(Topic ID: 292222)

This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!

By zpinman370

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,620 posts
  • 817 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by brzezicki
  • Topic is favorited by 159 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!”

• Who's In 440 votes
    45%
  • Who's Out 198 votes
    20%
  • Don't Care 337 votes
    35%

(975 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mandalorian-mudhorn-1 (resized).JPG
mandalorian-mudhorn-2 (resized).JPG
IMG_4425 (resized).JPG
IMG_4423 (resized).JPG
IMG_4422 (resized).JPG
IMG_4424 (resized).JPG
mythosaur (resized).jpg
IMG_5792 (resized).jpg
manda22 (resized).jpg
IMG_0740 (resized).jpg
IMG_0739 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210840 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_205916 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210650 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230714_211645 (resized).jpg
5.42 Mandalorian Manual (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2976 Super Awesome Pinball Show interview with Brian Eddy. Posted by jellikit (2 years ago)

Post #3298 First look and initial impressions. Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bublehead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1056 2 years ago

The FOMO is strong with this one...

#1091 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

lose my steam over this game

Better than losing your virginity over it... ouch!

#1104 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

LE sold out without any picture, video or whatever main information.
Maybe next LE is already sold out without knowing the theme...

Sold Out LE Blues... sung to

Hey hey, my my,
Pinball will never die
Just build a box full of switches and lights
and you'll make a million dollars...

Now this guy named Gary he had a plan
He was the original pinball man
He said give em a box full of nothing but fun
They'll all come back calling on the run
He said it don't matter what the theme
But it has to be an old nerd's wet dream
Something iconic... Space-y... Star Wars....

Now word around Pinside was they had this theme,
About some show on a Disney stream
It had everything to scratch a geek boy's itch
Like a Boba Fett rip off, and some husky bitch,
It has a sleek silver ship that gets blown up good
And some cute Yoda shaver in a diaper made of wood
A real looker... kind of homely... egg sucker

Hey hey, my my
Pinball will never die
And you'll make a million dollars...

Now the distributors got wind this show's a hit
But it didn't phase them just one bit
They got on the phone and drummed up fear
"You'll miss out completely, the time is near-
So nerds and geeks with OCD
came running fast with their money
What a shit show... you can't make this up... reality man.

Well they built the thing, and made it great
Geeks and nerds could hardly wait
No one really knew if it was gonna be good
They just knew it was a box of fun made of wood
It had switches and lights and a LCD
And coin slots and a topper which wasn't free
Toppers... who would have guessed? Damn...

Well that machine has come and gone
They got another theme now to lead us on
The operators don't seem to give a fuck
As long as it can make a buck
The geeks and nerds are doing well,
They got more Star Wars and that was swell
Grogu... Baby Yoda? Really?

So now we sit in a pinball hell
More machines are coming, but who can tell
They buy machines sight unseen
As long as its their next wet dream
"Hey you want in on a LE?"
"What's the theme?"
"Who cares, buy it anyways..."

Hey hey, my my
Pinball will never die
And you'll make a million dollars.

#1133 2 years ago

Good thing I didn't give up my day job... this is one tough crowd...

#1139 2 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Not really.. thou, you couldn't even spell your Pinsider name right, btw, bubble is with two B's, unless it's an homage to Michael Bublé..
Joke!

Oh, there's a story with the name and why it's one B, but the main gist was you can't spell bubblehead with only 9 characters, which was the max handle size on IRC chat WAY back in the 90's

#1220 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I’d like to see Tuesday come!

This is the most disturbing thing posted on Pinside... If you don't agree I need only say Adams Family.

#2092 2 years ago

DE Star Wars had an R2D2 that did a bunch of nothing but move up and down... but it at least moved.

#2797 2 years ago

Gonna get a bunch of down votes but my impression is its just a Munsters with a Grogu doll. Nothing to see here, this is not the pin you're looking for, you may go about your business. Move along, move along.

#2916 2 years ago

I don't see anything but the Herman Munster pseudo-mech when I look at Baby Grogu... that's just how cheap Stern is...

