(Topic ID: 49400)

This is not a "rebirth" of pinball... its a bubble.

By lowepg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1020.jpg
    202_booble-gum.gif
    imagesCAXX2T9R.jpg
    Pinball-Stripper.jpg
    040313-pm-img-01.jpg
    RedPillBluePill-crop.jpg
    image.jpg
    Back-to-the-Future-back-to-the-future-.jpg
    bubble2.jpg
    bubble3.jpg
    bubblegum1.jpg
    There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 10 years ago
    Quoted from paulohotline:

The French will save pinball!

Well it's about time they saved something.

#102 10 years ago

I speak French

Onion = On yawn

#103 10 years ago

i'm 35. i've always loved both video games and pinball. now that i'm old enough to fill my basement with whatever i care to covet, i find the pinball machines hold a certain fascination that the video games lack. i mean i still love video games. it's just, there's probably a dozen different devices in my house capable of playing good video games. pinball, though, that's different.

so in some respects, i suppose my situation is indicative of the "bubble" argument. i'm sure people like me are contributing to the rise in prices. but i think there's a lot more going on in this hobby than simply a certain generation reaching a certain age. there really does seem to be a surge of interest in the hobby, not just fueled by speculation or nostalgia, and not just amongst people my age. right in my own community, there's an active pinball league (and these guys look like they're mostly in their 20s) and various pinball organizations seem to be thriving. I went to the Fairfax Pinball Open and saw tons of people younger than me. at the FPO, i saw a hobby on the rise with young people.

here's my theory: once upon a time, video games were on the cutting edge of technology. they stood out as a high tech object in the world. but in this age of digital technology, we all stare at computer screens all day long. heck, most of us own phones that provide a better gaming experience than a typical arcade. video game cabinets just don't stand out. they don't offer anything a person couldn't experience by pulling their phone out of their pocket.

but pinball is different. the physicality of controlling that steel ball truly sets it apart as a unique experience, moreso now than ever before. the drop targets, ramps, rails, toys, plungers -- all of it combines to create a physical complexity that becomes more of a spectacle every day as this world goes more and more virtual.

i think there's a chance that kids today, for whom video gaming is by far the dominant form of recreation, will find controlling a real physical object a cool and compelling challenge. not all of them, of course. i'm not saying pinball will be the next huge craze or anything. but i think it can carve out a sustainable niche that is fueled by more than middle aged nostalgic dudes.

i don't think we'll ever see pinball machines casually placed in bars and restaurants again. there are good reasons those kinds of locations don't work and will continue to not work. but dedicated arcades and barcades are popping up and succeeding. this is a development that shouldn't be overlooked.

#104 10 years ago

Most if not all video games can get emulated and thrown up on a very thin screen. They take little to no space these days. The tactile nature of pinball is appealing. It's real. A giant mechanical and computerized game. It's also very hard to only have one. I have not found the one machine that could stand alone and fulfill all the things that are great about pinball. 80% of Sterns business is the home market. When people see a pinball machine at someone's house, they immediately want one. For sustainability, there needs to be competition, innovation, and new customers. People will buy great products.

#105 10 years ago

I am trying to get an investment consortium here in Winnipeg to back my idea for a Pinball\Gentlemen's club scenario. I want to call it, "Titties and Pins™" I think this concept will cause a Pinball explosion here in Canada Especially with the wifey

What do you guys think?

Pinball-Stripper.jpgPinball-Stripper.jpg

#106 10 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I thought pinball was dead in 1982, when the vids had run most of the pins out of the arcades.

Those vids helped pinball. Lots of new arcades opened up, and provided more places to play pinball.

And you couldn't always get the latest and greatest vid, so pinball was a cheap filler for space.

LTG : )

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

That's no moon, it's a Space Station
    It's too big to be a Space Station

imagesCAXX2T9R.jpgimagesCAXX2T9R.jpg

#108 10 years ago

We operate pins, and the younger generation is defiantly curious and still willing to drop .75 for a go. As long as I see that there will always be hope!

#109 10 years ago

I predict Stern and JJP in their current form will be gone within 10 years. Small boutique pin makers (skitb, spooky, jpop,etc) will take their place making very small runs for the collector maket.

#110 10 years ago

HEP restored "A-Listers" or 401K?

I know which one would be more fun.

#111 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I speak French
    Onion = On yawn

That's cajun, not French!

