(Topic ID: 292222)

This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!

By zpinman370

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,622 posts
  • 817 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Oneangrymo
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!”

• Who's In 440 votes
    45%
  • Who's Out 198 votes
    20%
  • Don't Care 337 votes
    35%

(975 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0962 (resized).jpeg
mandalorian-mudhorn-1 (resized).JPG
mandalorian-mudhorn-2 (resized).JPG
IMG_4425 (resized).JPG
IMG_4423 (resized).JPG
IMG_4422 (resized).JPG
IMG_4424 (resized).JPG
mythosaur (resized).jpg
IMG_5792 (resized).jpg
manda22 (resized).jpg
IMG_0740 (resized).jpg
IMG_0739 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210840 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_205916 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210650 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230714_211645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,622 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 153.
#4251 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Does anyone know if the most of the distros got their pro's in stock by the reveal yesterday?

No one had/has stock yet. The first pros go to select operators for the routes... to help get the game accessible and to give the ops something to market. Those will be the first games that hit someone's hands (including distributors).

The game are being built... but have not had first customer ship yet.

#4252 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

So if a car company charges top dollar for a shitty car that’s ok because they owe you nothing? People are paying used car prices for a pin and if they abandon the game with inferior code that’s crap. You may not think so Chuck, you are totally coming across as a Stern apologist. I would bail at this point, your making yourself look bad, honestly.

You buy blindly (even before the reveal!) you assume the risk that the game isn't what you thought it would be. Stern isn't going to make one type of game - they've mixed it up in terms of their approach to the market. Buyers are bitching because they weren't informed ahead of time. The solution is simple... STOP BUYING SHIT BLINDLY.

#4253 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

The big deal is people can’t sell and move on without a big loss. Apologists don’t get that, which you are appearing more and more to be.

'without a loss' -- a risk people knowingly took. They need to own their choices. Not keep stomping their feet that the world bend to them.

Buying a game blindly does not grant you some special status to be owed what you believed something should be. They took a different approach then what some buyers thought they should take (hrmm.. sounds familiar again). If you don't like it.. DON'T BUY IT. If you bought it before you knew what it was... be an adult and own your decison.

#4254 2 years ago

Dwight took the barren playfield of Star Wars and spun it into gold so I'm psyched he's on Mando.

#4255 2 years ago

Just binged watched Season 1 of the Mandalorian with the family, first time watching it. The Mandalorian, Din Djarin, is kind of a cross between Robocop and Batman with Clint Eastwood's voice cadence. Good stuff.

#4256 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Fwiw, folks who program for a living tend to be pretty good at picking up new languages. The learning curve of a second language is a lot easier to manage once you learn the fundamentals on the first one.
I’d hazard a guess that anything Eddy said in interviews about “not being familiar with C++” came from a place of modesty. Also, with C++ being object oriented and the framework of the code in Mando already being there, I’m sure he’d be able to contribute easily with additions/adjustments/tweaks/fixes. It’s not as if he’d be starting with a blank slate or anything.
Probably a better question is whether Stern values Eddy’s time as a designer more than they value his time as a programmer. Harder to find good designers than programmers, I’m sure.

C++ was written to accommodate the C language and those familiar with it. The class functions are all declared globally for that reason. Java and .NET languages did not have that requirement of backwards support so every function is declared in class. Brian Eddy would be able to pick it up quickly, no more direct coding of memory allocation like in C either, ATL and MFC wrap a lot of under-the-hood C functionality in a higher level function. Smart pointers release memory automatically, .NET has automatic memory cleanup. C was more intensive of memory management. Eddy seems like a smart guy. At this stage C++ has been around a long time.

#4257 2 years ago

So does Dwight rotate or tilt?

#4258 2 years ago

Can't wait to binge watch season 2.

#4259 2 years ago

Where has this underlying notion come from that every new game has to be the best, deepest, most packed, most asset rich game ever?

I think it came from an era where new game releases were few and far between. Or the “dark days” at Stern when most releases were baron and with basic code.

But with the cadence these new games are being released, and the rapidly expanding market, there’s room for multiple types of games that appeal to multiple different buyers.

I could use a good carguement here but I won’t.

#4260 2 years ago

The game and stream was awesome. Looks like a fun pin to shoot!!! A premium is the only option at this point!! I like the add ons. Just needs speaker lights and a sub!!

#4261 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Game looks like a lot of fun. Cant please everyone, thanks to all who contributed and made the stream happen. I’ll be getting a pro and will have some fun trying to make a few mods.

