pasted_image (resized).png

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 73 days ago

Well I have ended my summer vacation and I'm now back to sitting in front of a computer for 8-10 hours a day at my teaching job and I figured I'd document my latest restoration as well as a bit of how I spent my summer vacation, so if you are bored and looking for something to read/look at a way we goooo.....

#2 73 days ago

So this whole story goes back to January 8th, 2021. While doing one of my daily facebook searches I happen to stumble across a $150 sale for an EBD and a Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom over in Ohio, roughly 4 hours from where I live. Both games look like they have been laying in a pile of hay in a barn, turns out this is completely accurate. I tried to find the original ad so I could share it but it has disappeared from Facebook history. Needless to say I missed out on it and I was truly sad because I had already acquired a CPR playfield and plastic set for Voltan last year when they were released with a plan to eventually build one from scratch, but obviously having an original to copy or restore would be the easier path.pasted_image (resized).png Anyway chalk it up to a loss and figure I've missed my shot, back to the eventual build plan and just then another person sends me a link to a facebook post from the guy who did pick up the games! Commence the Facebook stalking. I reach out to the guy who got the games, they were only 10 minutes from his house, and he is new to pinball. He actually only wanted the EBD and didn't really know about the Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom until people started reaching out to him. I definitely let him know I was interested in it and the negotiations begin. I let him know my plan to restore it if I got it. I shared some of my previous restoration work. He really didn't care much about the rarity and he just wanted something closer to working condition. Now this is where my hoarding skills finally pay off. In my storage unit I have a Stern Stars that I picked up for $150 the previous summer. I'll be the first to admit that in gameplay Stars blows away Voltan, but in looks I think we can all admit Voltan wins.pasted_image (resized).png So for me this was an easy choice. We arrange the deal which includes him keeping the original Voltan backglass, and me throwing in a new MPU for the Stars. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Now obviously the Voltan has had a rough existence, but seems to have provided a nice home for several families of mud dobbers and mice over the years. Schedule a exchange date of January 18th I'll be doing the driving.

#3 73 days ago

This is most certainly going to be good. Please continue maestro

#4 73 days ago

So on Sunday, January 17th I get my pinball road trip buddy John to do a 8 hour trip with me to Evansville to pick up this Hot Wheels!pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
We get that set up at my location, North End Pub, 2100 Elwood Ave. Lafayette, IN 47904 (cheap plug, come play pinball!). Then the next day, January 18th, MLK Jr. Day (so I have off work). I start the day by opening an email I received, ooo what do we have here? Amazing custom mirrored backglasses made by Coos that he will be shipping to me this week! This becomes important as we travel down this Voltan's path. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png As you can see I love classic Bally solid-state games, and I love mirrored backglasses.

I start driving east to Ohio, I call John early and say "hey want to do another one" and the sucker falls for it! I pick him up in Indianapolis along the route since I was going by his place anyway. It is always good to have a road trip buddy, especially one who enjoys pinball and food as much as you do! We make the trip and we get the game loaded.pasted_image (resized).png The game smells awful, we had to drive with the windows down even though it was freezing out because of the odor. We also stopped to get some amazing BBQ somewhere along the way and met up with a former co-worker of John who happened to live nearby. It was a very enjoyable afternoon. The first thing I checked on the game was the soundboard to see if we had possibly stumbled into one of the legendary prototype sounds boards used in 4-6 of the Voltans that were built, but alas we had not. pasted_image (resized).png Make the 4 hour drive home, and unload the game at my storage unit because I do not want that smell anywhere near my house. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png Also, that is not the EBD from the Facebook ad, this is a different one that actually belongs to djblouw that I picked up for him sometime during the pandemic and have been storing for him. It is in much nicer shape than any of the actual games involved in this deal. From here on out our story takes a several-month vacation as I wrap up the school year and plan to work on the game over the summer. During that time I did complete my scratch build Star Gazer and sold that to a fellow pinsider which really boosted my confidence in my abilities of working on games, especially something as rare as Voltan. pasted_image (resized).png

#5 73 days ago

Two weeks later and my new backglasses have arrived. They look great and I love them, my dogs are less impressed. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png I'm so happy with the quality of Coos backglass work that I reach out to him about doing Voltan, and adding mirroring to the design. He lets me have input on what all should be mirrored. He believes initially that I have gone overboard with the mirroring aspect, but also says it is your glass so do as you please. My heavyweight wrestler I've spent the last four years coaching places as state for the second year in a row. He entered the tournament ranked #1 in the state, but had a disappointing finish. I'm still incredibly proud of him and most importantly he had already earned a full ride scholarship for college to wrestle. pasted_image (resized).png

March rolls around and jdoz2 and Gov come out to visit since we can't do TPF this year. We play lots of pinball and make a delicious seafood boil, and eat a good amount of carrot cake during their visit. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png As per our tradition we take no photos together.