#112 10 years ago

Things aren't really bubbles in that they never really pop and disappear. More like cycles of high and lows I don't think pinball will completely die. What also happens to often is we draw a wall around what we know we think we know. What the original poster may be forgetting to consider are the markets outside of the US/Western culture. All those millions of Chines and Indian consumers who will have more and more disposable income as their cultures develop. So while you may have seen the end of the Arcade in our society, it does not mean it won't take off somewhere else. When it comes to consumer goods, you can never say never. 7 years ago RIM was the king of mobility. There were no Tablet PC's. Laptops were king. Consumer turns all that on its ear pretty quick. Facebook........ what happened to myspace? Things come and go, everything old is new again - Neon colors are back on runners and clothing and so are bell bottoms. Who knows what the future will hold but I personally don't think the death of pinball will come when those of us that are currently collecting get too old to continue on. There will still be a market somewhere.

#113 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i think there's a chance that kids today, for whom video gaming is by far the dominant form of recreation, will find controlling a real physical object a cool and compelling challenge.

Interesting point. Kids today are wicked smart with pretty limited attention spans......because they are that smart. They're onto the next thing before you know it. Pinball has an analogue variable no current programmed game can replicate. But that's always been the beauty of pinball to me. You can walk up and have a kick ass game and the very next one you can get your ass kicked due to those infinite variables involved in a pinball machine. Practice any electronic game long enough and you'll master it. Pinball I don't think is like that.

#114 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I think we are simply at the crossroads of the prime pinhead generation hitting middle-age and having the disposable income to relive their youth a bit.

I think this is it more than anything. Our generation is also targeted heavily in movies, tv, and general consumer products more than any other age group. Just look at all the re-makes of television shows and movies that are from our youth. Even shows like Family Guy rely on 80's and 90's nostalgia to drive up ratings.

As we get older and the next generation (that didn't grow up in arcades) becomes the prime consumer demographic, pinball as a hobby will start to fade and collectors will downsize, hit our mid-life crisis', and eventually move into nursing homes. Driving long distances and hauling around 300lb. pins isn't as easy to do when you get older. I still think we have another 5-10 good years before we see a decline, but it is bound to happen eventually. You also have to look at the availability of parts and parts vendors in the future. Places like Pinball Resource, PinballLife, Bay Area, etc. won't be around forever as the owner's get closer to retirement age. We need to hope that parts will continue to be produced otherwise we will all be stuck with a bunch of broken machines and sky high parts costs.

#115 10 years ago
    Quoted from alichino:

And the hey day of pins was really the 70s and even 80s (despite Pac-Man and arcade machines taking off). If it was the case that it's people trying to recreate their youth, EMs and System 11s would be commanding the high prices, not, say, MM or MB, which most of us younger people never played until 10 years after they were released (not to mention newer Sterns)

i would opine that the heyday of pins was the 60's and early 70's... you had several established mainstream manufacturers cranking out new machines on a monthly (sometimes more often) basis, and pinball machines were EVERYWHERE... gas stations, drug stores, you name it, there was a pin there...

#116 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i'm 35. i've always loved both video games and pinball. now that i'm old enough to fill my basement with whatever i care to covet, i find the pinball machines hold a certain fascination that the video games lack. i mean i still love video games. it's just, there's probably a dozen different devices in my house capable of playing good video games. pinball, though, that's different.
    so in some respects, i suppose my situation is indicative of the "bubble" argument. i'm sure people like me are contributing to the rise in prices. but i think there's a lot more going on in this hobby than simply a certain generation reaching a certain age. there really does seem to be a surge of interest in the hobby, not just fueled by speculation or nostalgia, and not just amongst people my age. right in my own community, there's an active pinball league (and these guys look like they're mostly in their 20s) and various pinball organizations seem to be thriving. I went to the Fairfax Pinball Open and saw tons of people younger than me. at the FPO, i saw a hobby on the rise with young people.
    here's my theory: once upon a time, video games were on the cutting edge of technology. they stood out as a high tech object in the world. but in this age of digital technology, we all stare at computer screens all day long. heck, most of us own phones that provide a better gaming experience than a typical arcade. video game cabinets just don't stand out. they don't offer anything a person couldn't experience by pulling their phone out of their pocket.
    but pinball is different. the physicality of controlling that steel ball truly sets it apart as a unique experience, moreso now than ever before. the drop targets, ramps, rails, toys, plungers -- all of it combines to create a physical complexity that becomes more of a spectacle every day as this world goes more and more virtual.
    i think there's a chance that kids today, for whom video gaming is by far the dominant form of recreation, will find controlling a real physical object a cool and compelling challenge. not all of them, of course. i'm not saying pinball will be the next huge craze or anything. but i think it can carve out a sustainable niche that is fueled by more than middle aged nostalgic dudes.
    i don't think we'll ever see pinball machines casually placed in bars and restaurants again. there are good reasons those kinds of locations don't work and will continue to not work. but dedicated arcades and barcades are popping up and succeeding. this is a development that shouldn't be overlooked.

