(Topic ID: 131946)

This is not a joke. Scared Stiff is too hard!

By mamawaldee

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

No pun intended.

I obtained a pretty nice SS about a month ago, was very happy to finally get one. The thing is a drain monster. I have been trying to adjust it, but it's so bad the wife is complaining and finally made a comment for me to get rid of it already. The machine is level and I have tried two inclinations thus far. The inclination is set at center bubble right now, outlanes fully closed, preset installed very easy, and 5 balls. Wife not happy, and I can no longer disagree with her. Half of the autoplunger balls go SDTM. Three ball multiball is usually done in less than 10 seconds. Launch the ball at various strengths and SDTM. Slingshots send it straight to the outlanes, all net, no chance even for a nudge. With 10 balls, the best score is about 8 million and stiffometer level-4.

We are not pro players, but not terrible either. We own five other pins, and the others are all factory settings and center outlane adjustment, with various inclinations, and none drain like this one does. It's not the game difficulty, but very short ball times. We are lucky to have tons of on-location games to play nearby and get lots of practice with many titles.

SS is generally considered an easy game where people get tired of the long ball times. Our SS just drains excessively and gives you no chance. I had played two other examples prior to buying this one, and don't recall those examples being so greedy with the outlanes and SDTM. Unfortunately since I obtained ours, those two location games are no longer available to reference. I have scoured the net to no avail, however the tech at the local arcade concurred that SS isn't easy and is prone to drain.

I got this machine as a restore candidate, and to keep. I won't give in to the wife regardless, but would like to make the game more fun. So to the SS owners and anybody else with an unfair game, what did you do to tame it?

Regards,
Scott

#2 8 years ago

Center drains from the crate kicker are not uncommon. Fortunately it is way up the play field so you should have time nudge and save the ball. What you are describing is not normal though. Does your plunger have an issue? A hard plunge should give a solid hit on the crate. You could also have an issue with the crate kick out. It should kick the ball out firmly so that it hits the left most pop and bounces around in the area a little bit. This can create center drains but you should have time to attempt a good save. If it's just dribbling out and down the center the coil likely needs to be replaced on the crate kick out.

I have my slings set extremely sensitive and still seldom get drains. Setting them sensitive gives me a lot of action on the boogymen mod. Mine is also set at a really high pitch (over 8.5) so that it plays really fast. Overall I think it's a harder game then people give it credit for but a decent player should be able to beat the stiff o meter fairly regularly. Even with my sling and pitch I probably beat it every 10-15 plays and have beating multiple times in one game before.

#3 8 years ago

lightning flippers perhaps?

#4 8 years ago

Yea, I'm not much of a nudger, but this game is frustrating me enough to acquire that skill. My wife is the better player and she shakes the crap out of our games. She always looks like she needs to pee while playing pinball, and tilts alot on location.

Could have weak coils in those areas. When the ball save kicks in they bounce off the crate and usually go SDTM. It does it consistently during play. I'll run some formal tests on it when I get a chance, perhaps tonight. Flippers seem strong, you can see the ramps bending a little from the force. I should have mentioned that everything is working mechanically and no credit dot.

I have not ever needed to adjust slings, so please forgive this question, higher sensitivity = less drains? Or more? Has anyone ever purposely set a machine off-level to avoid SDTM?

Also, closing up the outlanes had no effect on drains. I know that makes no sense.

#5 8 years ago

A few things to try...
- different rubber in key areas - rubber type/color and possibly thickness
- adjust various posts - a little shift to the left/right can make a big difference
- left / right leveling
- make sure you have normal size flippers - like leaffan67 mentioned

If you could post close up pictures of the playfield, we may be able to identify better.

Good Luck!

#6 8 years ago

VERY strange. I've had 3 Scared Stiffs and never had this problem. (and I'm a crappy player!) There is certainly something wrong...

#7 8 years ago

Use an app, and level your machine. First front to back (at 6.5 degrees, or steeper). Then side to side.

It sounds like you haven't leveled it side to side. And for front to back, never trust the bubble. I don't think I've ever set set up a machine with a centered bubble...it's way too flat...which might cause too much side to side action, which could be the cause of your sling issues.

Don't bother doing anything else till it's level in both directions (and steep enough). Then report back.

#8 8 years ago

Many good suggestions guys, thanks.

I had to look up lightning flippers. Does anybody know if the bony flippers were produced in the smaller size?
It has the bony flippers on it. As for inclination, the way I initially set her up was back levelers all the way out, front ones all the way in, then level right/left. We like 'em to play fast. I made it flatter to see if it would help, but no measurable effect.

I'll take some pics soon.