April rolls around and the Voltan backglass arrives! I'm incredibly happy with it. Coos has changed his mind and even stated he thinks it may now be one of his favorite backglasses! I immediately add new trim and lift to it and place it in storage.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6 73 days ago

As April continues I realize I should get something added to the location since GNR came and went so fast because I couldn't stand it and I pull this Meteor out of my storage unit. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I get it home and now realize it has the displays wired up like I have never seen any other game before, ribbon cables. It is also one of the Meteor playfields with red ink layer on it. Not sure what all of this indicates but I'm excited to dig in.

Hey look it works! JK!pasted_image (resized).png
Just a little dirty.pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

And right about now you are probably all like, "hey wait, I thought this was the story of a voltan" and I'm like I'm getting to it, think of this like an episode of HIMYM, we are going to take a few fucking detours as we get to our destination okay.

Repinning. It sucks. It is time consuming. It isn't fun. IT SAVES YOU TONS OF HEADACHES LATER! DO IT! This is the first game where I just repinned absolutely everything right from the start instead of tracking down stuff later as problems popped up. It made a huge difference. I know it isn't fun but just do it if you are working on any classic bally or stern machines. pasted_image (resized).png

Oh look new lightboards!pasted_image (resized).png
Oh look new drop targets! pasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).png

#7 73 days ago

Hey this game was kinda cheap, and I'm not doing a playfield swap on it since it is jut going right to location so let's see if I have any artistic ability and touch up this playfield and then clearcoat it using a recommended product from brenna98 !

Wow this isn't so hard at all! (what I said as I touched up the black)pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Okay lets lock in those touchups using KBS diamondplate that you roll/brush on.
Wow this actually looks great, was easy to use, and not terribly toxic. Sure it has a little orange peel to it but we can sand that no big deal. pasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).png
We had a few inserts that had shrunk on the original playfield and fallen out. They were all transparent orange, the only replacements I could find were opaque white. Honestly not a big deal to me and kind of makes them stand out. I replace and glue in place.
Sanding works, but I get carried away and remove paint. I learn I can't match colors at all and my detail work is terrible. Spot the problems time.

#8 73 days ago

Thanks for sharing your journey so far. Interesting to catch a glimpse into another’s hobby journey.

#9 73 days ago

For some reason it wouldn't let me add the photo to the above post.

Anyway shitty touchup work is done, more clear, more sanding. None of which goes well. Eventually I abandon this strategy and I just order a playfield protector from BeeHive which was a great product.

Learned that tumbling things is great, but with these medal posts much easier to attach to a drill and clean and polish that way. pasted_image (resized).png

Getting there. pasted_image (resized).png

Oh look displays! Thanks wolffpac, they make a great product, and I personally have just fallen in love with the white LED displays. https://www.wolffpactech.com/

Oh and here is that "touch-up" in case you didn't spot it earlier. Once again I promise to never paint another playfield. pasted_image (resized).png

#10 73 days ago

Entertaining read, please continue

#11 73 days ago

Touchup looks great Tommy!

About the same as some of my efforts....
IMG_2923 (resized).JPG

IMG_3805 (resized).JPG
#12 73 days ago

As we approach the end of May I got to go to my first professional wrestling show since the pandemic. My friend and I flew to Orlando, met up with my college roommate, hung out at the pool all day then drove to Jacksonville that night for the show, went out after the show, got home around 4:30AM and headed back to the airport to catch out flight home. It was a ton of fun, but I also realized I'm getting too old for this shit. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Back to reality...Playfield protector arrived, install was a breeze.pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