#2955 2 years ago

Grogu is a glorified Happy Meal toy, and is probably a repurposed, low cost, bottom rung of the ladder, entry level play figure sourced from a licensed third party supplier. I can not see Stern fronting the up front costs of a injection mold to make a simple static "do nothing" playfield toy in this day and age. They probably 3D printed the prototype and had to wait until the official figures showed up from China to start building these. This is the worst cash grab from an LE perspective I've seen in a long time. Try and convince yourself that $14K is worth it to own a machine that will more than likely come and go without much fanfare other than, yeah Stern made a Mandalorian back in '21, and people went nuts.

Then eventually Grogu goes rogue, purposefully kills Han Solo in some bizarre time travel "save the Younglings" campaign that is attempting to right the Kylo Ren wrongs of the past by killing the father (just to be sure) and becomes a Sith Lord to bring balance back to the force, which has got all out of wack due to the collapse of Vader/Sideous/Palpatine, leaving the light side in the majority. At least thats how it would play out if the Kathleen Kennedy's of the world could have their say on this, just like she screwed the pooch on the last three sequels.

#3166 2 years ago

Sweet Jedi will the BS in this thread not stop? It's just a pinball machine for Grogu's sake. It's not going to cure cancer and it's not that interesting from my point of view, but reading this thread is like... well fuck, it's like every other thread on Pinside... just jabber on about the stupidest shit, we got nothing better to do it seems, except me, I am waiting to get a colonoscopy right now...

#3172 2 years ago

I'm shilling for colonoscopy and I am truly literally waiting for a doctor to give me a Cartman's Delight...

Quoted from Zablon:

IS CRAZILEVI A SHILL OR NOT!!!

#3193 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Still the funniest southpark episode ever.

I Love To Sing-A
About The Moon-A And The June-A And The Spring-A,
I Love To Sing-A,
About A Sky Of Blue-A, Or A Tea For Two-A,
Anything-A With A Swing-A To An "I Love You-A, "
I Love To, I Love To Sing!

#3230 2 years ago

This is just a flipper and collector and nerd confluence sucking the fun out of pinball. The three level marketing strategy was always a bad idea in my mind. Too much is being spent on LE cheap add ons that would be much better spent on actual machine design. Why do we need the LE, because we don't. A two level strategy seems like a better option and price the add ons as limited accessories with gigantic prices. Then we would all be lining up for a Premium, and the fomo is relegated to the add on market. Just my two cents.

#3465 2 years ago

All this mini playfield rotation talk reminds me of an old expression from way back which dealt with a certain extended middle finger and the accompanying verbal instructions of "sit on it and rotate"... which is exactly the sentiment I want to convey to all the rotational BS talkers. When did pinball devolve into a battle of semantics? It moves in a rotational relationship between the main playfield and the mini playfield. The path it takes places it on a 90 degree perpendicular axis which is collinear with a line drawn from left to right across the main playfield. Wether it has an actual axis of rotation on a pivot point or a virtual one by way of movement, one thing is patently certain and obvious, it fucking rotates. If something has an axis of rotation, it rotates, wether it makes a complete 360 degree arc, or not.

#3484 2 years ago

Although Mandalorian has been the best thing that has happened to Star Wars in, well since ROTJ, this pinball machine is NOT the best thing that has happened to pinball. I understand the enthusiasm for new pins, new layouts, callouts, rulesets, toys, themes, artwork, and all, but this hype train is heading for a rude derailment when people get to flip it. The mini playfield is a interesting toy, but it lacks a payoff. When I look at it, I am not in awe of what it does, how it will play, or how it integrates into the theme. What I do see is endless flipping and target bashing that has no physical payoff. What do I get for all that wood chopping? I get a virtual payoff, some mode is completed and they show me some video or animated achievement and we start all over again. The Child magnet is just poorly implemented Stern throw away tech that is there to get Gary's buy in, which I guess goes a long way even though he isn't actually running the company. The artwork is pretty generic, as well, and the incongruous swinging target off the Razorcrest is like lets have an AC/DC bell toy but make it look like crap. There is one definite thing this pin has and that is that unmistakable stench of "just another f-ing Stern" which is a phrase we used to use back in the 70's and now has started to apply with the latest average Stern titles.