Your mods are cool for sure. Keep up the good work!!! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

#4262 2 years ago
Quoted from tr8785:

Not trying to sound like a smart ass here;
It seems to me that Dwight has continued to code games since Munsters with great success. TMNT which he’s coded is continuing to sell. Mando looks to be folllowig suit. Dwight brought us Coop and team play, and now impossible and hero play. These are fun features that draw people into the games.
Pretty sure Dwight’s career is doing just fine.

True, the Munsters argument is getting old.
Even though GB needed a code update. It wasn’t as terrible as some say before the last update came out.
Dwight is a great programmer. He brought some great new innovative features to his games. Like Pict-O-Pops or Coop/Teamplay game modes.
For me he is close to the level Lyman is on.
Both Lyman and Dwight have their own way of doing things, but this is actually good. So the games get their own personalities and uniqueness.

Also remember, Dwight is just a normal person. Like we all are. We all made and still make mistakes, sometimes big one’s we regret and never can change. But we have to forget and leave the past behind. So why not just leave Munsters behind and keep looking forward.

#4263 2 years ago

Didn’t get chance to watch the stream and won’t get chance for another few days, was there any mention of the epic season 2 Luke finale being in the game anywhere?

Mando with a sprinkle of Luke would be perfection!

#4264 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Didn’t get chance to watch the stream and won’t get chance for another few days, was there any mention of the epic season 2 Luke finale being in the game anywhere?
Mando with a sprinkle of Luke would be perfection!

Yes, they have said he is in the game, with that episode featured, although it is not the end wizard mode.

#4265 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-NJA:

What power do you suggest it gives?
I feel like it limits the amount of pins that come into the country.
America has the most, because America created pinball and stern is an American company.
Maybe we should look at our government and their business and import restrictions....

That was the point exactly. 1 unique distro limits the number of pins NIB coming into the country and forces all the people to concentrate demand to 1 place only.

#4266 2 years ago

Anyone else think coop mode could be a hidden gem? Thinking if done right it could blossom into a really great experience like coop board games.

#4267 2 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

That was the point exactly. 1 unique distro limits the number of pins NIB coming into the country and forces all the people to concentrate demand to 1 place only.

..add no incentive for better service & bottlenecks when there's peak demand for games such as Mando. Even the website of that single outlet distributor had yet to be updated when the game was clearly available on other's sites. Their site finally got updated with LE pre-order pictures and info, but the game was already sold out by that time.

#4268 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Dwight took the barren playfield of Star Wars and spun it into gold so I'm psyched he's on Mando.

Dwight and team.

#4269 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

honestly mate? I think you've lost it.

#4270 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Lol, ultimate Stern apologists for pure laziness with Dwight’s shallow coding. Munsters code is complete and utter laziness. Munster madness 1, 2, 3 is tragically a rinse and repeat 3 times. How can you not understand this? Why should anyone have to move on from a theme they love???

WHAT THE F? Sorry dood but you are talking total BS. Stern said they wanted a simpler game and Munsters was it. Dwight followed the brief. If you think he is lazy you absolutely have no freaking clue what you are talking about. George/Gary could have had Dwight do more but they were happy. Not a Dwight issue but a Stern issue, but even if you change the code Munsters is hamstrung by those stupid stand ups and other design choices. I played munster and canceled my LE order after playing it.

#4271 2 years ago

Also don't forget that alot of Lyman games are so good because Lyman choses to put his own time into them. thats why we have had AC/DC, TWD and MET updates well after the games stopped selling.

#4272 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

None of this talk is a knock on Dwight’s stellar abilities to code games. In fact TMNT is a shining example of what Dwight could have, should have done on Munsters.

Guys, Munsters code is the way it is BY DESIGN. In several podcast interviews Dwight noted that Gomez had suggested that he try going simpler with Munsters, I suppose to make it more approachable to casual players. This might have been an over-correction after SW, I don't know, but Munsters is exactly the way they wanted it to be, for better or worse.

The problem is that when a coder known for complex, deep rulesets switches it up suddenly nobody is expected/wanting that from them, and many are left disappointed. Just like when your favorite band decides to alter their musical "formula" and loses 1/2 their fan base.

So if you want Munsters to have deeper code, I suggest you start coding it yourself.

...but by all signs Mando will have an interesting ruleset more typical of Dwight's style.

#4274 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Also don't forget that alot of Lyman games are so good because Lyman choses to put his own time into them. thats why we have had AC/DC, TWD and MET updates well after the games stopped selling.

