(Topic ID: 292222)

This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!

By zpinman370

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,620 posts
  • 817 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by brzezicki
  • Topic is favorited by 159 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!”

• Who's In 440 votes
    45%
  • Who's Out 198 votes
    20%
  • Don't Care 337 votes
    35%

(975 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mandalorian-mudhorn-1 (resized).JPG
mandalorian-mudhorn-2 (resized).JPG
IMG_4425 (resized).JPG
IMG_4423 (resized).JPG
IMG_4422 (resized).JPG
IMG_4424 (resized).JPG
mythosaur (resized).jpg
IMG_5792 (resized).jpg
manda22 (resized).jpg
IMG_0740 (resized).jpg
IMG_0739 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210840 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_205916 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210650 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230714_211645 (resized).jpg
5.42 Mandalorian Manual (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,620 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 153.
#3501 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Nope. You don't rotate the plane. You rotate the yoke fore and aft which changes the position of the horizontal tail surfaces which in turn changes the tail down force which inturn rotates the logitudinal nose to tail control through the lateral access which cuts through the CG. That rotation is pitch
Trust me, your flight instructor never told you "rotate to 10 deg nose up" or "rotate to 5 deg nose down" from straight and level, if he/she did - they were using the term incorrectly...you pitch for desired attitude. The only place we use "rotate" is on takeoff, post V1. In this example during takeoff...the "Rotate" callout is the action/command necessary to pitch the aircraft by means of the yoke.

*Sigh* It's called rotate because the plane literally rotates. This is my final post on this topic, and anyone over and done with this argument can skip this. And if anyone wants the elementary version of this, check out the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum webpage on "How things fly" which says:

"Rotation around the front-to-back axis is called roll.
Rotation around the side-to-side axis is called pitch.
Rotation around the vertical axis is called yaw."

Pitch, yaw, and roll are all subcategories of rotation, just like how a cow is a mammal, which is also an animal. Many terms are more general, and others more specific to better communicate what you mean. If you said, "the plane moved," then someone would ask, "how did it move?" You can be more specific and say, "it rotated," but a plane can rotate on a lot of axis, so it's better to specify on which axis you rotated. Did you execute a lateral rotation to the left, or more simply, "yaw left" or "yaw to port"? Did you rotate the plane such that the nose pulls toward your head? Then you changed the "pitch." Did you rotate left or right along an axis that runs down the fuselage? Then you "rolled."

Pitch, yaw, and roll are more succinct and specific terms to describe a rotation. From a marketing standpoint, the unfortunate reality is that "pitch" doesn't work great as a verb or adjective to describe rotation. It'd be awkward to say the mini PF is a "Pitching playfield" or "A playfield that changes pitch" in promo materials, so it becomes a "Rotating playfield."

Done. Let's play pinball

#3502 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

*Sigh* It's called rotate because the plane literally rotates. This is my final post on this topic, and anyone over and done with this argument can skip this. And if anyone wants the elementary version of this, check out the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum webpage on "How things fly" which says:
Pitch, yaw, and roll are all subcategories of rotation, just like how a cow is a mammal, which is also an animal. Many terms are more general, and others more specific to better communicate what you mean. If you said, "the plane moved," then someone would ask, "how did it move?" You can be more specific and say, "it rotated," but a plane can rotate on a lot of axis, so it's better to specify on which axis you rotated. Did you execute a lateral rotation to the left, or more simply, "yaw left" or "yaw to port"? Did you rotate the plane such that the nose pulls toward your head? Then you changed the "pitch." Did you rotate left or right along an axis that runs down the fuselage? Then you "rolled."
Pitch, yaw, and roll are more succinct and specific terms to describe a rotation. From a marketing standpoint, the unfortunate reality is that "pitch" doesn't work great as a verb or adjective to describe rotation. It'd be awkward to say the mini PF is a "Pitching playfield" or "A playfield that changes pitch" in promo materials, so it becomes a "Rotating playfield."
Done. Let's play pinball

Edited: So it's pitch (rotation around side-to-side axis) and not roll or yaw on Mandalorian? And roll (rotation around front to-back axis) not pitch or yaw on JPPOTC?