Stern?!?! He's nothing but a low-down, double-dealing, backstabbing, larcenous perverted worm! Hanging's too good for him. Burning's too good for him! He should be torn into little bitsy pieces and buried alive!

#3494 2 years ago

I am not swayed by the fear of SW fanboys... I chew nails and spit out teeth.

#kermitthehermit

#3551 2 years ago

Lets see...

Ball juggling on some rando mando face, a shiity "force" magnet and unanimated Grogu, a tour de force designer, a half good/half bad coder on the code, and a Stern BOM.

What could possibly go wrong?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3594 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Lol...preach it bro!

ok, I will... my up/down vote ratio was getting to high again...

I am a SW fanboy, a pinball fanboy, and a Mandalorian fanboy, but the convergence of the three in this machine? Not a fanboy. If Kenner can make a Grogu doll animate with a single motor, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that this machine was time boxed, probably behind schedule, and more than likely spent all their money on the Grogu and Razorcrest sculpts that are only there to catch eyeballs, not pinballs. If I compared this machine to say MB, can anyone explain to me the vast wasteland of Mando comparatively? MB had 7 custom sculpts, four of which electrically moved, two of which where bash targets, and one of those was a moving bash target. It had a fan layout with 8 main shots, three ramps, a scoop, a spinner, a saucer, a moving two target bank, a stationary 2 target bank, 5 standups , 3 roll over lanes, 3 poppers, a 2 controlled gates, plus a habitrail up post ball lock, plus the phantom flip sensors.

Ok, now add all the benefits of the CGC LE remake at a $8300 delivered price point and tell me again how a Mando LE is worth $14k scalped or even $10k delivered at MSRP?

From a operators standpoint, the Pro makes a lot of sense. But I will be buying my Mando pinball experience one buck at a time at the arcade, not by putting just an average (below average?) NIB Stern into my collection.

Faced with buying a new BE pin, between NIB Mando or STh, I think a used STh Premium is a better buy.

If we are going to start sucking each others lightsabers every time Stern drops a below average SW title, we should not be surprised by what they try and pass off as a "fun" Star Wars pinball experience. This machine is no where near as "great" a title as all the fanboys on here preach it to be, no matter if it flipped like MM, so I am here to give an opposing viewpoint.

#3666 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Thread needs some fuel…..just like any healthy dumpster fire needs fuel.

Yeah, people took a moment, rewatched the stern video, studied the layout under a microscope, and realized the rotation of the universe did not revolve around Stern's next SW title. And then all those subliminal messages we have been posting here start to really take hold (Grogu magnet is Herman Munster on Xanax) and the fear of missing out is replaced with the fear that this is not a spectacularly designed and Lyman coded Brian Eddy machine they really wanted, but just another typical Stern Pinball machine with Dwight coding a typical Dwight game.

But I could be wrong...

#3853 2 years ago

Not going to say anything but... Yawn.

#3919 2 years ago

This machine reveal makes me want to buy a Stern SW premium... at least you know what your getting with that. But honestly, I would rather have an old DE SW if I wanted some SW in my collection... and I get a little nostalgia to go with it, too.

#3954 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-NJA:

If it’s at .83 and looked that good.
We are in for a top 10 pin

I want some of whatever it is you are smoking...

#3956 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey I’m not an expert on this stuff but what do you call the opposite of “a shill?”

I think the term you are looking for is "heckler"...