And Almost done...pasted_image (resized).png

Qucik pause to package up Star Gazer (the most careful I have ever been packaging and moving a game, and loading it up for a road trip to Cleveland to meet up with GorillaBiscuits . pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I sucker my buddy John into another trip and we meet up at Super Electric in Cleveland which was an awesome place! GorillaBiscuits was an awesome dude, and I took us out to lunch as was part of the deal! It was great to get to travel a bit more as the pandemic was slowing down, and we were able to get vaccinated. I was also secretly really jealous of GorillaBiscuits shirt game. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#13 73 days ago

At this point I was super close to starting my summer vacation, I'm a teacher so I still get those which is great. I was trying to make a deal for a Tron but it didn't work out. I played in a pinball tournament in Indianapolis that got done near midnight and around 1 am I stopped to pick up this Led Zeppelin that popped up for sale. I honestly kind of forgot this happened. Straight to location. I think Led Zeppelin layout is just okay, but I think the ruleset is the most unique thing done at Stern since Wheel of Fortune. It did well for a few months but left to a new owner about two weeks ago.
pasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).png

I was finishing up school. This is one of my special education students. He was aging out of school I have worked with him for the past six years. He just verbalized a few words for the first time this past year, basically just being able to say colors out loud. It may sound like a small achievement but it brought me to tears. I love this kid and as this school year has started and he isn't there to greet me everyday for our PE class I'm very sad. The weather was getting very hot but we spent the day walking laps on the track outside and he loved it.pasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).png

Speaking of heat, I couldn't do the long pandemic hair and the heat so it had to go. To be fair, it wasn't exactly growing in that thick anymore anyway. pasted_image (resized).png

Oh yeah, I forgot this Dolly came back to me as well. I'm not talking about the patron saint Ms. Dolly Parton, but this particular machine well it gets around. First it was pulled out of a barn by Gov and jdoz2 . From there it came to me. From me it went to djblouw . From him it went to our friend Matt. From Matt it came back to me. That is Springfield, MO to Lafayette, IN to Grand Rapids, MI to Bloomington, IN and now back to Lafayette. It is staying this time and it has entered the future restoration queue, but for now it is available on location at North End Pub and it features the Yoppsicle LED lights designed by David Yopp. I will be using these lights on my future restorations as they are amazing!pasted_image (resized).png

My Star Gazer sale both saddened me and made me proud. It got posted slightly out of an argument with my girlfriend about it being in our kitchen a wee bit longer than I said it would be. Anway it has a good home now, and from my sale thread I actually got hired by a gentleman to build another one. So I had begin gathering parts for that and I figured I should see if Coos would let me do another mirrored backglass and of course him being amazing he did. The neon green will all be mirrored. As I knew that several others were now building games too I was able to put together a large order for people who wanted mirrored glasses. So I expect you will see these popping up all over in the near future, well probably after expo since right now they are all still sitting in my living room. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14 73 days ago

And finally summer was here! To start the summer out I got this picture.

That is my wrestling coach. His wife had contacted me a few weeks earlier letting me know he was retiring from teaching. Words can not express how much this man means to me and how much of an impact he has had on my life. He is also the toughest human I have ever met. I spent the last week of school reaching out to old teammates and getting a retirement video put together for him as a surprise. All we asked was that if he actually cried we wanted proof and well we succeeded. Again I don't think I am who I am today without this man. Needless to say this was a good start to the summer for me.

From this point me and Daphne (my bull terrier, aka Spudz Mackenzie for those my age or older, aka the target dog for any of you young folks) loaded the car and headed up to our little lake house in southern Michigan which brings us back to our original title of the thread VOLTAN! This is where I planned to do most of the work on this title over my summer vacation. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Wait, that doesn't look like Voltan!? Is probably what you are saying. It isn't, it's a Bally Lost World that I picked up in Indianapolis somewhere between January and May. I don't remember when. It was gutted and had been filled with Christmas lights and was serving as decoration in Rupert's Kids Arcade in Shelbyville, IN. The original owner of the game was now trying to downsize his collection of stuff and posted it for sale and I knew it would be perfect for my needs so I picked it up. I mean you saw that mouse piss infested thing I had to start with, this was a much better alternative.