Ditto! I couldn't have said it better myself!

#117 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I keep seeing people talking about this "rebirth of pinball." Or the "new age" of pinball...
    Sorry.... I don't buy it.
    I think we are simply at the crossroads of the prime pinhead generation hitting middle-age and having the disposable income to relive their youth a bit.

How long have you been in the hobby? 'The prime pinhead generation'??

Pinball had been suffering for decades where the 'prime generation' actually was dying off because the market was dominated by older people. You know.. the people that played pin before the video explosion. The market was dominated by the older generation through the 90s and into the 2000s. The ones that are in their 40s now were the vanguard 'young ones' during that period.. the few surrounded by people already in the 40s-60s.

Now, that vanguard is much of the core of the market as they aged and now are in their 40s-60s.

What has changed now, that didn't happen back then, or in recent memory is two fold
    1) a strong surge in interest from younger (20s to low 30s) hobbists.... in far greater numbers than last time
    2) a huge influx of NEW people in their 30s-40s into the hobby with disposable income

The hobby base has blown up with both new faces AND new money.

But this new influx of participants are not sticking to the old mantra of how the old guard viewed and appreciated in the hobby. Most hobbists were the guys who fixed games themselves and relied almost exclusively on the second hand market. NIB was unheard of for 95% of the market.. no one would consider paying that much for pins that hadn't been vetted.

But now the new money coming into the market sees NIB as the way to 'get started..' and the price points are accepted. That inrush of money at the top has set new expectations of what a pin can be worth... the core DMD W/B market flushed with value as new money chases what was already a limited commodity. The 'tolerance' for price points was completely reset with all these new people and new money flooding the hobby.

This new breed of hobbists also significantlly changed the common tastes and what is held dear... this has caused the mod market to blow up.

Both the flocking to NIB and mods show that the customer base has shifted.. and if you are at shows or competitions you can see the new blood.

Is it a bubble? It's certainly a surge... but I don't know if it will pop. One could argue it took 10-15+ years of the old W/B market truly being out of production for the traditional operator->hobbist market funnel to fully dry up. With that old funnel of machines gone.. the new blood are flocking enmass to new sterns and new manufacturers.

Where the pop will be is if the new blood fizzles quickly. But pinball is certainly making a niche comeback along with others in formats like the barcade, etc. But it hasn't blown out mainstream yet and I doubt it will. It will still be something on the side... and there are plenty of these niche experiences that have failed too.

I appreciate that this new surge has kept pinball factories and parts suppliers up and going. I don't like how the expectation of prices and conditions has been changing... but maybe eventually that will create a second market tier of stuff that isn't 'good enough' for the new money and us classic hobbyists will thrive on affordability there

#118 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I like this "barcade" idea.
    Id like to the "stripcade" model take off as well (literally AND figuratively).

Wait, this actually exists? Where?

#119 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

How long have you been in the hobby? 'The prime pinhead generation'??

I'm considering the pinnacle of pinball to be 1992/1993. Why? lots of reasons, but one being that there were 8 machines that were produced in quantities of over 10,000 units in that short period... and one, over 20,000.

it was also the LAST year a machine was made in excess of 5 figures...

Yes, maybe the pinnacle of the DMD generation of pins, but those were my favorites...

1978-1980 was probably the prior, call it pre-DMD pinnacle...

#120 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I'm considering the pinnacle of pinball to be 1992/1993. Why? lots of reasons, but one being that there were 8 machines that were produced in quantities of over 10,000 units in that short period... and one, over 20,000.
    it was also the LAST year a machine was made in excess of 5 figures...
    Yes, maybe the pinnacle of the DMD generation of pins, but those were my favorites...
    1978-1980 was probably the prior, call it pre-DMD pinnacle...

