(Topic ID: 94130)

This is not an exciting time for Pinball !

By stretch2

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

001-wonka-edited.jpg
    gggggggg.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    Ruby WOZ.jpg
    predator-arnie-980x653.jpg
    train-wreck.jpg
    Playfield.jpg
    image-11.jpg
    LW3.jpg
    JP.jpg
    George Popcorn.gif
    2577021946_ba985189b5_o.jpg
    hA4FEED92.jpg
    Season_4_-_Heisenberg.jpg
    1211357550323.jpg
    I hate Iron Maiden.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 9 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

This is why and others think Stern is hurting future sales with this remake. Market drops and so does the churn rate which results in less sales.

The continued saturation will catch up… its not if but when.

#252 9 years ago

When I see a decent "B" game on CL for a great price and then grab it for $600 less then the seller was asking - that's an investment. Nothing like taking a dirty game gotten cheap, some novus, rags, bulbs, rubber rings & a Saturday to help pay for the next buy. I'm buying WOZ figuring I will loose a little if I ever sell it, hope that day never comes.

#253 9 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

First world problems.
    Play pinball.

001-wonka-edited.jpg 46 KB

^^^^Pretty much on the money. I like to keep that little thing called perspective.

#254 9 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

This is why and others think Stern is hurting future sales with this remake. Market drops and so does the churn rate which results in less sales.

That is probably the most relevant comment made in this entire disaster of a thread.

#255 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I agree. But don't you see the hypocrisy, jealousy and hate is on both sides?
    A lot of the guys laughing all this time about MM loser's are Stern owners. And now with the Iron Man remake announcement those guys are on their knee's praying that spiderman or Tron (or whatever) isn't next.
    LOL. I got me a little schadenfreude going also.
    Kim

I hear ya. There's going to be plenty of pain for everyone! Lol. But unless you needed all that pinball $ to pay for college or retirement, we'll all be better off with lower prices. Heck, I just want to trade in and out of my 6 games at this point...and if/when to buy NIB will be a judicious decision.

Between AV and IM the value of my collection is definitely going in the opposite direction! But I cashed in on LOTR and SM big time, so it's a wash.

The guys starting threads complaining bring it on themselves. I'm sure there are many people suffering in private, and those people might deserve a little sympathy.

#256 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

And yes ! yes! yes!

#257 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

The guys starting threads complaining bring it on themselves.

Really Dude...Really ?

#258 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Sorry, but I would most definitely not have the amount of money in my collection that I do if I thought that I couldn't get any of that money back.
    Would I still have pinball machines even if I could never get a dime back? Yes! But it would be a very different collection.
    You keep talking about pinball as not being an "investment" and I completely agree, and I bet at least 90% of people here agree with that as well. But there is a difference between looking at pinball as an investment vs buying a pin to play and enjoy and hope that you won't take a huge loss on when it comes time to sell.
    People that look at pinball as an investment expect to make money when they sell. Most of us buy knowing that we are going to lose money when it comes time to sell, but we try to buy smart and not overpay so the loss is as small as possible.
    Looking through my extensive collection history, there are only 3 pins that I've sold where I actually made money. The rest of them I lost money to varying degrees, including that Shadow that is currently in your collection.

I agree with this completely! I agree with the rest of Ben's post, but using the word "investment" was wrong precisely because of what you say here. Investment means you are looking to make money from buying a pin.

I agree with you. I didn't buy a crappy house in a crappy neighborhood, I didn't buy a Suzuki Samurai, etc. because I'd like I'd like to retain some value when I sell....same with pins...but surely you'll acknowledge the euphoria of the past few years, with some people buying only to play for a few weeks and then unload with little fear of loss and hoping to hit it big. That was a nice ride while it lasted but NEVER sustainable.

Quoted from stretch2:

Wow, that harsh.....

Hardly. That statement conveyed respect for anyone with the means and decisiveness to buy a very expensive toy in a hobby who's heyday was 30 years ago. And maybe a little scold to anyone playing beyond their means or that thought they were so clever that they were impervious to market fluctuations. But harsh? Nah.