So drive up after school to enjoy Memorial Day weekend at the lake. First night unload the car. Sleep. Wake up balls early the next morning because my girlfriend Alyssa has to go coach a soccer tournament in South Bend, and I have to drive to Angola, IN to pick up a playfield I had purchased back before Covid was a thing. pasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Yep long before CPR had made a Rolling Stones playfield I thought it would be a cool game to build from relative scratch and purchased this assembled playfield. Since that initial purchase djblouw decided he wanted to build it more and he purchased it from me. This playfield was bought from Florida, caught a ride with the original owners brother from Florida to Ohio, and eventually made it's way to their lake house in Angola, IN where I picked it up, and then eventually delivered to Grand Rapids, MI. I'm looking forward to seeing this game restored as it was one of the earliest Ballys I played at TPF back in like 2013 tournament and I really enjoyed it.

Spent as much time as I could that weekend with the dogs and the girlfriend as she had to return for two more weeks of school at her building. Yes she is beautiful, and yes I'm aware I'm very lucky. The dog is cute too. pasted_image (resized).png
We also had a visit from my best friend and his wife. I've known him for 30+ years at this point, couldn't ask for a better friend, and his wife is amazing. We hadn't seen each other in almost 2 years because of the pandemic, once we were together it was like we hadn't missed any time at all. We also realized it was the longest we had ever gone without seeing each other since before I moved to Indiana when I was 6. It was a very nice holiday weekend. pasted_image (resized).png

While they were visiting I got a Pinside message about a game I had agreed to buy. We had a little miscommunication and he thought I was coming on Memorial Day, while I thought I was just coming up sometime that week. No big deal, I'll make it work. Oh wait, I thought you said you were a little north of Grand Rapids, roughly a 1.5 hour drive from my lake, not so bad, but I misread something and turns out it was more like hey I'm in the UP and it's about 4.5 hour drive haha oh well off we go. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

2 AM and a bit tired on the drive, lets stop off at a casino for a quick break and lose $100. Forge on and get the game unloaded around 3AM. pasted_image (resized).png

#15 73 days ago

Okay, next day, let's take another road trip, this time over to the Detroit area...I think. The week has kind of turned into a blur.
Mystery game to be revealed later.

#16 73 days ago

Dude I'm exhausted just reading this! Awesome diary, keep it goin'.

#17 73 days ago

And finally...
Time to work on Voltan. As you can see this cabinet is nicer, and doesn't smell like piss, or have anything living in it. Coin door isn't great, security bar holes, etc, but it is much better and fixable. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).png

It is always interesting to me to see where games have lived.

Cabinet was striped of parts and I wanted to try acetone paint removal that is recommended by PinballPimp . I loved it and will be using this technique in the future as well. pasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).png

It is like magic!
pasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#18 73 days ago

That's enough work for one day, lets enjoy the view and grill some dinner. Yes that steak looks huge and delicious, what you don't see is that I stepped inside to play some Hotdoggin while that side of the steak cooked, and well I had a good ball and came out to my grill in flames. I ate the food because I cooked the food, but it was not my best meal.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#19 73 days ago

And on to more Voltan. So let's take care of those holes on the front of the cabinet. I'm not a professional restorer. Also our lake house is kind of in the middle of nowhere and I don't have all my tools and supplies with me so sometimes I just make do. You will notice here I have taped the holes from the backside just using common duct tape, and filled the holes with fiberglass resin. I had no idea if those would work. Turns out it worked well. I would likely not do it this way again but at the time I had no staple gun up there so no way to attach anything to the backside of the holes. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Breakfastpasted_image (resized).png

Lunch pasted_image (resized).png

I don't know if I had dinner that day, I probably did because I love food, but that was basically it for the cabinet on this first week of my summer vacation. I had to return to Lafayette to set up the mystery game at my location!

Yep the Tron deal that fell through, well it got a second chance at life, and thanks to my good friend Porkfritter we were able to add it to our location! Tron was the first modern machine that I learned how to play at Main Street Amusements run by msadan . He is the whole reason I got into pinball, and thanks to him I've made a lot of friends via this hobby and all it's addictive qualities. The game was in great HUO shape, and the first thing I do is stick it in a bar, whatever man pinball machines are meant to be shared! I upgrade the game to LEDS and a LEDOCD board and there it has been sitting since the first week in June. pasted_image (resized).png

After setting the game up I headed to my second job where I have worked at a local bar, DT Kirby's for the past 10 years on the weekends. That is where I make my pinball money, teaching pays the bills (barely) an then all my extra curricular activities are paid for by slinging burgers and beer. I was also excited to get through this weekend because once I did I would actually not be returning to the lake to work on Voltan but taking a mini vacation to visit jdoz2 and Gov in Springfield! I closed the bar around 3AM, got in the car and hit the road because I had to get there in time for the Stranger Things Launch Party they were hosting the next day!