That was the 'last' peak - but you're looking at titles produced instead of 'titles on location'. And that peak of DMD games in 92-93 the players were predominantly an older crowd.. its not like kids who were 8-9 were sucked up into the DMD peak. Even if you were in college in 92, that puts you at 39 now.. which doesn't speak to the surge in players appearing now in their 20s. While 92-93 era was a peak, it crashed quite hard quite quickly afterwards in terms of production.

We are all amazed by TZ and TAF production numbers... but while they are huge.. and dwarf today's numbers... they aren't *that* massive compared to many SS titles. Space Shuttle.. Cyclone.. High Speed.. Pinbot..Flash Gordon.. and many others that many DMD-and-later hobbists don't necessarily connect with as 'popular' were pumping out 7-15k titles too. That's in addition to all the existing titles that were still on the street and the multiple manufacturers at the time. Pinball was in far more places back then.

Tieing that back.. you have all the people that were new to pinball in that time of the mid to late eighties.. in addition to all the people that pinball 'was' the arcade before the video boom.

While the 90s were the heyday of some peak production - they weren't really the heyday of pinball's relevance and penetration into everyday life.

#121 10 years ago

I think a good metric of pinball growth can be seen in the IFPA/WPPR player database numbers, particularly with the rate of new younger players and women. Competitive play is the best chance for pinball to break back into the mainstream IMO. I love what PAPA TV is planning to do, and hope for the day that tournaments are shown on ESPN2 or another high-profile outlet.

#122 10 years ago

Newbie here. I'm in my early 30's and grew up playing pinball.

I frankly love playing and my kids love it as well.

You cannot digitally replicate a pinball machine. Virtual pinball for example is a cool concept to wet one's whistle but it cannot hold a candle to the real deal.

Pinball will not die because the fundamental game cannot be replicated in digital format.

The risk I do see however is the lack of exposure of pinball to the younger generations. If you polled the kids at my son's elementary school as to how many have played a pinball machine, I bet the numbers would be extremely low.

I do not believe it is that kids and teens don't want to play pinball. The problem is that they cannot easily find them to play.

You just do not see them regularly in the wild like you used to. I can remember tons of restaurants having them as kids. I would eat my food as fast as I could just so I could leave my folks and go play some pinball.

Pinball, like any hobby, is dependent on new and younger players. However, if they do not have access to machines, you will see a steady decline and then a complete collapse.

Now excuse me while I get back to my ham radio and pogs...........just kidding.

#123 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Seattle pinball museum just got a Woz and that sounds like a road trip ASAP.

Thanks for the heads up. Heading up there tomorrow to play.

#124 10 years ago

@fgop...

you can't truly digitally replicate football either (for example), yet FAR more kids play madden than the real thing, and the real thing is readily available to them...

yes, some kids will play pinball given the opportunity... heck, some of them will play bocce given the opportunity... but the reality is, the "younger generation" really isn't inclined to appreciate something physical/"analog" when they can do it without effort/"digitally"... heck, that even extends to "digital vs. digital"... my nephews would rather play those handheld nintendo things than a ps3, and those suck (imo) compared to a console game...

it's a "smaller/faster/easier" world today... no real opinion on whether that is good, bad or indifferent, but it is the way it is...

heck, 99% of the population thinks driving a car with a stick shift is too hard... it'll be a sisyphean task to try to get people to entertain themselves by spending more effort instead of less...

now get off my lawn...

#125 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

and the real thing is readily available to them...

I wish that was the case up here in the plains. I can see the coasts and the bigger metros (Minneapolis) for example have machines more readily available in public, but they are sadly just not easy to find up here outside of private collections.

Our metro has a population of roughly 216,000 and the only machine I have seen in a while was an Attack From Mars at Old Chicago that was in need of some serious repair. In our metro there are only 3 machines in the public. One in a laundromat, one in a bar (recently had a stabbing out front), and the one at Old Chicago.

In general, my belief is that up to the mid 90's, pinball was everywhere from small towns to big cities and anyone could easily find one to try. My two quarters.

#126 10 years ago

@fgop... when i said "the real thing is readily available", it was in reference to football (the "madden" analogy), not pins...

no argument from me on the rest... "location pinball", for all the discussion about it coming back, is all but dead almost everywhere, and "back in the day", there were pins everywhere... i played the great majority of pinball in my yute at gas stations and corner stores... that ain't happening anymore, sadly...

