(Topic ID: 292222)

This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!

By zpinman370

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,620 posts
  • 817 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by brzezicki
  • Topic is favorited by 159 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“This is the Way - Stern Mandalorian Pinball is Here!!”

• Who's In 440 votes
    45%
  • Who's Out 198 votes
    20%
  • Don't Care 337 votes
    35%

(975 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mandalorian-mudhorn-1 (resized).JPG
mandalorian-mudhorn-2 (resized).JPG
IMG_4425 (resized).JPG
IMG_4423 (resized).JPG
IMG_4422 (resized).JPG
IMG_4424 (resized).JPG
mythosaur (resized).jpg
IMG_5792 (resized).jpg
manda22 (resized).jpg
IMG_0740 (resized).jpg
IMG_0739 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210840 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_205916 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230922_210650 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230714_211645 (resized).jpg
5.42 Mandalorian Manual (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,620 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 153.
#3451 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If you think 4th dimensionally the entire game rotates as we are like rotating around the sun as a planet man.
[quoted image]

The game doesn't rotate, the planet does from the games point of view.

#3452 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Exxxxactly, thank you!

He’s saying that Sterns description is correct - the mini Playfield could be described as rotating.

#3453 2 years ago

Dear Stern,
Can you please release another playfield picture or game feature for people to talk about.
This “rotating playfield” banter has my head rotating.
Thanks in advance.

#3454 2 years ago

There are two types of movement...linear or rotational. Pitch/yaw/tilt/spin/etc are all rotational movement. If it is going around an axis...I don't care which one...it's rotation.

Holy hell this place is getting more ridiculous by the day.

#3455 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If you think 4th dimensionally the entire game rotates as we are like rotating around the sun as a planet man.
[quoted image]

No, it´s actually so that we kind of spirals around the sun.

#3456 2 years ago

no spoilers but I have only 2 episodes left before I complete season 2 of this show and although it's been very good, this show desperately needs a villan that is actually threatening. No spoilers if something does change......

The old man in the black suit is just not believable. He doesn't come across as evil at all and really isn't intimidating. I really hope someone is introduced (like a darth type) to really introduce a threat. Otherwise, it's really just creatures that have been impressive. This show needs a good villian.

#3457 2 years ago

No spoilers at all.
But let me know if the last episode doesn’t tie it all together.

Quoted from delt31:

no spoilers but I have only 2 episodes left before I complete season 2 of this show and although it's been very good, this show desperately needs a villan that is actually threatening. No spoilers if something does change......
The old man in the black suit is just not believable. He doesn't come across as evil at all and really isn't intimidating. I really hope someone is introduced (like a darth type) to really introduce a threat. Otherwise, it's really just creatures that have been impressive. This show needs a good villian.

#3458 2 years ago

Anybody need a geometry lesson? I was just going over this with my middle school child.

I just want to know the next thing some hater is going to bash stern about today.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/cc-eighth-grade-math/geometric-transformations/rotations-8th/a/rotations-review

7322D09A-FD92-407E-B55C-90D45BFD49BB (resized).jpeg7322D09A-FD92-407E-B55C-90D45BFD49BB (resized).jpeg
#3459 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The main villain is yet to come. They name drop I believe in the last episode, but unless you've read up on Star Wars you may not know who he is.

#3460 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Okay guys, as a pilot, I have to step in here since comparisons are being made in above posts to aviation... when we talk about rotation, we are referring to the rotation of the control yoke (not the aircraft) to manipulate the elevator, stabilizer, or stabilator depending on the aircraft, in order to change the tail down force of the aircraft to manipulate longitudinal control about the lateral axis which travels wingtip to wingtip, the movement about that lateral axis is pitch...and we pitch the aircraft to a degree above 0 or below 0.
So in our mini play field, the servo or mechanism is providing rotation about a lateral axis. That movement is pitch. One could say the play field rotates on an axis, but a more correct term would be that the playfield pitches to a specified degree.

As a pilot myself, I disagree You use the yoke, by way of the elevator, to rotate the plane which changes its pitch.

But... back to pinball.

#3461 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

No scary? He led a drug empire out of a laundromat all while making chicken. Scary!!

#3462 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Any word if deadflips stream will have both the pro and premium/le?

If past streams are anything to go by, they usually start with a Pro and then switch to a LE or Prem.
Edit: typo

#3463 2 years ago

lots of pilots in this forum, as such, I have very important questions:

Are you guys putting the auto pilot on to play pinball?

Are XXX films good at representing a day in the job?

Thank you

#3464 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

No scary? He led a drug empire out of a laundromat all while making chicken. Scary!!

The moment he was shown on Mando, I was terrified.