#3503 2 years ago

I’d say that “Rocking” is a more suitable descriptor. No one has ever said that the ship in POTC “Rotates” because...it doesn’t. It’s “rocks” back and forth.

Quoted from Xelz:

Done. Let's play pinball

#3504 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

So it's roll and not pitch or yaw on Mandalorian? And pitch not roll or yaw on JPPOTC?

I would describe JJ POTC's mini PF as rockin'

#3505 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

I would describe JJ POTC's mini PF as rockin'

And IJ IPA Path of Adventure as well.

#3506 2 years ago

27 minutes without a thread post? Bump...

#3507 2 years ago

What about crop rotation? The crops don't rotate at all

#3508 2 years ago

Dwight mentioned in the Super Awesome Pinball podcast that there's no lane by the "D" in C-H-I-L-D. Did anyone catch how the "D" is lit?

#3509 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

Dwight mentioned in the Super Awesome Pinball podcast that there's no lane by the "D" in C-H-I-L-D. Did anyone catch how the "D" is lit?

Dwight Sullivan on that podcast also said there were surprises. Maybe that's one of them for him to point it out like he did.

#3510 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Maybe just have it drop down so there is less momentum. Games with magnets seem to have no problem stopping a ball at full speed or pulling it in. I don't see any reason why this would be hard to figure out. I'm not talking Houdini throws on the ball. Even if he just pushed it as it rolled in front of him would be a way cooler toy then we got.

Well that's because the magnet is a lot closer to the ball, a few mm if not directly touching. Magnetic force is inversely proportional to the distance squared. So the magnetic force on a ball 3mm away is 100 times greater than if it was 30mm away. So a ball flying through the air would have some distance between the magnet and the ball and it would need to be a very strong magnet to affect the trajectory.

#3511 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

*Sigh* It's called rotate because the plane literally rotates.

*Sigh* back at you...We're arguing semantics now. The necessary input allows rotation - rotation is the result. We both know the aircraft rotates about an axis. Just as the mini-playfield does about it's own lateral axis. I said this in my first post about this weird offshoot discussion.

Someone brought up V1, Vr, Rotate specifically before my post though, and I was answering that, maybe I should have clarified more. (I edited the original to reflect that) It's called "rotate" in the takeoff example in that it is a callout performed to que the pilot to pitch the aircraft, using the yoke, to reach a desired aircraft liftoff state in a takeoff scenario only. By your own definition, Pitch is a more descriptive term to target the specific rotational movement axis. So why don't we say V1, VR Pitch? Because rotate in this scenario is a multitude of things and is more appropriate to the action being performed. It is a callout command, it is a reminder, it is a que, it is an action, and it is a result...that's all I was saying

Yes the aircraft rotates about an axis, that movement is pitch.

Agreed, Stern can't say pitches because it's not as flashy in description. Rotates sounds better for marketing and is technically correct

What were we talking about again...oh yeah...pinball

Done

#3512 2 years ago
Quoted from DerezzedKnight:

The main villain is yet to come. They name drop I believe in the last episode, but unless you've read up on Star Wars you may not know who he is.

Rian Johnson

#3513 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If you think 4th dimensionally the entire game rotates as we are like rotating around the sun as a planet man.
[quoted image]

Smokin on that Purple Erkle or the Elon Kush

pe (resized).jpgpe (resized).jpg
#3514 2 years ago

#3515 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Seems like it would have to be a very strong magnet to pull a ball flying through the air a noticeable distance. Some games have been good at using jump ramps to catch a ball (NBA, Goldeneye) or using magnets as a diverter (TOTAN), but that would be a pretty cool trick if they can pull it off.
While speaking of magnet tricks, bring back the wand from Capcom Magic

The best use of that magnet would have been in the outlane or center drain ala Black knight or ACNC save.

#3516 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The best use of that magnet would have been in the outlane or center drain ala Black knight or ACNC save.

Actually that Goldeneye/ACNC center magnet would be a pretty fun ball save on Mando. It was a good force power reveal on the show where he saves Mando from that one beast. Have the child save your draining ball just before dying

#3517 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Actually that Goldeneye/ACNC center magnet would be a pretty fun ball save on Mando.

Even better, make it Rick & Morty style. Tap it too early, you actually suck the ball down into the drain. Time it right, throw it back up the middle. Would be a hundred times more fun than whatever's going on above the rollovers.