#127 10 years ago

Rebirth or bubble -call it what you want.
    I can play pinball in my own house without pants on and not worry about being arrested again!

#128 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I keep seeing people talking about this "rebirth of pinball." Or the "new age" of pinball...
    Sorry.... I don't buy it.

You're right - and I've said the same (but not with the doom and gloom).

Basically, yes, if pinball doesn't evolve, then as the boomers and gen-x/y-ers go away, so shall pin prices go the way of EM gun and puck games.

On the other hand, right now, it appears Gen-x/y is just hitting its stride. So if you're looking for prices to plummet in the near future, I would not wait for it.

#129 10 years ago

It won't be a rebirth until pinballs start appearing in 7-11s, liquor stores, etc....all the places they were when I was a kid. Pins in the wild here are still a rare commodity, unlike in 92-95.

#130 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

It won't be a rebirth until pinballs start appearing in 7-11s, liquor stores, etc....all the places they were when I was a kid. Pins in the wild here are still a rare commodity, unlike in 92-95.

No, this will never happen again. But specialty arcades and bar-cades have a chance to thrive.

#131 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

No, this will never happen again. But specialty arcades and bar-cades have a chance to thrive.

Perhaps,but until they become common across the United States, this is NOT a rebirth, plain and simple.

#132 10 years ago

Everything happens in cycles. I guess we're between denial and acceptance in this cycle. It gets uglier!

#133 10 years ago

Of course we will !

Wait? What are you expecting from us exactly?

#134 10 years ago

This is "not" a short post about pinball...it's a long winded one.

#135 10 years ago

People who believe that pinball is an investment, only worry about things like this.

#136 10 years ago

Yeah yeah, everything is a "bubble". You hear financial experts say "I said years ago that the real estate boom would end". Ok better explanations would be when and how will it end.
    There will be a day when you can't flip your NIB pin and make a couple of grand quickly, but there will always be alot of people who dig a High Speed 2 Getaway for 1600 bucks. Even the 20 somethings will add this to their gamerooms as a cool feature someday soon and yes their friends will say "wow let me play that".
    There are too many awswome pins in the 1000-2000 range for a big crash bubble- will my high speed 2 only be worth 800 bucks some day? Doubt it. Hence no big bubble.

#137 10 years ago

Its a rebirth of a bubble

#138 10 years ago

You're right on the money pezpunk. Not only have home consoles/smartphones and tablets surpassed the arcade experience many years ago, but the video game market today has grown so large that it has become quite saturated. Where can you play a video game? On your PC, at home on a console, on your smart TV, on your Apple TV, on your Roku, on your third party streaming box, on your ipod, phone, tablet, etc. Video games have become too much of a part of our modern digital lives. And what's worse, the mobile games are only designed to be addictive, repetitive time wasters. Angry Birds, Temple Run, Candy Crush... there's no real depth to them beyond flinging birds, collecting coins, and matching patterns.

And even with that, full-blown PC and console games have also become too numerous and have been suffering in quality for years. Today's video games are buggy, watered down versions of what they used to be. Developers now charge for "downloadable content" that should have been included the base game as a complete package. Developers are greedy and driving away real talent. In the 90s, a new console game was a big deal and you were almost guaranteed a great experience. Now, you're lucky if you get something that isn't a violent M-rated shooter and actually get your money's worth.

#139 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

There are too many awswome pins in the 1000-2000 range for a big crash bubble- will my High Speed 2 only be worth 800 bucks some day? Doubt it. Hence no big bubble.

I think I agree with you.

I think the most obvious risk of "bubble burst" are on some of the games that are running up to $10K+.... or HEP-enhanced showroom models that approach the cost of a modestly equipped new car...

#140 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

And unfortunately that's not going to happen with the cost of pins now .... so it's kind of like a Catch 22.

#141 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

You're right on the money pezpunk. Not only have home consoles/smartphones and tablets surpassed the arcade experience many years ago, but the video game market today has grown so large that it has become quite saturated.

And even with that, full-blown PC and console games have also become too numerous and have been suffering in quality for years.

PC/console games have not just been suffering in quality, their sales have been in steep decline for 6 straight years...