True but it can take years to get a game good. I firmly believe you should never buy a game unless you are completely satisfied how it looks and plays at that moment of purchase. If you have high expectations then you verify those exact expectations before you buy. That might mean waiting a year to see if code improves. Never buy sight unseen. Never. Would you buy an old game like T2 sight unseen for $15000? Of course not. Pointless to argue you expected HEP resto quality for what you spent but only got a routed players with bunch of tacky mods.

#4275 2 years ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

Anyone else think coop mode could be a hidden gem? Thinking if done right it could blossom into a really great experience like coop board games.

Coop looks awesome and so does impossible mode.

#4276 2 years ago

So what we’re saying in this Mando thread is that if you like deep or complex code, don’t buy Munsters?

#4277 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Coop looks awesome and so does impossible mode.

Yeah, co-op, teams, and hero mode will be a nice addition to my (tiny) collection. I really wanted the TMNT modes in a theme I liked better, and now I can have my cake and eat it too

#4278 2 years ago

Two things that always make laugh the whole lazy thing. It’s so far from reality it doesn’t even register. The other is “coder” it is just so cringe. It just sounds so childish like saying he builds legos. Coder should not be a word.

#4279 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Two things that always make laugh the whole lazy thing. It’s so far from reality it doesn’t even register. The other is “coder” it is just so cringe. It just sounds so childish like saying he builds legos. Coder should not even be a word.

When software languages became modular, coding became the proper term. Yes. like legos is modular to individual bricks, easily re-deployable, that's a good analogy. I hear on the podcasts, Brian Eddy uses the term "programming". Programming is more archaic for C languages/assembly maybe and probably COBOL, things like that that are not modular, more of a all encompassing standalone program of functionality from start to finish. I've been a software engineer for over 20 years, code is the term of choice now and I started programming in C as well.

#4281 2 years ago

Watched the stream and was not impressed with the layout or the music/call outs.......another boring fan layout. Art, flow and assets are where this game shines. That being said, what is Brian Eddy thinking??? Just use the Shadow layout!! Hello!!! That game has one of the greatest layouts in pinball history. These old guard designers need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes to layouts because frankly they don’t have what it takes to keep up with Elwin.

In Elwin we Trust!

#4282 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

When software languages became modular, coding became the proper term. Yes. like legos is modular to individual bricks, easily re-deployable, that's a good analogy. I hear on the podcasts, Brian Eddy uses the term "programming". Programming is more archaic for C languages and probably no COBOL, things like that that are not modular, more of a all encompassing standalone program of functionality from start to finish. I've been a software engineer for over 20 years, code is the term of choice and I started programming in C.

I am also in software never in my life have I heard the word coder in a professional situation. The word code sure but to actually call someone a coder. It just sounds so amateur and childish. I would love to drop it in a meeting just to see the look on peoples faces. Notice you called yourself an SE you didn’t say I’ve been a coder. I used the term legos because it was a term that was synonymous with stupid. Anyone that said legos got ridiculed. I am Canadian though and we carry slightly different word culture from the UK.

#4283 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I am also in software never in my life have I heard the word coder in a professional situation. The word code sure but to actually call someone a coder. It just sounds so amateur and childish. I would love to drop it in a meeting just to see the look on peoples faces. Notice you called yourself an SE you didn’t say I’ve been a coder.

Yes you are right. The proper term there would be developer. Anyone that submits code to source control is a developer.

#4284 2 years ago

Yes you are right. The proper term there would be developer. Anyone that submits code to source control is a developer.

We don’t call our qa folks developers…

So much conflict

#4285 2 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Dwight is a great programmer. He brought some great new innovative features to his games. Like Pict-O-Pops or Coop/Teamplay game modes.

Just for the record...Coop/Teamplay was developed by Scott Danesi and merely copied by Dwight/Stern...

#4286 2 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

was not impressed with the layout or the music/call outs.......another boring fan layout. Art, flow and assets are where this game shines.

That’s unfortunate- felt like a fresh take to me. Listened to the stream with headphones on. Love the music and callouts as presented -integrated well so far. The addition of team modes interest me for hosting meet ups.

Elwin can do no wrong - biggest issue for that guy is he never gets full assets like this one. (Maiden excluded)

#4287 2 years ago

We call them bug makers and outage instigators.

#4288 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just for the record...Coop/Teamplay was developed by Scott Danesi and merely copied by Dwight/Stern...