#3518 2 years ago

So the stream is this Friday correct? Does anyone know if it will be the premium version as well as the pro?

#3519 2 years ago

Hopefully it’s the version where Baby Yoda “controls the ball” and the upper playfield “rotates” round and round and round like spinning top.

Quoted from fooflighter:

So the stream is this Friday correct? Does anyone know if it will be the premium version as well as the pro?

#3520 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

There's a Dead Flip thread on Pinside I think you could ask there or ping Mr. Danger directly he's here under Dead Flip I think.

#3521 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Hopefully it’s the version where Baby Yoda “controls the ball” and the upper playfield “rotates” round and round and round like spinning top.

#3522 2 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

ATC is busy slurring their words at parties, greeting from ZMP!

Unless your at LAS..then you just do it on the mid shift...greetings from DCA! Are there other controllers on the forum?

#3523 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Wouldn't that be spinning not rotating?

#3524 2 years ago

Upper playfield tilts, there is no rotation.

#3525 2 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Upper playfield tilts, there is no rotation.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3526 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

You’re nuts. Shadow lock for sure.

Also the kraken on Legends of Valhalla is a very foot magnet too.

#3527 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Even better, make it Rick & Morty style.

Um that’s jungle lord style thank you very much.

#3528 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You’re nuts. Shadow lock for sure.
Also the kraken on Legends of Valhalla is a very foot magnet too.

What does it do on LOV? Short video clip?

#3529 2 years ago

I liked the ToM inlane magnets. Actually, I liked all of the magnets on ToM.

#3530 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

What does it do on LOV? Short video clip?

Grabs the balls for MB and throws them around. During play I’ve seen it grab the ball and throw it through like 4-5 different shots on the playfield.

#3531 2 years ago

Isn’t rotation spinning?

Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Wouldn't that be spinning not rotating?

04F23151-76F7-45DD-92D1-7E9A469126C5 (resized).jpeg04F23151-76F7-45DD-92D1-7E9A469126C5 (resized).jpeg
#3532 2 years ago
e421bb8abb371d2f270860a5e0823bf8.gife421bb8abb371d2f270860a5e0823bf8.gif
#3533 2 years ago

Sincere post regarding the LE backglass. What precautions are made in shipping or receiving at home so it doe not break? If it does break, does Stern have replacements? Is there a translite shipped with the backglass as well? Thanks!

#3534 2 years ago

Sincere post regarding the LE backglass. What precautions are made in shipping or receiving at home so it doe not break? If it does break, does Stern have replacements? Is there a translite shipped with the backglass as well? Thanks!

There is no spare translite sent. The backglass is in the backbox when packed. That’s the safest way to ship.

If it breaks, stern will replace, but you have to mail them the shatter glass as proof first.

#3535 2 years ago

22 pages of masturbation since I last looked. Anything news worthy or still a circle jerk?

#3536 2 years ago

Still a complete and total circle jerk. Dudes freaking out about Stern saying the mini playfield rotates.

Let’s continue to debate middle school geometry instead of talking about pinball.

Quoted from EricHadley:

22 pages of masturbation since I last looked. Anything news worth or still a circle jerk?

DCE3471B-E70C-4A3C-B920-40DF056AE7DA (resized).jpegDCE3471B-E70C-4A3C-B920-40DF056AE7DA (resized).jpeg
#3537 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

22 pages of masturbation since I last looked. Anything news worthy or still a circle jerk?

Wacky always keeping it real.

#3538 2 years ago

Listen, it’s going to continue until I finish.

Quoted from EricHadley:

#3539 2 years ago

Maybe there is a shit-ton of magnets under the playfield that "force" the ball around.
There...not rotation related.

#3540 2 years ago
Quoted from tr8785:

Still a complete and total circle jerk. Dudes freaking out about Stern saying the mini playfield rotates.
Let’s continue to debate middle school geometry instead of talking about pinball.
[quoted image]

So, discuss pinball. Oh wait, just another post of nothing calling out others about nothing. You either are here for discussion, or you don't have to visit. I find the thread funny as hell. The only ones being annoying are the whiners complaining about whats being discussed and make sure everyone knows they are annoyed, but yet, don't actually offer anything to talk about. As with most threads.