Game players are more likely to drop $0.99 for a new (mostly crappy) game on their iphone/IPad than go to the store and drop $50 or $60 on a full blown game.

Or find some crappy flash-based games online they can play fro free (while being blasted by ads) rather than spending money to install standalone games.

Again, this is why i think its a bit silly to think this generation (thats moving from $50 games to $0.99 games) is going to completely reverse course and start enjoying pinball?

They stopped buying console hardware- you think they might all the suddenly drop $7K on hardware that plays ONE game?
    Or, start pumping quarters (er, dollar bills) into pinball machines in arcades where one play costs more than their typical entire downloaded game purchase? No.

Oh, wait, kid you want to play pinball? Sheesh, don't leave the couch, just download it onto your ipad.... THAT might be the only real rebirth of pinball on the horizon- a virtual one.

#142 10 years ago
    Quoted from BillPinball:

You cannot digitally replicate a pinball machine. Virtual pinball for example is a cool concept to wet one's whistle but it cannot hold a candle to the real deal.

This belief is probably only held by us, pinball players, which is a niche market.
    Someone sitting at home playing it on Microsoft Surface, who doesn't play them in real life, doesn't know the difference or care.

#143 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

In the 90s, a new console game was a big deal and you were almost guaranteed a great experience.
    » YouTube video

I disagree, I have plenty of Snes and Genesis and Saturn and Ps1 games that are just awful and were awful when they came out.

#144 10 years ago

Hence the word "almost."

#145 10 years ago
    Quoted from BillPinball:

I do not believe it is that kids and teens don't want to play pinball. The problem is that they cannot easily find them to play.

I dont agree.

We have precious few arcades here in Raleigh, but we have one. There are 4 newish models lined up
    IronMan
    Tron LE
    Shrek

I have NEVER, NEVER seen more than 1 machine in use at a time and NEVER has it been a kid.

By the way, at the same time, kids will be lined-up, 3-deep waiting to pump money into a redemption machine (within view of these lonely pins).

So, its much more than availability.... its attention span, interest-level, etc, etc. Kids have unlimited availability to read a book too, and yet they watch more tv?!?!?! Solution; more book availability?

BTW, children of pinsiders (with machines in their homes) its not a very good sample of the population.... so lets not get too excited about our own kids playing pinball...

#146 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I dont agree.

3-deep waiting to pump money into a redemption machine (within view of these lonely pins).

Yeah the times I go to the local arcade I don't see kids playing. Although when I worked in an arcade in the 90s I don't really remember them playing all too much. Also, these games are pretty brutal these days. Get a young kid to play tron for $1 a game and it's over in under 4 minutes.

Redemption rules these days.

#147 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

BTW, children of pinsiders (with machines in their homes) its not a very good sample of the population.... so lets not get too excited about our own kids playing pinball...

It's the only sample we need to keep this hobby alive.....and possibly even growing.

I'm sure if you add up all the kids and future kids of current hobbyists it would add up to more people than are currently buying pins.

We are not talking about pins becoming the mainstay they once where in the 70's....we are simply talking about keeping this current trend of (very small) growth going forward.

Our kids, and possibly the growing popularity of virtual pinball is probably all that we need.

#148 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah the times I go to the local arcade I don't see kids playing. Although when I worked in an arcade in the 90s I don't really remember them playing all too much. Also, these games are pretty brutal these days. Get a young kid to play tron for $1 a game and it's over in under 4 minutes.
    Redemption rules these days.

And there it is! That same dollar will go into a redemption machine and last a LOT less than the 4 minutes it would last in a pin. Redemption gives something a kid can understand, tickets. And they think with a speck of "skill" on a redemption game they can get a huge amount of tickets. It isn't the time, it is feeling like a winner that makes kids stuff money into machines. If you have a kids pin competition even the kids will know only one kid won. But with redemption they will all feel like they won as the claim their plastic zippy straw that they "earned" at the counter.

#149 10 years ago

Make it happen. If we as the pin community really support pins on location it can grow. Talk up pinball everywhere you go. Do you frequent a local bar, restaurant, mini mart? Talk to them about getting a pin. Talk to local ops. Talk to locations with pins. Get other pinheads in your area to go out and play location pinball. If you want something,make it happen.

#150 10 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

as the claim their plastic zippy straw that they "earned" at the counter.

For $20

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-not-a-rebirth-of-pinball-its-a-bubble/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.