#20 73 days ago

The sun was quickly rising on my drive, and I was more tired than I expected despite the multiple red bulls. I pulled over and took a brief nap, and continued onward. pasted_image (resized).png

Oh look a rainbow, please ignore the bug ridden windshield.

Oh look the St. Louis Arch, halfway there!

I made it! pasted_image (resized).png

I won it! pasted_image (resized).png

Being the good friends they are they know I love the ocean and specifically sharks. They took me to the local aquarium because it has a shark diving experience. It was awesome! One of the highlights of my summer for sure! pasted_image (resized).png
Thats me, the one in the cage with the bubbles I swear.pasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

After the sharks as per usual we ate good! Then we decided to try to finish up Gov 's EK restoration he had been working on for what seemed like forever. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

The days I was there flew by, and before you know it I was headed back. I was tasked with transporting a different Dolly Parton for djblouw home. So we loaded it up.pasted_image (resized).png
Oh wait what is that, a message from my distributor that my Mandalorian has been picked up but will be shipping the next day. Oh wait you are only 15 minutes off my route on the drive home? Yeah I can make it work. And thus began the craziest pinload / pinroad trip I have taken. To the roof you go Dolly! pasted_image (resized).png
Halfway home and still attached. pasted_image (resized).png

#21 73 days ago

Look, see I knew it would all fit!pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Game delivered and set up on location, I think we managed to be the very first location to have this game by a few hours that day. pasted_image (resized).png
Brett is one of the employees at my location, and the dude has gotten really good at pinball, and he loves Star Wars as you can see by some of his tattoos. I invited him down to help me set the game up and stream it that day.

Also took this weekend to finally load up Meteor after a month or so of test playing in my garage and get it to North End Pub.

I also had to get AIQ ready at the location because I had qualified for PinClash 2.0.
pasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).png

I wound up winning in overtime against Andrew Rosa Jr. before losing to Dalton the next round.

The next day a cheap Lectronamo popped up about 3 hours away in Chicago so I hit the road, I could use this on a future scratch build, or just play the game because I think it is underrated.

While making that drive a Medieval Madness popped up in Indianapolis, my buddy Yopp had been looking for one so I helped him get that deal made, and as soon as I returned with Lectronamo I dropped it off at my storage unit, and immediately headed to Indy to pick up the MM. pasted_image (resized).png

Loaded. pasted_image (resized).png

In return for the pick up, and because he couldn't get here for a few weeks to get the game and clearly as you can see my storage unit is full Yopp let me put it on location. They got Tron, Mando and MM within a week of each other, what a start to summer for our customers. pasted_image (resized).png

#22 73 days ago

And back to the lake we go for more Voltan! pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Strip the head, and again used acetone, but you get how that works by now.

Onto the playfield.pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Testing my choice of pink. Top is freshly painted, bottom is original. I think I matched it pretty damn well.

Rusty parts into a bucket with evapo-rust.pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Let's do some priming!pasted_image (resized).png

Now while that dries we will start repinning. Just like on Meteor I'm just going to do every single connector. pasted_image (resized).png

That takes forever. I also have an idea for some new spinner decals because the red arrow just isn't doing it for me. I take some pics of the CPR playfield and get to work in photoshop and send it off to a decal maker. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

That's it for this week. Back home. My pinball road trip buddy John had since won the North End Pub championship and took this iconic photo with the belt. pasted_image (resized).png

#23 73 days ago

Back up the next week. By the way I should probably explain. This summer I typically spend Sunday night - Wednesday night at the lake. I would return on Thursdays to run pinball league at my location, work at the bar Friday and Saturday, and then go back to the lake on Sundays. 6 weeks into summer I had driven 10,000 miles.