#3465 2 years ago

All this mini playfield rotation talk reminds me of an old expression from way back which dealt with a certain extended middle finger and the accompanying verbal instructions of "sit on it and rotate"... which is exactly the sentiment I want to convey to all the rotational BS talkers. When did pinball devolve into a battle of semantics? It moves in a rotational relationship between the main playfield and the mini playfield. The path it takes places it on a 90 degree perpendicular axis which is collinear with a line drawn from left to right across the main playfield. Wether it has an actual axis of rotation on a pivot point or a virtual one by way of movement, one thing is patently certain and obvious, it fucking rotates. If something has an axis of rotation, it rotates, wether it makes a complete 360 degree arc, or not.

#3466 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

All this mini playfield rotation talk reminds me of an old expression from way back which dealt with a certain extended middle finger and the accompanying verbal instructions of "sit on it and rotate"... which is exactly the sentiment I want to convey to all the rotational BS talkers. When did pinball devolve into a battle of semantics? It moves in a rotational relationship between the main playfield and the mini playfield. The path it takes places it on a 90 degree perpendicular axis which is collinear with a line drawn from left to right across the main playfield. Wether it has an actual axis of rotation on a pivot point or a virtual one by way of movement, one thing is patently certain and obvious, it fucking rotates. If something has an axis of rotation, it rotates, wether it makes a complete 360 degree arc, or not.

Just wanted to jump in on this in a FUN way. Nothing else. A pinball playfield is not horizontal, it in itself, is rotated from a horizontal axis for proper gameplay. Even the pro mini playfield is therefore, "rotated", since it has a parallel axis to the rotated static playfield. The Premium/LE mini playfield has that and relative rotation to the statically positioned main playfield.

#3467 2 years ago

Could someone please rotate my head really hard so I won't have to endure three more days of discussion on the definition of "rotate"? TIA!

snap.gifsnap.gif
#3468 2 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Could someone please rotate my head really hard so I won't have to endure three more days of discussion on the definition of "rotate"? TIA!
[quoted image]

I'm actually surprised no one brought up yaw..

#3469 2 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

I'm actually surprised no one brought up yaw..

Don’t leave out roll! So does the mini playfield pitch or roll?

Damn, we need more info on this pin to discuss. Friday’s stream can’t come soon enough...

#3470 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

As a pilot myself, I disagree You use the yoke, by way of the elevator, to rotate the plane which changes its pitch.
But... back to pinball.

As someone who is NOT a pilot but who is an air traffic controller I say this......pilots are lame...

#3471 2 years ago

I heard this thread was the place to check on whether my IJ Path of Adventure tilts, swivels, or rotates. A guy I know is telling me one thing, but I think he's wrong. Please advise.

#3472 2 years ago

Magnets in this game be so strong, game just levitates off the ground and the player rotates around it.

#3473 2 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

As someone who is NOT a pilot but who is an air traffic controller I say this......pilots are lame...

The rotating mini playfield has auto-pilot.

#3474 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

The mini playfield has auto-pilot.

This is probably a more accurate description than 'rotates'.

#3475 2 years ago

As per usual, this thread was not hard to derail. Now...let’s talk about how bad Randy Martinez art work is

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3476 2 years ago

THIS..when I’m having to due future repairs and need to remove the rotating, mini, playfield, helmet.

A1DF62B2-B47B-4AF3-90F8-14FC012E2E55.gifA1DF62B2-B47B-4AF3-90F8-14FC012E2E55.gif

#3477 2 years ago

wouldn't it be pivoting mini? Pivot.............................Pivot.

pivot y.gifpivot y.gif
#3478 2 years ago

Why use an ugly metal round plate for magnet?

Would have been way more magical to leave art and have magnet under playfield art like GB and Addams.

Another reason I'm going Pro.
Oh that and the $

#3479 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

As per usual, this thread was not hard to derail. Now...let’s talk about how bad Randy Martinez art work is

There needs to be a rail to derail...

Now..let's talk about those wood rails!

#3480 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Would have been way more magical to leave art and have magnet under playfield art like GB and Addams.
Oh that and the $

as we have seen with shadow and other games. magnets will chew the crap out of the wood and art. Metal plate is the only way, for people to not complain about the art getting trashed. look at the crotch of James bond in golden eye.

#3481 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

as we have seen with shadow and other games. magnets will chew the crap out of the wood and art. Metal plate is the only way, for people to not complain about the art getting trashed. look at the crotch of James bond in golden eye.

Let me guess: a ball wore a hole through his pants?

#3482 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Zero issues with my Addams and GB

I want it my way!