Does the rules change in the OG coop and team play on spooky games? I thought those merely shared progress and score?

#4289 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Pro looks fine to me. Wish it had wireforms but not missing any of the other features. With the way those balls kept flying off the wireforms plastic ramps might even be needed.

Thinking about running orange Tube LED lights down my plastic ramps that flash red with Tie fighter shots happen.

#4290 2 years ago

I watched the stream and think the game looks great. Considering adding one to my collection, but if I do it will be the Pro. The only reason is because I’m concerned about the tilting playfield. Not a fan of the double flippers there and the possible maintenance issues of it. Owned a Stern game NIB once with a part that dropped down and raised frequently and sold it because I had to have it repaired multiple times when I barely played it. Still have PTSD from that experience and this playfield reminds me of it. I like toys, but not too complicated. Just makes me think more parts will break more frequently. I like the artwork, music, flow.

#4291 2 years ago

The mini pf is going to play manic and frenzied, so nothing like your bog standard mini pf. I think that's a plus point.

#4292 2 years ago

I think I read somewhere that Jack will have the game Monday in his place to get more hands on. Is this true? Like to watch some more gameplay while patiently waiting for mine to arrive.

#4293 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

I think I read somewhere that Jack will have the game Monday in his place to get more hands on. Is this true? Like to watch some more gameplay while patiently waiting for mine to arrive.

Yeah, somebody needs to confirm if it's happening on Monday - that's what was said in a post a few pages ago! Should be very interesting to see how the Pro takes care of that upper playfield and those ramps..!

#4294 2 years ago

Personnaly i don't want to see more of this, i watched 30min of the stream and that was enough to confirm that i will realy enjoy this game. I want to discover the more by myself and keep some surprises !

Somebody knows when the first machine will be out ? Heard about some production problems by the lack of some parts...

#4295 2 years ago
Quoted from November:

Personnaly i don't want to see more of this, i watched 30min of the stream and that was enough to confirm that i will realy enjoy this game. I want to discover the more by myself and keep some surprises !
Somebody knows when the first machine will be out ? Heard about some production problems by the lack of some parts...

Yeah, I seem to be in the minority there. I don't want to know every detail about a game. I just want to see an overview and get an idea. If someone tells me every little trick etc, it spoils the adventure and gives me little reason to buy it.

#4296 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Does the rules change in the OG coop and team play on spooky games? I thought those merely shared progress and score?

Think the rules fairly much the same for TNA except no extra balls awards and if you destroy a reactor your score will have a 1 at the end or 2,3 and so on for each reactor you have destroyed.

#4297 2 years ago

I suppose? But then you also wouldn’t have a distro selling the LE for $14k usd
Nitro bring in as many pins as they can, these days supply has been a issue.
Stern can’t make them fast enough.

Quoted from Darth_Chris:

#4298 2 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

True, the Munsters argument is getting old.
Even though GB needed a code update. It wasn’t as terrible as some say before the last update came out.
For me he is close to the level Lyman is on.
Both Lyman and Dwight have their own way of doing things, but this is actually good. So the games get their own personalities and uniqueness.
Also remember, Dwight is just a normal person. Like we all are. We all made and still make mistakes, sometimes big one’s we regret and never can change. But we have to forget and leave the past behind. So why not just leave Munsters behind and keep looking forward.

But Dwight has a chance to fix the Munsters mistake. Everyone doesn’t get a second chance. Hard for people who have a Munsters still to look forward when Dwight could fix it.

#4299 2 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Watched the stream and was not impressed with the layout or the music/call outs.

Voice callouts from the show including from the main actors will be added. They have many great callouts to use. But they will be added as the code progresses and more so near the end, once all the rules, lightshows, sound effects have been added in. Callouts will be one of the last things added.

#4300 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Oh the irony. We get it, you have buyers remorse with Munsters. Maybe next time play a game before you buy it. Stern makes a title for like two years, just wait and see. Or watch all the streams beforehand. Do your research. It was obvious how simple the rules were from the get go. What you hope a game should be is not reality.

Also stop calling Dwight lazy. It’s disrespectful. He is on Pinside. He doesn’t deserve the hate and frankly you wouldn’t act that way if you were in the same room with him.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin Wiz Mods

$ 35.00
Lighting - Backbox
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 495.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JK Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, VA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Cheap Drainz Shop

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1,999.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

There are 7,622 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-the-way-stern-mandalorian-pinball/page/86?hl=november and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.