Finding flaws in the base coat / primer. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I guess this explains the power outage. pasted_image (resized).png

The lower cab needed more work, but the head turned out good. Let's stencil! pasted_image (resized).png
And Paint!pasted_image (resized).png

Repeat with the other side.
Uh Oh... As you can see the paint looks great, but you may notice the oddly textured areas.
Well I let this stencil stay on a bit too long and I got some adhesive stuck to the base of the cabinet. In the end it wasn't a big deal, but it did cost me several, and I mean several stressful hours of cleaning it with qtips, razor blades, goo gone, and naptha. I don't know the exact reason this happened. PinballPimp thought maybe my basecoat wasn't dry enough, but it had been weeks, and the other side of the head was fine. I suspect it may have been like I said leaving it on too long, or the humidity, or the sun hitting it directly after I had painted it. In the end no big deal, but another learning experience.

#24 73 days ago

Did you use a lacquer based paint? I found that lacquer and stencils don't mix.

#25 73 days ago

On to the lower cab, and this is about the time I start getting bad about taking pictures and just try to work a bit faster.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#26 73 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Did you use a lacquer based paint? I found that lacquer and stencils don't mix.

I didn't. I've moved to using Molotow paints on all my cabinets. I purchase it from Bombing Science. I love their color variety and quality of paint.
https://shop.bombingscience.com/graffiti-paint/brands/belton-molotow-paint

#27 73 days ago

I have had weird results with uneven paint applications. I'm thinking regular primer is not good enough to seal the porous wood. Duplicator make a primer and sealer in a single can. I'm going to try it on my next repaint.

#28 73 days ago

Okay time to start tackling the playfield. Also I have no rhyme or reason for the order in which I do stuff. I don't know if it is better to do cabinet then the playfield or vice versa, or both at the same time. Whatever works for you I'd say. I spent most of my time at the lake alone over the summer and just worked a few hours here, and a few hours there, watch some tv, have a fire, cook some food, work on this, work on that. Anyway here we go....
Well apparently I've hit a item upload limit. I don't know if this is per thread, or per day. I guess we are on a pause now.

#29 73 days ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I didn't. I've moved to using Molotow paints on all my cabinets. I purchase it from Bombing Science. I love their color variety and quality of paint.
https://shop.bombingscience.com/graffiti-paint/brands/belton-molotow-paint

I saw someone had mentioned Molotow on another thread. Maybe it was you? Anyway, I want to try them as well but I didn't really see the color options on bombings website.
Have you found a good color match for ebd from them?

#30 73 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I saw someone had mentioned Molotow on another thread. Maybe it was you? Anyway, I want to try them as well but I didn't really see the color options on bombings website.
Have you found a good color match for ebd from them?

This page should have the colors.

https://shop.bombingscience.com/molotow-premium-400ml.html

Without an EBD in front of me I would guess. Vanilla #6 and Quince #8, but there seem to be several that would be very close in color. Like #1 & #2 as well, I circled them in this picture and it now seems to be letting me load pictures again.

#31 73 days ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Well apparently I've hit a item upload limit. I don't know if this is per thread, or per day. I guess we are on a pause now.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

#32 73 days ago
Quoted from craif:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I never heard of this! Sucks!

#33 73 days ago

So back to that playfield...lets start by doing all the tnuts and all brand new sockets and from there start to wire them in. If you aren't aware the sockets on these old games suck. If you want to save a lot of headaches later just replace them now. pasted_image (resized).png

Ice cream break. The few weeks Alyssa was able to join me this summer we spent driving around southern Michigan looking for ice cream joints. Our favorite ended up being The Hayloft in Decatur, MI. pasted_image (resized).png

More wiring. pasted_image (resized).png

Incoming Facebook message. Time travel with me back to January. A person posts an image in a pinball group asking about some games he has found in a storage unit. He wants to know some info about them and their potential value. It happened to be a game I've been keeping an eye out for, but regardless I just give them the likely value, and a few recent for sale threads for the title. And jump with me back to June. I get that Facebook message. It's the same guy. He says hey I realize I'm never going to get this game working, I know you said it was one you were interested in, and you were one of the only people to give me the real value and information about it without just trying to buy it or lowball me, so would you be interested in purchasing it. Of course I'm an addict so I said yes, and this is why I now have this game sitting in my garage (because storage unit is out of space) and waiting for restoration. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Not only do I get a game I've been wanting, but it has the sweet early production blue cabinet. My CPR playfield actually just got delivered. This is the second playfield I have bought for Cheetah because I originally planned to build one from scratch. However after that playfield arrived I discovered that emsrph who was in the middle of the process didn't secure a new playfield from CPR so I agreed to sell him mine at cost. His thread is full of awesome info if you haven't seen it check it out. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-a-cheetah/page/2#post-6323870