Shadow ok I agree

#3483 2 years ago

The only thing that's rotating are the numbers in Gary Sterns Bank account; thanks to all you suckers...

mando_pinball_main (resized).jpgmando_pinball_main (resized).jpg
#3484 2 years ago

Although Mandalorian has been the best thing that has happened to Star Wars in, well since ROTJ, this pinball machine is NOT the best thing that has happened to pinball. I understand the enthusiasm for new pins, new layouts, callouts, rulesets, toys, themes, artwork, and all, but this hype train is heading for a rude derailment when people get to flip it. The mini playfield is a interesting toy, but it lacks a payoff. When I look at it, I am not in awe of what it does, how it will play, or how it integrates into the theme. What I do see is endless flipping and target bashing that has no physical payoff. What do I get for all that wood chopping? I get a virtual payoff, some mode is completed and they show me some video or animated achievement and we start all over again. The Child magnet is just poorly implemented Stern throw away tech that is there to get Gary's buy in, which I guess goes a long way even though he isn't actually running the company. The artwork is pretty generic, as well, and the incongruous swinging target off the Razorcrest is like lets have an AC/DC bell toy but make it look like crap. There is one definite thing this pin has and that is that unmistakable stench of "just another f-ing Stern" which is a phrase we used to use back in the 70's and now has started to apply with the latest average Stern titles.

Stern?!?! He's nothing but a low-down, double-dealing, backstabbing, larcenous perverted worm! Hanging's too good for him. Burning's too good for him! He should be torn into little bitsy pieces and buried alive!

#3485 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Zero issues with my Addams and GB
I want it my way!
Shadow ok I agree

it's the way the magnets act. Addams and GB grab the ball randomly in different spots. It's not the same confined area all the time. and the pulses are shorter, which means it doesn't lock the ball down, drag it across the wood and release it. Short pulse just changes direction of the ball in a fraction of a second. Pulling the ball tight to the wood, then dragging it a specific direction, will dig a trench in the playfield.

#3486 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

But... back to pinball.

Nope. You don't rotate the plane. The plane rotates after you provide the necessary input. You rotate the yoke aft (during the takeoff example) which changes the position of the horizontal tail surfaces which in turn changes the tail down force which inturn rotates the logitudinal nose to tail control through the lateral access which cuts through the CG. That movement is pitch. That number is then directly represented on the attitude indicator in degrees. This doesn't even account for angle of attack or flight path vector.

Trust me, your flight instructor never told you "rotate to 10 deg nose up" or "rotate to 5 deg nose down" from straight and level, if he/she did - they were using the term incorrectly...you pitch to a desired attitude. They said "pitch to 10 degrees or give me a 5 deg nose up climb/nose down decent"...The only place we use "rotate" is really on takeoff, post V1 at Vr. In this example during takeoff...the "Rotate" is a callout used during the takeoff profile and is the action/command necessary to pitch the aircraft by means of rotating the yoke.

But as you said, back to pinball

In Stern's defense technically the playfield is rotating about an axis, a lateral one, but an axis no less. It may be a poor choice of words although technically correct as everyone's casual brain thinks rotation in terms of a spinning disc, so I think people were hoping the playfield actually spun about a vertical axis like a record.

#3487 2 years ago

all this talk about Mandalorian so I started watching it. Made it through 1.5 episodes. I liked that dude with blue skin in the opening scenes, hopefully he‘ll become the wisecracking sidekick of the main character later on. It’s an interesting script choice to have a main character wearing a mask. Maybe it‘ll come off at some point. Not sure about this Grogu thing - he‘s more irritating than the teddy bears in Star Wars 6.

I like the look of the game and I like the way Brian Eddy provides a lot of info with the inserts. I always liked that about his older games. I think I‘d prefer a one flipper upper playfield, but that „rotating“ feature looks kind of cool, but changing flipper strength on the pro might work really nice. The layout, has got to be the „fanniest“ ever - seven main shots from left to right - each being being pretty much on the same level as every other - this is my main concern at the moment.

#3488 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's the way the magnets act. Addams and GB grab the ball randomly in different spots. It's not the same confined area all the time. and the pulses are shorter, which means it doesn't lock the ball down, drag it across the wood and release it. Short pulse just changes direction of the ball in a fraction of a second. Pulling the ball tight to the wood, then dragging it a specific direction, will dig a trench in the playfield.

Could this have been done with a "sacrificial" surface? Magnet under the playfield, but that "under the playfield" segment is a drop in flap that can be replaced and hooked up after wear becomes unacceptable to the owner? Every engineering issue has a solution. Just takes time to find it and make it cost effective in this case.