Maybe one of the super sleuths can sneak into Stern and find out once and for all if baby yoda moves and they can report back here, you know with some actual information. In the meantime, the rest of us will continue to yammer about nothing.

#3541 2 years ago

Yes, I apologize for the sarcasm in my response to a pinsider asking if there was any new news about the machine, other than a bunch of posts in response to someone calling Stern people liars for saying an upper playfield rotates. (It does in fact rotate.)

I would love to discuss anything about this pinball machine. I maybe don’t love the debates over what rotation is and isn’t. Possibly, it’s annoying because it detracts from any positive yak about this new title that I am excited about.

Again, I’m incredibly sorry for offending you. Shame on me for being so asinine and stupid!

Maybe you should go sit on a stick and..... wait for it..........

ROTATE!

Quoted from Zablon:

So, discuss pinball. Oh wait, just another post of nothing calling out others about nothing. You either are here for discussion, or you don't have to visit. I find the thread funny as hell. The only ones being annoying are the whiners complaining about whats being discussed and make sure everyone knows they are annoyed, but yet, don't actually offer anything to talk about. As with most threads.
Maybe one of the super sleuths can sneak into Stern and find out once and for all if baby yoda moves and they can report back here, you know with some actual information. In the meantime, the rest of us will continue to yammer about nothing.

#3542 2 years ago

And in the final analysis, from you all I've learned that yes, the Mandalorian mini playfield has pitch, like an airplane, which is front-to-back rotation around a side-to-side axis shown in the reveal video. Tilt is not rotation, in itself, just a way to describe relative axis positioning from normal axes for the axis of rotation. "Rocking" is roll, like an airplane, side-to-side rotation around a front-to-back axis, which is what JPPOTC mini playfield does. Stern is correct, the Mandalorian mini playfield rotates. So does the JPPOTC one. Thanks for the insight!

#3543 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

still a circle jerk?

Rotational jerk.

#3544 2 years ago

And in the final analysis, from you all I've learned that yes, the Mandalorian mini playfield has pitch, like an airplane, which is front-to-back rotation around a side-to-side axis shown in the reveal video. Tilt is not rotation, in itself, just a way to describe relative axis positioning from normal axes for the axis of rotation. "Rocking" is roll, like an airplane, side-to-side rotation around a front-to-back axis, which is what JPPOTC mini playfield does. Stern is correct, the Mandalorian mini playfield rotates. So does the JPPOTC one. Thanks for the insight!

And all that education came for free.

#3545 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Rotational jerk.

I prefer counter-rotational

#3546 2 years ago

At this point in the rotation discussion I am feeling like the debate should go back to Cara Dune.

#3547 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There is no spare translite sent. The backglass is in the backbox when packed. That’s the safest way to ship.
If it breaks, stern will replace, but you have to mail them the shatter glass as proof first.

I had my JP LE back glass break. Didn’t have to mail, sent pictures of broken glass in email.

#3548 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Jack doesn't know but he thinks premium

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadflip-now-on-pinside/page/14#post-6285624

#3549 2 years ago
Quoted from tr8785:

Yes, I apologize for the sarcasm in my response to a pinsider asking if there was any new news about the machine, other than a bunch of posts in response to someone calling Stern people liars for saying an upper playfield rotates. (It does in fact rotate.)
I would love to discuss anything about this pinball machine. I maybe don’t love the debates over what rotation is and isn’t. Possibly, it’s annoying because it detracts from any positive yak about this new title that I am excited about.
Again, I’m incredibly sorry for offending you. Shame on me for being so asinine and stupid!
Maybe you should go sit on a stick and..... wait for it..........
ROTATE!

Until we see more, there is nothing else positive to say. If there was, you would have brought it up. You're excited? Excited about what? You still failed to say anything except that you're offended. I like the game too, but what there is to be said has been said. Now we're just speculating. Also, saying it rotates is like saying it floats because it's on 4 legs while the rest of it is 3 feet off the ground.

#3550 2 years ago
Quoted from kumanaga:

I prefer counter-rotational

If the head doesn't spin like in Exorcist, I'm out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, MA
There are 7,620 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-the-way-stern-mandalorian-pinball/page/71?hl=breger1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.