Anyway, this Cheetah is on the slate for a fall restoration. I think I'm just going to do the playfield on it because the cabinet isn't that bad, and I love the original blue factor. Not that I couldn't just repaint in those colors, but I think the original uniqueness of that one should be saved. Oh and side note, if anyone out there got one of the CPR playfields with the blue bonus inserts from their original run instead of the green production version I would love to trade since my game actually has the blue inserts on the original. Let me know and spread the word!

And back home we go. Daphne is always exhausted after being at the lake because there are several other dogs up there she plays with. What kind of dog gets silk pillows and fleece blankets, straight up spoiled! pasted_image (resized).png

#34 73 days ago

Anyway, thanks for posting the molotow colors. Ebd is a tough one to match. I have restored 3 of them and have another 3 in cue. The cream actually has a green hue which makes it difficult. The gold is easier. Virtually impossible to find in rattle cans. The first 2 games I used oil based paint and air sprayed. Messy clean up and generally 6 month curing time for oil before laying a clear coat. Third one was lacquer and found its a big no no for stencils. Ended up taking to an auto body shop and had a pro paint it for me I just laid the stencils for him. Price was $600 in 2017.

#35 73 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Anyway, thanks for posting the molotow colors. Ebd is a tough one to match. I have restored 3 of them and have another 3 in cue. The cream actually has a green hue which makes it difficult. The gold is easier. Virtually impossible to find in rattle cans. The first 2 games I used oil based paint and air sprayed. Messy clean up and generally 6 month curing time for oil before laying a clear coat. Third one was lacquer and found its a big no no for stencils. Ended up taking to an auto body shop and had a pro paint it for me I just laid the stencils for him. Price was $600 in.

So back to that playfield...lets start by doing all the tnuts and all brand new sockets and from there start to wire them in. If you aren't aware the sockets on these old games suck. If you want to save a lot of headaches later just replace them now. [quoted image]
Ice cream break. The few weeks Alyssa was able to join me this summer we spent driving around southern Michigan looking for ice cream joints. Our favorite ended up being The Hayloft in Decatur, MI. [quoted image]
More wiring. [quoted image]
Incoming Facebook message. Time travel with me back to January. A person posts an image in a pinball group asking about some games he has found in a storage unit. He wants to know some info about them and their potential value. It happened to be a game I've been keeping an eye out for, but regardless I just give them the likely value, and a few recent for sale threads for the title. And jump with me back to June. I get that Facebook message. It's the same guy. He says hey I realize I'm never going to get this game working, I know you said it was one you were interested in, and you were one of the only people to give me the real value and information about it without just trying to buy it or lowball me, so would you be interested in purchasing it. Of course I'm an addict so I said yes, and this is why I now have this game sitting in my garage (because storage unit is out of space) and waiting for restoration. [quoted image][quoted image]
Not only do I get a game I've been wanting, but it has the sweet early production blue cabinet. My CPR playfield actually just got delivered. This is the second playfield I have bought for Cheetah because I originally planned to build one from scratch. However after that playfield arrived I discovered that emsrph who was in the middle of the process didn't secure a new playfield from CPR so I agreed to sell him mine at cost. His thread is full of awesome info if you haven't seen it check it out. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-a-cheetah/page/2#post-6323870
Anyway, this Cheetah is on the slate for a fall restoration. I think I'm just going to do the playfield on it because the cabinet isn't that bad, and I love the original blue factor. Not that I couldn't just repaint in those colors, but I think the original uniqueness of that one should be saved.
And back home we go. Daphne is always exhausted after being at the lake because there are several other dogs up there she plays with. What kind of dog gets silk pillows and fleece blankets, straight up spoiled! [quoted image][quoted image]

I think I sold pop bumper parts to emsrph for this game a while ago.

#36 73 days ago

Agreed new lamp sockets are must on a Bally or Stern swap.