#3489 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Although Mandalorian has been the best thing that has happened to Star Wars in, well since ROTJ, this pinball machine is NOT the best thing that has happened to pinball. I understand the enthusiasm for new pins, new layouts, callouts, rulesets, toys, themes, artwork, and all, but this hype train is heading for a rude derailment when people get to flip it. The mini playfield is a interesting toy, but it lacks a payoff. When I look at it, I am not in awe of what it does, how it will play, or how it integrates into the theme. What I do see is endless flipping and target bashing that has no physical payoff. What do I get for all that wood chopping? I get a virtual payoff, some mode is completed and they show me some video or animated achievement and we start all over again. The Child magnet is just poorly implemented Stern throw away tech that is there to get Gary's buy in, which I guess goes a long way even though he isn't actually running the company. The artwork is pretty generic, as well, and the incongruous swinging target off the Razorcrest is like lets have an AC/DC bell toy but make it look like crap. There is one definite thing this pin has and that is that unmistakable stench of "just another f-ing Stern" which is a phrase we used to use back in the 70's and now has started to apply with the latest average Stern titles.
Stern?!?! He's nothing but a low-down, double-dealing, backstabbing, larcenous perverted worm! Hanging's too good for him. Burning's too good for him! He should be torn into little bitsy pieces and buried alive!

#bublebabble

#3490 2 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

Agreed and guilty - nothing worse than going to a party and people start talking aviation...But I know you guys do it too !!

#3491 2 years ago

Could this have been done with a "sacrificial" surface? Magnet under the playfield, but that "under the playfield" segment is a drop in flap that can be replaced and hooked up after wear becomes unacceptable to the owner? Every engineering issue has a solution. Just takes time to find it.

It's the other side... This is why Shadow sanctum wears so badly. You're pulling the hard ball down and across the playfield.

They do have a 'sacrificial layer' - that's the big magnet core and apron they have now

#3492 2 years ago

Could this have been done with a "sacrificial" surface? Magnet under the playfield, but that "under the playfield" segment is a drop in flap that can be replaced and hooked up after wear becomes unacceptable to the owner? Every engineering issue has a solution. Just takes time to find it and make it cost effective in this case.

That's basically how we got the modern magnet design. A magnetic core with an protective metal collar around it, each replaceable/adjustable.

Some intrepid modder can make some stickers for it like they have on other games with this magnet design.

#3493 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Oh that and the $

I think the magnet choice in Mando is due to it holding the ball before it's tossed down one of the C-H-I-L-D lanes, an exposed magnet core is needed for that as otherwise magnet burn can occur (Shadow). Games that have magnets hidden under the playfield don't hold the ball but just activate briefly to cause movement.

#3494 2 years ago

I am not swayed by the fear of SW fanboys... I chew nails and spit out teeth.

#kermitthehermit

#3495 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I liked that dude with blue skin in the opening scenes, hopefully he‘ll become the wisecracking sidekick of the main character later on.

Horatio Sanz!

Horatio-Sanz-Mythrol-March-2021 (resized).jpgHoratio-Sanz-Mythrol-March-2021 (resized).jpg

(Looking at this pic, dude has lost some weight since his SNL days, or maybe the beard just hides the double-chin. I should probably look into that myself).

#3496 2 years ago

I think they should have done a jump ramp, with two landings and a magnet on one side. Then when the ball is the air the child could force push or pull it as a diverter. Would be pretty easy and no wear.

#3497 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Agreed and guilty - nothing worse than going to a party and people start talking aviation...But I know you guys do it too !!

ATC is busy slurring their words at parties, greeting from ZMP!

#3498 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I think they should have done a jump ramp, with two landings and a magnet on one side. Then when the ball is the air the child could force push or pull it as a diverter. Would be pretty easy and no wear.

Seems like it would have to be a very strong magnet to pull a ball flying through the air a noticeable distance. Some games have been good at using jump ramps to catch a ball (NBA, Goldeneye) or using magnets as a diverter (TOTAN), but that would be a pretty cool trick if they can pull it off.

While speaking of magnet tricks, bring back the wand from Capcom Magic

#3499 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Magnets in this game be so strong, game just levitates off the ground and the player rotates around it.

"The Force is Strong with those Magnets.."

Sorry, I had to, please carry on!

#3500 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Seems like it would have to be a very strong magnet to pull a ball flying through the air a noticeable distance. Some games have been good at using jump ramps to catch a ball (NBA, Goldeneye) or using magnets as a diverter (TOTAN), but that would be a pretty cool trick if they can pull it off.
While speaking of magnet tricks, bring back the wand from Capcom Magic

Maybe just have it drop down so there is less momentum. Games with magnets seem to have no problem stopping a ball at full speed or pulling it in. I don't see any reason why this would be hard to figure out. I'm not talking Houdini throws on the ball. Even if he just pushed it as it rolled in front of him would be a way cooler toy then we got.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wentzville, MO
There are 7,620 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-the-way-stern-mandalorian-pinball/page/70?hl=luckycreature and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.