#9 8 years ago

I've never seen small Bony flippers. Doubt that's your issue.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from mamawaldee:

Yea, I'm not much of a nudger, but this game is frustrating me enough to acquire that skill. My wife is the better player and she shakes the crap out of our games. She always looks like she needs to pee while playing pinball, and tilts alot on location.
Could have weak coils in those areas. When the ball save kicks in they bounce off the crate and usually go SDTM. It does it consistently during play. I'll run some formal tests on it when I get a chance, perhaps tonight. Flippers seem strong, you can see the ramps bending a little from the force. I should have mentioned that everything is working mechanically and no credit dot.
I have not ever needed to adjust slings, so please forgive this question, higher sensitivity = less drains? Or more? Has anyone ever purposely set a machine off-level to avoid SDTM?
Also, closing up the outlanes had no effect on drains. I know that makes no sense.

Sounds like the auto plunge is definitely a little weak or could be slightly misaligned and not getting enough power on the plunge. Mine hits the crate hard enough to bounce around a little and often hits or enters the pops. If you could post a video it would be helpful.

#11 8 years ago

Man that does sound really weird. Did you try swapping a new sleeve in the plunger coil? At least see how dirty it is.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Sounds like the auto plunge is definitely a little weak or could be slightly misaligned and not getting enough power on the plunge. Mine hits the crate hard enough to bounce around a little and often hits or enters the pops. If you could post a video it would be helpful.

wow that sounds like the best play on the plunge get the crate and spin the spider most players just try for the spider / valid playfield on plunge

#13 8 years ago

I got rid of mine because it was too easy and got boring.

#14 8 years ago

I took some pics but they came out crappy. Anyway, so far I discovered the rubber across from the crate kickout has zero tension. It's about ready to fall off the posts. Perhaps it grabs the ball and lets it go SDTM. I'm sure I'll find more, but a leaky toilet has stopped all progress. At least with the machine down the wife can't play it...or complain about it.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Very helpful. This will surely solve OP's problems.

#16 8 years ago

I agree on posting some photos-at least at the outlanes. With the adjustable posts all the way in, the game should be very forgiving on outlane drains. Maybe the adjustable posts are the wrong type or maybe the posts above the inlane dividers are missing, or maybe rubber is missing-just brainstorming.

As far as SDTM, use a small torpedo level for side to side and inclinometer for pitch. If the bubble is "in the middle", that seems very steep, since the recommended setting is to have the nose of the bubble between the first and second lines (closest to player) on a TRU PITCH level.

Good luck!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Same here. Game is beautiful, sound is awesome, way too easy. Used to get Scared Stiff multiple times every game. Once I got the spidey multi a few times it was time for something else. I do miss hearing that music.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

Same here. Game is beautiful, sound is awesome, way too easy. Used to get Scared Stiff multiple times every game. Once I got the spidey multi a few times it was time for something else. I do miss hearing that music.

I tried to set up mine as difficult as possible. Pitch, outlanes, wax, etc. I also got to SS too much. Maybe the Ops machine has pf where the ball really zings across it, although I thought mine was in pretty good condition.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Yep. SS was the quickest swap out in my collection.

#20 8 years ago

Does the kick from the crate hit the leftmost pop and then rattle around? This is the typical behaviour in my experience. Similarly, the autoplunger should launch hard enough to rattle around up top before coming to the lower PF.

Both of those things make the return from the top of the game very inconsistent, which means it shouldn't do <i>anything</i> consistently, including going STDM.

Also, if you're getting bad returns from the frogs (leapers), have a look at them. They're almost like captive balls in how much momentum they take out of the ball, so you shouldn't get really hard returns.

Lastly, if you're getting a lot of sling-drains into the outlane, I'd have a look at the rubber and coil on the slingshots. Sorta half-lame slingshots can be very dangerous on SS, while really zippy ones tend to be not-bad.

#21 8 years ago

There was a SS at One Eyed Betty's in Ferndale last time I was there about 3 months ago. Perhaps it is still there (still listed as there on the pinmap and it was last updatd 6-8-15). I cannot comment on how it was setup but I am a medicore player and I was getting very long ball times.

#22 8 years ago

One eyed Betty's LOL

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from mamawaldee:

I took some pics but they came out crappy. Anyway, so far I discovered the rubber across from the crate kickout has zero tension. It's about ready to fall off the posts. Perhaps it grabs the ball and lets it go SDTM. I'm sure I'll find more, but a leaky toilet has stopped all progress. At least with the machine down the wife can't play it...or complain about it.

If that is the case, the other rubbers are probably pretty worn also. Get a kit and do the whole machine. New sling rubbers especially can make a big difference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 38.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 249.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

£ 38.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-not-a-joke-scared-stiff-is-too-hard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.