#37 73 days ago

Pinball package day...
mild panic as only 3 out of 4 boxes arrived, also you can see one corner was dented. Spoiler alert all backglasses were okay, and the 4th box arrived the next day. They contained these. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Also finished up those spinner decals and ordered. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Side project, I've collected print & posters for awhile. I finally got around to framing some this summer. I hoped to put them in my classroom, but alas I found out Monday I still don't have a classroom at my school due to some weird circumstances and I will again be in the library this year. Anyway here are some of the ones I got framed. I still have like 15 more to go.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#38 73 days ago

It looks like you are loading pics just fine now! Good stuff here!

#40 73 days ago

Went to the wedding of my coach's youngest daughter. pasted_image (resized).png
Also celebrated my parent's 40th anniversary.pasted_image (resized).png
And then picked up two pins the next morning thanks to help from my dad, Alyssa, and Lincoln.pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Then Daphne and I are back off to the lake for more work. pasted_image (resized).png

#41 73 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Where is Coos? Is he the guy overseas?

Yep. Look I appreciate all the people out there making reproduction parts, especially playfields and backglasses. I realize it is often a thankless job, and without them so many of these restorations wouldn't be impossible. But without hesitation, I can say that Coos makes the highest quality reproductions of any backglasses I have seen over CPR, BGresto, & Shays. I have had all their glasses, and I gladly use them when I can, but for me, the extra money is worth it for Coos' quality, especially when it comes to mirroring.
https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/backglasses.html

#42 73 days ago

Now onto more cabinet work, time for some purple. I think my dad may have been here with me since I appear in one of the photos. Oh nevermind I guess it is Alyssa.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#43 73 days ago

And back inside we go. Notice Skypilot 's rotisserie I built a few years ago. Love it.
The worst part of a playfield swap is drilling into these beautiful playfields, it is truly nerve racking, and the worst of the worst is putting in the pop bumper screws. pasted_image (resized).png
New flipper mechs. pasted_image (resized).png
New stand up targets. pasted_image (resized).png
Starting with posts, I prefer clear. I think it gives the games a more modern look, and also helps a ton with lighting. My restores are not meant to look original. pasted_image (resized).png
More pinning. Always transfer or use new keypins!pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png pasted_image (resized).png
Facebook memory from like 8-9 years ago. My first games all in one spot. I had gotten rid of a couch to fit all of them. Only the Baywatch remains. pasted_image (resized).png
Stopped by kruzman house to visit and repair his new WPT. Ron is the best playfield guy out there, and a great friend. I got to visit him several times this summer and really appreciate all our conversations! pasted_image (resized).png

#44 73 days ago

Back outside, have I mentioned how great PinballPimp stencils are? They are great, thank you for making them even for these weird random titles that you will probably only ever sell a handful of. It is coming together. By the way this is now July 2nd, I've been working on the game for roughly a month at this point part time.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#45 73 days ago

Here you can see some of the imperfections. I spent several hours going back in and perfecting these areas. pasted_image (resized).png
We also got an Oculus Quest this summer after playing it at Gov house. It is awesome, watching people play is as entertaining as playing it yourself sometimes. pasted_image (resized).png
Queen of the Dachshunds pasted_image (resized).png
My latest tumbler suffered an injury, thankful for Harbor Freights return policy. pasted_image (resized).png

#46 73 days ago

This may seem like a small thing, but the lightboard in the back is incredibly time consuming. Not only was this one gross because I had to reuse the original one, it also has the majority of the connectors on it, 5 displays, plus connectors going to the MPU, LDB, and Rectifier. I spent roughly 12 hours on this in one day. Stripping it, sanding it, painting it, then repinning while the paint dried. Then the next day installing all new sockets, new wiring, and then reconnecting the harness to it. Roughly probably 20 hours in total labor on the light board. That being said it turned out great.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#47 73 days ago

Dude, stellar Nine Days reference in the title. Had to do a double take on that, Lol. 90s FTW!

Also looks like you have won summer this year... Keep up the great work!

#48 73 days ago

More cabinet touch up. As you can see my alignment wasn't perfect. I also had some other areas where I caused issues. No big deals, all fixable, just more time.

#49 73 days ago

Now some nice pics outside with the sun. I love the colors on this cabinet.

#50 73 days ago

Pop bumper debate, clear or blue skirts. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
I went clear. pasted_image (resized).png
Bottom side update. pasted_image (resized).png
Daphne always sad when we leave the lake. July 7th at this point. pasted_image (resized).png

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside