(Topic ID: 292222)

This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!

By zpinman370

8 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,536 posts
  • 805 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Lermods
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!”

• Who's In 429 votes
    45%
  • Who's Out 198 votes
    21%
  • Don't Care 336 votes
    35%

(963 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2021-11-06 11.11.14 (resized).jpg
2021-11-06 11.11.24 (resized).jpg
2021-11-06 11.02.21 (resized).jpg
68560B45-0A5A-49DF-AF62-C1F8CF8255D0 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20220106_021337385 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220106_021521560 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220106_021528557 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220105-171025 (resized).png
Rush cringe (resized).png
LZ band member art (resized).jpg
Amen Brother! (resized).jpg
mando 3 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
3ba3b75f65e552ffabf1d4f9fe9a980c8bc93e21 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
GEDC6714 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2976 Super Awesome Pinball Show interview with Brian Eddy. Posted by jellikit (8 months ago)

Post #3298 First look and initial impressions. Posted by ZMeny (8 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ballykiss1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#527 8 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Just hope it’s not another battle villain video game hybrid.

Good chance it will be.

#616 8 months ago

Not sure on Avengers did they make all of the LE's? Elvira I wasn't sure they'd made all of the LE's - the SLE's yes I think you are right have sold out.

Stern is only making a small run of premiums. SLE, and LE’s are sold out.

#822 8 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

He got more screen time now and needs nutrisystem

He apparently ate his way out of the Sarlacc Pit.

#1563 8 months ago
Quoted from koops:

count the mando heads! atleast 14 without even seeing the side art.

And people bitched about all the Icarus on LZ LE lol.

#1975 8 months ago

Grogu doll should have been smaller or have him move his arm up and down when the magnet locks the ball. The upper playfield definitely not a must have at all for me.

Pro definitely seems like a great value. Decent show from the last few episodes I saw, but my daughters mainly loved the show because of “baby Yoda”. Now for the next new shiny thing.

Bring on Godzilla.

#2281 8 months ago
Quoted from shaub:She compared being a Republican in the USA to being a Jew in (early) Nazi Germany. Admittedly not the end result of the holocaust but basically a slippery slope argument that Republicans are beginning to be demonized and that is how "it" starts.
Whether you agree with Disney's choice or not, I can at least see why they made it.

Was she wrong?

#2282 8 months ago
Quoted from tr8785:

I didn’t mean to bash any of the awesome 90’s titles. I love Shaddow and many others as well. If the owner of the Shaddow I just played put it up for sale, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.
My point is, there’s a good bunch of cool new stuff in Mando. It’s incredibly clear a ton of hard work and innovation went into it. Listening to people bash the hard work that’s put into new titles is exhausting.

What great innovation went into Mando? Does a tilting playfield count as a ton of innovation?

#3073 8 months ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Ppl went nuts...
.... because there was little nothing to get excited about.
Youtubers like, 'A pinball podcast' marvloco are damn near in tears cradling themselves on this game.
Its been a tough year but this is getting embarrassing.
[quoted image]

Yeah that was one of the most embarrassing fanboy reactions I have seen. Wonder if he had to change his underwear from near busting a nut on his podcast. You would have thought this was the second coming of pinball.

4AB0E5D2-9719-4BBA-93E9-5D28496A2E13 (resized).png
#3154 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, Stern pays me to point out that flippers usually move.
IT'S A SHILL!!!

#3633 8 months ago

If the pro didn’t have plastic ramps, that would be the one to get. The plastic ramps just reminds me of mid to late 1980’s Williams pins. One of the better pros offered by Stern, if had wire formed ramps would rank as one of the best. Well looks wise and option wise compared to the Pre/LE.

#4033 8 months ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Not true. There is a lack of them at the moment, but there is at least 1 line from Mando and 1 from Katie Sackoff. So they have the rights to use them. They likely just haven't been added yet as Dwight usually does the polish after the core rules are solid.

Just like Dwight polished up Munsters.

#4104 8 months ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Yup, Reason why I'm not buying any more Dwight coded games atm.
He is a great coder with awesome ideas, BUT please please finish/polish the games
GB (3 years) and now Munsters (Copy paste lvl 2 and 3) has me Gutted
So much content - videos on within the code never used etc.
Mandalorian looks good, tho not fond of the upper level playfield ( kinda lame to me and a drain monster)
also the ball falling of the rail when you hit the U loop fast is bad, don't know why this wasn't already fixed prior to the live stream.
I feel, the more we pay for the machines, the less we are getting.