#259 9 years ago
    Quoted from stretch2:

Really Dude...Really ?

150 thumbs down speaks for itself. But don't flatter yourself....I was thinking more of the people starting "farewell to the hobby" threads when MMr was announced. I considered this thread a good opportunity for give and take banter....which you've said is precisely why you started it. Unless you were lying....and this thread was really just all about you the whole time.

#260 9 years ago
    Quoted from stretch2:

TheFamilyArcade said:Anyone spending thousands of bucks on a pinball machine deserves what's coming to them...for better or worse.

Hey Dude, next time try not to quote me out of context on someone else's post rather than your own.
    It's a lot more honest that way.

#261 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Dude, pinball is not a zero sum game. Think bigger. I know it might be new, but you might just like it.

#262 9 years ago
    Quoted from stretch2:

Hey Dude, next time try not to quote me out of context on someone else's post rather than your own.
    It's a lot more honest that way.

Dude, I know what I said. And it's not harsh, unless your a whiny little -----. Then maybe it would be. But I think were all grown ups here. I post to big boys...so find your big boy pants and lighten up.

#263 9 years ago

150 thumbs down speaks for itself. But don't flatter yourself....I was thinking more of the people starting "farewell to the hobby" threads when MMr was announced. I considered this thread a good opportunity for give and take banter....which you've said is precisely why you started it. Unless you were lying....and this thread was really just all about you the whole time.

And by the way,the thread was started for exactly the reason that I stated.
    You do not know me, and to make such a false and blatantly erroneous statement accusing me of such reflects more on your character than mine.

#264 9 years ago
    Quoted from stretch2:

You do not know me, and to make such a false and blatantly erroneous statement accusing me of such reflects more on your character than mine.

Omg, the "you don't know me" card. Any more cliches to unload? Just sell your IM while you can still get a few hundred bucks for it and go away for awhile. You need a break (yes, I told you what you need even though I dont even know you).

#265 9 years ago

I hear ya. There's going to be plenty of pain for everyone!

Pain? I think this hobby is fun.

#268 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Pain? I think this hobby is fun.

ACDC has been giving me pain all afternoon. Game is a bitch sometimes! I hope they don't remake it or I'll lose even more $ and have even more reason to be pissed at it.

#269 9 years ago

ACDC has been giving me pain all afternoon. Game is a bitch sometimes! I hope they don't remake it or I'll lose even more $ and have even more reason to be pissed at it.

Agreed that AC/DC can be a pain in that way

But, given what you said about the pinball hobby not being a zero sum game (someone wins/someone loses) then it's hard take serious your claim about "losing money" in it. When you drop coins into machines on location, by definition, you're losing money. I tend to look at my machines the same way.

#270 9 years ago

I agree with you. I didn't buy a crappy house in a crappy neighborhood, I didn't buy a Suzuki Samurai, etc. because I'd like I'd like to retain some value when I sell....same with pins...but surely you'll acknowledge the euphoria of the past few years, with some people buying only to play for a few weeks and then unload with little fear of loss and hoping to hit it big. That was a nice ride while it lasted but NEVER sustainable.

Absolutely agree 100%.

Definitely not sustainable. A correction was coming. Actually, I should say a correction *is* coming, because we've only seen the beginning of it in my opinion. Prices will continue to go down as more pins are released. It will be very interesting to see where we are at in about another year.

#271 9 years ago
    Quoted from stretch2:

you might want to think about taking a day or two off pinside, catch your breath and relax a little.
    your feathers have been ruffled for three days now since you posted your IM for sale.

and no...I don't know you...but you have shown enough of yourself for strangers to form a pretty solid opinion.

#272 9 years ago

Closed per OP request thread has gone it's course. I'm sure you can find another place to fill the drama cut out by the closing of this thread.

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-not-an-exciting-time-for-pinball/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.