#3965 2 years ago
CDD92EB5-10ED-42D2-9E0D-2EBD94A94CCD (resized).pngCDD92EB5-10ED-42D2-9E0D-2EBD94A94CCD (resized).png
#4003 2 years ago

Stern's biggest head ache is the time to develop a complete and finished game of the caliber everyone is expecting. I think if you compared how long it took to completely produce a B/W pin in the 90's to Stern delivering a finished Mando, there is a huge gap. We used to not care that our callouts were generic, or done by hired voice talent, or supplied by the design gang ("Martians Attack!!!" anyone?) Fast forward to today and everyone expects the actual headliner stars to do custom callouts and that is very rare and usually requires the actors be pinheads. I can see leaving out assets due to time constraints, but seeing as thumbdrives make updates easy, and if they ever connect them to the internet, automatic, we get a mostly complete engineered and decorated box, and a player to be named later. For an Operator, this is great, they get to start earning, and casual players are satisfied. We should give them a pass on assets until the LE's start leaving the building, but that hardly happens as well. Its the FOMO and exclusivity that makes people buy out a pin that in the old days didnt change much from day 1, but now can be completely reborn 3 days to 3 years further down the road. I wish we could get some kind of indication of what we are ACTUALLY buying BEFORE we sink our money into it, especially at the current LE prices.

#4085 2 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

I feel, the more we pay for the machines, the less we are getting.

This. Exactly.

#4188 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That game was one of my favorites DAY ONE.

But how do we even know we like it day 1? On day one the LEs are gone, we get some photos and ad copy and we know NOTHING about how it shoots, how deep the rules are, what moves, what rotates... what interacts with the ball? And you question people who would just want to know what they are getting before dropping $7k on a toy? These things are one of the most expensive Hinder JOY eggs, blind box collectible "grab bags" on the planet, and I for one am not buying it.

#4215 2 years ago

And how does one play a Mandolorian on day 1? We can't all be Jack Danger in a FruFru Tutu (sorry for that mental picture)

#4355 2 years ago

Everyone knows that software engineers, programmers, and coders are ALL the laziest people on the planet. All we ever really do is take the code/program/architecture from somewhere else, hack it to do what we want it to do now, and save the results to be used or hacked on later. We are always trying to do the most we can with the least amount of work as possible, what with keeping libraries, and archives of our previous work to draw from so we rarely have to create something from scratch. Reusable function calls, subroutines, classes, methods... every thing we do, we only ever want to do it once.

So get with the program, people... I bet every game developer, game programmer, game coder, or entertainment engineer (call yourselves whatever you want, I personally call myself a software engineer, the exact title my employer gives me) started with a framework that came from a previous iteration of a pinball controller operating system. Everyone starts with "Hello world", and from there its all downhill.

#4440 2 years ago
Quoted from njenabnit:

I've never purchased a new Stern before. I'm in Oklahoma. What's the best route for me to get my hands on one of these?

Quick, distributors, get all your shills lined up, we got a live one here... But honestly Joe at PinballSTAR has done me right.

#4447 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Has he ever sold you a NIB Stern?

Don't keep track of what he sells, just know he has taken care of me in the past as a distributor.

#4501 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

Last call for all The Munsters cry babies:
Go play your (simply coded) machine and leave this Mando page.
OR....
....sell the machine, take the loss like a man (because no woman ever cared about the code of a pinball machine) and buy a nice new (deeply coded) Mando.

May the ghost of Who-dey haunt you for the rest of your life.

#4502 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

because no woman ever cared about the code of a pinball machine

Also, you obviously have not met my wife. She would say that was a very bone-headed misogynistic comment to make about women in pinball.

#4507 2 years ago

Mine would capitulate if TAFrLE were ever produced by CGC... until then, it's wait till the RV garage/casita/game room is finished next year and even then, I have to wait a year for our finances to return to pre-post covid levels before more machines are purchased. Can't argue, my collection size gets to double eventually, and we only buy a NIB game once every 8 years. But I'm putting a foot down if I find a Subway or Centaur machine, be it NIB or HEP or a project machine... a man has limits.

#4604 2 years ago

The simple answer is buy a pro and a premium, swap what you want, sell what you have left over. Im sure someone will buy it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
6,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Goodrich, MI
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lansing, KS
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin Wiz Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona
Pinball Machine
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Jupiter, FL
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 495.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Life
Shooter rods
€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz
Decals
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JK Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bublehead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-the-way-stern-mandalorian-pinball?tu=Bublehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.