Elvira is packed with video content. Dwight had 70 Munsters episodes to pull video from. He missed a major opportunity with that one. Lame call outs and the same few clips over and over. Should have pulled actual footage of Grandpa’s Dragula racing from the episode instead of that weak cutscene. But I digress.

For what they are asking for games and for what we are paying it’s not too much to ask for the best bang for our buck.

#4145 8 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

No I’m not. I’m someone that buys a game for what it is, not what I hope it will be. It’s VERY simple.

No game comes out of the gate with completed code and people do have some expectation that the code will evolve. Look at Stranger Things, EHOH, ect. Most games have improved with code over time. Can’t agree with your assessment in this. Theme and art is an initial hook. If theme wasn’t important we would still get generic card themes going back to the 60’s and 70’s.

#4148 8 months ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Lol, you might consider going elsewhere other than a forum. Debate is what this is all about and it is a good thing.

Exactly. If he wants an echo chamber he can go to Reddit.

#4225 8 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Because they don’t like the game their theme is based on? It’s nuts that I have to keep saying this.
Just because a company happens to release a game based off your dream theme, they owe NOTHING to you. It still runs the risk of being a game you don’t like.
Is that disappointing? 100%. But that’s on you if you don’t do your due diligence to see if your dream theme is actually a game you like.

So if a car company charges top dollar for a shitty car that’s ok because they owe you nothing? People are paying used car prices for a pin and if they abandon the game with inferior code that’s crap. You may not think so Chuck, you are totally coming across as a Stern apologist. I would bail at this point, your making yourself look bad, honestly.

#4247 8 months ago
Quoted from tr8785:

Understand now. I don’t own Munsters. My father in law does. He grew up on the show. He’s a casual player and the code gets it done for him and the other silver haired/bald friends of his. I was under the impression that’s why the game was coded that way.
Side note: my dad, uncles, and father in law are all in their 60’s. They seem to enjoy the simpler coded titles.
I am legitimately sorry that so many of you folks are disappointed with Munsters. I’m sure I may have been disappointed if my dream themes didn’t have everything I wanted in the code.

I am 50 and grew up watching the show. My daughters grew up watching the show also and love it as do my wife and I. They as my wife and I were disappointed in it. Good for location play but not long term in home environment with a small collection. I will pick one up at some point but for $4000 or below range if prices ever come back to normal for used pins.

#4298 7 months ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

True, the Munsters argument is getting old.
Even though GB needed a code update. It wasn’t as terrible as some say before the last update came out.
Dwight is a great programmer. He brought some great new innovative features to his games. Like Pict-O-Pops or Coop/Teamplay game modes.
For me he is close to the level Lyman is on.
Both Lyman and Dwight have their own way of doing things, but this is actually good. So the games get their own personalities and uniqueness.
Also remember, Dwight is just a normal person. Like we all are. We all made and still make mistakes, sometimes big one’s we regret and never can change. But we have to forget and leave the past behind. So why not just leave Munsters behind and keep looking forward.

But Dwight has a chance to fix the Munsters mistake. Everyone doesn’t get a second chance. Hard for people who have a Munsters still to look forward when Dwight could fix it.

4 weeks later
#5634 6 months ago

I had zero desire for Mandalorian. Disney pretty much killed Star Wars for me which is sad since I was a fan since 1977.

Let me tell you, the game is freaking amazing!!!! Many shots like Elvira but faster paced. I think I may actually get a pro. Going to probably sell my restored Gorgar and Stern Dracula. Mando is a close second to a near tie for me with Elvira right now.

I will go back again and play it I always go back again and see if I like it the same. I want to order one now tbh.The upper left corner with one flipper by the mando helmet is kinda hard to keep the ball going.

Really the only negative for me. The one we played was a little too steep so hitting the left ramp was difficult. Otherwise for me 9/10. Dwight definitely redeemed himself from Munsters on this one.

1512D3FF-DAC7-427C-9359-5AF440D4E255 (resized).jpeg1C86247B-F442-48AD-8E7E-AA7700533977 (resized).jpeg
#5671 6 months ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Damn I totally disagree I have it in my home and after 3 hours had to tear myself away and this is early on I just can't believe the code is this far along ALREADY

I played a pro yesterday. Up till then only saw the last few episodes of the show. No interest in the pin at all. Yesterday I couldn’t stop playing it. I absolutely loved it. Now I want one. Even my daughters loved it. Going to take the wife to play it.

#5706 6 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Are you sure it is the game? Game looks pretty good to me and we are hanging to have a go.
How many games did you play?

I played a pro on location for about 2 hours. Where I go for $25 you get unlimited pinball and arcade for 3 hours. I had zero desire to get mando and now I want one. Pro is definitely the one to get for me. Best bang for your buck and love the cabinet art.

Just not enough there for the up charge for the premium for me. Wonder how well the shaker adds to the game?

#5714 6 months ago
Quoted from joelbob:

The shaker is great! Dwight knows how to code a shaker very well.

Awesome! Waiting for Spooky’s announcement. If not a theme I want Mando will be purchased. Will sell my stenciled and restored Gorgar and Stern Dracula for space and some funds. Still shocked how much I loved it.

#5725 6 months ago
Quoted from cireone:

Shaker is used heavily, but adds to the experience in every instance.

That’s awesome!!

#5830 6 months ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Specifically, KFC-1366s which can be bought for about $40.
Although just buying an external subwoofer is the largest sound quality improvement you can make.

Exactly. Upgrading the back box speakers is not needed. Adding a powered Polk sub and the pinnovators sub adapter will make a big improvement. That’s all I did for my Elvira House of Horrors. Big improvement.

#5831 6 months ago
Quoted from MJK-911:

Played the pro today, game already broke, flippers wouldn’t flip as they should!! WTF Stern ???? Slow down and. get Quality under control. What good is a broken pinball machine? Never buy 1st run games!!!

Bad node board? Guy I have been chatting with a fellow Elvira owner who opened his EHOH NIB and bad flipper node board out of the box.

#5832 6 months ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

I finally had a chance to play about a dozen games on Mandalorian yesterday and a IT IS A BLAST! Like most everybody on this thread, I love the show which makes this pin all the more enjoyable with all the video assets. I think this will be a great machine to mod out... and upgrade the speakers.

I had zero desire in this pin. Only seen the last 4 episodes. Took my daughters to Tilt Stidios so they could play some redemption games and they had Mando pro. Loved it, as did my daughters. Now a want it.

But will go back to play again and make sure I still feel the same way. Didn’t care for the plastic ramps but after playing, didn’t really bother me anymore. Grogu wasn’t noticed anymore either.

#5840 6 months ago
Quoted from dinot:

Upgrading the backbox speakers is something I highly recommend. The Pro/Prem have 4" single cone speakers that are about $1 and sound awful.
Start with the Pinsound Subwoofer & Line-Out connector for Stern SPIKE. This is a plug&play solution that will give you line-level outputs.
Get the 5.25" adapter plates, either from Speakerlightkits or PinballLife. You can go with the Kenwood KFC-1366s (that Stern uses on the LE), but honestly I think that those are kind of crappy. (Though they are eons better than the Pro/Prem stock speakers). You don't have to break the bank. I like JL Audio or Polks. For Mando I bought Polk Audio DB521.
You don't want to drive those speakers from the amp in the pin. Get an aftermarket amp (which is why you got that Pinsound adapter). I like this one:
amazon.com link »
And don't forget the external sub. I recently upgraded all of my pins to Klipsch Reference R-12SW. They were on sale recently for $150. I bought 6. (So now I have 6 x Polk PSW-10 to unload)
I've done this to all of my pins (Well, except for Mandalorian Premium, but I have all of those parts ready to go when I get it) and they sound fantastic. Interestingly, TMNT was the one that surprised me the most. I didn't expect anything special on that one, but it sounds awesome.

The stock speakers sound far from awful. I have two surround sound theatre systems in my house. The pins are not outputting Dolby Atmos 7.2 digital surround sound quality.

Adding a powered enclosed sub like a Polk PSW 10 for $109

amazon.com link »

and pinnovators sub kit for $35

https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/pinsub-spike-spike2-stern-kit

You do not need an external amp either. Seems way over kill for a pinball machine. The speakers are not garbage when paired with a powered sub. But if you feel the need to upgrade then go ahead. It’s not like Stern is using old crappy SS pin speakers from back in the day.

#5842 6 months ago
Quoted from dinot:

The 4" single paper cone is awful. This speaker is about $1 (maybe). It is the lowest quality speaker you can use. There is nothing lower end than this type of speaker. It is a single low quality material meant to drive frequencies between 100hz or so up to 20khz. Think about that....a single 4" cheap pulp speaker meant to drive nearly the full frequency range. These speakers are basically the same as the SS pin speakers from "back in the day". It is just that they are newer and the surround hasn't dry rotted yet. And you want to drive them with a woefully cheap amplifier. Unless your name is Amar Bose, this sound sucks.
What does Atmos have to do with this? This is a 2.1 channel pinball machine. I've heard reference quality stereo sound systems. No Atmos there. Just high quality 2 channel sound. And what does Atmos have to do with this discussion anyways? That is completely unrelated to this conversation. I am not talking about a sound processing technology. I am talking about better speakers and better amplification. You could have Atmos outputting to 7 channels of 4" paper cones and it would still sound like crap. Surround processing has nothing to do with what I am talking about.
And what is with the number of theatre systems in your home? Not getting what that means.
Lastly, I am not advocating reference quality sound. You can do this on the "cheap". $75 amp, $20 pinsound adapter, $75 speakers, $150 sub.
None of that equipment is reference quality. It is quite low end. (I am used to working with systems where 1 speaker costs many times what all of those parts cost added together)

It’s pinball not a high end audio producing format. That’s the point. Surround sound system benefits from a receiver to play high quality content from a Blu-ray. I don’t understand why you think you need to upgrade stock speakers for a pinball machine that runs 2.1 sound system fir audio that is not high digital quality. That’s my point. Just add a powered sub and the stock speakers are fine and not awful.

I have two sound systems and I know what really good quality sound sounds like, and for a pinball game stern speakers do a nice job. Added a Polk sub to my Elvira and adding a nice sub to any sound system makes a difference. You won’t hear much difference by changing the 4” stock speakers. It’s just a waste of time and money considering the source of the sound. If you don’t understand what I said oh well.

#5904 6 months ago

So is stern aware and offering a fix for the diverter? And I am leaning towards the pro. Still not sure if the premium is worth the extra money.

#5925 6 months ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I guess this is the risk you take when you get an early NIB.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice Chinese steel there.

#5962 6 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Played the LE all this week at a local collector. What a beautiful game. Much faster game play then I imagined. Scoring averaged in the 150 million range. No issues and the color palette is spot on perfect on the LE.

How was the upper playfield? Have you also played a pro so to compare the two? And how was the magnet feature for Grogu?

#5966 6 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Both played really well granted I have an LE coming this week so I may be biased. Personally I felt the Pro had little value on the upper while the LE upper was rather challenging. A fun test of skill in a way. The Grogu magnet seemed at this point rather useless and random but maybe that’s a code issue.

Ok thanks for the feedback. For me seems the pro is a good option. The premium just doesn’t seem worth the extra money. Congrats on getting an LE!

#5967 6 months ago
Quoted from Jkaping:

Considering powder coat for my Pro... orange or Beskar silver? I’m afraid orange will be a bit much. If anyone has pics of a powdered pro let’s see them!

I would keep it black as is. Silver will not look that good next to orange, nor will the orange against orange. Save your money. Black looks great and I saw the pin in person. Only other color that would look ok would be brown in my opinion, but black for me.

0A7D4FAF-6819-4529-B5E3-BDE8979B08FE (resized).png
#5988 6 months ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

It looks like the mini playfield on the pro is just part of the regular played and not a mini or upper type like the premium. Not sure if this has been answered, and I dont have one near me to check out.

It’s just part of the playfield

#6018 6 months ago
Quoted from gamera9:

Bought a pro on day one. Still waiting. Played a pro on location today. Loved it. Can't wait for.mine to get here. Was not able to hear it well as bar was loud. Lots of great video and it shoots well.

Where did you order from and where did you play it? I played the pro in Tempe at Tilt Studios. Electric Bat Arcade was supposed to get it also. Loved the pro. Waiting to see feedback on the premium upper playfield.

#6035 6 months ago
Quoted from venom112:

Congrats to the new owners the more I’m on the fence to buy a premium but seeing all the new in box machines and awesome pics of the LE aren’t making it easy. Need to find a location in SoCal to play one and make up my mind

Played a pro and still not sold on the upcharge for a premium yet. Hopefully one pops up in Arizona. The pro artwork looks great, just wish it had wire form ramps. That’s the big negative for me, but not a deal breaker by any means. Just need to play he premium upper playfield. The magnet does not interest me at all.

#6036 6 months ago
Quoted from jGraffix:

MANDALORIAN PINBALL
Ramp Decal
https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/mandalorian
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks awesome!!

#6041 6 months ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Did you find super jackpots at the horseshoe loop to be satisfying enough on the pro you played? The tactile 'clunk' of the premium’s horseshoe scoop for super jackpot just looks like it's super rewarding to me. That's only based on watching the deadflip streams, though.
As for the upper playfield, I'm expecting casual players will get a kick out of the upper playfield even if it's not super interesting to a more regular player. I love being able to point out small objectives like that to guests, watch them work towards it, and then see their excitement when they get there. It's no MM castle or AFM UFO, but the novelty is still there.
Definitely agree the magnet is underwhelming. Would have been cool to see a BSD style magnet there instead, with software randomly deciding which lane to drop the ball over. Hoping maybe they utilize it as a "lock" for 2-ball multiball at some point, that'd have more payoff and make it feel like something to shoot for rather than something that just kind of happens to you.

I found the game shots all exciting and satisfying, except the right upper shot with Mando’s helmet. The one flipper makes it an ok shot, but not great. I had no desire to get Mandalorian till I played it. I only saw the last four episodes of the show.

Disney killed Star Wars for me but man I loved the game. I am going back to play it again on Thursday to see if I still like it. Then if I do will pull the trigger. Only thing is pro or premium, but leaning towards a pro.

#6181 6 months ago

So LE owners, how is the upper playfield? Worth the upgrade to a premium over the pro? Right now I don’t think so, but I only played a pro. I would imagine having two flippers can one helps a lot, but the upcharge seems a lot for it plus a magnet and wire form ramps.

#6194 6 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Played both and Very glad I went with the LE (or moving upper playfield). Adds an additional challenge and for me I want to enjoy a game with all the designer envisioned. Really a fun feature.

Appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Quoted from November:

Do you really think that a LE owner will tell you that it's not an upgrade even if it's the case

Yeah I definitely thought that lol.

Quoted from Phbooms:

The upper playfield is addictive on the LE. I find myself shooting for it constantly its so fun. Plus the up post after the exit of the mini I dont believe the Pro has that lets you see some of the best assets in the game. The diverter ramp that is used for super jackpot is so slick and makes that shot great feeling when you hit it. It switches from inner loop to 180 ramp so quick and is a great moment in the code anytime the diverter flasher is flashing. Magnet wise if it wasnt there would feel weird when you shoot the child reward orbits but it could use some code work for how its powered and possibly a type of mini game when grogu grabs the ball then uses action button in a child mode of some type.. Wire forms wise i havent had any balls fall off them at all but the upper mini diverter rejects bugged me alot. I ended up putting on felt tape on the round part of diverter and anti bounce foam tape on the actual ball stop and powered the left flipper down to 240.
I sorta feel Eddie did small throwback to Shadow with the interesting and differnet kind of gameplay upper playfield and the diverter while not controlled by the player is still there and probably best Eddie could do with Stern BOM. Really the game almost feels split with the shots all being mid playfield and then the mini and child area. The mini is coded great with some small bugs but grogu could use something to make that area more fun. Something fresh and new on how lanes are played would set that area apart and make it so much more fun just by adding the action button or alittle thinking out of the box . I mean come on it takes up the entire left corner and has two orbit inserts, a magnet on some, give us a good reason to shoot there.
Is the Premium worth the upgrade over Pro, 100% yes i think so. The premium upper mini being so different and having so much more going on plus the 180 ramp diverter shot feeling so great makes a easy choice for home buyer. Is the LE worth the upgrade over Pro probably not initially but the LE will hold value where the Pros wont once theres a ton out there. Is the LE worth the extra over the Premium, yes and no. The powder coat is nice and the mirror backglass is best in awhile but the playfield colors match the premium cabinet more.

Great reply. Definitely pushed the needle closer to the premium for me. Too bad no e shipping till next year. Yeah the premium and even the pro artwork matches the playfield better. I like the pro artwork, but don’t care for the plastic ramps.

1 week later
#6455 6 months ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

I had the same problem and contacted stern support there is a little leaf switch under and on the backside of the foundry plastic right underneath that spot light that shines on Grogu chances are the leaf is too close. It’s easy to get out and adjust but I had no idea it was there and that was causing me to add Beskar just by hitting flippers.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My EHOH had the same issue with a couple of the gargoyles. The switches were too close.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ballykiss1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside