt the same way when I played both on location. Dwight came through big time with Ghostbusters code (yes it took forever lol, but it still got done) and ended up creating one hell of a story based objective ruleset for the game. The only game he really let people down on code wise was Munsters but if it was purposely supposed to be more simple is that really his fault? Star Wars has a big focus on multipliers but he also coded a ton of objective based modes in the game with different levels.

People have also brought up how Dwight codes moments very well. The best way I can describe this is mode choreography meaning incorporating music, sounds, lighting, animations, etc all timed to shots. Loopin Supers and Storage Facility Multiball in Ghostbusters as well as Lightsaber Battle in SW are great examples of mode choreography coded by Dwight. That style of mode design is not only more fun to play through but also offers more value in my opinion (takes more effort to code). As a home player, and even as a location player, I rather play through Dwight style rulesets then the more points focused ones.

#3839 5 months ago

So far has anyone actually heard Mando callouts from the actor? Haven't heard any yet. Hopefully this isn't a weird licensing thing.

#3846 5 months ago

Still have yet to hear a single Pedro Pascal show audio clip. Same goes for Giancarlo Esposito (Moff Gideon), Temuera Morrison (Bobba Fett), and Katee Sackhoff (Bo Katana). Licensing restriction or just not coded yet? Hope the show audio clips are just not coded but seems like a licensing restriction so far...

#3900 5 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Video assets look fantastic- it’s all there.
Except Cara.

Really? Where's the callouts for Mando and the other major actors? What's Mando without Pedro Pascal voice audio from the show?

There's no way in hell I'm buying a game named "The Mandalorian" if the actual Mandalorian callouts are not there. Kinda crazy if those are missing.

#3907 5 months ago

So only partial assets? No show actor voices from any of the episodes? Very disappointed. A pin named Mandalorian but no Mandalorian audio clips from the show.

#3911 5 months ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

You’re too funny. This game has assets galore. No disappointment at all.

So does that mean there are audio assets from the other major characters?

#3912 5 months ago
Quoted from Waxx:

How do you feel about Jurassic Park with OEM Code?

It's great as it's not based on the movies! It's original. Mando is based on the actual show though, not a generic take on it. Completely different.

#3918 5 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I did not hear the stream, had it muted...kids.
Is there audio from the show with Mando’s voice? Or just video clips with Car W callouts voice over?

So far I haven't heard any. Tried asking on the stream but got yelled at by at least one person lol.

Why make a Mandalorian pin if there are no Mandalorian voice clips in the game?

#3941 5 months ago
Quoted from venom112:

I would be surprised if any of Mandos call outs make it in. Makes no sense to not have it in there and if it’s not in at launch it is likely they don’t have those assets.

It would be very disappointing not to have audio callouts from the main character in the game, same with the main villain. Hopefully there's more to come but as of now...yikes.

#3970 5 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yeah, because the first thing anyone thinks when they hear Star Trek is...
Karl Urban?
Or Ghostbusters... Ernie Hudson?
Or Stranger Things... David Harbour??
Things will be fine... besides Mando is a bad choice anyway due to his lack of emotion, inflection, etc. He's basically boring. The team acknowledged that too.

I'm talking about voice assets from the show, not more custom callouts. Imagine Ghostbusters without any of the main actor voices clips from the movies. That's what seems to be occurring with Mando and it's disappointing.

Same goes for Stern Star Wars. Imagine that game without any of the actor audio clips from the original trilogy. Again, disappointing.

Mando is boring? LOL, he makes the show, it's about him! A Mando pin without Mando audio clips from the show...wow.

#3971 5 months ago

Yes like Pirates but not like Wonka (it has other character audio clips from the movie)

#3976 5 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Wonka call-outs and assets in general are weak.
And we’ve already established there are other call outs from other characters.

Yes they are and that's part of the reason why I never bought Wonka. At these insane prices movie and TV show based pins should come with as close to full assets as possible. The lack of licensed movie actor audio on Pirates hurts that game in my opinion (part of the reason I sold my LE).

I would never have bought GB if it didn't have movie actor audio from the major characters. Same goes for Star Wars when I owned it, LOTR, and Hobbit. Movie actor audio helps a ton with theme immersion and without a game suffers, just my view.

#3984 5 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You're expressing your view pretty poorly I think. Should there be clips of Mando's speech in the game? For sure! Should Mando been the main custom audio? NO - his character is bad for it.
You beat up on the choice of using Carl... instead of Mando. That points to what they used Carl for - the custom call outs... vs what I think your real gripe is, which is lack of character audio clips from the show. And that I agree with.
The inability for them to use EXISTING character performances is really hurting the potential of these titles.

I think Carl Weathers is great for custom outs. I just wish there were Mandalorian and Moff show actor audio clips in the game. It just seems really odd not to hear Mando in a game that's based on the character.

#3996 5 months ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Not true. There is a lack of them at the moment, but there is at least 1 line from Mando and 1 from Katie Sackoff. So they have the rights to use them. They likely just haven't been added yet as Dwight usually does the polish after the core rules are solid.

What are the lines and do you have a time stamp from the stream? I really hope there's callouts from both characters and more coming!

#3997 5 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I am at a wedding event and can’t watch the stream. To be clear, are we talking JJP Pirates here with no video footage or voice of the mandalorian? I don’t have time to watch the stream, but I’m not buying this game if there is no video footage and assets from the main guy. Is panzer being a JJP fanboy with hyperbole or does the Mandalorian appear in this game?

Lol. Definitely more assets then Pirates which couldn't show actors at all. So far there's video footage of Mando but possibly no audio clips of the character from the show. There's now been a report that 1 line from Mando was heard on the stream.

#4000 5 months ago

Yes a JJP fanboy who just bought a NIB TMNT, has made several posts recently criticizing JJP quality, and is now considering cancelling their GNR LE order (due to playfield issues) in favor of another Stern. Lol.

Criticizing / questioning a single game over callouts doesn't mean a person automatically dislikes an entire company.

#4004 5 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Was mostly saying yes to the hyperbole part.

Got ya. I know I've talked JJP up for years. Can't really defend them right now with the crap they are pulling with playfields. It doesn't matter how fun or loaded the games are when the playfields are literally falling apart.

#4013 5 months ago
Quoted from Waxx:

1:07:05 mando says “looks that way”. It’s just early code.

YEAH! Thank you. There's much more to come then

#4037 5 months ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:Lol, finally the voice of reason, but PF are not their only problem. Loaded mechs falling apart too. We’ve all experienced it, that’s why JJP has literally abandoned mechs in GNR. They are sick and tired of all the warranty claims and now, won’t even give owners a new PF when faulty PF shows up. $13,500.00 for a CE (Stern’s real competitor for their $9,200.00 LE) is way overpriced for what we’re getting from JJP now.

I can't talk to you anymore lol, you always start off good and then go off on some ultra Stern fanboy / anti JJP ridiculous tangent.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside